HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

If Grebs is the Future of the Kings...

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Osprey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
Does this mean you are paying Osprey?
No, this board is jfont's house, so the drinks are on him

Old
12-04-2005, 11:00 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
No, this board is jfont's house, so the drinks are on him
Well jfont better have some deep pockets.........because I think it is pretty obvious that there are some huge drinkers on this board.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
This wasn't intended to be a battle. This was supposed to be a "you want him, you can have him" discussion.
It's certainly fine to express your frustrations with Grebeshkov, but there is no reason to bring the LA fans into the equation. I'm sure it was meant to be innocent, but given the nature of the first post, getting a reaction out of some people would not be unexpected.

Old
12-04-2005, 11:20 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

we dont get to watch Grebs play every game, but I think he still has a great chance of living up to the hype...in his first game in LA, he looked outstanding puckhandling and passing...the abilities are defintely there, perhaps just not the motivation while playing in the minors...after all, several of his peers have already moved on to LA

Old
12-05-2005, 05:54 AM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
we dont get to watch Grebs play every game, but I think he still has a great chance of living up to the hype...in his first game in LA, he looked outstanding puckhandling and passing...the abilities are defintely there, perhaps just not the motivation while playing in the minors...after all, several of his peers have already moved on to LA
I don’t think there are any of us who don’t think that Grebs has the ability & talent to make it as we have seen it on occasions. Unfortunately, it more the exception than the norm. Believe it or not, we actually get excited when one of the players we’ve been watching make it to “the show”.

One would think that because “several of his peers have already moved on to LA”, that would be motivation enough for Grebs.

Old
12-05-2005, 05:56 AM
BINGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
It's certainly fine to express your frustrations with Grebeshkov, but there is no reason to bring the LA fans into the equation. I'm sure it was meant to be innocent, but given the nature of the first post, getting a reaction out of some people would not be unexpected.
I guess you missed the "stupid" and "making things up" parts...

Old
12-05-2005, 06:44 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
I think the reaction is totally unexpected and way over the top. The fans - or more precisely the posters here and on LGK - have continuously shown their interest in getting Grebs to LA in spite of what I or anyone else has had to say regarding Grebs on-ice performace while in Manchester. Why wouldn't I bring that up? It's stating the obvious. They want him and we don't. In large part I'm doing nothing more than agreeing with them, albeit sarcastically. Some didn't appreciate the sarcasm and as far as I know we've gotten over that. Some didn't appreciate the title of the thread. Frankly I think the title of the thread is just fine. I wouldn't change it even if I could and I'd likely do it again. I think it's a fine title for a post on this board, over-reactions to it to the contrary.

Old
12-05-2005, 06:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 450
If he is coughing up the puck "yet again" he obviously has more to learn. Like how to make an outlet pass.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-05-2005, 06:58 AM
hockeynutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
And I said I'm not entirely ready to concede he has played as poorly as some suggest. Of course, I haven't seen him (and will only get 1 chance when he comes to the Ricoh Coliseum) but I merely made a comparison between Grebeshkov's situation and Corvo's situation.

for the monarchs' next game, go to www.monarchshockey.com, click on B2 network, plop down $6 & watch the game. you'll get a small glimpse of what we've been talking about regarding grebs. he has moments of absolute brilliance; the rest of the time, he's skating around lost.

Old
12-05-2005, 07:10 AM
King Blazer

Monarchs next game:

Portland Pirates (Ducks)
Fri. Dec 9, 7:35 pm (east)
Home

Old
12-05-2005, 08:07 AM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by BINGO
I guess you missed the "stupid" and "making things up" parts...
No, I didn't. Reggie started the thread so it is easy to determine what order each comment came in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
I think the reaction is totally unexpected and way over the top. The fans - or more precisely the posters here and on LGK - have continuously shown their interest in getting Grebs to LA in spite of what I or anyone else has had to say regarding Grebs on-ice performace while in Manchester
This is an internet message board...what sort of reaction should you expect? The gist of the posts isn't so much that "Grebeshkov sucks", but that "you guys are wrong for thinking that Grebeshkov is any good". See what I'm saying?

So what...nobody listens ( which I wouldn't consider accurate anyway )? Who cares?

Old
12-05-2005, 08:42 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
This is an internet message board...what sort of reaction should you expect? The gist of the posts isn't so much that "Grebeshkov sucks", but that "you guys are wrong for thinking that Grebeshkov is any good". See what I'm saying?
I see what you're saying. And yes, I happen to think they're wrong. But on the other hand, they happen to think we're wrong. So what? I'm not calling them out for "making stuff up", i.e. having an opinion. And if I called out every thread title on this board because I thought it was stupid I'd be busy most all day long. However, I kind of let those slide, because it doesn't contribute. By the way, the thread title isn't stupid; it's accurate considering Grebs ranking on this website (HF) and the opinions of many - but not ALL - opinions I've read here.

Yes, this is an internet message board. And yes, sometimes people over react. However - this is an internet message board. I posted a pertinent message. Your interpretation of that message is certainly "AN" interpretation. Another interpretation might have been - perhaps should have been - "Grebs sucks, but you guys still think he's a valuable cog in the machine, and there's no better way to prove or disprove that other than bring him up. We want that to happen, a good majority of the LA posters want that to happen, and Grebs wants that to happen. So, do it."

I stand by that, too. Bring Grebs up. It's time to stink or get off the pot.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:54 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

I'm curious, manchester fans, is there a possibilty Grebeshkov is just bored? I duno if this argument can lay with him, but hopefully it will give some light into why he's regressed.

