HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whats the deal with Luongo?

Closed Thread

Old
12-05-2005, 06:19 PM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Whats the deal with Luongo?

I keep seeing threads about him being traded, why does Florida want to get rid of him? How come the flyers keep getting mentioned as getting him?

Old
12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Yertle The Turtle

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via MSN to Yertle The Turtle Send a message via Yahoo to Yertle The Turtle
1. I think I heard that he wants out of Florida

2. People dont trust the goaltending we have now ?

Old
12-05-2005, 07:08 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost
why does Florida want to get rid of him?
He turned down a contract offer and took arbitration this year, he will be a free agent after the season.

Quote:
How come the flyers keep getting mentioned as getting him?
Because writers are lazy.

Old
12-06-2005, 02:49 PM
pellefan31

if the flyers get him they will trade esche for him.

flyers won't have 2 goaltenders that are 1st stringers.

it will be luongo and nitty.

lol luongo won't be able to wear 1 with philly.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:01 PM
Maggle Cole
VINTAGE WWE APP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love
He turned down a contract offer and took arbitration this year, he will be a free agent after the season.

He will be RFA at the end of this season.

Old
12-06-2005, 03:23 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Love

actually, even more interesting, the Panthers took him to arbitration... not the other way around. (assuming i recall correctly)

Old
12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
actually, even more interesting, the Panthers took him to arbitration... not the other way around. (assuming i recall correctly)

You're right.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
Old
12-06-2005, 03:32 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Also Florida has struggled mightily this season...and there was expectations of contending for the playoffs. Luongo's agent said he wants to play for a contender and would pursue that in the future if that's not FL. It would be better for FL to deal him while his value is at its highest...this offseason teams can look at the UFA goalies like Turco and Nabokov, on January 1st Roberto and the team may not be able to come to terms on an extension as well which would diminish his return for FL.

I personally think that Philly keeps getting mentioned with regards to Luongo because of several young and enticing players like Richards, Carter, Gagne, etc. that Florida would possibly ask for in return.

Old
12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
RJ8812*
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
He will be RFA at the end of this season.

no, he's going to be 27 April 4th, meaning he'll be a UFA

Old
12-06-2005, 05:06 PM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Flyers_
no, he's going to be 27 April 4th, meaning he'll be a UFA
Except the age for UFA only lowers to 29 w/ 4 seasons or 8 total seasons next summer. Luongo has accrued 7 seasons after this one.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=131133&hubname=nhl

Old
12-06-2005, 05:54 PM
markzab

Send a message via AIM to markzab
That's right. He will be an RFA. I had this same argument last night...and lost.

Old
12-06-2005, 09:09 PM
OleOleOleOleBureBure

i am hearing Luongo for Eshe and Richards or Carter

Old
12-06-2005, 09:11 PM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleOleOleOleBureBure
i am hearing Luongo for Eshe and Richards or Carter
From where?

You have to post sources here or things get closed right quick.

Old
12-06-2005, 09:24 PM
markzab

I think Nitty was reading the boards earlier and read my posts.

Old
12-06-2005, 09:25 PM
bennysflyers16

I would love Luongo, but I don't want to give up the Wonder twins or anything that could make it happen. Nitty and Esche should be good enough for this team to win

Old
12-07-2005, 09:35 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
I would love Luongo, but I don't want to give up the Wonder twins or anything that could make it happen. Nitty and Esche should be good enough for this team to win
Agreed. Luongo seems to be a tad overrated on these boards anyways. I also heard that there's a certain goalie in New Jersey who's a free agent at the end of this season as well. Personally, even though he's 35 or 36, that would be the guy I want on my team.

Old
12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Agreed. Luongo seems to be a tad overrated on these boards anyways. I also heard that there's a certain goalie in New Jersey who's a free agent at the end of this season as well. Personally, even though he's 35 or 36, that would be the guy I want on my team.
Turco will also be an UFA,

Old
12-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
i think Luongo was the best goalie in the league the last time around (and stats back me up on that), which has nothing to do with any talk on this board. guy was absolutely amazing... now, he hasn't done it in the playoffs, which is a definite knock against him for the time being. however, can't judge what you haven't seen.

in short... i would much rather have Luongo in the long-term. i also think there is ZERO chance that Marty would come down the turnpike.

