HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery is a strange individual !

Closed Thread

Old
12-04-2005, 08:32 PM
habitue*

vCash: 500
Avery is a strange individual !

I just came back from seing the movie about Maurice Richard - good movie by the way.

The thing that most surprised me is seing Sean Avery playing in this film dedicated to one of the greatest and grittiest -if not the greatest and grittiest- French-Canadian player in the history of the NHL.

Avery was playing a minor league goon called Dill who was recalled by the Rangers from the minors back then to play against the Habs - and take care of the Rocket.

It just happened that the Rocket just creamed the poor Dill with some memorable punches.

Avery was EXCELLENT in that role - no doubt. Just his face and his grin - the same face he is showing in all modern day arenas - was enough to hate him.

NOW... How come a guy who was hired (and payed) by a Quebec producer (and eventually by all of us who are going to see the movie) to play in a movie dedicated to a cult figure for French-Canadians can come up few months later with that garbage about those "visor-wearing" French guys ?

Old
12-04-2005, 08:44 PM
La Grosse Tendresse

My take on all of this: Avery doesn't believe the crap that he says.

Dandenault put it best when he said that he is like a "bad guy wrestler". He talks crap, he hits dirty and then when the real heat is on he acts like a coward. Exactly like a bad guy wrestler.

Avery says things to get under the skin of others, and it works tremendously well. Whether he thinks it or not, his role is to do that, and he is great at it.

Old
12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Mogo
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Whats this movie called (Maurice Richard?)

Edit:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460505/

Vinnie Lecavalier, Ricci, P.Dupuis among many many others in this movie.

Old
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo
Whats this movie called (Maurice Richard?)

Edit:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460505/

Vinnie Lecavalier, Ricci, P.Dupuis among many many others in this movie.

yes, it's entitled " Maurice Richard"

Ricci is playing Elmer Lach, and we see him a lot. But Avery got the next most noticable role (from real hockey players).

Lecavalier is playing Béliveau
Quintal: Dollard Saint-Laurent
Laperrière; ???

Old
12-04-2005, 09:55 PM
marioroberge

It's exactly like the guy said a few posts up. Avery does it to get under people's skin and he does a great job of it. I don't think he's an idiot in any way. I think that he's doing his best to stir the pot and he does a great job.

Old
12-04-2005, 10:08 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Ian Laperrière = Boum Boum Geoffrion ,

Philippe Sauvé = Jim Henry

Old
12-04-2005, 10:11 PM
habs1988

I saw this movie yesterday and it was pretty. If you go see that movie, don't think you'll see often the NHL players. I've seen Quintal once....Lecavalier I don't remember....so...

Old
12-05-2005, 09:58 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003
I saw this movie yesterday and it was pretty. If you go see that movie, don't think you'll see often the NHL players. I've seen Quintal once....Lecavalier I don't remember....so...

He was sitting right next to Quintal in the train.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:52 AM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by marioroberge
It's exactly like the guy said a few posts up. Avery does it to get under people's skin and he does a great job of it. I don't think he's an idiot in any way. I think that he's doing his best to stir the pot and he does a great job.
Stirring the pot on the ice, I don't care, even if I think it's as manly as diving...

Making racial remarks in the newspaper is pointless and plain stupid IMHO.

I think he's an idiot.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:51 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jester099
Stirring the pot on the ice, I don't care, even if I think it's as manly as diving...

Making racial remarks in the newspaper is pointless and plain stupid IMHO.

I think he's an idiot.
His one redeeming quality is that he is smart enough to know that drawing penalties keeps him employed and he knows he is working at walmart otherwise.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:41 PM
jester099

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
His one redeeming quality is that he is smart enough to know that drawing penalties keeps him employed and he knows he is working at walmart otherwise.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...type=2&pos=all

I think that is way overrated.

Most of his penalties aren't for fighting... So he doesn't bring someone with him all the time...

Old
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Come on, the guy has 15 points in 27 games - he's like Begin, but more skilled.

He has Tucker's mouth... that can prove to be a problem but at the very least, he's entertaining. He thinks french players with a visor have no guts, one just have to call him up and prove him wrong. We look like cowards whining about that IMO.

Old
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué

NOW... How come a guy who was hired (and payed) by a Quebec producer (and eventually by all of us who are going to see the movie) to play in a movie dedicated to a cult figure for French-Canadians can come up few months later with that garbage about those "visor-wearing" French guys ?
Avery isn't racist, he just speaks a tad too often without thinking. Sort of like Brett Hull, Roenick etc..

I think he is good for the game. Brings a little excitement to an otherwise dull off-ice regular season.

Old
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Come on, the guy has 15 points in 27 games - he's like Begin, but more skilled.

He has Tucker's mouth... that can prove to be a problem but at the very least, he's entertaining. He thinks french players with a visor have no guts, one just have to call him up and prove him wrong. We look like cowards whining about that IMO.
It's all a matter of opinion I guess, but I just don't see the entertainement value of cowardice. If we're trying to grow the game and using him as a poster boy, you're basically saying that acting like coward and jerk is the way to play hockey. But I agree, he is more skilled than Bégin, and his hockey skills get underrated because of people don't like him.

Avery is a pretty skilled hockey player, but he yaps, dives, turtles etc...basically does everything a respectable hockey player shouldn't do. Anyways, I've spent too much time already complaining about him, but suffice to say that I don't approve of his style of play and I don't think it does anything to benefit the league's image.

Old
02-07-2006, 01:37 AM
Canadarocks

I haven't seen the movie (it hasn't come out in Alberta yet) but I've heard about the real Maurice Richard/Bob Dill incident. Was Bob Dill mking a bigoted comment about French Canadians the reason Maurice Richard beat the crap out of him? I thought I heard that. It was the reason for a lot of him fights anyway. If that's true, Sean Avery must be playing on his image.

Old
02-07-2006, 11:21 AM
Pats Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitué
Ricci is playing Elmer Lach, and we see him a lot.
Guess Ricci had a real 'nose' for the job

Old
02-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Maxpac

huh? i thought Ricci was Toe Blake, sure looked like him, i didnt know that Blake was a show-off like that when he was a player

Closed Thread