HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

OT: NBA Jersey Ads Coming in 2017-18 (UPD: 76'ers sign deal w/ StubHub)

Old
07-06-2017, 07:43 PM
Brodie
voted best

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
The 2 have NOTHING TO DO WITH EACH OTHER
It also defeats the point... either the jersey is sacrosanct or the commercials are too much. You cannot have it both ways.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:03 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
I am as old-school as they come for sports, and I am a huge fan of hockey jerseys. I hate it when teams in any sport play with 15 different variations of their uniforms.

That said, I think this is an inevitability. I have a closet full of hockey, soccer and baseball jerseys. I will always cherish them. Eventually, I will have to decide whether or not I want to buy a new jersey with corporate logos. Since they are already all over soccer jerseys, I don't think it would prevent me from buying an NHL jersey with a logo.

So, IF it can/will generate more revenue for the league, I am all for it. However, if fans stop buying jerseys en masse, then it won't be worth it.

Anything that helps the league grow is a good thing.
I don't get this. Why would you be all for it if it makes other, very rich people even richer? Where exactly is the fan benefit of 'increased league revenue'? Your team's owner can buy a 3rd yacht?

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 01:02 AM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
I don't get this. Why would you be all for it if it makes other, very rich people even richer? Where exactly is the fan benefit of 'increased league revenue'? Your team's owner can buy a 3rd yacht?
Buying a jersey logo or no logo makes other very rich people even richer, so what's the point in splitting hairs between the two as if some cloth patch is what tips the entire thing over? The only solution to your complaint is to never buy any merchandise and never watch a game legally.

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 08:47 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Buying a jersey logo or no logo makes other very rich people even richer, so what's the point in splitting hairs between the two as if some cloth patch is what tips the entire thing over? The only solution to your complaint is to never buy any merchandise and never watch a game legally.
That's not my point at all. I didn't voice an objection to you doing things you enjoy that also happen to make rich people richer. Nothing wrong with that.

I voiced an objection to liking something solely because it makes a rich person (who is unknown to you) richer. The poster I quoted essentially said "Yeah I don't like it but if it increases league revenue I'm all for it!" which makes sense if you're a team owner, team official or player or a child/spouse of one of those...but not really as a regular fan.

These sponsorship patches are ugly so we can dislike them. The fact a guy like Stan Kroenke might make more money because of them is no reason to change your mind on it.

Old
07-07-2017, 09:11 AM
berklon

I don't see the big deal with them.

Everyone seems to want the game of hockey to grow, and that requires ways to make more revenue. There have been many changes made to the actual gameplay in the hope of trying to sell and grow the game - and that doesn't seem to be a problem. They put teams in markets that play to half-empty seats to keep up with this strategy as well - no issues I guess. The season is way too long and there are too many teams watering down the talent - but we accept that.

Why would putting an ad on a jersey that has absolutely no effect on the gameplay be a big deal? Do you enjoy the game less? When the play is on, would you even notice the ad? If the retail jerseys come with the ad - then don't buy it... or buy an older jersey that doesn't have the ad.

If there's an opportunity for them to make more revenue, they're going to take advantage of it. That's business.

berklon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 09:18 AM
Bizz
120% Banter

vCash: 50
fitting that the NBA would be first and the first big name company is literally a legalized scalping ring.

Bizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 11:27 AM
Ziggyjoe21

Send a message via AIM to Ziggyjoe21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
Here's the difference. Ads on the Ice doesn't bother me at all.

Ads on the team Jerseys make them ugly, and make me not want to wear them, or see them.

For exemple, if every Blue Jays cap had ''BANK OF MONTREAL'' written in huge, ugly font, right next to the Jays awesome retro logo.... well I would never buy one (or wear it).
Ads on the playing surface is pretty bush league, yet we all got used to it. They're A LOT more noticeable than a small patch on a jersey shoulder.
We'll get used to ads on jerseys too. It's not like they'll ever reach Finnish Hockey league levels.

I don't prefer it obviously, but literally no one will think twice about it after a week or 2.

Ziggyjoe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2017, 12:25 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
I don't see the big deal with them.

Everyone seems to want the game of hockey to grow, and that requires ways to make more revenue. There have been many changes made to the actual gameplay in the hope of trying to sell and grow the game - and that doesn't seem to be a problem. They put teams in markets that play to half-empty seats to keep up with this strategy as well - no issues I guess. The season is way too long and there are too many teams watering down the talent - but we accept that.

