HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NBA Jersey Ads Coming in 2017-18 (UPD: 76'ers sign deal w/ StubHub)

Old
05-16-2016, 11:34 AM
CoryForVezina
Aspiring 1%er

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
I think he meant (not that I speak for him) that those teams NEVER had THEIR logo on their chest ala a hockey jersey. It was always small in the upper left/right without the corporate logo.
Ah, re-reading the thread I can see how that could be what he meant. And it likely is, because interpreting it the other way made no sense.

CoryForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 11:38 AM
patnyrnyg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
Sounds like you (and everyone else saying some variant of "you just wait...") just want license to be mad about something that isn't happening/hasn't happened.
Said the same thing on corporate names of stadiums/arenas. When I was a kid, only corporate name I could remember was for Wrigley Field and that is a bit of a stretch as it was the Wrigley family that owned the team. Granted, some of them could have been corporate names, but it wasn't as obvious. For example, I have no idea of the significance of "Fenway" to the Red Sox.

patnyrnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:03 PM
Swervin81
Content Leaf fan

So begins the NASCAR-ization of our jerseys. Next, we'll see NASCAR style postgame interviews "I'd like to thank Coca-Cola and Petsmart.com for this great win, etc". And then eventually, we'll reach European hockey jersey level. Ugh.

Seriously, the ads on soccer jerseys is not a good comparable. Soccer has no TV timeouts during play and one 14 minute break at the half. they kind of need to get as many ads in game as possible.

Current GOAT Quote
Daisy Jane (re: Mitch Marner's chances of getting crushed by Dion): "but Marner isn't Phaneuf's team mate anymore.... why would Marner be in danger of being hit? I'd be more concerned about Lazar or Stone to be honest."
Swervin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:09 PM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by patnyrnyg View Post
Said the same thing on corporate names of stadiums/arenas. When I was a kid, only corporate name I could remember was for Wrigley Field and that is a bit of a stretch as it was the Wrigley family that owned the team. Granted, some of them could have been corporate names, but it wasn't as obvious. For example, I have no idea of the significance of "Fenway" to the Red Sox.
The stadium was built in the Fenway-Kenmore neighborhood of Boston, though, conveniently, the owner of the Red Sox at the time, John Taylor, also owned Fenway Realty Company.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:29 PM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac1212 View Post

I'm not really a Simpsons fan, but that never gets old.
Perfect.

DyerMaker66* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:39 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Soccer jerseys used to be with big team logo in the center (kinda like hockey now)...then slowly ads appeared...then slowly ad space grew and logo space shrinked.

Now...you have a huge ad in the middle and team logo in top left or top right.

So...in 10-20 years the PHILA will be ''STUBHUB'' and vice-versa.
I get all that, but my point is that we'll get used to it and soon it won't even be an issue. I'm not even sure why it is to begin with. It's not like I'm gonna stop being a Hurricanes fan if they put a Bojangles or Carl's Jr. logo on the front of the jersey.

Remember when people got upset about ads on the ice and the boards? Now no one even pays them any mind.

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:45 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
They were already wearing jerseys that said "PHILA", and that wasn't bad enough?

We all should know by now that this sort of thing has zero benefit to the fans. They're going to do it because it maximizes profit, period. If they can maximize profit by raising ticket prices at the same time, that's what they'll do. This is about only one thing: moving your dollar to their wallet.

Get ready for the inevitable announcement in a couple of years: "We're just adopting the commonplace standards for advertising in other leagues, which everyone should be used to by now." ahead of introducing the Amway logo on Wings jerseys.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:51 PM
Burke the Legend

I don't get why a club would do this. The clubs' logos and apparel are themselves brands, why would you dilute your own brand with someone else's? I mean, I know why, for quick $$$, but it diminishes your own brand long term. Coca-Cola could make a lot of money if they agreed to slap an IBM logo onto their products too but don't for obvious reasons.

I can see why minor league teams might do it because for them their club brands will always have limited appeal, their local draw is usually more of a value proposition than a lifestyle, and the extra $$$ for operational expenses is needed, but major league teams are big business and so are their brands. The Lakers, The Yankees, the Cowboys, and Leafs, the Canadiens are some of the most recognizable brands in their respective countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Remember when people got upset about ads on the ice and the boards? Now no one even pays them any mind.
They are still ugly. Maybe you don't get a chance to watch/play hockey in arenas that don't have boards/ice covered by a rainbow of corporate logos but it's much easier on the eyes.

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 12:51 PM
BattleBorn
Global Moderator
Dead Dove-Do Not Eat

In a somewhat coincidental timing move, MLB put similar patches on their uniforms this week for their Play Ball effort to get more youths involved in baseball and softball.

