HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After game thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 07:03 PM
Markov79

vCash: 500
Well I just got home from the game. Here are my thoughts on the whole experiance.

-Ryder is providing alot of enrgy for his line. He hits, creates turnovers and crashes the net. He has definatly been a factor in the level of play of his linemates.

-90% of my section booed the US anthem, ***holes.

-Markov is a abit cocky, made some careless mistakes.

-People who bring political signs to a hockey game deserve to be kicked out.

-Hainsey is improving every game. Abit jittery but he made some smart moves. Played abit too cautiously sometimes.

-The 16 year old girls behind me sounded like someone was shoving Barbie through a meat grinder.

-Rivet isn't reacting very well to the play. Always chasing the puck around.

Summary: A great game that gives me hope when it comes to a spot in the playoffs. However, I have reaffirmed my belief that you should never go to a hockey game in october or during a playoff run. The arena is just packed with people who are looking for an excuse to get drunk and stupid. November-February is when the diehards show up.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:14 PM
ttnorm

Well I guess not scoring in the preseason isn't such a big deal, is it? :p

Excellent game. All 4 lines had the Caps on their heels. The final was a bit misleading because Washington got nothing from Charpentier tonight (the Audette goal was brutal!) but still the Habs tipped the ice all night.

We saw a glimpse of the Higgins forecheck tonight finally with two linemates who can skate at the NHL level. He'll be fine down the road.

Juneau has shown good jump in his skates to start the year (to my surprise). If he can maintain this level, he can really help this team.

I am actually not looking forward to seeing Begin and Langdon right now the way the Habs can dominate with their skating.

Two very good games but still just two games - means little in the big picture.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:34 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
Seems to me the Habs are going to encounter a serious problem in a short period of time, and I'll be very interested to see how they manage to work out of it.

Of course, the problem is a joyous one for the brass.

I'm not sure how many watched young Higgins that closely, or how many followed Hainsey carefully, or indeed how many watched Quintal with an eagle eye, but I forsee some seriously tough decisions in the very near future.

Despite his lack of playing time, Higgins doesn't look out of place, and in fact I thought he was the best tonight on that line with Sundstrom and Ward. He might be slightly behind the other two in development (purely an age factor) but I think he's gaining extremely rapidly. He brings far more to the table than does Ward and with just a little more confidence, could easily take Ward's place...when Saku makes it back to the lineup.

Hainsey looks stronger and stronger as we move along, and he's starting to play with some good confidence. Hopefully it doesn't go to his head like it has in the past, but one has to believe that another full year of maturity is going to wear on him quite well. At this point, he's making a strong case for remaining on the club.

Quintal, on the other hand, was directly responsible for the goal, and because he's about two steps slower than everyone else on defence, I wonder if Komisarek might be introduced sooner rather than later into the lineup. If I were Gainey, I'd be looking to see if there was a club out there interested in a mostly solid mature defenseman, who is also a leader, to help bring along a lot of kids. Quintal could, and probably should, be on the outs with Komi ready to step in.

~~

Notes:

Theo: I can't remember the last time he's had this little work. His positioning was good, though, which helped account for why most of the Cap shots hit him in the crest. The goal was stoppable - if only barely. A-

Hainsey: His best game yet. Positionally he's infinitely better than game one, and he's starting to play a simpler game which will ultimately benefit him in the future as he matures. B

Brisebois: Another solid game playing withing his means. There was only real major gaffe, but fortunately it was outside the defensive zone. B+

Quintal: I like his poise and his strength, but he's just not able to keep up anymore. When someone fast rushes him, his passes are a mess and/or he screws up. Now, that said, he still played a solid game other than his one major gaffe. B-

Souray: As many hoped, he's moving quickly back to the point he was at in the playoffs two years ago. It'll still take a few more games, but I suspect, with the improvement he's made in such a short time, that he's going to be a solid force for the year. A pairing with Komi would be quite interesting to see. B+

Rivet: Controlled game. He's the solid defenseman that let's Markov play to his full potential. Few errors and a mean streak looks good. B+

Markov: Better and better each game. He's starting to feel comfortable and take chances - but they're carefully chosen and, for him, of a higher percentage. He needs a little more seasoning on the PP. A-

Ward: His skating is still painful to watch, but at least it's serviceable now. Didn't create as much offensively as one might hope, but he showed a good responsibility defensively. B