And although, yes, he is the #1 ranked prospect, I agree with the other posters, that doens't equate to being the "future" of the kings. But, he his still highly regarded, nonetheless. From what little I saw of him, he did seem like he had the potential to be the #1 defender. It's too bad he's gone down as you guys speak of him. But what can you do, prospects are prospects, they all are a risk.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:08 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur
I'm curious, manchester fans, is there a possibilty Grebeshkov is just bored? I duno if this argument can lay with him, but hopefully it will give some light into why he's regressed.

And although, yes, he is the #1 ranked prospect, I agree with the other posters, that doens't equate to being the "future" of the kings. But, he his still highly regarded, nonetheless. From what little I saw of him, he did seem like he had the potential to be the #1 defender. It's too bad he's gone down as you guys speak of him. But what can you do, prospects are prospects, they all are a risk.
Bored, disappointed, disheartened? Perhaps. I don't think that he's gone down in so much as he's really never gone up. IMO, he's been inconsistent since his arrival in Manchester a few years ago and is still very inconsistent.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:37 AM
Kick

To me, the fact that Grebeshkov did not make the team (Kings) out of training camp speaks volumes. That tells me he is no better than any defenseman that is currently on the Kings roster, Joe Corvo included. Fact of the matter is that Grebs was sent to Manchester before Richard Petiot was and when the Kings thought they need a defenseman earlier this season the call went out to Manchester for Petiot and not Grebeshkov. Maybe someone else other than Monarchs fans are seeing (or not seeing) some things about Denis.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:59 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

well when I saw him, I was impressed with his positioning. It seemed like no matter what moves the forwards would try to pull on him, he was right there in the right place to prevent people from going around him. Also, he had ripped a cannon of a shot from the point into the top corner at the game I saw. Then what else I noticed about him was that he seemed to connect his passes well, tape to tape. Of course, I did not get to see him as much as you guys did, so maybe his passes got worse, or maybe I just happend to see him on a good day. It's kind of funny hearing how he's become the modry of our prospects.

Oh well, we had a lot of good prospects come out over the last few years. I don't think Grebeshkov hurts our development record too badly.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:23 AM
King Blazer

Quote:
well when I saw him, I was impressed with his positioning. It seemed like no matter what moves the forwards would try to pull on him, he was right there in the right place to prevent people from going around him. Also, he had ripped a cannon of a shot from the point into the top corner at the game I saw. Then what else I noticed about him was that he seemed to connect his passes well, tape to tape. Of course, I did not get to see him as much as you guys did, so maybe his passes got worse, or maybe I just happend to see him on a good day. It's kind of funny hearing how he's become the modry of our prospects.

Oh well, we had a lot of good prospects come out over the last few years. I don't think Grebeshkov hurts our development record too badly.
Those are all valid observations KPD. I'd be lying if I said I've never seen Grebs do what you've described and more. Unfortunately, more often than not, he tends to follow up an incredible shift with one that includes questionable decisions and what appears to be an incredible let-down of intensity and concentration. Most players have an "off" night here and there, to a certain degree, it's expected. Nobody (especially the player) likes it, but it does happen. With Grebs, it's not the occasional "off" night, it's more of a what's he going to do this shift?

Old
12-05-2005, 10:28 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:

I would trust KB's assesments like you would trust your closest friend.
His assesments on players, especially with Grebs, are incredibly close to the feedback I receive from scouts. (Almost to a scary level of similiarity.)
We have an incredbile resource with our friends back East keeping us updated on our prospects. Think of the difference between the Monarchs updates and the occasional blips we get on our European and CHL prospects.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:42 AM
King Blazer

Thanks kj...

Tonight, MrKen48, hockeynutz and I will be with Monarchs Head Coach Jim Hughes for an hour or so of Q & A. I assure you that we'll try to get something out of him wrt Grebs as well as others. This is the 3rd season that Hughes has been Grebeshkov's coach and hopefully he'll be willing to share some insight.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:53 AM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Tadite and others, what might be "lost" to you is the hype the organization has put around Grebs in Manchester. Ken, Reggie, CMGDC, nutz, AHL and I watched the kid on a regular basis for two years and basically could see he didn't have it. Then we're treated to "gems" like how "the new rules really play right into Greb's game" and how much more "of a force he's going to be under the new rules", "difficult to contain" my personal favorite was Denis' game is well suited for the new rules and players are going to have to adapt to play his game...

In short, he HAS been called the FUTURE OF THE KINGS, on several occasions out here...
which is why i wondered why you were so reluctant to call him a bust over on LGK a couple of days ago... i've had my finger on that trigger because of both what i've seen in Grebeshkov, and what ALL of you guys have to say about him throughout the year.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:54 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat
which is why i wondered why you were so reluctant to call him a bust over on LGK a couple of days ago... i've had my finger on that trigger because of both what i've seen in Grebeshkov, and what ALL of you guys have to say about him throughout the year.
I'm reluctant to call him a bust for a couple of reasons.

1. His age
2. His skills set

What he has yet to do is play on a consistent level for any appreciable length of time. When I ask Scouts, Coaches and GMs why some players that have the skills sets to compete in the NHL become "career minor leaguers", the common answer I hear is consistency. Sure there's also other individual based factors but I've asked the question many times and it usually comes back to consistency. The ability to bring it on a nightly basis.

I guess I'm holding onto the hope that something finally clicks for Grebs and he gets "it" (consistency).

Closed Thread