Notices

Should Miettinen be Suspended?

Closed Thread

Old
12-07-2005, 10:58 PM
Big Mama*

vCash: 500
Should Miettinen be Suspended?

Miettinen is a good player who wants to win but diving is not good for a game were players used to pride themselves on fighting through checks.

To protect the integrity of the game a strong message has to be sent about diving. A one game suspension should be sufficient.

Surely even Stars fans can agree with protecting the integrity of the game.

Last edited by Big Mama*: 12-07-2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old
12-07-2005, 11:01 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Lehtinen wasn't even the player who dove...So should Lehtinen be suspended? No. For what? Capitalizing on a goal or two?

Miets was the one who dove. Well if thats what you want to call it. He didn't dive but he did act the call out more than it should've been done. But why should he be suspended for something every other player in the NHL has been guilty for also and they haven't been suspended?

Miets was trying to make the play and he made the decision to do that. Whether it is legal or not, he did it and got away with it. It was the ref's fault for calling a penalty.

This wouldn't of even been discussed if Dallas hadn't scored on that powerplay to give the Stars the victory.

Edit: I'm not saying what Miets did was right or good for the game by any stretch. But this has happened SEVERAL times in the new league..and I dont understand why he should get a suspension for playing the play the way he did when other guys have done it. Like I said the only reason it is such a big deal is because the Stars went on to score on the powerplay after the 'incident' happened.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:02 PM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama
Lehtinen is a good player who wants to win but diving is not good for a game were players used to pride themselves on fighting through checks.

To protect the integrity of the game a strong message has to be sent about diving. A one game suspension should be sufficient.

Surely even Stars fans can agree with protecting the integrity of the game.

It was Miettinen -- and to answer your question, yes, he should be suspended and one game is not enough to truly send a message. It's embarrassing -- and even more embarrassing that Koharski actually fell for it.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Twist and Shout

Koharski should be suspended if anything.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:05 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKF37
It was Miettinen -- and to answer your question, yes, he should be suspended and one game is not enough to truly send a message. It's embarrassing -- and even more embarrassing that Koharski actually fell for it.
I just don't understand this I guess.

Why should Miets get a suspension? If anyone should get suspended it should be the ref. He is the one who called the penalty. Nothing Miets could've done to make the ref call a penalty ON HIM for the 'diving' call.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:07 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Koharski should be suspended if anything.
Sorry I heard Denis Potvin say Lehtinen, my apologies to Lehtinen.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mama
Sorry I heard Denis Potvin say Lehtinen, my apologies to Lehtinen.
Lehtinen was the one who scored the game winning goal just to let you know.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:13 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37
Lehtinen was the one who scored the game winning goal just to let you know.
I know Denis Potivn, the Panther announcer was so excited that he kept saying that Lehtinen took the dive.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
I just don't understand this I guess.

Why should Miets get a suspension? If anyone should get suspended it should be the ref. He is the one who called the penalty. Nothing Miets could've done to make the ref call a penalty ON HIM for the 'diving' call.
Diving hurts the integrity of the game. In a game were guys fight through checks you embarass the refs the coach and the players. Fans of the other team question the ref's impartiality etc.

To stop diving the league needs more than just $1000 dollar fine.

Old
12-07-2005, 11:24 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

But other players in this league have done the exact same thing Miets did..just when the other players did it, it didn't cost the other team the game.

Why should someone get a fine or suspention when SEVERAL people before him have done the exact same thing and not had anything done to them before when it was hurting the integrity of the game also?

Old
12-07-2005, 11:35 PM
Big Mama*

Quote:
But other players in this league have done the exact same thing Miets did..just when the other players did it, it didn't cost the other team the game.

Why should someone get a fine or suspention when SEVERAL people before him have done the exact same thing and not had anything done to them before when it was hurting the integrity of the game also?
They were fining guy's $1000 and naming them. But the NHLPA stopped the league from naming them. It just time for the league to make a statement because they have brought in new rules to improve the game. Time to get tough on diving.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:00 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:

So if everyone went around murdering innocent kids, does that justify it if you do it too?

When you dive you're talking about blatant cheating -- Miettinen's dive was just so obvious it's sickening. Sure, some players embellish and act when they were tripped up or hooked, but Miettinen was barely touched and fell as if he were hit in the heart with a bullet...and unlike most other dives (none as blatant as this one) it had a direct impact on the outcome of the game. The Stars won this game because Antti Miettinen took a dive and that is just not right.

I hate Potvin, but like he said, Miettinen shouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror tomorrow morning. I'd be embarrassed to have that schmuck on my team if I was a Stars' fan.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:07 AM
morrow1005

Send a message via AIM to morrow1005 Send a message via Yahoo to morrow1005
dude quit *****ing.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:10 AM
Chaos

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
So if everyone went around murdering innocent kids, does that justify it if you do it too?

When you dive you're talking about blatant cheating -- Miettinen's dive was just so obvious it's sickening. Sure, some players embellish and act when they were tripped up or hooked, but Miettinen was barely touched and fell as if he were hit in the heart with a bullet...and unlike most other dives (none as blatant as this one) it had a direct impact on the outcome of the game. The Stars won this game because Antti Miettinen took a dive and that is just not right.