Why would putting an ad on a jersey that has absolutely no effect on the gameplay be a big deal? Do you enjoy the game less? When the play is on, would you even notice the ad? If the retail jerseys come with the ad - then don't buy it... or buy an older jersey that doesn't have the ad.

If there's an opportunity for them to make more revenue, they're going to take advantage of it. That's business.
There is absolutely no reason to believe collecting some extra money would 'grow' anything but the bank accounts of certain billionaires and millionaires. The fact that people consider the financial prospects of NHL team owners to be identical to the prospects of the 'game of hockey' shows how warped the mindset in these sports leagues is and how fans are taken for a ride.

Old
07-07-2017, 12:31 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 View Post
Ads on the playing surface is pretty bush league, yet we all got used to it. They're A LOT more noticeable than a small patch on a jersey shoulder.
We'll get used to ads on jerseys too. It's not like they'll ever reach Finnish Hockey league levels.

I don't prefer it obviously, but literally no one will think twice about it after a week or 2.
I doubt that. Uniform ads in European sports are still being talked about and people will comment on their ugliness even though that's literally been around for about 50 years. People mock the hockey leagues that have ads everywhere because of how ridiculous it looks.

A little patch may sound pretty harmless but as we already see with Brooklyn..the company that's paying you significant sums of money for the privilege of displaying their logo on your shirt doesn't care if your team colors are black and white and their corporate logo happens to be mostly red. The same would apply if the company logo was pink or purple or neon green. You don't think people would notice a neon green patch on a Leafs uniform? A pink patch on a Dallas Stars uniform? I think you'd find that to be very noticeable for a lot longer than a week.

Old
07-09-2017, 02:34 PM
Elephant Igloo

Quote:
People think the money goes back into the team and makes the team better. Yep, all the teams all get better!

Elephant Igloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:07 PM
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas

Quote:
Originally Posted by berklon View Post
They could just have the sponsor logo on the game worn jerseys, and regular consumer-sold jerseys in stores could be without the logo. It's the best of both worlds. Personally, I wouldn't want to wear a jersey with an obvious sponsor logo - as I don't like the idea of being a walking billboard. Of course, I'm in my late 40's and I'd feel weird wearing a jersey of any kind at this age. Personally, I think once you hit your 30's - jerseys shouldn't be part of your wardrobe.
Man, so that's my problem with the ladies! Too many jerseys in my wardrobe!

Quote:
All I said is if it helps grow the game, I am for it. The Gretzky trade to LA helped grow the game, I was for it.

If this makes the owners more money without growing the game, then yeah I am with you.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
All I said is if it helps grow the game, I am for it. The Gretzky trade to LA helped grow the game, I was for it.

If this makes the owners more money without growing the game, then yeah I am with you.
Has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with growing the game (and I take issue with that Gretzky comment as well but thats a whole other thread), everything to do with simply maximizing return, monetizing through advertising & sponsorships everything & anything they can. The NHL could argue that with the increased revenues jersey-ads create creating greater central revenues, more money to go into the Commissioners Development Fund. They can spin it a 1000 ways from Sunday really, and while Gary Bettman himself has stated that he's not in favour of it, he doesnt get to vote. Unfortunately "just one unobtrusive little shoulder or chest patch" is literally the thin edge of the wedge. No way no how does it stop with "just one little unobtrusive sponsor patch". No way. Just a matter of time before your looking at Nascar on Acid....

Goalie pads, blockers, unique one-off head-toe sandwich board in the crease; skaters socks, pants, gloves, helmets & jersey back's all apportioned off, 4Sale. End-zone Face-Off Circles. And you know what?.... It's coming. Too easy, too much $$$ just sitting there. One can only hope that people today, right now say "enough is enough already" what with the constant papering going on in NHL arenas as it is that you leave the jerseys alone, sacrosanct, hands off & stop it before it ever starts but then... when has the NHL ever really cared about what the fans think or that their in-game live experience at whatever building should be commercial free? Why, without those ad's (including jerseys) your ticket would be $500.... in Sunrise.... Carolina.... Ottawa... wherever. Cant survive without see? You should thank us & the sponsors.... How quickly people forget that "without the Lockouts, the game wont be affordable, you wont be able to buy tickets".

Last edited by Killion: 07-10-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Cacciaguida

I guess boycotting all companies that get jersey ads will have to do.

Cacciaguida is offline   Reply With Quote