HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Bulis syndrome

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 11:32 AM
type_v

vCash: 500
The Bulis syndrome

I don't know how many people noticed this play last game:
Bulis is on the offensive zone and litteraly plays past a King who tries to drag him down. Bulis uses his strength and speed to get away from the player (beatiful right?), seconds later he;s near the blue line in prime position for a traffic shot, a pass near the slot, or even a cross ice pass to a D for more room and more offensive pressure.
What does he do you ask? He trips over himself and the kings go on the attack.

Can anyone explain these symptoms (another one being, the missing of golden opportunities)? Any suggestions for a cure?

Old
12-05-2005, 11:33 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
The best thing Jan can do is revert to a wooden stick. The one piece composites are magnifying his lack of hands.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:35 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Bulis cannot finish. He has size and speed...It gives him at least a one breakaway every game. I'm not even exaggerating. He either misses open nets or shoots the puck hard into the pads.

Old
12-05-2005, 11:38 AM
tinyzombies

He has no release (or variety of releases) or vision. He should study some tape of Joe Sakic or something. His hands aren't as bad as people claim. He does have a few nice moves and is capable of a clever pass every now and then. It's only at top speed that you can see he doesn't have elite hands, but his hands aren't all that bad.

It's all mental with him. He needs to sit down and think it through some more about what to do in the offensive zone to create better chances and then how to move the puck before shooting to change the goalie's plane of vision.

Sakic has a bunch of feints, releases in half-stride, inside releases, feints/move the puck/release.....Bulis has to add this to his game. Right now he just tries to power it by the goalie, or he hangs on to it too long without shifting the goalie's vision....he just slides the puck along with him and waits. That move could become more effective if he adds the feints previously mentioned because he'll be less predictable. I'm not sure he's strong enough to have a Sakic half-wrister from the top of the circle tho...

He has the speed to back the defender up and then use him as a screen with a quick release. Don't know why he doesn't consider that either.

Zednik has the same problem, but at least he goes to the net and goes to scoring areas.

Changing gears from being on a checking line to being on an offensive line can't be easy either.

If he's playing with Ribs, he has to go to the net and look for a slip pass. That is all Ribeiro ever does, but his wingers don't move to the net, they tend to stand around (Ryder).

Last edited by tinyzombies: 12-05-2005 at 11:56 AM.
Old
12-05-2005, 11:39 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
He could always borrow Crosby's dryer.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:03 PM
oli500

He might not be able to finish but he can sure hit post. To bad they dont count as points. If all those goal post would of been goals he would off had at least 7 goals.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:17 PM
Quagmier

He needs to harness his speed a little and focus on control, otherwise he'll never have a scoring touch.

i get the feeling that the reason he was so dynamic in the Czech league was because it was a slower pace and he wasn't as rushed. because as of now that seems to be his only weakness... he's rushing everything and tripping over himself in the process.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:29 PM
V-2 Schneider

In other words, he's a faster, better forechecking version of Patrick Poulin.

It will mean his job will be ripe for the plucking by one of our prospects.

Old
12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Capitano

If I were the coach, I'd tape Bulis' stick to his hands, lock the door, give him about 75 pucks and get him to shoot each one.

When he was done, I'd get him to do it over again.

And again.

Cap

Old
12-05-2005, 01:03 PM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by type_v
I don't know how many people noticed this play last game:
Bulis is on the offensive zone and litteraly plays past a King who tries to drag him down. Bulis uses his strength and speed to get away from the player (beatiful right?), seconds later he;s near the blue line in prime position for a traffic shot, a pass near the slot, or even a cross ice pass to a D for more room and more offensive pressure.
What does he do you ask? He trips over himself and the kings go on the attack.

Can anyone explain these symptoms (another one being, the missing of golden opportunities)? Any suggestions for a cure?

I'd tell him to stay away from Chris Higgins... they seem to go into the same direction...

Old
12-05-2005, 01:28 PM
Kirk Muller

I say people should just let Bulis be Bulis instead of dogging on him every time he misses a scoring chance. He isn't a scorer, deal with it. At most he'll score between 10 to 20 goals per year. He plays the pk, is an excellent forechecker, good defensively, and is always hustling.

He isn't an offensive dynamo, far from it. Neither is half the team, and they aren't dogged every time they miss a chance. You need Bulis types on your team. Hockey is played at two ends.

Old
12-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Tuggy

vCash: 1484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
I say people should just let Bulis be Bulis instead of dogging on him every time he misses a scoring chance. He isn't a scorer, deal with it. At most he'll score between 10 to 20 goals per year. He plays the pk, is an excellent forechecker, good defensively, and is always hustling.

