HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adam Oates

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 09:00 PM
oilbaron

vCash: 500
Adam Oates

he's still out there, looking for a home... I wouldn't mind seeing him in an Oilers uniform this season - it'd put an end to this Smyth-at-centre experiment which obviously isn't working.

Thoughts?

Old
10-14-2003, 09:13 PM
LoudmouthHemskyFan#2

He is the exact player we do not need...We need someone who can bury those beautiful Hemsky passes...We need a Bondra or a Modin who can pop those goals in...not Oates who will set up more guys who cant score..thats why we have Ales...If we are getting a UFA i hope it would be Berezin who was some scoring touch but he doesnt have enough "bang for our buck"

Old
10-15-2003, 04:39 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#2
He is the exact player we do not need...We need someone who can bury those beautiful Hemsky passes...We need a Bondra or a Modin who can pop those goals in...not Oates who will set up more guys who cant score..thats why we have Ales...If we are getting a UFA i hope it would be Berezin who was some scoring touch but he doesnt have enough "bang for our buck"
BEREZIN!! Your joking right. Never! I'd rather pay Martha Stewart to be my broker!

Adam Oates is a skilled veteran. He may not be speedy but hes got more savvy than any other player on our team. He helped the Ducks reach the cup finals and he could provide some offence we obviously need. Oates can help. I support the motion. Go get Oates and bring up Stoll. Stop the punishment of watching Smyth and York getting pasted.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:58 AM
LawnDemon

oates is looking for something in the order of 3 - 3.5 million per season and has been paraphrased as saying he won't play for less (or for a non-contender). that doesn't sound like a future oiler to me.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:07 AM
rabi_sultan

Send a message via ICQ to rabi_sultan Send a message via AIM to rabi_sultan Send a message via MSN to rabi_sultan Send a message via Yahoo to rabi_sultan
just another posotive point for an Oates bandwagon (if you can call two a bandwagon btw im not on it) is that he's got experience and leadership something that is vital for the oil.

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky don't look bad.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:20 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabi_sultan
just another posotive point for an Oates bandwagon (if you can call two a bandwagon btw im not on it) is that he's got experience and leadership something that is vital for the oil.

Smyth-Oates-Hemsky don't look bad.

I suppose I am on the Oates bandwagon. I've liked him since he was in St-Louis setting up Shanahan. I am sure he could help our PP. Simpson would love him.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:21 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnDemon
oates is looking for something in the order of 3 - 3.5 million per season and has been paraphrased as saying he won't play for less (or for a non-contender). that doesn't sound like a future oiler to me.
those of you on the "bandwagon" - have you even considered "reality"?

Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
those of you on the "bandwagon" - have you even considered "reality"?
I'm on the bandwagon, and here's why (just to keep beating a dead horse):

1. Great faceoff guy
2. Still possesses great skill
3. Good on the powerplay
4. Good on the penalty kill
5. A ton of experience
6. Still no cup - which could serve as a rallying point for the team
7. Natural centre
8. Would be seen as a trade deadline commodity, if we can address our centre position in other ways - maybe Philly would give us 3 first round picks.
9. He said the offers he was getting were under $2M - but we could offer $2.5 + a games played bonus, or $3M and still have it fit our salary structure.
10. Has been seen as a great team guy in past few years.
11. Would show Oiler players and fans that they're serious about improving their playoff hopes after losing some key veteran centremen.

I wouldn't like him on a line with Hemsky, as they're both playmakers. But I could see the top two lines looking like this:

Smyth York Hemsky
Isbister Oates Dvorak

The drawbacks are:

1. $3M might be perceived as too much by some fans
2. Could mess up team chemistry
3. Might not want to come here
4. Small size

Old
10-15-2003, 08:07 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
The drawbacks are:
$3Mil is too much period. Especially when you consider that it would make him the 2nd highest paid player on the team (3rd including goalies). He certainly isn't worth that. He does bring a lot to the table, but I can't see the Oilers giving up $3mil to Oates.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:15 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
2. Could mess up team chemistry
3. Might not want to come here
4. Small size
these four "drawbacks" outweigh any positives you can come up with. i'll help by clarifying a bit...

1. $3M IS too much for oates on ANY small market team. (hell, $3M would likely be enough to make comrie stop pouting and he would be exponentially more useful than oates)
2. WOULD mess up team chemistry
3. DOES NOT want to come here
4. who cares how big he is - he's too OLD and SLOW

come on people. drop this one - it's really a stretch.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:00 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

just to keep beating a dead horse from mrmackey how about the cat.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:01 AM
Obsessed

Quote:
these four "drawbacks" outweigh any positives you can come up with. i'll help by clarifying a bit...

1. $3M IS too much for oates on ANY small market team. (hell, $3M would likely be enough to make comrie stop pouting and he would be exponentially more useful than oates)

Geez LD last I checked it was a free discussion. Reality or not he is available and therefore fair game to theorize.

Unless your his agent or Uncle I think we are as realistic as you.

Oates should be had for about 2.. Mil. That is in our budget forsure. Hell if we can try Dopita we can try Oates. How WOULD he mess up team chemistry. If we won a few games with him in the line-up chances are there wouldn't be too many hard feelings. Its only for one year.

