HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tonights player report card

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2003, 08:07 PM
  #1
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Tonights player report card

I also threw in some comments from the previous two games.

Brewer - not bad defensively, but very tentative in his own zone. It looks like he is scared to make a mistake.

Chimera - Really didn't notice him all night. Didn't make any glaring defensive errors but didn't create anything either.

Cross - Played ok defensively but makes a few glaring errors every game it seems. Tonight's error led to the Flames goal. Puck comes around the boards to him. He has time to get on his forehand and clear the zone. Instead he does a weak backhand to the blueline which the Flames intercept. Flames then score.

Dvorak - Seems to be cruising on autopilot to me. How much slack does he get for having his wife with a premature baby in a far away land. Ok I'll lay off for now!

Ferguson - Pretty solid defensively, and that is why he is still here. I have had no problem with his play.

Hemsky - Created at least four chances to score tonight and players either botched the pass or shot it wide.

Horcoff - Lazy penalty tonight but has been solid on the fourth line.

Isbister - Invisible in the first two games, played better tonight. Has to be more consistent.

Laraque - Best player on the ice tonight, one of the best in the first game. One of the few Oiler bright spots.

Moreau - solid defensively. Nothing else to say, and not one bad penalty in three games.

Pisani - Good defensive player but is creating nothing offensively.

Reasoner - Again good defensively, but not creating any offence.

Salo - has played well, no complaints from me. Obviously he has not been the problem when his team hasn't scored a goal in 120 minutes.

Smith - Bad pass early in the game, but was very good all night.

Smyth - Blech! Horrible last two games, needs to move back to the wing. Time to insert Stoll at centre.

Staios - Solid effort, but was not very good in making the outlet passes tonight.

Torres - Had two great chances to score, had a solid hit which was mistakenly called a penalty. Good start to the season.

York - really hasn't done anything offensively. Needs to create for this team to go anywhere.

Edit (forgot Bergeron)

Bergeron - Ok game but made a few pinches that created odd man rushes and really hasn't done enough offensively to atone for those kind of errors.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:13 PM
  #2
Mizral
Registered User
 
Mizral's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Earth, MW
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,119
vCash: 500
Good stuff, Spaz. For those of us who didn't catch the game, that was a good read.

Mizral is offline  
Old
10-14-2003, 10:25 PM
  #3
Hemsky4PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Billeting Ales
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
To defend M-A, he was pinching when the Oilers needed a goal. I think he's been our best defenseman thusfar, that's not saying much.

Hemsky4PM is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 03:18 AM
  #4
Yanner39
Registered User
 
Yanner39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Ottawa ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,334
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I also threw in some comments from the previous two games.

Brewer - not bad defensively, but very tentative in his own zone. It looks like he is scared to make a mistake.

Chimera - Really didn't notice him all night. Didn't make any glaring defensive errors but didn't create anything either.

Cross - Played ok defensively but makes a few glaring errors every game it seems. Tonight's error led to the Flames goal. Puck comes around the boards to him. He has time to get on his forehand and clear the zone. Instead he does a weak backhand to the blueline which the Flames intercept. Flames then score.

Dvorak - Seems to be cruising on autopilot to me. How much slack does he get for having his wife with a premature baby in a far away land. Ok I'll lay off for now!

Ferguson - Pretty solid defensively, and that is why he is still here. I have had no problem with his play.

Hemsky - Created at least four chances to score tonight and players either botched the pass or shot it wide.

Horcoff - Lazy penalty tonight but has been solid on the fourth line.

Isbister - Invisible in the first two games, played better tonight. Has to be more consistent.

Laraque - Best player on the ice tonight, one of the best in the first game. One of the few Oiler bright spots.

Moreau - solid defensively. Nothing else to say, and not one bad penalty in three games.

Pisani - Good defensive player but is creating nothing offensively.

Reasoner - Again good defensively, but not creating any offence.

Salo - has played well, no complaints from me. Obviously he has not been the problem when his team hasn't scored a goal in 120 minutes.

Smith - Bad pass early in the game, but was very good all night.

Smyth - Blech! Horrible last two games, needs to move back to the wing. Time to insert Stoll at centre.

Staios - Solid effort, but was not very good in making the outlet passes tonight.

Torres - Had two great chances to score, had a solid hit which was mistakenly called a penalty. Good start to the season.

York - really hasn't done anything offensively. Needs to create for this team to go anywhere.

Edit (forgot Bergeron)

Bergeron - Ok game but made a few pinches that created odd man rushes and really hasn't done enough offensively to atone for those kind of errors.
I agree with pretty much all you wrote spaz. I think right now Pisani's just taking up a roster spot.

For Hemsky, actually based on what some people have written about him during training camp, I am a little disappointed. Maybe it's because of all the hype.

I agree with your Smyth assessment. It's tough to take a winger and change him to center. Maybe Stoll should be inserted somewhere and have Smyth do what he does best.

Yanner39 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 05:12 AM
  #5
Mr Sakich
Registered User
 
Mr Sakich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Motel 35
Posts: 8,038
vCash: 500
my take on the debacle (thank God I declined an invitation to go to the game)

The Good

isbister - this games justifies the trade. He was just about the only power forward we have that can create. For anyone who saw the game, try to imagine what we would be writing if he didn't play last night.

Torres - I am so glad he is an oiler. He is one of the only reasons to watch an oiler game right now. BS penalty called on him. $%#@##$@

Devo - creative guy who could have had a couple of assists. Best offensive player last night.

Salo - our best player last night.

The OK

Laraque - one of our best forwards last night. This is so sad when a plugger is your guy most likely to score

Horcoff - getting more confidence.

York - what in the world is he doing playing with ethan and pisani?? Frckin mact started the blender last night and this made absolutely no sense. His shot wouldn't break a pain of glass so I think he isn't 100% yet.

Ferguson and Bergeron - our best dmen last night, fergie even got into the play a few times. He was our best offensive threat from the blue line.

Ethan, pisani, chimera, reasoner, brewer, cross, staios- never made anything happen in either end which makes mact happy

The Bad

Hemsky - we are counting on him to score and he isn't producing. It is that simple.

smyth - is clearly out of position. A couple of attempted passes were horribly amatuerish. He is a power forward, not a centre. Experiment over.

smith - if we start a rebuilding mode, he would be my first choice to get the boot. All heart and soul but why was he ever a captain? A couple of bad giveaways

The Very Very Very Bad

Mact - his job is to get the guys motivated to play and that didn't happen. He also reverted to the blender in the third period. It wasn't very much fun watching your team down by a goal and trying to make passes to new linemates.

Mr Sakich is online now  
Old
10-15-2003, 06:05 AM
  #6
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky4PM
To defend M-A, he was pinching when the Oilers needed a goal. I think he's been our best defenseman thusfar, that's not saying much.
True but he also had had pinches when the Oilers were leading in the first game, and some of his pinches that he lost he had no chance of winning. You still have to pinch smart even when trailing.

I like Bergeron but that is a weakness he will need to correct at this level.

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 06:38 AM
  #7
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,860
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
My report Card:

Smyth - has been invisible all season except the third period of the first game. Looks very out of place - and his assets aren't being used where he is.

Horcoff - has played good with the icetime given to him - hasn't been given the chance to step up like everybody wanted yet.

Torres - one of our best players in first three games. Hits as often as he can - creates some offense and is smart with the puck, I'm thrilled with him play.

Hemsky - hasn't been as good as hoped so far - but he's creating lots of chances that his linemates aren't capitalizing on, only thing required for this kid to succed is patience and a linemate with finish.

Chimera - has been very quiet the last two games, Horcoff deserves that top six spot more then Chimera. Nothing bad defensively, but nothing good offensively either.

Bergeron - Has been our best Dman. Has looked exceptional. Moving the puck real good, pinching at the right times - not scared to jump into the play. Still has 2-3 scary plays a night, but has yet to be burned on it.

Staios - not much offensively, hasn't moved the puck out of our end well, hasn't been playing physical either - needs to step up.

Laraque - probably one of the best three or four players so far. Has created offense, has been hitting alot more (following Torres' lead) and hasn't done any bad in his own end - liking the effort he's showing, as our fourth line will live and die with him.

Dvorak - has created a few chances, and has skated hard, but the instincts don't seem to be present as his mind is forgivingly else where.

Brewer - MUCH more is needed from him if we are to make the playoffs. Eric needs to create more offense, defensively he's been so-so, but has made 2-3 cough-ups a game so far (only a couple were bad).

Ferguson - As much of a supporter I am for gettting in Semenov, it shouldn't be in his place - he's been real good with Bergeron to make our best pairing so-far.

Pisani - MacT's new Cleary. Doesn't make a difference defensively (just doesn't hurt us thats all) and brings nothing offensively. Has no business getting the time he does when players like Stoll, Rita, Salmo, Horcoff are all below him.

Smith - could play more physical, hasn't taken stupid penalties after the play so far though. Still real solid defensively.

Cross - has no business being in the lineup over Semenov much less on the first pairing. disgusts me how MacT will pay a 6-7th Dman on the top pairing because he has a hard on for veterans (his camp was as bad as Semenovs - but Semenov will bring more)

York - has been invisible. I'm not sure how good his wrist is, but he played better with the cast on last year then what he has in the first three games. Needs to start skating and making good plays with the puck if he can't shoot effectively.

Moreau - has played good defensively, has been exceptional on the PK with Reasoner, and has created chances. Was one of the Oilers best players against Calgary.

Reasoner - pretty much same thing with Moreau. Don't understand how people are saying they are doing nothing offensively... they have got two or three good chances a night.... they'll start to find the twine with time.

Isbister - has played real good. Hes making some real nice moves in the offensive zone, just hasn't potted any yet, but he's created three or four real prime scoring chances so far this season. He's hit hard and often, playing REALLY physical! I'm pleased, keep it up and the numbers will come.

Salo - Has been good. Of all the goals that have been scored on him only the one goal against the Sharks should have been stopped. Was hung out to dry against Vancover and was good when tested vs the Flames - needs his team to score so they can win though.

thome_26 is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 08:29 AM
  #8
Ryno
BEHOLD!!
 
Ryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: G.P
Country: Canada
Posts: 529
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
I also threw in some comments from the previous two games.

Brewer - not bad defensively, but very tentative in his own zone. It looks like he is scared to make a mistake.

Chimera - Really didn't notice him all night. Didn't make any glaring defensive errors but didn't create anything either.

Cross - Played ok defensively but makes a few glaring errors every game it seems. Tonight's error led to the Flames goal. Puck comes around the boards to him. He has time to get on his forehand and clear the zone. Instead he does a weak backhand to the blueline which the Flames intercept. Flames then score.

Dvorak - Seems to be cruising on autopilot to me. How much slack does he get for having his wife with a premature baby in a far away land. Ok I'll lay off for now!

Ferguson - Pretty solid defensively, and that is why he is still here. I have had no problem with his play.

Hemsky - Created at least four chances to score tonight and players either botched the pass or shot it wide.

Horcoff - Lazy penalty tonight but has been solid on the fourth line.

Isbister - Invisible in the first two games, played better tonight. Has to be more consistent.

Laraque - Best player on the ice tonight, one of the best in the first game. One of the few Oiler bright spots.

Moreau - solid defensively. Nothing else to say, and not one bad penalty in three games.

Pisani - Good defensive player but is creating nothing offensively.

Reasoner - Again good defensively, but not creating any offence.

Salo - has played well, no complaints from me. Obviously he has not been the problem when his team hasn't scored a goal in 120 minutes.

Smith - Bad pass early in the game, but was very good all night.

Smyth - Blech! Horrible last two games, needs to move back to the wing. Time to insert Stoll at centre.

Staios - Solid effort, but was not very good in making the outlet passes tonight.

Torres - Had two great chances to score, had a solid hit which was mistakenly called a penalty. Good start to the season.

York - really hasn't done anything offensively. Needs to create for this team to go anywhere.

Edit (forgot Bergeron)

Bergeron - Ok game but made a few pinches that created odd man rushes and really hasn't done enough offensively to atone for those kind of errors.
Only one minor beef from me, and that's with Moreau. He took a a pretty bad elbowing penalty to negate an Oilers powerplay against the Canucks, which for him isn't too bad!

Other than that, bang on.

Ryno is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 10:53 AM
  #9
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher
 
Mowzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Lebanon, Alberta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Offense (F)
Defense (B-)
Goaltending (A-)
PP (F)
PK (C)
Coaching (D)

Overall grade (D-)

Mowzie is offline  
Old
10-15-2003, 12:02 PM
  #10
hockeyaddict101
Registered User
 
hockeyaddict101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 19,903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno
Only one minor beef from me, and that's with Moreau. He took a a pretty bad elbowing penalty to negate an Oilers powerplay against the Canucks, which for him isn't too bad!

Other than that, bang on.
Good point. I forgot about that penalty, thanks!

hockeyaddict101 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.