HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Arturs Irbe : no longer a Hurricane?

Closed Thread

Old
10-16-2003, 11:43 AM
Brownies

vCash: 500
Arturs Irbe : no longer a Hurricane

I don't know if it's a news, but they say on rds that carolina gave their right on Irbe to some East coast league team. He was a good goaltender, but he should retire now...

Old
10-16-2003, 11:45 AM
Hyped

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownies
I don't know if it's a news, but they say on rds that carolina gave their right on Irbe to some East coast league team. He was a good goaltender, but he should retire now...
Yeah, he was sent to the Johnstown Chiefs of the ECHL...

Old
10-16-2003, 11:46 AM
looooob

I don' t think it would be that easy to get rid of his contract?

he may well be moving to the ECHL with a goalie glut in Lowell, but that doesn't mean the 'Canes don't still own him and his contract, I wouldn' t think

Old
10-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob
I don' t think it would be that easy to get rid of his contract?

he may well be moving to the ECHL with a goalie glut in Lowell, but that doesn't mean the 'Canes don't still own him and his contract, I wouldn' t think
Probably... If it was that easy, Cujo and Jagr would be in the East cost league too !!!

Old
10-16-2003, 12:42 PM
Chehabi

Send a message via AIM to Chehabi
Why didnt they just keep Irbe in the AHL? Or buy him out? Its one thing to keep a goalie that expensive in the AHL and another to keep him in the ECHL.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:47 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chehabi
Why didnt they just keep Irbe in the AHL? Or buy him out? Its one thing to keep a goalie that expensive in the AHL and another to keep him in the ECHL.
it's not that simple... the Canes share their farm team with the Flames, so there are limits as to how many players they can keep there... then you have to give priority to the top prospects your team is developing, over a guy that has no where else to go.

just no room for him... I'm sure that both the Flames and Canes have prospects they'd rather see in the A, then having a guy like Irbe there.

Old
10-16-2003, 12:52 PM
Brownies

It's really unusual when you think about it...

Old
10-16-2003, 02:30 PM
Lanny MacDonald*

The Canes have been trying to buyout Irbe. He won't accept the offer and wants his whole contract. The Canes are trying to play hardball and get him to accept by sending him to the ECHL and humilating him. His contract is worth more than a team is in the ECHL, so that should put things into perspective. He gets more in a week than the whole roster does in a month. Its a gamble that Irbe will get sick of the buses and the Super 8 motels and just quit or accept the buyout offer on the table. Time will tell.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Hossa

This Irbe situation is the exact same as Damian Rhodes.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:32 PM
Trotsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
it's not that simple... the Canes share their farm team with the Flames, so there are limits as to how many players they can keep there... then you have to give priority to the top prospects your team is developing, over a guy that has no where else to go.

just no room for him... I'm sure that both the Flames and Canes have prospects they'd rather see in the A, then having a guy like Irbe there.
While I agree with you, I also believe that the demotion is really a slap in the face. It is almost like they are trying to get him to retire. A stint in the ECHL would be enough for most veteran hockey players.

I find it amusing that Irbe is going to keep playing and make them honour their contract. I would probably do the same!

Old
10-16-2003, 03:14 PM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

Oh man, talk about taking a big tumble from the top.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:26 PM
PensFan68

I would play in the ECHL too. Yeah, I'm sure he would rather not get humiliated, but hell, I'd make a couple million(not sure how much he makes) to take a bit of humiliation.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:30 PM
duckjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68
I would play in the ECHL too. Yeah, I'm sure he would rather not get humiliated, but hell, I'd make a couple million(not sure how much he makes) to take a bit of humiliation.
not true, when a contract is signed, assuming it is a one way contract, and the player is willing to play wherever he is sent, all the money is garunteed. This assumes there are no buy out provisions in the contract, which obviously with atrus irbe, there are not.

Old
10-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

I posted this in the Canes forum and the ECHL forum - and then just saw it here.