Berard is also said to be in discussion with a western team. We could sure use him and he would sign for around 1.6 Mil.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:07 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

i like the idea of signing berard, blah blah blah he makes mistakes so friggin what at least he can move the puck up and add some offense. who on the oilers can do that right now, nobody plus we already have some guys who give the puck away.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:25 AM
MrMackey

Quote:

I disagree. I understand where you and dawgbone are coming from, but Oates would be coming in as a veteran first/second line centre... and this would only be a one year contract without raises. True Comrie would bring more, but signing him to a $3M base at 23 would be ridiculous at this point in his career.

Oates is a proven guy who got similar points to Comrie in similar games played (45PT, -1 in 67GP vs Comrie's 51PT, -18 in 69GP), who I would consider a better bargain at $3M than Comrie's $4.5M (w/ bonuses)... not to mention Oates tied for the team lead in playoff points with 13.

This year there should be more money available due to the shedding of Marchant, Cleary, and Comrie's contracts, the Heritage game, the rising dollar, and not many significant raises with this year's roster.

$3M does fit in to the pay structure, as Oates would be a guy that's earned his money, would be playing an offensive role and would likely finish in the team's top five in scoring, and would bring some experience to one of the NHLs youngest teams.

Quote:
If this proves true, it could easily be mitigated with a trade, release, or a pre-negotiated buy-out price. The team chemistry can only go so far, and I'm not conviced that chemistry can solve a void at centre... also not convinced that bringing in Oates would throw chemistry off.

Quote:
Could be true. If this is the case, then he won't be here in the first place (and may be the reason why he isn't)

Quote:

We have speed and youth to compensate.

And I don't think its a stretch. What's a stretch IMO, is believing we can get along fine for 15-25 games without a #1 or 2 centreman - assuming we will be able to snag a big, talented centre in return for a disgruntled, but talented Comrie. Or thinking that some prospect (Hudler, Ribiero, Sutherby & Lundmark to a certain extent) will come in here and be able to fill the void at centre without any growing pains.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:47 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
Geez LD last I checked it was a free discussion. Reality or not he is available and therefore fair game to theorize.

Unless your his agent or Uncle I think we are as realistic as you.

Oates should be had for about 2.. Mil. That is in our budget forsure. Hell if we can try Dopita we can try Oates. How WOULD he mess up team chemistry. If we won a few games with him in the line-up chances are there wouldn't be too many hard feelings. Its only for one year.

Berard is also said to be in discussion with a western team. We could sure use him and he would sign for around 1.6 Mil.
it's not a matter of whether or not i'm related to oates. i read lots of hockey articles and follow the NHL with, what my wife has described as, a fanaticism bordering on creepy.

hence the following information hopefully more clearly explained (for you too mackey):

***oates speculation***
- oates has publicly stated on a number of occasions that he WILL NOT suit up for a non-contender
- oates has publicly stated that it would take a significant amount of money to get him to suit up again (something in the 3 - 3.5 million range). hence, he could NOT be had by the oilers for 2 mil - or any amount for that matter. also, that type of attitude would not fit in well in the oilers dressing room - thus the bad chemistry comment.

***berard speculation***
- the bruins can match any offer to berard that is BELOW his arbitration award (that’s what the bruins are waiting for). hence, he could NOT be had for 1.6 million and the oilers would not be interested in paying him what the idiot arbitrator suggested he was worth.

the result? both of these ideas are going nowhere. i hope i've managed to clarify why I suggested that the discussion had little merit.

Old
10-15-2003, 10:21 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
***oates speculation***
- oates has publicly stated on a number of occasions that he WILL NOT suit up for a non-contender
I hadn't seen this anywhere... but don't have trouble believing it.

So if true, you are correct in that all other discussion is moot.

Old
10-15-2003, 10:38 AM
MrMackey

Quote:
***berard speculation***
- the bruins can match any offer to berard that is BELOW his arbitration award (that’s what the bruins are waiting for). hence, he could NOT be had for 1.6 million and the oilers would not be interested in paying him what the idiot arbitrator suggested he was worth.
I'm only half for getting him in the lineup, and not for $2.5M (the arbitration award), but they can sign without a match for something like $2M, and the Bruins said they wouldn't match for anything over $1.8... this could be lip service, but it doesn't cost anything to try does it?

Anyway, I'm pretty tired of a lot of this speculation stuff myself... but something has to happen soon IMO.

Old
10-15-2003, 11:17 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
LMAO. Funny how a guy who thinks the discussion is ludicrous has been its largest contributor. Why stifle discussion?

Quote:
it's not a matter of whether or not i'm related to oates. i read lots of hockey articles and follow the NHL with, what my wife has described as, a fanaticism bordering on creepy.

hence the following information hopefully more clearly explained (for you too mackey):

***oates speculation***
- oates has publicly stated that it would take a significant amount of money to get him to suit up again (something in the 3 - 3.5 million range). hence, he could NOT be had by the oilers for 2 mil - or any amount for that matter. also, that type of attitude would not fit in well in the oilers dressing room - thus the bad chemistry comment.

***berard speculation***

the result? both of these ideas are going nowhere. i hope i've managed to clarify why I suggested that the discussion had little merit.

Old
10-15-2003, 11:26 AM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam
LMAO. Funny how a guy who thinks the discussion is ludicrous has been its largest contributor. Why stiffle discussion?
i've never claimed to be rational. i am, however, REALLY bored.

Closed Thread