HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fedor Tyutin / Jason Strudwick

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 03:54 AM
Behn Wilson

vCash: 500
Fedor Tyutin / Jason Strudwick

Hawks fan here. Just wondering how your rookie defenseman is coming along? I see his point toal has slowed down but how has his overall play been? How is he in his own zone.

Ive always liked him and tried to follow him. He is the player I wanted the Hawks to draft with our second first rounder that year which we completely wasted on goalie bust Adam Munro.

This may be one of the best rookie dmen crops ever this year with Phaneuf, Seabrook, Meszaros, Tyutin, Whitney and the two kids on Phoenix, Ballard and Michalek. Hawks have another rookie dman in Duncan Keith who has been a pleasant surprise also.

Last edited by Behn Wilson: 12-05-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old
12-05-2005, 06:08 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behn Wilson
Hawks fan here. Just wondering how your rookie defenseman is coming along? I see his point toal has slowed down but how has his overall play been? How is he in his own zone.

Ive always liked him and tried to follow him. He is the player I wanted the Hawks to draft with our second first rounder that year which we completely wasted on goalie bust Adam Munro.

This may be one of the best rookie dmen crops ever this year with Phaneuf, Seabrook, Meszaros, Tyutin, Whitney and the two kids on Phoenix, Ballard and Michalek. Hawks have another rookie dman in Duncan Keith who has been a pleasant surprise also.
Tyutin has struggled so far this season.Playing with Tom Poti will drag you down to his level.When Tyurin was called up during the 2003-04 season,Tyutin excelled when he was paired with Boris Mironov.Even with his struggles,Tom Renney keeps sending Tyutin out there instead of burying him in the stands or in the minors as a few of my fellow Ranger fans have suggested

I like Duncan Keith.Remember him with Michigan State.Brent Seabrook is a stud

Old
12-05-2005, 06:30 AM
eco's bones

Tyutin has been a bit inconsistent. As Rangerboy posted he's been paired mostly with Poti which is not necessarily a good thing. Poti has been out now and he's teaming with Strudwick at least until Poti returns to the lineup. He has not played a lot on our PwP. Renney seems to prefer using Roszival, Poti, Malik and sometimes Straka as his pointmen so if that continues I wouldn't expect big offensive numbers out of Fedor. He may be in the 20-25 point range. Most important for a D'man anyway is his defense and Fedor like his compatriot (kondratiev) still has some rookie mistakes to work out of his system. All in all though he should be a very good player.

Old
12-05-2005, 07:06 AM
Behn Wilson

Loved Strudwick when he was with the Hawks. He was a fan favorite here. While not the most talented played in the world, he gave it his all every shift, and never backed down to anyone.

I liked him more as a banger and crasher on the fourth line than as a defenseman where his skating deficiencies were more noticable. But I doubt you will find one fan in Chicago that has a bad thing to say about Strudwick, I didnt know he had ended up you you guys. His name literally brought a smile to my face, I enjoyed watching him play here.

A young dman like Tyutin sounds like an ideal guy to pair with Strudwick, you wont find a better teammate and noone will mess with him physically when Jason has is back. Interesting note on Strudwick. While he was injured with the Hawks, he filled in as our color commentator on tv/radio and he was pretty good.

Poti is terrible in his own zone. We had him last season in Chicago, except his jersey said Berard on it.

Last edited by Behn Wilson: 12-05-2005 at 07:35 AM.
Old
12-05-2005, 07:19 AM
shoothepuck

He will be a good player in the NHL, but as stated above, being paired with Poti has hurt his development.

Old
12-05-2005, 08:00 AM
Levitate

like other said, he's been up and down this year...like last game against the caps, he made several nice plays 1 on 1 against ovechkin, but also coughed up the puck a few times and didn't tie up his man on one of the goals

Old
12-05-2005, 09:13 AM
Fletch

Tyutin's struggles...

have zero to do with Poti 'dragging him down' and everything to do with Tyutin's energy level and sense of urgency; and I'd argue that Tyutin, at times, has brought down Poti. He's a steady defenseman, but just doesn't come to work everyday. With him, it's consistency more than anything else. At 22, I think he has time to find it.

Old
12-05-2005, 09:35 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
have zero to do with Poti 'dragging him down' and everything to do with Tyutin's energy level and sense of urgency; and I'd argue that Tyutin, at times, has brought down Poti. He's a steady defenseman, but just doesn't come to work everyday. With him, it's consistency more than anything else. At 22, I think he has time to find it.
I hate to say this, but Toots is looking every bit as enigmatic as Malakhov. Hopefully, he shows up to play more often that Malakhov did.

