HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Umberger is up for good?

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2005, 04:57 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Umberger is up for good?

http://www.philadelphiaflyers.com/pr...rt/default.asp

anyone else catch this tidbit?

Quote:
We’ve had players come into this organization because of injuries. (R.J.) Umberger is a perfect example and became a very effective player and probably has beaten players who are hurt out of jobs. You don’t know that stuff until you get going.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:01 PM
Brad*

Poor Gagne.

But seriously, probably Brian Savage. He was brought in for his decent scoring touch, but he really doesn't have it. At this point, I like what Umberger brings to the table over just about any of the lower line players save Carter. I think those two paired togethe can be really effective, and I would hope that Umberger is going to be on the roster from now on. He's earned it.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:06 PM
TheKingPin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Poor Gagne.

But seriously, probably Brian Savage. He was brought in for his decent scoring touch, but he really doesn't have it. At this point, I like what Umberger brings to the table over just about any of the lower line players save Carter. I think those two paired togethe can be really effective, and I would hope that Umberger is going to be on the roster from now on. He's earned it.
I agree and congrats on you 12,000 post you win...A Flyers win(hopefuly)

Old
12-11-2005, 05:07 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Assuming that everyone is healthy, and Savage is indeed the oddman out what would the cap be at?

Old
12-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Ex Storm
Dig out your soul...

I did catch that, and took it as good news. But it's not really up to Hitch because he doesn't control the money.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panasonic Youth
Assuming that everyone is healthy, and Savage is indeed the oddman out what would the cap be at?

higher than what it would be if we dumped Savage for Umberger

Old
12-11-2005, 05:25 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
higher than what it would be if we dumped Savage for Umberger
Well, maybe it's time we dump the old guard. Maybe it's time that we send Kappy, Stevenson, Brashear, Savage and Branko all packing. Maybe it's time we keep guys like Eager and Umberger on the roster. I know people are gonna flip out about my preference to dump Kappy, but the man has lost his scoring touch. What's wrong with replacing him with someone younger, bigger, stronger and would actually develop an offensive game if given 17+ minutes a night?

Old
12-11-2005, 05:48 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
Well, maybe it's time we dump the old guard. Maybe it's time that we send Kappy, Stevenson, Brashear, Savage and Branko all packing. Maybe it's time we keep guys like Eager and Umberger on the roster. I know people are gonna flip out about my preference to dump Kappy, but the man has lost his scoring touch. What's wrong with replacing him with someone younger, bigger, stronger and would actually develop an offensive game if given 17+ minutes a night?
why would we need to dump Kapanen? get rid of brashear and they get a huge gain against the salary cap... isn't as if Kapanen is filling the role that Umberger ideally would.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:57 PM
Roger's Pancreas*

Send a message via AIM to Roger's Pancreas*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16
I don't get you. Our PK was garbage without Kapanen and once he stepped in it instantly improved, getting rid of him would just open up a hole best filled by a vet. Finding a player to replace Branko wouldn't be tough but finding one that understands Hitch and that has hustle would. He's a dime a dozen player but he does the little things right and keeps the team financially balanced. The other problem is to dump the dead weight the Flyers would have to pay someone and it looks like Clarke is happy just holding on to the picks.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:02 PM
i am dave

Branko isn't making that much though, is he? Besides I believe Hitch insinuated last night that Branko will be seeing more ice time due to his recent good-play. I like Branko, and would like to see him stay, but I can understand the need to, at times, explore options. Perhaps giving Branko more ice time will increase his trade value.

But yeah, I'm all for dumping Brashear and Savage.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:38 PM
easton122

Send a message via AIM to easton122 Send a message via MSN to easton122
Brash has been playing good lately. But his salary is outrageous.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:48 PM
mikedifr

Dumb Brashear and Stevenson (about 3 million) keep Kapanen and Rado, keep Eager and Umberger on the roster.

When/if healthy:

Gagne Forsberg Knuble
Handzus Richards Kapanen/Rado
Umberger Carter Rado/Kapanen
Eager Primeau Sim
Ellison

Look for a good 2nd line winger at the deadline to replace Eager/Sim for the playoffs.

Old
12-11-2005, 11:36 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Er, dumping Kapanen? I'm not sure I read that right.

I'll assume it was a typo.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:07 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
Er, dumping Kapanen? I'm not sure I read that right.

I'll assume it was a typo.
It wasn't. I'd dump Kappy if the right offer came.
Kapanen+Esche+??? for Luongo.

