HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

Critics Come out again, do you agree?

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2005, 02:09 AM
Canes Fan

vCash: 500
Critics Come out again, do you agree?

This is what CBS Sportsline said about the Canes.

December 6 article (Written before the last win)

http://www.sportsline.com/nhl/story/9080874

Quote:
This week ranked 16 Carolina Hurricanes Last week 9
They've gone eight games without a regulation victory largely because the 'Canes offense is one-dimensional. Fifteen of Carolina's past 26 goals have come from Eric Staal's line.
Do you agree with CBS Sportsline that the Canes are one-dimensional?

Hopefully now that Whitney is back we will pick back up where we were a few weeks ago. Hopefully Whitney should get Cullen and the power play going again. Tversdosky being back and playing 7 defensemen again must have helped the defense. They looked great last night against the Ducks.

A big test comes tonight against the Kings.

Old
12-08-2005, 04:16 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
RIP Kev

vCash: 445
I don't agree with them at all. When you look at all the injuries that the Canes had durring their 8 game winless stretch the Staal line and the 4th line were the only ones that were intact. A healthy Ray Whitney does wonders for this team and especially our powerplay.

Old
12-08-2005, 06:24 AM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Check out the record of the team with and without Ray Whitney. That tells a lot right there.

Old
12-08-2005, 06:52 AM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam
Check out the record of the team with and without Ray Whitney. That tells a lot right there.
I was going to mention this in the Anaheim thread LOL

Anyhoot, I stopped listening to hockey critics a couple of months ago. I swear, hockey is the only sport where 90% of the so called "critics" talk out of their *** because they don't bother to do in-depth research (i.e., bother to think) before typeset hits paper.

I my opinion, hockey "critics" do their best to kill their own sport. This is why I have been posting less because I generally stay away from everything now until it's game day. If any big news pop up (like the Thornton trade) I'll catch wind of it but everything else I get sick of hearing about it. Winnipeg. Quebec. Luongo. Bertuzzi. Avery (not being held accountable for his racism). It's just a bunch of gossiping housewives talking out of their *****.

Quote:
They've gone eight games without a regulation victory largely because the 'Canes offense is one-dimensional. Fifteen of Carolina's past 26 goals have come from Eric Staal's line.
No, CBS Sportsline, it's because the Canes have been hit by injuries. Duh, with a skilled player like Eric Staal on your first line I can see why scoring from the other lines is down when other sparkplug on your team, Ray Whitney, is amongst the said injured.

Too much.

And don't get me started on Daren 'Freaking' Eliot! I try to read his stuff and it basically should be served with a side order of dung and a big cup of yellow snow.

Exit Storminator16.

Last edited by HughJass*: 12-08-2005 at 06:59 AM.
Old
12-08-2005, 07:43 AM
wisssh

Send a message via Yahoo to wisssh
Things slowly getting back to normal (healthy bodies) and it showed against the Ducks.

4 road games 5 pts out of possible 8 pts not bad.. I'll take that any day.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:47 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16
I my opinion, hockey "critics" do their best to kill their own sport. This is why I have been posting less because I generally stay away from everything now until it's game day. If any big news pop up (like the Thornton trade) I'll catch wind of it but everything else I get sick of hearing about it. Winnipeg. Quebec. Luongo. Bertuzzi. Avery (not being held accountable for his racism). It's just a bunch of gossiping housewives talking out of their *****.

When was Avery racist? French-Canadians are not a race.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:18 AM
Obi Wan LaRosie

Send a message via AIM to Obi Wan LaRosie Send a message via Yahoo to Obi Wan LaRosie
there was a media report that he used a racial slur on the ice...although I forget against which player. This was mentioned by that player (who he fought and apparently doesnt get along with) and then the media blew it up. this took place two years ago I think (please correct me if I am wrong) and he has denied it completely the whole time (obviously). By the way, it doesnt matter where you are from as to whether or not you are a racist.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Jag68Sid87

Georges Laraque is black and French-Canadian, so Avery has a LOT to say about him.