Old
12-05-2005, 10:33 AM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
I hate to say this, but Toots is looking every bit as enigmatic as Malakhov. Hopefully, he shows up to play more often that Malakhov did.
Yeah, I'm starting to worry that the guy I was expecting to be the next Teppo Numminen might become the next Boris Mironov.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Fletch

Which would be fine...

if there's a top four defenseman in the wings waiting. But, we do have to remember his age. He's not used to playing 82 games at this level, and playing with a high intensity level for that many games is difficult. We'll see - I first thought of the Malakhov-like comparisons back in his first stint and saw the same briefly in Hartford. It's so early in the game for him - so many other defensemen are still getting up to speed in the AHL and other leagues.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
Nemchinov13

Tyutin looked great at the beginning of the season. He was our most consistent and at times, best defenseman for the 1st 10 games. Then he just slowed down. What worries me is that he is not using his full strength. I remember at the end of 03-04, he was able to pin down one man with one arm and wrestle the puck away from another man. Lately, he's losing loose puck battles. He is still great positionally, but it seems as he was playing with more enthusiasm. As far as Malakhov comparison is concerned, at least Tyutin is not getting beat one-on-one.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:41 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
I agree with you more than less Fletch. I think though Drats situtation with Kaspar is better though. Fedor is making his share of mistakes that have nothing to do with his partner.

To Behn Wilson--Strudwick has been pretty solid for us. He's had 17 pm and 15 of them are from fights. He's good positionally despite his skating deficiencies and has played very smartly for us.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Nemchinov13

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
I agree with you more than less Fletch. I think though Drats situtation with Kaspar is better though. Fedor is making his share of mistakes that have nothing to do with his partner.

To Behn Wilson--Strudwick has been pretty solid for us. He's had 17 pm and 15 of them are from fights. He's good positionally despite his skating deficiencies and has played very smartly for us.
Oh, absolutely. I love Struds. A committed team player. If we had him in place of Mironov/Malakhov/Purinton, our defense wouldn't have been so horrendous the last few season.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:47 AM
Fletch

On Strudwick...

I actually have a mixed view. He seems like a great teammate to have, but after playing well in the Carolina game, a game in which I didn't think he'd do too well, I don't think he's played that great. His lack of footspeed is often too evident. I think that has slowed down the Rangers' attack somewhat.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
I actually have a mixed view. He seems like a great teammate to have, but after playing well in the Carolina game, a game in which I didn't think he'd do too well, I don't think he's played that great. His lack of footspeed is often too evident. I think that has slowed down the Rangers' attack somewhat.

Hes a great team player. Thats why I said I liked Strudwick better as a fourth line crash and bang forward. He switched between forward and defense regularly when he was with the Hawks. I think if he plays a regular shift on defense, his shortcomings are exposed. We have a pretty comparable player right now in todd Simpson, though I like Struds better.

Last edited by Behn Wilson: 12-05-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Old
12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Fletch

The problem, Behn...

is that Hollweg's a better crash and bang (because he gets up and down the ice better), and Ortmeyer's more useful.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:39 PM
Behn Wilson

Quote:
The problemwith Strudwick is that Hollweg's a better crash and bang (because he gets up and down the ice better), and Ortmeyer's more useful.
Every team can use a player like Strudwick though. There are better players, thats for sure. Hes nice to have at the end of the bench though. Even if he is your combo 13th forward / 7th dman and doesnt dress every game he still fills a role. We had a couple guys like this in Chicago for years in Bob McGill and Cam Russell. Not the most talented guys in the room but tough guy / solid role players.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:50 PM
Fletch

I'm not saying drop him...

just saying that I don't think there's a regular role for him, but he's useful when there's injuries, so he could get into a fair amount of games in a season. And these players I speak of are better in terms of usefulness, as well as mostly filling the same role as Strudwick.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:54 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
just saying that I don't think there's a regular role for him, but he's useful when there's injuries, so he could get into a fair amount of games in a season. And these players I speak of are better in terms of usefulness, as well as mostly filling the same role as Strudwick.

I like Strudwicks attitude. Good team guy. That is why he had been on alot of teams, lot of teams like his character.

Closed Thread