05-16-2016, 12:52 PM
PCSPounder
Stadium Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryForVezina View Post
See: Wolfsburg, Chelsea, Man City, Man U, etc etc etc

Actually, pretty much every major team in Europe. So I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Here are the jerseys as of 2014-2015 season in the Premier League:

Attachment 90069
I think you missed the point... but that picture is also telling in its own way.

Some of the color schemes look alike (West Ham and Aston Villa... noting that Villa is going down and Burnley is coming up next season) but are not perfectly alike, AND each of those patterns are a bit different. Point is, in most of the world, you can tell the team by the pattern of the uniforms. They never used the logo as the distinguishing point, and don't see the need to do that now.

Compare and contrast to the yellow Canucks skate logo, for instance. Sometimes you're better off just not doing that. Meanwhile, I see (NHL) the horizontal Canadiens stripe or (NBA) the Blazers diagonal stripes and I don't even need to know what the print says, I know who they are. Just saying. Problem there: the V sweaters Vancouver wore are close to what I'd have done, and I'm only somewhat conditioned to understand why nobody else liked them.

PCSPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
I don't get why a club would do this. The clubs' logos and apparel are themselves brands, why would you dilute your own brand with someone else's? I mean, I know why, for quick $$$, but it diminishes your own brand long term. Coca-Cola could make a lot of money if they agreed to slap an IBM logo onto their products too but don't for obvious reasons.

I can see why minor league teams might do it because for them their club brands will always have limited appeal, their local draw is usually more of a value proposition than a lifestyle, and the extra $$$ for operational expenses is needed, but major league teams are big business and so are their brands. The Lakers, The Yankees, the Cowboys, and Leafs, the Canadiens are some of the most recognizable brands in their respective countries.

They are still ugly. Maybe you don't get a chance to watch/play hockey in arenas that don't have boards/ice covered by a rainbow of corporate logos but it's much easier on the eyes.
I honestly don't even notice them anymore. It's kinda how like when you're in a room with 30 people who're all talking, but you can have a conversation perfectly fine with one person. You just kinda tune or the white noise.

Last edited by Carolinas Identity*: 05-16-2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typo
Old
05-16-2016, 01:04 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

It's much easier to stomach having ads on the ice and boards, because those aren't part of the brand of the team. Nobody identifies emotionally with the look of the boards. They're just boards, inanimate equipment that you barely notice even when the play is going on. Nobody takes the time to rank all 30 boards according to which one looks the best. We don't have big off-season discussions about someone leaking what the boards might look like next season.

Quite different from the jerseys, which you closely identify with the team and the players, and end up wearing yourself as a statement of personal identity.

Old
05-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
You Must Be Tired

vCash: 2626
Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleBorn View Post
In a somewhat coincidental timing move, MLB put similar patches on their uniforms this week for their Play Ball effort to get more youths involved in baseball and softball.

And it's bugged the hell out of me, though on some jerseys it stands out way worse than others (barely noticed it on the Cubs jerseys, while it stood out horribly on the Pirates' black jerseys and with the Cardinals' upward slanting script).

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:06 PM
Colin226
NJ Devils STH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
They were already wearing jerseys that said "PHILA", and that wasn't bad enough?

We all should know by now that this sort of thing has zero benefit to the fans. They're going to do it because it maximizes profit, period. If they can maximize profit by raising ticket prices at the same time, that's what they'll do. This is about only one thing: moving your dollar to their wallet.

Get ready for the inevitable announcement in a couple of years: "We're just adopting the commonplace standards for advertising in other leagues, which everyone should be used to by now." ahead of introducing the Amway logo on Wings jerseys.
100% correct. When ads on the ice and boards first came about, I'm sure it was met with anger.. "It's distracting!", "It ruins the playing surface!", etc, etc.... Does anyone complain about those ads now? If they do, they're too small of a minority to matter.

This whole thing is inevitable as we slowly become desensitized to more and more ads. Leagues are always exploring every little area to make more money. This one was all too obvious, they just need to do it in such a way that we begrudgingly accept it and move on. 20 years from now we'll be saying "Ads on jerseys is fine but I hate that they're now putting them on helmets." If it even takes that long for ads to spread to other parts of the uniform...

Colin226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:10 PM
Dirty Old Man
And yet, we remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
This whole thing is inevitable as we slowly become desensitized to more and more ads. Leagues are always exploring every little area to make more money. This one was all too obvious, they just need to do it in such a way that we begrudgingly accept it and move on. 20 years from now we'll be saying "Ads on jerseys is fine but I hate that they're now putting them on helmets." If it even takes that long for ads to spread to other parts of the uniform...
Meh, I've got other things to worry about. Ads don't bother me unless they're really, really distasteful - for example those 'AJ' bumper stickers that they slap on referee helmets at the IIHF, that's an instance where it's noticeably poorly implemented.

