HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tim Gleason

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Tim Gleason

What are the thoughts by you people about Tim Gleason ?
Were you "happy" about the fact you could trade him for Smolinski (I know the Ottawa management didn't want to pay his demands).
Did you see a talent in him before and what are you feelings now ?

IMO the deal was good for both teams. I don't know how Smolinski is playing at the moment because he hasn't scored a point yet but he was a great asset in the play-offs last season.

Of course the season is still fresh but Gleason is unexpected one of the better Kings defenseman at the moment.

Good luck tomorrow, lets hope it will be a great game for both teams

-Frolov 6'3-

Old
10-14-2003, 03:00 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
the only thing I read/heard was that he didn't want to play in Canada, and wouldn't crack the sens lineup for a few years which he wasn't happy about.

How's he looking down there?

Old
10-14-2003, 03:12 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
How's he looking down there?
Surprisingly good. I'm usually very skeptical about youngsters but, thus far, he has looked very good.

Shown some offensive flash and has actually had a couple breakaways already. (granted he missed but just getting breakaways is an impressive feat for a 20 year old defenseman) Terrific skater, as advertised. And he has been making reliable decisions in the backend. He is keeping it simple and it is working. I think his problem in Junior was trying to be too fancy and it led to mental gaffes. I'm guessing he is getting the picture that in the NHL, everybody is too good to be trying that crap.

All in all, he is looking very impressive. Good shot, can skate very well and is big and physical. Certainly has the tools to be a great defenseman and as the years go by he should really hone his skills. I can't wait to get a look at Grebeshkov in the not so distant future. A Grebs-Gleason tandem is going to be great down the line.

Maybe even Lidstrom-Blake good.

Old
10-14-2003, 05:19 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
Maybe even Lidstrom-Blake good.
maybe not those guys...but he is having a jackman type season thus far...but its early.

10-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Skrymir

I'm glad to hear he's doing well... I was really disapointed when he was traded as he was one of our top prospects.
My only concern with Gleason was his hockey sense. He had all the tools to be great at any level, bt not the best tool box.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:55 AM
Observer

vCash:
Was Gleason not injured in a game recently? Can anyone confirm it was nothing serious?

Gleason will one day be a top defenceman in the NHL. It hurt having to let him go, but I think it was a good move for everyone. Gleason wouldn't have gotten any NHL experience with the Sens for a couple years; he's started with the Kings this year. The Sens got Smolinski in return and he's fit right in and has proven to be a solid player - one of the missing pieces.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:03 AM
Volchenkov

I was a little disappointed by the trade at first, but after giving it a little thought I liked the deal and still do. Gleason didn't bring anything to ottawa's defense that we don't already have - his strengths/weaknesses reminds me a lot of Karel Rachunek. The sens also have Chris Phillips for pure speed on defense, so they don't really need speed on defense. Thus, in some ways, to the Ottawa senators, Platil (although a far inferior prospect) has more value. Seeing as Gleason would only be a 5th or 6th defenseman on the sens at best, it wasn't really neccessary to keep him.

I hope Gleason does well.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:46 AM
lars1970

Send a message via Yahoo to lars1970
Gleason has looked very solid and is fitting in well. He has a made a few bad decisions, but none that have led to a goal. He has iced the puck a few times when he didn't need to. However, that is better than forcing a pass through the slot.

He is a great skater and seems to fit in with the Kings system very well. Andy Murray seems to like him and that is a victory in and of itself. AM is pretty tought on rookies and holds them accountable just as he does the veterans.

I miss Smolinski though. It will be good to see him back in LA. IF the Kings can't win the Cup, then I hope the Sens do.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:39 AM
David A. Rainer

Send a message via MSN to David A. Rainer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Observer
Was Gleason not injured in a game recently? Can anyone confirm it was nothing serious?
He took a knee on knee hit from Brooks Orpik and suffered a bruised leg (could have been much, much worse). He missed the remainder of that game but came back and played well against Chicago a few days later.

10-15-2003, 09:58 AM
gted85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfont
maybe not those guys...but he is having a jackman type season thus far...but its early.
jackman?
the good one or the worse one?
(St. Louis)----------(Toronto)

Closed Thread