HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Nice Wing over a good-looking Caps team

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 10:08 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

vCash: 500
Nice Wing over a good-looking Caps team

Wings win 4-3 over the cap in a game that should make all of us pine for Eastern Conference hockey.

Not sure what the hell is going on. Maybe it's proximity to the head offices in New York, but Eastern conference hockey has been much more exciting than Western conference hockey this year.

* Great game by Zetterberg, who's continuing to show that he belongs at center. He looks faster at center. Don't ask me why, but he does.
Worked like crazy, too.
His play is sparking lots of trade proposals for Robert Lang around the net.
Again, I'd like to see Lang play the wing, where he won't be a defensive liability. But I've seen lots of Murray for Lang proposals out there and we know that Boston ain't happy with Murray. I don't like Murray's game that much. I know it will upset you guys who want a big bad forward, but I'd rather have Samsonov.

* Great goaltending at both ends of the ice. I'm no Osgood fan, as you know, but I wouldn't pencil in Legace for the starting job just yet. If Ozzie can find a groove (a big if, if you ask me) he could win the starting job back and never let Manny have it back.

* Nice goal by Datsyuk today. But does anyone else think that he's not doing a very good job going to the net? Even on the powerplay, he's always on the boards. He picked up a no-assist assist on the lidstrom goal (I call those JWill assists, where you just give it to the point guy and let him score). But he needs to be moving when he's got the puck. He needs to be skating toward the goal. Too much crap along the perimeter.
Defensively, Datsyuk needs to stop following the puck around like a dog chasing a squirrel.
He makes lots of good plays, but he need to find a guy and tie him up.

* Shorthanded goal was ugly. Bad pick by Woolley. Bad Read by Schneider, who should have know his only job was to block the pass to the slot. Bad coverage by Datsyuk. Not sure how the Cap got THAT far in front of him when they were basically even at center ice. Bad goal for Ozzie. There was only one guy to worry about, and he didn't play it very well.

* Datsyuk and Shanahan don't have any chemistry to speak of. Thats the trouble with Pavel. Seems like he only works well with Z, who's finding his game centering his own line, and Hull, who's golfing in Arizona.

* Okay, I'm trying to get a look at Hudler. I don't think he got a third period shift against the Devils. Maybe one or two.
And then tonight, he got benched midway through the first.
From what I was able to see, he was skating well and trying to make things happen tonight. So why was he benched?
He didn't seem to make any mistakes that would warrant a benching.
I get the feeling that Babcock doesn't like the kid. I'm starting to get irritated with the way Detroit is treating this guy.
Who knows? Maybe he's telling Babcock to stuff it after every shift. I don't know. But from what I'm seeing on the ice, he deserves better.

* Maybe we shouldn't assume this is Chelios' last season.

* Based on what I've seen this year ... so far ... I like Ovechkin over Crosby.
Speed. Big hits. Agressive. Nose for the net. Goes to net. Shoots like crazy.

* Who else besides Ovechkin and Zubrus plays forward on the Caps? Sheesh? The Caps ought to have been the team that picked up Fedorov. Note to Caps fans: Kessel is NOT the next Crosby.

Either way, they're fast and they hit like crazy. But they lack skill

* Anyone notice Shanny and Witt getting into it a bit after Witt took the dive after the high stick from Shanny?
Anyone think there may have been more than coincidence on hand when Shanny's slapper took Witt down in the third?
I know players used to shoot at people on purpose. I bet they still do.

* Really like Steve Eminger.

* Kirk Maltby/Kris Draper/Johan Franzen didn't even sniff the net tonight.
Franzen isn't noticeably slipping from early season form.

* Mika Samuelsson is pretty hot and cold, isn't he?

* Williams needs to stop effing around in his own end.

* Lebda is good for at least one glaring giveaway every game now.
I sure hope Kronwall is coming back this year.

* The Hudler benching really bugged me.
Just made me think of Dave Clueless, which is never a good thing.
If you're not going to play him, send him down. Bring up Matt Ellis or Daryl Bootland or Tomas Kopecky for these two minute cameos

*But hey, Babcock's job is to win, right? That's two in a row.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:43 PM
Higgy4

Good post. I pretty much agree with everything you said.