I hate Potvin, but like he said, Miettinen shouldn't be able to look himself in the mirror tomorrow morning. I'd be embarrassed to have that schmuck on my team if I was a Stars' fan.

Talk about overreaction. To you(and most Panther fans on here), it was just a ridiculous, blatant dive. To me, it was a trip that was embellished. At best, both players should have gone to the box and played 4 on 4. And tell me, did Antti Miettinen taking a dive(in your view) cause the Panthers defense to ignore BOTH Modano and Lehtinen on the winning goal?

-Vagrant
Old
12-08-2005, 12:14 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Yes he should and I won't say what's already been said on the Panthers board. The NHL doesn't need dirtbags like that.

Sorry to troll, but that was the worst dive I have ever seen and to argue it wasn't even a dive?

Last edited by Rattrick: 12-08-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old
12-08-2005, 12:22 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Talk about overreaction. To you(and most Panther fans on here), it was just a ridiculous, blatant dive. To me, it was a trip that was embellished. At best, both players should have gone to the box and played 4 on 4. And tell me, did Antti Miettinen taking a dive(in your view) cause the Panthers defense to ignore BOTH Modano and Lehtinen on the winning goal?
You've obviously got the homer-goggles on if you didn't see the blatant dive. Kwiatkowski's stick was in between his legs, but up around Miettinen's groin area -- and sorry to inform you, but a touch to the groin doesn't cause your feet collapse and make your arms go flying up as if you shot by an AK-47.

The Panthers collapsing is a whole other issue -- our team sucks, there's no denying it, but it doesn't change what Miettinen did. You should be ashamed, and even more ashamed that you're even making an attempt to justify it. What you may not understand is if the NHL doesn not take action and punish Miettinen, other players will see it and say to themselves "Hey, I can take a dive in the late stages of a game and give us a game-winning powerplay too!" The last thing a league trying to regain fans' trust needs is integrity issues. I'll go out on a limb and say Miettinen will be suspended and fined significantly.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
You've obviously got the homer-goggles on if you didn't see the blatant dive. Kwiatkowski's stick was in between his legs, but up around Miettinen's groin area -- and sorry to inform you, but a touch to the groin doesn't cause your feet collapse and make your arms go flying up as if you shot by an AK-47.

The Panthers collapsing is a whole other issue -- our team sucks, there's no denying it, but it doesn't change what Miettinen did. You should be ashamed, and even more ashamed that you're even making an attempt to justify it. What you may not understand is if the NHL doesn not take action and punish Miettinen, other players will see it and say to themselves "Hey, I can take a dive in the late stages of a game and give us a game-winning powerplay too!" The last thing a league trying to regain fans' trust needs is integrity issues. I'll go out on a limb and say Miettinen will be suspended and fined significantly.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

There is nothing anybody could do about it. It was the ref's fault for not calling it. If it was so obvious, then why wasn't it a penalty? Obviously Miets has taking acting school.

Anyways, it was the Panthers own fault for blowing the game. And I still think if the goal hadn't been scored..well I wouldn't be typing this this now would I.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:27 AM
Rattrick

Quote:
There is nothing anybody could do about it. It was the ref's fault for not calling it. If it was so obvious, then why wasn't it a penalty? Obviously Miets has taking acting school.

Anyways, it was the Panthers own fault for blowing the game. And I still think if the goal hadn't been scored..well I wouldn't be typing this this now would I.

Why wasn't it called? Why was the trip called? Because the ref is a dumbass. If you argue that the trip was a good call or that it wasn't a dive, see picture above.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:34 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:

Again -- Koharski being a terrible ref is a whole other issue. He has been bad for years, just ask Jim Schoenfeld. Antti Miettinen dove, Don Koharski's ineptness and the Panthers piss-poor play are completely irrelevant.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:37 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

So players should now be suspended when a 2 minute minor penalty goes unnoticed?

Fantastic precedent.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:46 AM
PantherBlood6*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet
So players should now be suspended when a 2 minute minor penalty goes unnoticed?

Fantastic precedent.

Ahhh...why do I even bother.

Believe what you will, but if the NHL does not significantly punish Miettinen, don't come cryin' when you see players flopping around every shift like fish out of water...hopefully, the NHL has someone with some common sense and doesn't allow that to happen.

Old
12-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Dr GLU

You all act like this is a new thing now that it happened to go against you. Diving like this goes on all the time and has been for a while. It didn't start with Miettinen, and it won't end with Miettinen.

Chances are before the season's up a dive will buy you a winning or momentum-changing PPG because diving is not isolated to one team or individual. What goes around comes around. I hope that if that happens you call for your player to be suspended as well.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:09 AM
Jakethesnake

Its been happenning against us all year.............. There have been at least 5-7 games this year that the panthers have lost in the last 2 mins on a powerplay that came about due to an absolute dog of a call. Us cat fans ALWAYS acknowledge that had we played better then we shouldnt be in a position to loose these close games. BUT when an opponent blatantly cheats in front of us and subsequently leads to a loss, it is ****ing hard to swollow.

Turn this around.... If this exact same scenario happens to you, there is no doubt you would be flaming hot.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:11 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Would we be mad? Yes..we've already had games like that stolen from us before...

Colorado..San Jose in overtime (he still scored on that goal)..etc.

But you wouldn't see us calling for a suspension over a dive..

Closed Thread