Dirty Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:23 PM
dilbert719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin226 View Post
My position's the opposite of that one you mentioned at the end there. Put the ads on the helmets. Put them on the breezers. Hell, slap a big-ol' "StubHub" right across the blade of the stick, if you like; I don't wear those. The jersey? That I do, and I object to being forced to represent any company other than the maker of the jersey if I'm to wear an authentic. If I'm to become a walking billboard, I want to be able to choose what company I'm advertising, not have a team make that decision for me.

dilbert719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Carolinas Identity*
#GoPERDS #win

Quote:
It's much easier to stomach having ads on the ice and boards, because those aren't part of the brand of the team. Nobody identifies emotionally with the look of the boards. They're just boards, inanimate equipment that you barely notice even when the play is going on. Nobody takes the time to rank all 30 boards according to which one looks the best. We don't have big off-season discussions about someone leaking what the boards might look like next season.

Quite different from the jerseys, which you closely identify with the team and the players, and end up wearing yourself as a statement of personal identity.

While I agree with you on the identification part, maybe you're not a football (soccer) fan, but honestly, it just doesn't matter to me, or probably billions of other football fans. I am a lifelong Aston Villa fan and certainly don't feel any attachment to quick books or dafabet, or whoever the next sponsor will be. Like I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, would it actually wound you if the Hurricanes came out next season with Bojangles or Carl's Jr. or w/e logos on their jerseys?

Old
05-16-2016, 01:31 PM
Butch 19
Go cart Mozart

for only $5m per year?

Why even bother Phila??

$5m per player and you're doing something.

$5m per team seems way too low to even bother. What's that pay for, your 11th and 12th players? is that really worth chasing?

Butch 19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:41 PM
Gator Mike

Closer than you think...

Gator Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 01:42 PM
Scottyk9
I love to hockey.

vCash: 432
Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Well safe to say the Devils will be among the first once the NHL allows it...

Damn it.

Scottyk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 02:10 PM
Disclose

vCash: 1513
it doesnt look that bad.
changing the color of the ads to fit the teams colors is a good idea.

when i look at soccer jerseys i can say "ew, that gold chevy logo looks terrible" but when the game starts, i just dont notice or care anymore cuz my attention its in the play and not the jersey.

Disclose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 02:23 PM
Buck Aki Berg
Done with this place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
for only $5m per year?

Why even bother Phila??

$5m per player and you're doing something.

$5m per team seems way too low to even bother. What's that pay for, your 11th and 12th players? is that really worth chasing?
$5 million, divided by 41 games, divided by 15,000 fans per game - that's $8 on every ticket that doesn't have to be tacked on. Now tickets will only go up $5-10 instead of $15-20.

Buck Aki Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 02:27 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinas Identity View Post
Bojangles
Would be ridiculous and embarrassing. Talk about devaluing the brand, let's associate our team with a fried chicken fast food chain. I wouldn't walk around wearing a Bojangles tshirt without feeling cheap, and now they're putting it on an NHL jersey?

The thing is, they'd probably be next in line after Compuware and PNC as potential advertisers.

Quote:
Carl's Jr.
Doesn't exist east of the Mississippi, so I'd look forward to a lot of free time from not having a team anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Aki Berg View Post
$5 million, divided by 41 games, divided by 15,000 fans per game - that's $8 on every ticket that doesn't have to be tacked on. Now tickets will only go up $5-10 instead of $15-20.
Tickets will be priced at whatever the market would bear. I know you're not naive enough to think teams are just going to flush $8/ticket down the toilet to be nice.

Old
05-16-2016, 02:43 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...151235968.html

From Puck Daddy, on how the $$ is split, what companies can/cannot be on ads.
Quote:
[Rovell]NBA teams will keep half of the money generated by selling sponsorships on jerseys, and that half will be further split in two, with one portion going to the individual team that does the deal and the other going to a revenue-sharing pool. The half that does not go to the teams will be split with the players and will contribute to a rising salary cap.
Teams are allowed to sell to any company so long as it doesn't deal in gambling, alcohol or politics. The NBA has given protected status -- meaning the companies' competitors can't show up on a team jersey -- to a number of its national partners: the media partners (ESPN, ABC, Turner), the apparel partner (Nike starting in 2017-18) and on-court partners Tissot (the official timekeeper) and Spalding (the official ball). No other league partners, including Ticketmaster, a StubHub competitor, are protected.
"$15m" in revenue for team. (So, is that the full amount, or the team's portion?)

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2016, 02:49 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Would be ridiculous and embarrassing. Talk about devaluing the brand, let's associate our team with a fried chicken fast food chain. I wouldn't walk around wearing a Bojangles tshirt without feeling cheap, and now they're putting it on an NHL jersey?

The thing is, they'd probably be next in line after Compuware and PNC as potential advertisers.
But that's one of points that can be scary.

Do we really expect owners to say no to Bojangles if that company is offering twice more cash than PNC or Compuware ? A wise business man would not care, NHL businessmen will care even less.

powerstuck is offline   Reply With Quote