HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kobasew signs for 3 years/$7 million dollars

Old
05-13-2008, 05:23 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Kobasew signs for 3 years/$7 million dollars

So 2-time twenty goal-scorer and a career best 39 points gets $7 million over three years. There is a UFA season bought, but man... what is it with the contracts these days? Paille's agent has to be dancing a jig right now out of glee.

05-13-2008, 05:30 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Um....what?

This is a great deal. Kobasew is a very good two-way forward who has the potential to score 30 goals. He plays hard every shift and will only get better.

I guess you haven't noticed, but the Bruins are not a high-scoring team. It's a defense-first system. If Chucky was on another team, he'd have better numbers.

However, with a healthy Bergeron, Kobasew has the potential to hit 30+. It's not easy to score when your center is Glen Metropolit.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:31 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Kobasew looked good last year, and I thought he'd have had a higher point total than that. I think that's a Gilbert-esque contract in terms of hoping that in a year or two, it's a steal. He's also a good defensive forward and kills penalties I believe

Paille's agent most certainly is doin' a little dance, but if Paille thinks he's getting that yet, he's dreaming.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Um....what?

This is a great deal. Kobasew is a very good two-way forward who has the potential to score 30 goals. He plays hard every shift and will only get better.

I guess you haven't noticed, but the Bruins are not a high-scoring team. It's a defense-first system. If Chucky was on another team, he'd have better numbers.

However, with a healthy Bergeron, Kobasew has the potential to hit 30+. It's not easy to score when your center is Glen Metropolit.
In relation to Paille, who does a lot of similar things to Kobasew while bouncing around the lineup (including some very productive time with Adam Mair as his center), it's a benchmark higher than I would rather Paille have available to measure himself against.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
In relation to Paille, who does a lot of similar things to Kobasew while bouncing around the lineup (including some very productive time with Adam Mair as his center), it's a benchmark higher than I would rather Paille have available to measure himself against.
Difference is, Buffalo plays a "run and gun" type of game, whereas the B's are a defense first team. If they switched places, Kobasew would have gotten 50+ points.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:38 PM
ColonelForbin

They're probably screwed again in terms of signing their players. The raises for Miller, Poms, and the other RFA's will eat up a lot of the salary they'll be willing to spend.

Any extra space to bring in players probably has to come from shipping out Max/Kotalik/Connolly.

ColonelForbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 05:40 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Difference is, Buffalo plays a "run and gun" type of game, whereas the B's are a defense first team. If they switched places, Kobasew would have gotten 50+ points.
Buffalo dialed it down as the season wore on, but they weren't an ardent 1-4 team like the Bruins. I doubt Paille's agent is planning on negotiating from the stance that someone with comparable output in the NHL was playing for a team differing stylistically.

Old
05-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelForbin View Post
They're probably screwed again in terms of signing their players. The raises for Miller, Poms, and the other RFA's will eat up a lot of the salary they'll be willing to spend.

Any extra space to bring in players probably has to come from shipping out Max/Kotalik/Connolly.

It looks more and more like the payroll space they will need will have to come not only from departures but from potentially moving those guys on and back-filling with MacArthur and maybe another rookie.

Old
05-13-2008, 05:53 PM
WreckItRask

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Buffalo dialed it down as the season wore on, but they weren't an ardent 1-4 team like the Bruins. I doubt Paille's agent is planning on negotiating from the stance that someone with comparable output in the NHL was playing for a team differing stylistically.
Just a note, but Paille's career stats are barely better than Kobasew's stats from last year (and kobasew played in a few less games last year). Also, Kobasew played in the cup finals a few years ago on Calgary and has played in 33 playoff games already, whereas Paille has only played in one career playoff game. I'm not sure who will have the better career, but their numbers are not really comparable right now when thinking about a contract. Comparing two player's numbers in one particular season don't always tell the whole story. For example, Ales Hemsky had better numbers than Marian Hossa this year in less games...who's better?

This is a good deal for the Bruins.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Just a note, but Paille's career stats are barely better than Kobasew's stats from last year (and kobasew played in a few less games last year). Also, Kobasew played in the cup finals a few years ago on Calgary and has played in 33 playoff games already, whereas Paille has only played in one career playoff game. I'm not sure who will have the better career, but their numbers are not really comparable right now when thinking about a contract. Comparing two player's numbers in one particular season don't always tell the whole story. For example, Ales Hemsky had better numbers than Marian Hossa this year in less games...who's better?

This is a good deal for the Bruins.
It might be a grand deal for the Bruins, that doesn't change that it helps set market price for Paille. They fill similar two-way roles for their respective clubs. This isn't advocating pro-or-con for either guy, just the observation that they're similar style players with similar output.

Also, 1 assist in a 26 game playoff and being dead last among players who played in all 26 games in ToI isn't really a great benchmark for Chuck. He happened to be in the right place at the right time, but he wasn't much of a contributor to that run at all.

Old
05-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

Quote:
I understand the point you're trying to make but Paille never played on a scoring line. Run-and-gun or not, guys like Adam Mair, Paul Guastad, and Pat Kaleta don't exactly boost your personal numbers. Not to mention the fact that Kobasew also played 4 and a half minutes more per game than Paille, including a full 2 minutes more per game on the PP. Kobasew and Paille are very comparable players IMO, I think all we're saying is that a 3 year/$7 million deal isn't exactly what we were hoping Paille would get.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Mergus merganser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post
I understand the point you're trying to make but Paille never played on a scoring line. Run-and-gun or not, guys like Adam Mair, Paul Guastad, and Pat Kaleta don't exactly boost your personal numbers. Not to mention the fact that Kobasew also played 4 and a half minutes more per game than Paille, including a full 2 minutes more per game on the PP. Kobasew and Paille are very comparable players IMO, I think all we're saying is that a 3 year/$7 million deal isn't exactly what we were hoping Paille would get.
It doesn't mean he will get that much money. Look at pommers last deal. People with his stats were getting a lot more than 1 million a season and we somehow pulled off that deal.

Mergus merganser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2008, 09:08 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

I think a lot of people are missing Chain's point, perhaps because of the wording of the title.

The point is not that the deal is bad for the Bruins, or that Paille will necessarily get the same amount, but that now that this deal has happened there's a better chance that Paille could command a similar contract, which is bad for the Sabres.

Am I right?

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2008, 03:40 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montag DP View Post
I think a lot of people are missing Chain's point, perhaps because of the wording of the title.

The point is not that the deal is bad for the Bruins, or that Paille will necessarily get the same amount, but that now that this deal has happened there's a better chance that Paille could command a similar contract, which is bad for the Sabres.

Am I right?
It means Paille's price has gone up. I was hoping for 4 years/6 million, now it may be closer to 1.8-2 per.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote