HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Our D sucks

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 12:40 PM
Master Lok

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
why would you assume berard is "feasible"? hypothetical maybe - but not feasible.

first of all, he'd never play in edmonton.

second, any offer tendered for his services can be matched by the bruins as long as it is below his arbitration award. the bruins are just waiting for a team to make him an offer so they can re-sign him. unless the oil want to pay him what the idiot arbitrator awarded him - har har.
Agreed. All the berard worshippers, get a clue! Two already poorly defensively-staffed teams (Rangers and Bruins) had him in their lineup and THEN LET HIM WALK FOR FREE as a UFA. Berard is not a top 4 player anymore. He is overrated and OVERPRICED. Coming to a new team, he would also have to adjust to a different style. As LD said, we would have to pay more than $2 million dollars for this depth defenseman. Maybe for $1 million I would think about it, certainly not for $2. I'd rather grab Luoma and throw him into the lineup than Berard.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:32 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to McThome
We don't have anybody in our system that would be able to move the puck as well as Berard (no, Brewer and Bergeron don't). So WTF there is a guy on the market that we can get without giving up an asset that would help our team. ONly thing is we'd have to give him .5 million more then what he probably should... but I think it would be good for the team. Lets not put this ENTIRELY on the defense though either. The forwards are standing still and not winning ANY battles - you could have 6 Lidstoms back there and even he couldn't get the Oilers into the offensive zone with possecion because they aren't skating.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:59 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Not really true... he was awarded 2.51 mil, and the bruins have the right to match any offer that is equal to or less than 80% of the arbitration award.

In other words, the Bruins can match if the offer is 2.08 mil or lower, anything higher, and they have no say in the matter.
Earlier this week, the Bruins pulled their offer of 1.8 Million off the table and have said they are no longer interested in signing berard.

My guess is that Berard would be interested in going to any team that want's him around now, he can always go back for arbitration in the offseason.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:55 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

you would certainly think that he'd want to find a contract - but you all saw what happened with Tverdovsky who two years ago was considered one of THE best puck moving Dmen in the league. I know him being Russian and all makes the situation different - but still, I would be really happy if we signed Berard to anything below 2.2 mil

Old
10-15-2003, 03:00 PM
elphy101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
you would certainly think that he'd want to find a contract - but you all saw what happened with Tverdovsky who two years ago was considered one of THE best puck moving Dmen in the league. I know him being Russian and all makes the situation different - but still, I would be really happy if we signed Berard to anything below 2.2 mil
Tverdovsky isn't suffering, from what's I've read, he's making 2 Million US tax free in Russia. He had contract offers just nothing at the same level as the contract he received in Russia.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:21 PM
McThome
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elphy101
Tverdovsky isn't suffering, from what's I've read, he's making 2 Million US tax free in Russia. He had contract offers just nothing at the same level as the contract he received in Russia.
I know he's not suffering at all - I'm just saying that it's shame this guy isn't in the NHL. I know he got offers, but I think that he would have been a great signing at 2 million/year as he is a greatly talented offensive player put into a brutal position of playing behind both Neidermayer and Refolski

Old
10-15-2003, 04:13 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Quote:
Yes, the offense can't score because the defense can't pass the puck... nice. Are you going to ignore the fact that the problem isn't getting out of the Oilers end, but getting into the offensive end. Consistantly, the Oilers are losing races, and battles for the puck on dump ins, and they only really have 1 player capable of carrying the puck in with any kind of success (Hemsky).

The offense can't score, because they haven't shown the ability to gain the zone on a regular basis. The problem is, the Torque line has been able to do it, meaning they are doing something right. The Oilers are screwed if the only way they can score is on the fly... why? Because teams like Dallas, Minnesota, etc take away all that offensive speed by trapping, clogging up the middle, and forcing short plays and dump ins. This is 1986 anymore, the game isn't all about flying up and down the wings. Against San Jose, the Oilers were consistantly gaining the zone, both by carrying the puck, and dumping and chasing... and that hasn't happened much in the past 2 games.
Well obviously there are other reasons as to why we can't score. I'm merely pointing out a fact that is most important. The game is like a chess board where the momentum is constantly shifting. If we can't even get the pass out of our zone with any consistency it will obviously frustrate our young forwards the whole game. IMO, the most important pass IS the first pass from Dman to forward. WHat you are talking about gaining the zone is attributable to getting past the neutral zone, hussle and hard work will win those races into the corner.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:56 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
In all fairness though, 4 of those power plays were less than 30 seconds long, but 0 for 11 with 4 shots isn't anything to brag to your girlfriend about though.

I counted 7 times against Vancouver that an Oiler forward turned the puck over while trying to skate into the zone... that practically kills 3 full power plays as it is.
They aren't just doing it on the PP either.

I tried counting the number of times the play died on a certain player's stick, unless those guys were Horc/Torres/Laraque, it happened far too often. Isbister did pretty well teamed up with Horc and Laraque too.

Closed Thread