Higgins: Triple the ice time, and probably deserved more. Even stepped out on the PP and the PK which shows some wonderful respect in his abilities! He might be kept in Montreal and slowly worked into a third line position by the 20-25 game mark if he keeps progressing. Alternately, he could get a bucket-load of time in the AHL. Personally, I think he's ready. B+

Sundstrom: Oh how the mighty have fallen. From a second line scoring man in San Jose to fourth line ignomity. He's good defensively, but seems to have lost all offensive spark. C+

Dackell: Strong game at both ends of the rink, and the cycle on that line is looking stronger and stronger. B+

Juneau: Did a fine job against Jagr and didn't look too slow at all. Again, his intelligence comes to the fore and proves that he deserves a spot on this club - at least until Higgins gets more seasoning. A-

Bulis: He's such a sparkplug, and while many of us think he could easily be on the top two lines, I think he works brilliantly here. B+

Audette: Typical game for him; when the defense is weak (hey, do they need someone like Quintal?) he suddenly shines. A-

Perreault: Showed his fine hands again and even took some hits. He's also seemingly buying into the system and that really leaves me wondering what to do with him when Sax returns. A

Ryder: Definite keeper. I'm going to mention no names, but his play is reminiscent of another player we had a while back - who was subsequently traded. Strong, smart, and even knows how to pass the puck. A-

Hossa: Infinitely stronger game than the last, particularly on the boards. Still has to work at getting into better scoring positions. B-

Ribeiro: A good game, nothing spectacular. Creative as usual, but didn't have the same time on the ice as usual. (Which doesn't bother me at all, Julien gave the top three lines fairly equal time, and in a game like this, who can blame him.) Getting better defensively. B+

Zednik: I wonder how long it's going to take for teams to realize he isn't the only threat. Marked out specifically but still generated good chances. B
Excellent report Guy ! The only thing I question is when did Sundstrom play on the Sharks 2nd line? as I recall he always played with Ricci and Thornton on the 3rd line..

Old
10-14-2003, 07:52 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan
Excellent report Guy ! The only thing I question is when did Sundstrom play on the Sharks 2nd line? as I recall he always played with Ricci and Thornton on the 3rd line..
Actually, I seem to recall that he played on both lines, so we're both correct, though you moreso than myself, since he was only on the second line as an injury replacement.

Still and all, this is a player who once scored 24 goals in a season, and has fallen significantly from that plateau. Certainly some of it is his backchecking and consistency defensively, however if you look at his stats, he's fallen off a little bit more every year to a career low of 7 last year.

When he got here, there was talk of him replacing Dackell and adding more offence to that line because he was more skilled in the 'O' zone than was Dax, however I'm wondering when we get healthy if it might be Sundstrom who does the sitting.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:57 PM
tinyzombies

I really like Julien. That's what I have to say. The way he has taught a flexible system to a mishmash of vets and rookies and the way they have responded is very impressive.

Against Toronto, we played a full-trap (1-2-2). Tonight, it seems that he knew that the Caps D is hurting even more than Toronto's and he went for a more aggressive forecheck (2-1-2 it seemed most of the time).

Our advance scouts are doing a good job and so is Julien and the players.

Higgins is so smart! Ryder is so hungry!

Looks good.

Hainsey still concerns me a bit with his lackadaisical play. Rivet and Breezy are still iffy with the turnovers. Komi didn't get much PT tonight either, which is disappointing.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:15 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

I will admit Sundstrom looks nothing like the Sundstrom of old but you must remember he played on a line that reallly cycled the puck well and created chances off it. Thornton was a bull and Ricci also a strong player. Sundstrom added smarts and good body position to the mix. With Juneau and dackell he gets two smaller and less effective players to play with. They do not create chance off the cycle if in fact they cycle at all. He looks very much a spare part on this team and should probably be moved. You can move others in who can do his job more cheaply.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:31 PM
KILLger

Send a message via ICQ to KILLger Send a message via MSN to KILLger
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwisshockeyAcademy
I will admit Sundstrom looks nothing like the Sundstrom of old but you must remember he played on a line that reallly cycled the puck well and created chances off it. Thornton was a bull and Ricci also a strong player. Sundstrom added smarts and good body position to the mix. With Juneau and dackell he gets two smaller and less effective players to play with. They do not create chance off the cycle if in fact they cycle at all. He looks very much a spare part on this team and should probably be moved. You can move others in who can do his job more cheaply.
Juneau and Dackell's play is all about cycling...