Old
12-12-2005, 05:32 AM
Brad*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikke
It wasn't. I'd dump Kappy if the right offer came.
Kapanen+Esche+??? for Luongo.
I don't think they'd do it unless we add in Jon Sim.

Old
12-12-2005, 06:00 AM
Gabey8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
Poor Gagne.

As a fan of both the Flyers and Phantoms, nothing would make me happier for Umberger than to see him stay in Orange and Black for keeps. That goes double for if he's able to stay on a line with Sim and regenerate the chemistry that the two of them had on the ice all last year, when they led the Phantoms in scoring.

I love seeing us develop guys for OUR NHL team. For too many years, Phantoms alumni were making it into the NHL via just about every other team BUT ours. It's about time we started making Flyers out of Phantoms alumni, and the roster of last year's Calder Cup team is a heck of a good place to start.

Old
12-12-2005, 06:11 AM
Nacho
Special

Sucks for Savage. If he only had some luck with all those post shots that he has been making...

Old
12-12-2005, 09:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitkanenPower
Branko isn't making that much though, is he? Besides I believe Hitch insinuated last night that Branko will be seeing more ice time due to his recent good-play. I like Branko, and would like to see him stay, but I can understand the need to, at times, explore options. Perhaps giving Branko more ice time will increase his trade value.

But yeah, I'm all for dumping Brashear and Savage.
Radio plays with a TON of energy. if that starts to translate into some dirty work goals like the other day on the rebound, major bonus.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:47 AM
mikedifr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Radio plays with a TON of energy. if that starts to translate into some dirty work goals like the other day on the rebound, major bonus.
Kidna hard when on the 4th line with a bunch of nobodies. If they keep him with skilled players, he may just do that.

Old
12-12-2005, 12:20 PM
VaFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
I think Sharp's trade was evidence that Umberger is here to stay. If I am correct, Ellison is playing on a two-way contract, unlike Sharp, and can be sent down to the AHL. As players return, Ellison will be moved to the AHL. In essence, Clarke made this trade:

Sharp = 3rd round pick
Meloche = Ellison

Umberger is here to stay.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:06 PM
tytech

Quote:
I don't get you. Our PK was garbage without Kapanen and once he stepped in it instantly improved, getting rid of him would just open up a hole best filled by a vet. Finding a player to replace Branko wouldn't be tough but finding one that understands Hitch and that has hustle would. He's a dime a dozen player but he does the little things right and keeps the team financially balanced. The other problem is to dump the dead weight the Flyers would have to pay someone and it looks like Clarke is happy just holding on to the picks.

Yeah, our PK was ranked 30th and then Kaps rejoined the team and now we've improved to 30th? I'm not sure what your point was but I do agree and see lots of value in having Kapanen. He can point a power play, fill in for our oft injured defencemen and is much smarter and faster than most of our young guys. He hasn't helped our pk though. He's -12 or something when I last looked.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:22 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Yeah, our PK was ranked 30th and then Kaps rejoined the team and now we've improved to 30th? I'm not sure what your point was but I do agree and see lots of value in having Kapanen. He can point a power play, fill in for our oft injured defencemen and is much smarter and faster than most of our young guys. He hasn't helped our pk though. He's -12 or something when I last looked.
check the % it's slowly starting to climb. up to 77.6%, we were at like 75.1 or something before Kapanen was back in the lineup.

you don't get a minus when you're out for a PP goal against, so his +/- stats have nada to do with the PK. his +/- will come around though.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:35 PM
stanley

Quote:
What was he at, something like $500K?

I remember it something like this: If a player is waived and clears, he can be sent to the minors. He would be paid his entire salary if left in the minors for the remainder of the season, although that salary would NOT count against the team's cap. If he's recalled, half his salary would count against the cap.

I don't know about the trade speculation, but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Hitchcock to bench Kapanen or Clarke to trade him. I'd turn blue. I consider him Exhibit A of what both are looking for in a hockey player - never fails to show up, versatile, fearless.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:45 PM
PF1967

Dump Brashear and Stevenson (about 3 million) keep Kapanen and Rado, keep Eager and Umberger on the roster.

Yes! Stevenson is an absolute waste of cap space.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF1967
Dump Brashear and Stevenson (about 3 million) keep Kapanen and Rado, keep Eager and Umberger on the roster.

Yes! Stevenson is an absolute waste of cap space.
no he isn't. he's a very good checker/PK'er.

if we can ever get our ineup together i'd love to see something like.

Gags-Forsberg-Knuble
Umberger/Sim-Richards-Handzus
Kapanen-Primeau-Stevenson
Umberger/Sim-Carter-Radio

Closed Thread