Old
12-08-2005, 08:50 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKF37
You've obviously got the homer-goggles on if you didn't see the blatant dive. Kwiatkowski's stick was in between his legs, but up around Miettinen's groin area -- and sorry to inform you, but a touch to the groin doesn't cause your feet collapse and make your arms go flying up as if you shot by an AK-47.

The Panthers collapsing is a whole other issue -- our team sucks, there's no denying it, but it doesn't change what Miettinen did. You should be ashamed, and even more ashamed that you're even making an attempt to justify it. What you may not understand is if the NHL doesn not take action and punish Miettinen, other players will see it and say to themselves "Hey, I can take a dive in the late stages of a game and give us a game-winning powerplay too!" The last thing a league trying to regain fans' trust needs is integrity issues. I'll go out on a limb and say Miettinen will be suspended and fined significantly.
So should Bouwmeester be fined and/or suspended for his blatant slash when Lehtinen was on a breakaway? I mean, the last thing a league trying to regain fans' trust needs is allowing blatant slashes on a breakaway taking away scoring opportunities. It affects the integrity of the game. Other players will se it and say to themselves "Hey, I can blatantly and violently slash a guy in the legs while he's on a breakaway and affect the outcome of the game too!"

-Vagrant
Old
12-08-2005, 09:05 AM
Walzy

Send a message via ICQ to Walzy Send a message via AIM to Walzy Send a message via MSN to Walzy
first time = letter from Colin Campbell
second time = $1.000 fine
third time = one game suspension

that's the way the NHL is going.....so why should Miettinen get suspendet unless it's Miettinen's third delict ? Only because of some Panthers fans are crying now ?

We had also such games against us, like Lobo said vs San Jose or -especially- that loss against Nashville and yes we were angry, but we didn't start whining everywhere that those players have to be suspendet like some Panthers-fans now

Old
12-08-2005, 10:51 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
You all act like this is a new thing now that it happened to go against you. Diving like this goes on all the time and has been for a while. It didn't start with Miettinen, and it won't end with Miettinen.

Chances are before the season's up a dive will buy you a winning or momentum-changing PPG because diving is not isolated to one team or individual. What goes around comes around. I hope that if that happens you call for your player to be suspended as well.
This is true. But it still doesn't change the fact that diving erodes the integrity of the game. Miettinen Dive was so blatant the league can't afford not to act to bring this flopping foolishness to an end. Now if I was a Stars fan I'd say why start with our guy. Well it has to start somewhere.

The last season played, the Leafs Mats Sundin accidently (intended?) threw his stick into the stands. It wasn't the first time this had happened but the league decided to suspend Sundin for a game to send a message to the players. Didn't hurt anyone, the game was unaffected but a suspension was handed out to a player who had never even seen the discipline room let alone be disciplined.

The league has been trying to get rid of diving, now is the time to send the message.

But diving mocks the game, especially mocks those players who are willing to fight through checks.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Dr GLU

I don't like diving either. When you have to play against notorious divers (i.e. Forsberg, Kariya) several times a year, it does get frustrating, and it is embarassing. But it happens. Turthfully, though it evens out over the course of a year.

The only way that diving will end is to penalize it in game. Suspending a depth player for a dive isn't going to hurt a team (and at this point, that's all Miettinen is). Putting a team a man down for a dive would cut it out a lot faster because coaches wouldn't tolerate going a man down for no reason. They're supposed to do that now, but they don't, so players take advantage.

But to say a guy deserves to be suspended because a ref happened to bite on a dive at a crucial moment, please. I can understand you're upset. But to circumvent a (admittedly poor) system put in place to handle diving just because you don't like the outcome is ludicrous.

Old
12-08-2005, 02:03 PM
Starsdude

I would be more worried about your spare team with Keenan at the GM helm than a dive

Old
12-09-2005, 11:36 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
I don't like diving either. When you have to play against notorious divers (i.e. Forsberg, Kariya) several times a year, it does get frustrating, and it is embarassing. But it happens. Turthfully, though it evens out over the course of a year.

The only way that diving will end is to penalize it in game. Suspending a depth player for a dive isn't going to hurt a team (and at this point, that's all Miettinen is). Putting a team a man down for a dive would cut it out a lot faster because coaches wouldn't tolerate going a man down for no reason. They're supposed to do that now, but they don't, so players take advantage.

But to say a guy deserves to be suspended because a ref happened to bite on a dive at a crucial moment, please. I can understand you're upset. But to circumvent a (admittedly poor) system put in place to handle diving just because you don't like the outcome is ludicrous.
No it won't hurt the team but it will send the message that diving will not be tolerated. Give one warning then a game suspension for further transgression.

Alot of coaches won't tolerate divers on their teams. Jacques Martin is one of them. He ran Andre Roy out of Ottawa for diving. Pat Burns is another one. He ran Claude Lemieux out Montreal for diving. But some coaches do.

This is not sour grapes about the outcome. But just an opinion that the game would be better off if the league penalized divers more severly. The outcome and the timing have just highlighted this issue.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:41 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsdude
I would be more worried about your spare team with Keenan at the GM helm than a dive

Keenan's record as GM is excellent. In Chicago, Savard for Chelios. In Vancouver, Bertuzzi & McCabe for Linden. He has made some excellent trades.

Rick Dudley and Bryan Murray before him left the team in a shambles. Murray replaced vets with rookies who weren't ready and/or couldn't play. Dudley got rid of the last of the vets and threw the young players to the wolves instead of leaving them in Junior or the farm team.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:49 AM
Dr GLU

I agree it should be penalized more severely, but I don't see how suspensions to guys who play 13 minutes a night does it.

I've had an idea that you have an off-ice official at the game whose sole purpose is to catch dives. I don't know how that exactly would work (do they buzz the ref, wait until a stoppage, etc.?), but having someone there to only catch these things and then penalize the offending team, I think would stamp it out really fast.

The bottom line is the impetus has to come from the league to stop diving, and they have to come up with a way to hurt the teams for it in game nearly every time there is a dive. Right now, they see it as a bit of a problem, but not a glaring one, otherwise the system would be harsher.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
starshockeyfan56

Suspended over a dive? ya...right. Good luck with that.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Big Mama*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU
The bottom line is the impetus has to come from the league to stop diving, and they have to come up with a way to hurt the teams for it in game nearly every time there is a dive. Right now, they see it as a bit of a problem, but not a glaring one, otherwise the system would be harsher.
I agree but I don't see how they can hurt a team in-game, when the Refs themselves are fooled.

Closed Thread