Old
10-14-2003, 09:40 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
I like Sundstrom a lot. He could be a solid piece in a trade though. I wouldn't want to see him just given away.

Old
10-14-2003, 09:49 PM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 0
Nice to see some decent PP and PK unit ... Juneau and Dackell only had one PP shift

Audette played like he should do every nights , he was horrible in the 1st two games .

Ryder and Juneau played very well again , they get the job done .

Old
10-14-2003, 10:22 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
Do they create much offense off it? Sundstrom scored 24 goals one year off the cycle, Juneau and Dackell have very little strength and take the puck to the net ability. That is why Sundstrom's numbers have dried up. Things went downhill in San Jose when Thornton got hurt, as he often does.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:58 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLger
I'm not sure if I would call their games cycling. It's more like: dump the puck in the offensive zone, keep the puck along the boards, slip away from any physical contact, and after 30 seconds, lose possession of the puck without ever getting into scoring position.

Sundstrom is a smart player who's solid along the boards and has decent playmaking skills. Juneau and Dackell are lesser versions of the same player. Stick Sundstrom with two bangers, get him to play a specific role that's not redundant, and I'd wager he'll become productive. He had this role in SJ with Thornton and Ricci and thrived there, creating one of the top third lines in the league for a few years.

I could see Ward having some success alongside Sundstrom (and vice versa), but I can't think of anyone to center that line to make it effective. Maybe Begin.

Regarding the game as a whole: I didn't think it was all that special. The Habs had several problems that would have been capitalized on by a better team. Keep in mind this Washington team has only 1 legitimate NHL defenseman in the lineup. And an AHL goaltender. And a sulking superstar forward. And their first line center was in the WHL last year. This is a dysfunctional team to the extreme, and even they managed to beat the Leafs.

Next week the Canadiens will face some challenging clubs (Detroit, NYI, Ottawa), and we'll see how well they fare. I'm especially interested in the game against NYI, where Montreal has historically been manhandled physically. Hopefully Begin, Langdon, Ward, Komisarek will all be in the lineup.

Ryder does look like a special player out there though. Definitely making things happen, just as Ward did late last season.

I'm disappointed by the limited action the fourth line has seen, as I found them to be more effective in the offensive zone than Juneau's line (who did well tonight in exposing an AHL calibre defense, but are still the epitome of perimeter players; at least Higgins and Ward get into the danger zones). I think that fourth line has some real potential as a unit to become an effective two way force, and wouldn't mind seeing them together longterm.

The Habs' D as a whole is playing much better. Regardless of the opponent, the D's gap control is far better, and the forwards aren't letting them hang out to dry as much as in seasons past.

Old
10-14-2003, 11:04 PM
Mike8

Quote:
I don't get this logic. Sundstrom is a superior player when compared to Dackell and Juneau. He is cheaper, better defensively, stronger along the boards, and better offensively. He may not have shown it so far this season, but it's three games in and the Habs have played poor defensive clubs in their last two games.

If Sundstrom is used properly (as he was with Thornton and Ricci), he is an effective player on a checking or shut down line. His skills are decent enough to be pushed into a scoring role if needbe. He's a very versatile player.

Sundstrom is also capable of playing both sides, whereas Dackell is more comfortable on the right, and Juneau's far too slow to play ont he wing. If there's any buyers -- which is doubtful -- I would much prefer to see Dackell/Juneau moved, which would solve a whole lot of problems in terms of depth down the middle.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:43 AM
Marksman

Quote:
Way too early make assumptions on Sundstrom. Remember he was out with hurting elbow(?) the other night. Hes not 100%. I have this feeling Julien will try putting him with Koivu when hes cleared to play, and Ward, not wanting to break other three lines apart. Ward is no Thornton but Koivu is no Ricci either, but I think we will see different Sundstrom once the season is at full speed.

The problem with Sundstrom Juneau Dackell line was they were too similar. Not just size but the way they think. All prefer moving the puck and none of them are really known for the shooting and spearheading the attack. Thats why Bulis is much better fit for the line, maybe he doesnt have same experience and understanding Sunny, but hes a lot more willing to shoot.

Personally, I dont mind if Juneau and Dackell didnt score a point - if they can do the same to other opposition stars as they did to Jagr, limiting him to grand total of one shot.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:50 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Well so far Sundstrom and Ward aren't in shape like last year ... it will come with the time and it give us a great depth at the wing with the emergence of young Micheal Ryder . They will ahve their time to shine , we have Detroit and Philly ahead and many others games .