He isn't an offensive dynamo, far from it. Neither is half the team, and they aren't dogged every time they miss a chance. You need Bulis types on your team. Hockey is played at two ends.
Best post on the Bulis subject in a LONG time.

I don't understand why he gets so much flack. This guy works his *** off every shift and creates open ice for his teammates. Him, Zednik and Plekanec created a bunch of offense chances and carried the play most of the time when they were on the ice. So Bulis doesn't have Kovalev's hands but it sure would be nice if the rest of the team had his work ethic(Some guys do).

Old
12-05-2005, 01:47 PM
type_v

Don't get me wrong, I love him for what he does and is one of my favorite habs.
It's merely frustrating to watch him squander 9/10 scoring chances. I've said it before, if he had the finishing touch of Dagenais, we would have one the the best forwards in the league, instead of one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Old
12-05-2005, 01:55 PM
Des Louise
Formerly E=CH2

I also like Bulis a lot. But I hate Julien's use of Bulis.

No way he should be playing on the first line or on the PP in Kovalev's absence.

Old
12-05-2005, 04:02 PM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy
Best post on the Bulis subject in a LONG time.

I don't understand why he gets so much flack. This guy works his *** off every shift and creates open ice for his teammates. Him, Zednik and Plekanec created a bunch of offense chances and carried the play most of the time when they were on the ice. So Bulis doesn't have Kovalev's hands but it sure would be nice if the rest of the team had his work ethic(Some guys do).
Agreed.

Wish people understood that Bulis isn't a scorer. Although Julien using him on the first line doesn't help people make this distinction. If anything, I think Julien is rewarding him for his hard work and determination. He also brings a lot of speed on that line. Too bad he doesn't have the vision and release to go with it.

Old
12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
tritone

Quote:

Ahhhhhhhh the refreshing sound of reason

Old
12-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Renholder
Racing like a pro

Bulis, ah good ol' Jan. He hasn't changed much has he. Hey, atleast he's consistant at what he does well and at what he doesn't. He's our version of Afinogenov. Can't finish for his life but looks real good trying.

Old
12-06-2005, 08:43 AM
Stefan_Latulippe

Bulis is and always will be a one-way player, which is a defensive player.

Old
12-06-2005, 08:53 AM
tinyzombies

Bulis put up strong offensive numbers in Europe and I think people had an outside hope that it would carry over to the NHL.

Personally he's one of my favorite players to watch. I wasn't dogging him, just point out the obvious. Actually, I think he's overrated as a defensive player as well.

Old
12-06-2005, 08:59 AM
Joe Cole

You know... that post about him reverting to a wooden stick may have some merit. The puck just rolls off his stick when he is pressured.

No one can deny he is trying, but.... remove all offensive responsibility and give him a stick that he can feel the puck with.

Old
12-06-2005, 09:13 AM
Capitano

Quote:

I have no problem with that. But he shouldn't be playing on the first line if we're expecting 10 goals.

Cap

Old
12-06-2005, 10:06 AM
znk

So....short for Bulis Syndrom is BS ?

Old
12-06-2005, 10:13 AM
degen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano
If I were the coach, I'd tape Bulis' stick to his hands, lock the door, give him about 75 pucks and get him to shoot each one.

When he was done, I'd get him to do it over again.

And again.

Cap
Funny story, I was a caps season tic holder and one year at the caps open house, Jan was running the "Shooting Accuracy" display. You had to shoot a little plastic puck thru the 5 holes in a plastic goalie over a net. The plastic puck was so light you could really whip it w/ a wrister, and I got lucky and nailed them in I think 7 rapid fire shots.

Jan looked shocked and said "Wow, good shooting!" and patted me on the back. Impressed my wife but I was thinking maybe he shouldn't be quite so impressed.

Oh well, back to the previously scheduled programming.

david

Old
12-06-2005, 10:23 AM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by degen
Funny story, I was a caps season tic holder and one year at the caps open house, Jan was running the "Shooting Accuracy" display. You had to shoot a little plastic puck thru the 5 holes in a plastic goalie over a net. The plastic puck was so light you could really whip it w/ a wrister, and I got lucky and nailed them in I think 7 rapid fire shots.

Jan looked shocked and said "Wow, good shooting!" and patted me on the back. Impressed my wife but I was thinking maybe he shouldn't be quite so impressed.

Oh well, back to the previously scheduled programming.

david
Bulis was probably shocked cause you beat his record by about 15 shots.

Old
12-06-2005, 10:38 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
Bulis was probably shocked cause you beat his record by about 15 shots.
hahahahaha, this isn't nice :p

Closed Thread