The Hudler pine riding is really bugging me too. What the hell is the point of him being up here?

Old
12-09-2005, 10:54 PM
doublejack

Ditto. What is most baffling to me is that Babcock & Holland seemed to be at odds over Hudler. Holland wanted to leave him in GR and said as much on AM 1270 the day of the Islanders game. Babcock didn't overtly contradict Holland, but he made enough public comments praising Hudler that it was clear he wanted him called up.

So, Babcock wins and Holland reluctantly brings Hudler up to Detroit. What happens? He gets benched after 4 periods seeing minimal ice time. WTH?

Old
12-09-2005, 10:56 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Ditto. What is most baffling to me is that Babcock & Holland seemed to be at odds over Hudler. Holland wanted to leave him in GR and said as much on AM 1270 the day of the Islanders game. Babcock didn't overtly contradict Holland, but he made enough public comments praising Hudler that it was clear he wanted him called up.

So, Babcock wins and Holland reluctantly brings Hudler up to Detroit. What happens? He gets benched after 4 periods seeing minimal ice time. WTH?
Good point.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:35 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
* Great goaltending at both ends of the ice. I'm no Osgood fan, as you know, but I wouldn't pencil in Legace for the starting job just yet. If Ozzie can find a groove (a big if, if you ask me) he could win the starting job back and never let Manny have it back
I have to say that Ozzy looked solid tonight, he made a nice stop on Alexander Ovechkin. He deserves to start next game(s)

Quote:
* Okay, I'm trying to get a look at Hudler. I don't think he got a third period shift against the Devils. Maybe one or two.
And then tonight, he got benched midway through the first.
From what I was able to see, he was skating well and trying to make things happen tonight. So why was he benched?
He didn't seem to make any mistakes that would warrant a benching.
I get the feeling that Babcock doesn't like the kid. I'm starting to get irritated with the way Detroit is treating this guy.
Who knows? Maybe he's telling Babcock to stuff it after every shift. I don't know. But from what I'm seeing on the ice, he deserves better.

* Maybe we shouldn't assume this is Chelios' last season
I agree on both points! Hudler only got 2:58 minutes off ice time...what is up with that. No point of keeping with the Wings then!

I read in articles that Chelios is doing pretty well the last couple of weeks. Makes me happy. Great to see that he still can skate on NHL level.

Thanks for the post m8

Old
12-10-2005, 01:38 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Question!

Why did Woolley on played 6:47 minutes
Injury? Bad plays?

and

Yzerman only played 6:38 minutes. I know that his average is 10 but 6:38 is very low!

Old
12-10-2005, 01:39 AM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
murrays game isnt too great? maybe he needs out of boston. Everyone didnt mind his game when he was playing good, the guys needs a change of scenery for sure and lang isnt what we need... samsonov is smaller then lang, hes a downgrade in the strength department, definitely not what we need.. shany would be the biggest scorer we got, theres soemthing to look forward too... another first round exit

Old
12-10-2005, 01:42 AM
zetterberg40

hudler should stay in GR. Holland needs to figure out how he can use hudler. Being a guy who needs top 6 minutes, holland kinda has to trade someone away or put a great guy like williams in a new role.... thrilling

Old
12-10-2005, 04:31 AM
Coffey77

Murray isn't a power forward. He's like Shanahan pretty much. I'd love to get Samsonov because Wings need a speed upgrade badly. He's a UFA though. Lang for Samsonov?? That way Wings can leave Zetterberg at center, get a potential linemate for Datsyuk and added speed to the team. Boston gets a center to compliment center Bergeron (1-2 punch) and get something for UFA Samsonov who may leave.

Zetterberg looking faster? Interesting. Sucks, IMO that's the only thing holding him back from becoming a star.

Retarded what they are doing to Hudler. 2:58 of ice time? Might as well have kept Mowers in that role. At least they could
(A) keep Hudler developing in the minors
(B) save money by keeping Hudler in the minors.
Personally I'd like Filppula (I'll spell it right someday) to be called up instead, I think Babcock likes him better and he's pretty fast.