Old
10-15-2003, 02:57 AM
Shazbot

Rivet looks clumsy sometimes but he had an excellent game.

I loved the 4th line of Sundstrom, Higgins and Ward. Higgins did not look out of place, Sundstrom was Sundstrom, and Ward was high energy.

Ryder was great again, but there was a moment when he was going to the net from the left side with Higgins trailing and cutting towards the center. Ryder opted for the shot, but at that point in the game, I would have preferred to see him defer to the even newer kid.

Brisebois looks solid.

Audette and Perreault were great.

Ribeiro was the only player I noticed on that line. Zednik was well contained by Washington, and Hossa-- well, like I said somewhere else, I think he plays like a big moo-moo. It looks like Hossa thinks his job on the 2nd line is to push the puck along the boards for his linemates and that's all. I'm really not impressed with Hossa-- not yet.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:19 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Komisarek didn't play last night.
yeah , wtf !!! Shazbot easy on the bottle man !! :p

Old
10-15-2003, 04:14 AM
Darz

Quote:
Do they create much offense off it? Sundstrom scored 24 goals one year off the cycle, Juneau and Dackell have very little strength and take the puck to the net ability. That is why Sundstrom's numbers have dried up. Things went downhill in San Jose when Thornton got hurt, as he often does.
Sundstrom scored 24 one year with WAYNE GRETZKY as his centre. I think I could score 15-20 playing an entire year with Wayne.

Sundstrom is definately more of a 10-15 goal man, with 25+ assist potential. To maximize any offensive potentail he has, he has to play with a player that can bury the puck.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:25 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by The~Franchise
What's it gonna take to get Audette and Perreault out of the dog house?

Perreault had what 3 points tonight?

Audette has looked alot better this year than last (so far)!

I know this is an outlandish concept, but players CAN rebound from a bad year.

This is exactly what the trap does, it strengthens our defence, but at the same time, it isolates the offensive talent, and because of that, players like Audette, Perreault, RIbeiro, etc...could be very successful this year!
IMHO Perreault looks much better than Audette...Right now second line centre is a toss up between Perreault and Ribeiro!

Old
10-15-2003, 06:29 AM
crakced

Higgins will go down once Koivu, Begin or Kilger returns. I think both him and Komisarek should go down and play. Sitting in the pressbox does them no good at all. Let the young guys play.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:00 AM
crakced

Well, I myself of course have enjoyed the last couple of games, but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. I think we have seen what a good system can do, but Washington stunk out the place last night. They were tired and they had only 1 experienced NHL dman in their lineup (maybe we can dump Dykhuis or Traverse on them....).

Anyhow, some positives came out of that game for sure. The team is really buying into Julien's system. Julien himself showed some class and some confidence in the 4th line buy giving them PP and PK time when the game was in the bag. That helps team moral all the way. Also you have to like the way Ryder has given the Perrault Audette line life. Finally we have some players who seem to be able to play with Perrault. Audette played a great game I thought, he skated well, played solid defensively and also...passed the puck. This start can only be good for his confidence.

As for Sundstrom, Dackell, Juneau. I myself don't like that line at all, too similar of players. Bulis is much better with them, because he is able to use his speed to break out of the defensive zone, where otherwise they are always forced to dump it off the boards.

Anyhow, I think after next week we will have a better idea of what this team can do.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:29 AM
Subban Fan

I think we'll see this lineup thursday night against the Pens...

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Ryder-Perreault-Audette
Ward-Koivu-Sundstrom
Dackell-Juneau-Bulis

With Koivu having a lot of PP and PK time...

Old
10-15-2003, 07:36 AM
NYR1084

Send a message via AIM to NYR1084
Two Cents on the Game

Hey,

I got the oppurtunity to go to the game last night to see my brother. My dad and I drove up yesterday afternoon. We went to my brothers hotel, and saw Komisarek. We talked for 10 minutes about his playing situation and just random stuff, and Mike gave us two tickets for my grandparents who also drove up.
We walked to the Bell Center, my first time there. It's an awesome place, like a museum and a hockey rink. It was amazing.