Very interesting to say the least...Either Irbe sure has a love for the game, or he is very needy of cash. He might have not managed his money the right way, which would be a real shame.

The ECHL isn't that bad, and even though Johnstown is in the middle of nowhere, they just renovated the arena (the same arena SlapShot was filmed in) this year.

This will be a very interesting situation to monitor throughout the season. I'm going to bet and say that he doesn't last the entire season there.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:12 PM
Brownies

I'm just thinking about it, he'll probably still play for Latvia at the World championship... Probably the only ECHL player to play in the WC !!!

Old
10-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

This is something wierd, as the ECHL has a weekly salary cap of $10,000 or something like that. There's probably a good explanation for all that, but I'm not too familiar with the ECHL.

The Canes are obviously playing hardball, but what happens if Irbe fights back and just plays better hockey? If he starts winning, he'll get called up to Lowell. Then if he wins there, he'll replace Storr as Weekes' backup. Then he could win his job back. Not likely, but I'd like to see it happen. Then if they still want to get rid of him, some people might take him on for a run at the cup.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:23 PM
Doghouse

Send a message via AIM to Doghouse
I live in Johnstown. I grew up watching the Chiefs.

I was getting gas today, and my dad calls me and tells me Irbe's playing for the Chiefs.

After I composed myself enough, he went on to say that Irbe's getting paid 2.7 million this year in the ECHL. Probably the highest paid player in ECHL history.

Not only that, but guess how much of that the Chiefs have to pay.........

The Chiefs are contractually obligated to pay about $500 a month to Irbe, and the rest of the tab is picked up by Carolina.

This is the biggest news in Johnstown history since the '77 flood.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Brownies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse
I live in Johnstown. I grew up watching the Chiefs.

I was getting gas today, and my dad calls me and tells me Irbe's playing for the Chiefs.

After I composed myself enough, he went on to say that Irbe's getting paid 2.7 million this year in the ECHL. Probably the highest paid player in ECHL history.

Not only that, but guess how much of that the Chiefs have to pay.........

The Chiefs are contractually obligated to pay about $500 a month to Irbe, and the rest of the tab is picked up by Carolina.

This is the biggest news in Johnstown history since the '77 flood.

I would like to hear that some NHLer is coming to play in the Senior AA league !!!

Old
10-16-2003, 05:53 PM
PensFan68

Great news for the little town of Johnstown. Hopefully it brings some people to see the them. I don't live too far away, so I'll probably make a trip to see how he does against the ECHL competition.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:55 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducksflytogether
This is something wierd, as the ECHL has a weekly salary cap of $10,000 or something like that. There's probably a good explanation for all that, but I'm not too familiar with the ECHL.
That's probably when the ECHL teams are paying the contracts. But Carolina's paying Irbe, and as long as he's playing where they want him to, he gets all his money.

Maybe I'm the only one, but I firmly believe Irbe is still capable of playing in the NHL. I'm still amazed that all this has happened to him. If he was (much) cheaper, I'd take him on my team, for sure.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:56 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse

A close to NHL caliber goalie for $500. Couldn't get a better deal.

Old
10-16-2003, 06:45 PM
Clash*

The truely ironic thing about this is Carolina has an ECHL affiliation with the Florida Everblades, who are also owned by the Karmanos family, and Irbe is playin for the Chiefs who are the San Jose Sharks affiliate. Carolina doesn't even have him in their own farm system.

Old
10-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
I was under the impression that you can buyout any contract you want if you pay 60% of it. Sort of like the Habs did with Chow and McKay. There was no negotiation and Chow and McKay had no say in the matter.
A team can buy out any player between the end of Stanley Cup play and June 30th for 2/3 the remaining contract. After that, it's the full contract, unless both parties agree to another amount.

Old
10-16-2003, 09:03 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
Irbe is gonna DOMINATE!!!!

Old
10-16-2003, 10:12 PM
Jacob

Why don't they just loan him to some other AHL team? Unless of course, they really are trying to humiliate him.

Closed Thread