Old
12-07-2005, 04:49 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
i think Luongo was the best goalie in the league the last time around (and stats back me up on that), which has nothing to do with any talk on this board. guy was absolutely amazing... now, he hasn't done it in the playoffs, which is a definite knock against him for the time being. however, can't judge what you haven't seen.

in short... i would much rather have Luongo in the long-term. i also think there is ZERO chance that Marty would come down the turnpike.
The turnpike reaches Dallas?

Old
12-07-2005, 06:10 PM
lynchmob450

Forget about Luongo coming to Philly. Firstly, we have Frank playing SOLID hockey right now. This is exactly what we've been waiting for...and now we have it (at least for another week). Frank deserves to be our backbone in the 2006 playoffs.

Also, any of you wanting to get Luongo would have to accept giving up Carter or Kramer. And on top of that, you'd also be kissing goodbye to another couple of players (probably a package of Handzus & Kim J.) to pull off such a deal. And finally, adding Luongo would have a dramatic impact on the Flyers' cap situation in 2006.

I say...let this rumor die.

Old
12-07-2005, 06:20 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynchmob450
Forget about Luongo coming to Philly. Firstly, we have Frank playing SOLID hockey right now. This is exactly what we've been waiting for...and now we have it (at least for another week). Frank deserves to be our backbone in the 2006 playoffs.

Also, any of you wanting to get Luongo would have to accept giving up Carter or Kramer. And on top of that, you'd also be kissing goodbye to another couple of players (probably a package of Handzus & Kim J.) to pull off such a deal. And finally, adding Luongo would have a dramatic impact on the Flyers' cap situation in 2006.

I say...let this rumor die.
I agree with everything you said, even about letting the rumour die. I however don't think we'd have to package all of what your saying (Carter, Handzus, Nitty, Johnsson). Not even close, IMO.

Old
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Procrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by markzab79
I agree with everything you said, even about letting the rumour die. I however don't think we'd have to package all of what your saying (Carter, Handzus, Nitty, Johnsson). Not even close, IMO.

Who do you think you would have to give up? sharp and meloche?

Old
12-07-2005, 10:15 PM
lynchmob450

Quote:
Sorry...my bad. I meant to say a package including one of the kids with either Kim J. OR Handzus (i'm pretty sure Luongo is priced at around $3 million or so for this year. And i am sure he will be looking to get around $5 million per year to get him locked up longterm.

Anyways....all i am saying is that the Flyers should not be in play for Luongo. Let ride Frank!

Old
12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
markzab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinator
Who do you think you would have to give up? sharp and meloche?
They'd be your best players (inside joke)

I think either Richards OR Carter plus Nittymaki would be more than enough. After watching Luongo over the past several games though, vs. the play of Nittymaki, I'd definitely hold off on any trades right now.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:05 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
They'd be your best players (inside joke)

I think either Richards OR Carter plus Nittymaki would be more than enough. After watching Luongo over the past several games though, vs. the play of Nittymaki, I'd definitely hold off on any trades right now.
Exactly. Why trade for a goalie who is going to cost you a fortune? I mean, as good as Luongo is, he's been playing poorly as of recent. Maybe he's trying to get out of Florida, but there's no way Keenan lets Luongo out without ripping out a huge chunk of some other team's future. Why should that future be ours?

I really like Frank and I think he's finally getting it all together. Unlike playing with the Phantoms, where he was the number 1 guy, it took him a bit of time to adjust to the number 2 role. Now that Esche is out, this week and next will determine how far Niitty goes in terms of the goaltending pipe in Philadelphia. If he shines, and he's already proven that he can shine, then he goes to the number 1 spot and gives Esche even more time to get healthy. If he doesn't, then he goes back to number 2 and Esche gets put back into the number 1 role.

It's also December and this is usually the time the Flyers begin their big mid season roll in which they'll win a lot, and lose very few. Yes, I realize we have injuries, but we're also going to be getting some key players back soon. That should be enough to help get us through the month of December. By the time mid-January rolls around, we get Pitkanen back and we should get Desjardins back at the end of January. We should be in good shape and I know I'm not gonna fret about it.

Closed Thread