HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

looking for Answers.

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 01:08 PM
Chayos

vCash: 500
looking for Answers.

I have been really bummed the last couple of gmaes with the EFFORT that the oil have put in. They have been lethargic and unemotional. The thing I can't understand is who is at fault, the players for not being professional enought to be preped for every game like they should, The coaching staff for not getting the team emotionally ready for these important divisional games or myself for building up this team as "good enough". I think it will take a few more games to see what is really going on, but i will say that the play of the team in the last 2 games really pissed me off.

My opinion is the team doesn't have a true leader to step up and make the other players accoutable for shoddy play. I still wonder if we should move Comrie for a player who would bring dressing room presence rather than a scorer as every one suggests.

I think we all can agree that smith is an okay lead by example captain, but not real leader. I think we need to get some back for Comrie who will be a leader in the future if not now.

Old
10-16-2003, 01:44 PM
Lowetide

I think the games were completely different. The Vancouver game was clearly a young team getting sidetracked by an early setback. The Staios clip wouldn't have fazed a more experienced team, but the Oilers have a lot of youth. The other fact is that Vancouver is now well clear of Edmonton in terms of ability, and you can see that in the way the Oilers play. Their expectations of that game weren't high, it looked for all the world like they were playing Dallas.

The Calgary game reminded me of a couple of seasons ago when they opened the schedule in Calgary and Marc Savard scored the only goal of the game. Oilers played well in spurts, and looked desperate (a good thing ) in the third, but couldn't get it done. I expect the Flames might have done the same thing had Edmonton scored first.

Growing pains, imo. Oilers still have TONS of young talent, more than they've had since they were drafting well a buh-zillion years ago.

They'll be fine.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:32 PM
cram

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
I think the games were completely different. The Vancouver game was clearly a young team getting sidetracked by an early setback. The Staios clip wouldn't have fazed a more experienced team, but the Oilers have a lot of youth. The other fact is that Vancouver is now well clear of Edmonton in terms of ability, and you can see that in the way the Oilers play. Their expectations of that game weren't high, it looked for all the world like they were playing Dallas.

The Calgary game reminded me of a couple of seasons ago when they opened the schedule in Calgary and Marc Savard scored the only goal of the game. Oilers played well in spurts, and looked desperate (a good thing ) in the third, but couldn't get it done. I expect the Flames might have done the same thing had Edmonton scored first.

Growing pains, imo. Oilers still have TONS of young talent, more than they've had since they were drafting well a buh-zillion years ago.

They'll be fine.
I think they will be fine too, the thing that I think is bothering most of us is the unsipired play from the team, at times they look dead, which is a little disturbing. It's a young team that needs a bit of confidence and as soon as they get going they'll give anyone a run for their money, however they just need to bring it, every single last one of them.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:39 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I know there are question marks... but the thing is that only 2-3 of the 5 or 6 question marks need to step up for this team to make the playoffs. If everybody plays the way they hope the we could really make some noise.
OH, and my question marks are:
1. Isbister- will he break out?
2. Dvo - will he be mentaly physically healthy?
3.Brewer - is this the year that we've been waiting for since his playoff performance a few years back?
4. Pisani - Will MacT make a sequal to the Cleary episode?
5.Smith - will he bounce back after a couple so-so seasons?
6.Comrie - finaly our biggest question.. will he sign? will he play well when/if he does? Will they trade him? Will we get good return if he is traded? Will the return fit into our needs and help out?

Closed Thread