The opening ceremony was intense, with great cheers for Koviu and Brisebois(surprisingly).The game was great, I thought the Habs played real well. A few blurbs about a few players:

Theodore= played well, but I felt too many rebounds
Audette= I dont know how I feel about Audette, his goal was OK, dont think he deserved 2nd star though
Dackell=played strong, I wouldve given him 2nd star
Souray=threw his weight around nicely, played heads up
Ryder=took a stupid penalty, little puck hog-ish at times, but I guess he wants to prove he can bring something to the table
Perrault=awesome game, sweet goals, definitely deserved the 1str star
Brisebois=seemed panicky with the puck at times, a few bonehead passes, but he got a nice ovation when they said the roster in the beginning

After the game, we went downstairs to meet Chris, and I saw a few Habs. Koviu signed a few autographs, Quintal was with his family, Theodore was with what looked like one of his brothers and their girlfriends, Audette was with his family, I saw Dykhuis and his family, and someone I thought was Langdon. We walked down to where the Habs park their cars, and damn they have some nice rides. We drove back to the hotel, and said our goodbyes.

On the whole, I had a awesome time, it is incredible up there. The atomsphere is amazing.

Take care guys,

Kev

Old
10-15-2003, 07:39 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I guess i'll talk about Marcel Hossa for a minute too, he's been VERY dissapointing to me... seems there's no individualism to his game, like he's there to only feed the puck off to Zednik or Ribeiro, prolly due to lack of confidence, but geez, enough if enough, i still have faith in him though, he's still very very young and could and probably will surprise us all. I don't just wanna see him hit and thats all, he has talent, i want him to use it and use his size and strength, hopefully he can get some pointers from his brother.
I think he's been playing fairly well this year so far; he's been hitting, going to the corners, playing a decent defensive game, and trying to cause things to happen in the offensive zone with his linemates. Best of all, he's been doing it with energy and intensity. So long as he keeps working on the little things, scoring will come with time.

Marcel doesn't play the same style of hockey as his brother, so pointers from Marian probably wouldn't help.

On his line, Ribs (playmaker) and Zed (sniper) are supposed to be the point getters and Hossa (banger) is supposed to make room for them by crashing the net, and hitting people. He'll get plenty of rebound and deflection goals if he does this on a regular basis, and who knows he may develop into a decent power forward in the process.

At this point I'm pretty satisfied with Marcel's development.

All-Star

Old
10-15-2003, 07:46 AM
JeromeHP
@Jerome_Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabFan1084
Hey,

I got the oppurtunity to go to the game last night to see my brother. My dad and I drove up yesterday afternoon. We went to my brothers hotel, and saw Komisarek. We talked for 10 minutes about his playing situation and just random stuff, and Mike gave us two tickets for my grandparents who also drove up.
We walked to the Bell Center, my first time there. It's an awesome place, like a museum and a hockey rink. It was amazing.

The opening ceremony was intense, with great cheers for Koviu and Brisebois(surprisingly).The game was great, I thought the Habs played real well. A few blurbs about a few players:

Theodore= played well, but I felt too many rebounds
Audette= I dont know how I feel about Audette, his goal was OK, dont think he deserved 2nd star though
Dackell=played strong, I wouldve given him 2nd star
Souray=threw his weight around nicely, played heads up
Ryder=took a stupid penalty, little puck hog-ish at times, but I guess he wants to prove he can bring something to the table
Perrault=awesome game, sweet goals, definitely deserved the 1str star
Brisebois=seemed panicky with the puck at times, a few bonehead passes, but he got a nice ovation when they said the roster in the beginning

After the game, we went downstairs to meet Chris, and I saw a few Habs. Koviu signed a few autographs, Quintal was with his family, Theodore was with what looked like one of his brothers and their girlfriends, Audette was with his family, I saw Dykhuis and his family, and someone I thought was Langdon. We walked down to where the Habs park their cars, and damn they have some nice rides. We drove back to the hotel, and said our goodbyes.

On the whole, I had a awesome time, it is incredible up there. The atomsphere is amazing.

Take care guys,

Kev

Nice to hear that Kev

By the way, Dykhuis is in Hamilton

Question : Is chris happy the way he played, he look little shy on the ice and what did you think about the city of montreal?

Take care Kev!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1
I think we'll see this lineup thursday night against the Pens...

Hossa-Ribeiro-Zednik
Ryder-Perreault-Audette
Ward-Koivu-Sundstrom
Dackell-Juneau-Bulis

With Koivu having a lot of PP and PK time...

I don't think Koivu will be back on Thursday. The goal is for him to be back against the Laffs on Saturday. We can beat the Pens without him.

Closed Thread