Old
12-10-2005, 05:23 AM
interminded

Quote:

* Great goaltending at both ends of the ice. I'm no Osgood fan, as you know, but I wouldn't pencil in Legace for the starting job just yet. If Ozzie can find a groove (a big if, if you ask me) he could win the starting job back and never let Manny have it back.

Ozzy played a good game indeed.
Nice of you to recognize that.

The goals he allowed weren't really stoppable. Just good goals. What can you do ?

Babcock also was satisfied:
(source: Detnews.com)

Quote:
Goalie Chris Osgood had 28 saves and, along with the help of his penalty killers, was up to the task during a 54-second two-man Washington advantage midway in the third period.

The Wings were holding on to a 3-2 lead.

"This was his best game since I've been here," Babcock said.

Getting consecutive starts has given Osgood the opportunity to get comfortable in net.

"I definitely felt better tonight," Osgood said. "As I go along, and play more, you obviously get confidence and you play better in there. I'm seeing the puck better and everything else comes naturally."

Old
12-10-2005, 06:26 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuJo#31
Question!

Why did Woolley on played 6:47 minutes
Injury? Bad plays?

and

Yzerman only played 6:38 minutes. I know that his average is 10 but 6:38 is very low!
i think it may be b/c he pinched in on PP at a bad time which led to the SHg. not sure.

Old
12-10-2005, 08:18 AM
Allsmokenopancake

Quote:
* Who else besides Ovechkin and Zubrus plays forward on the Caps? Sheesh? The Caps ought to have been the team that picked up Fedorov. Note to Caps fans: Kessel is NOT the next Crosby.
The problem with the caps forwards is they have plenty of grind it out type, not enough snipers.
They play Chris Clark (who I am loving since he came over from calgary) on the top line. He is a great heart and soul grinder with speed who will get you garbage goals, but is not a top 6 RW. If some of the prospects pan out, we could have a couple more sniper types up from hershey next season. But it will be ugly this season, better next season and hopefully playoff bound the season after that.

I know the caps are losing, but they go balls to the wall every night. I would take this team over the crap the had with Jagr giving up in 03/04.

I was sort of suprised, but not that suprised to see them hang in so well with the wings.

Datsyuk has some sick moves too.

Good game to watch, pity my beloved caps lost, again

Old
12-10-2005, 11:01 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsmokenopancake
I know the caps are losing, but they go balls to the wall every night. I would take this team over the crap the had with Jagr giving up in 03/04.
I here ya.

The test will come in the dog days of February. Will the team still be skating and working if they are out of the hunt.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:49 AM
zetterberg40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffey77
Murray isn't a power forward. He's like Shanahan pretty much. I'd love to get Samsonov because Wings need a speed upgrade badly. He's a UFA though. Lang for Samsonov?? That way Wings can leave Zetterberg at center, get a potential linemate for Datsyuk and added speed to the team. Boston gets a center to compliment center Bergeron (1-2 punch) and get something for UFA Samsonov who may leave.

Dont believe anyone here said murray was a power forward.. murray is a big bodied guy who can use his body to score and outshine others. He isnt a powerful guy just a big bodied guy. Samsonov is a ufa after this year, hes small, only thing hes good for for us is hes fast. Shanahan would then be OUR biggest forward who has potential to score, ect...

that will make us go from a awesome regular season team to a playoff first round exit... size and grit keeps you in the playoffs, not finessem, speed and small stature inless u play easier opponents. If we played calgary in the playoffs with sammy and no lang, might as well kiss it bye.

Old
12-10-2005, 12:46 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allsmokenopancake
The problem with the caps forwards is they have plenty of grind it out type, not enough snipers.
They play Chris Clark (who I am loving since he came over from calgary) on the top line. He is a great heart and soul grinder with speed who will get you garbage goals, but is not a top 6 RW. If some of the prospects pan out, we could have a couple more sniper types up from hershey next season. But it will be ugly this season, better next season and hopefully playoff bound the season after that.

I was sort of suprised, but not that suprised to see them hang in so well with the wings.

Datsyuk has some sick moves too.

Good game to watch, pity my beloved caps lost, again
You guys put up a hell of a fight...don't shortchange your efforts at all.

That was a pretty good move on Pasha's goal...one move, three people at his mercy...gotta love it.

Let's do it again next season!

Closed Thread