As for the original thread question, the 'Canes are like most good hockey teams...they can't survive offensively with a rash of injuries up front. One-dimensional? Hardly. Fourth-line guys like Kevyn Adams don't rack up hat tricks on one-dimensional teams.

Old
12-08-2005, 12:03 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle

When was Avery racist? French-Canadians are not a race.
Yes, I was speaking about the George Laraque incident and the French-Canadian incident. The only people who dare to speak on anyone's ethnicity in the negative manner in which he made it is a racist. I said this after the French-Canadian comments, I didn't need the George Laraque incident to prove I was right.

Then again, I'm living in my own little world. A world in which I don't have to deal with people like Steve Avery, and 99% of the hockey fans out there

Old
12-08-2005, 12:45 PM
jeffbear

OK ... back to the original question.

No. Carolina has not become one dimensional since they cooled off. In fact, Carolina has gotten consistent scoring from Staal and Jutin Williams over this stretch, and they play on different lines and different power play units. What Carolina has become is a bad penalty killing team. That has REALLY bitten them in the butt, and I'd spread the blame equally between the skaters and the goalies on that score.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:24 AM
LadyByngJeanRatelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storminator16
Yes, I was speaking about the George Laraque incident and the French-Canadian incident. The only people who dare to speak on anyone's ethnicity in the negative manner in which he made it is a racist. I said this after the French-Canadian comments, I didn't need the George Laraque incident to prove I was right.

Then again, I'm living in my own little world. A world in which I don't have to deal with people like Steve Avery, and 99% of the hockey fans out there
This is getting way off topic but:

The Georges Laraques supposed incident was all heresy. Only Laraques claims it happened, no one on the ice at the time heard anything. It came down to Avery's word vs. Laraques' word. There is no other further evidence proving Avery has made any racial comments at all.

Again, you need to understand what the word racist means. French-Canadians are not a race of people. If you happen to think (which I don't), that French-Canadian hockey players are a bunch of gutless, visor-wearing floaters on the ice, it doesn't make you a racist.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:46 PM
HughJass*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyByngJeanRatelle
Again, you need to understand what the word racist means.
Again, you didn't understand the point I was trying to make.

The only people who dare to speak on anyone's ethnicity in the negative manner in which Avery did on the French-Canadian subject is a racist in my eyes. If he's not afraid to say stuff like that, I hate to think what he would say about different ethnic group. Call me gullible, but I don't think Avery is surrounded by people of different culures. When the crap with Laraque came about, this confirmed what I was saying after the French-Canadian comments. People who flap their gums are the ones you can't trust. What's going to come out of his mouth next?

Would the word bigot suit you more, sir? One and the same to me. Just call me ignorant, because I don't care what you think of me. I just know what I think of Avery.

I'm not about to go back and forth with anyone on here on anything, so have a good day, sir.

Last edited by HughJass*: 12-09-2005 at 10:52 PM.
Old
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
Champ

I am a french canadian and i think that what avery said is very sad.

Is true in Canada we have some trouble with English and French but you know what?

When i see video of Grezt and Lemieux score the goal in 1987 for Canada vs Russia i think is a symbolic goal. The two best players in history of hockey a english and a french work together...

I know i far of the subject and what a said if king of weird!

And by the Way GO STAAL GO!

Old
12-11-2005, 11:35 PM
Canes Fan

Back to the subject

I never meant the thread to talk about Steve Avery?

It seems after the 2 wins in California some people are saying good things again but that is just until we have another bad night. Hopefully this week with the Blackhawks, Columbus and the Devils we should have 3 victories - but who knows if they will be tired after the road trip.

This is what one group said this week.

Quote:
7. CAROLINA HURRICANES (5) – Kevyn Adams’s hat trick led the Hurricanes to a decisive victory over the Ducks in Anaheim on Tuesday. First-line left wing Erik Cole cooled off considerably over the past couple of weeks, but his two-goal night against the Kings served notice that he might be getting back on track.

Old
12-11-2005, 11:40 PM
Transported Upstater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ
When i see video of Grezt and Lemieux score the goal in 1987 for Canada vs Russia i think is a symbolic goal. The two best players in history of hockey a english and a french work together...

Post of the day.

Closed Thread