Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
09-03-2011, 04:15 AM
Finnpin

vCash: 500
There was lot of talk about Tomek Valtonen's abilities that is he ready to coach Jokerit A-juniors with his experience and I guess he can.

Teräväinen looks and sounds very promising and hopefully he will see some ice time in the bigs this season.

It's 100% sure Jokerit gets one winger and depending what they land Hardt might drop down from the 1st line.

Old
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Fat Doctor

Once again Teräväinen played at a very high level with his linemates Hahl and Rita. Even better than the few games I saw earlier, this time he truly had the courage to use his dekes and passing game. The physical game was also there, one very hard hit that stopped Bratislava's attack. 0+0, though he created and had some great chances. Especially one 4 on 2 attack with three one-touch passes which resulted a great chance for Teuvo, unfortunately his shot was just wide.

Jokerit won 7-2 btw, all the lines scored and the game was so much fun to watch!

Old
09-05-2011, 12:52 PM
thomast

So the season 2011-2012 is getting started soon, Here's some of my predictions for upcoming season.

Mikael Granlund will score just over PPG and people will talk that he's season was disappointment.

Miikka Salomäki will suprise all and scores great numbers for him. I see that his future is very bright.

I saw Armia playing and i must agree with the ässät fan's that he has gotten much better from last season in overall game. His confidence is only rising and i know that Karri Kivi is an great coach who get's alot from young player's. My predictions that he rips it and is top 3 goal scorer in FEL. I've been very pessimistic about Armia but i liked what i saw.

Sami Vatanen, heart and soul of JYP defence, he will win the D-man scoring without injuries and win's Pekka Rautakallio award again.

Teemu Pulkkinen, Will score alot of point's again, in the range of Granlund's productions or even better but his overall game isn't developing very well and stays in FEL for 2012-2013 season. Many finnish prospects will surpass him in upcoming season.

Teuvo Teräväinen i think that he gonna play with the men atleast at the beginning of the season, he have been good player for jokerit. Very talented player with good work ethic. I think that he has brighter future than Teemu Pulkkinen. will get drafted at 1st-2nd round and he's selected into U-20 tournament.

Sasha Barkov Jr, will play mostly at Jr. A level and dominates it, he get's few FEL games under his belt for this season. My prediction is that he gonna play at U-20 tournament for this year and has suprisingly good tournament and will have enormous hype for the 2013 draft coming into 2012-2013 season. He's better than our most center's.

Olli Määttä, has a good season in the OHL and is his team's best overall defenceman. Plays solid U-20 tournament being #1 defenceman for Finland. Will get drafted in 1st round, maybe even top 15.

Rasmus Ristolainen, plays full season with men's and has solid season without much production tho. Coming into 2012-2013 season people question's his offensive abilities.

Supriser of the FEL season? Micke Åsten, love this kid.

Last edited by thomast: 09-05-2011 at 01:03 PM.
Old
09-05-2011, 01:28 PM
YARR123

Nice list, I'll make some of my own comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
So the season 2011-2012 is getting started soon, Here's some of my predictions for upcoming season.

Rasmus Ristolainen, plays full season with men's and has solid season without much production tho. Coming into 2012-2013 season people question's his offensive abilities.
I agree he will play a full season with the mens league unless he tires out because of the long and grinding season. I expect him to play something like 40 games, with stats of 1+3 or something like that. I doubt people will question his offensive abilities, I mean when is the last time a young player has played a full season a year before his draft year? His offensive game is what has us all amazed.

Quote:
Miikka Salomäki will suprise all and scores great numbers for him. I see that his future is very bright.
I predict 20 goals for this guy. So strong, gritty, will go through a stone wall if needed etc. And all this with solid offensive skills/instincts to boot

Quote:
Teuvo Teräväinen i think that he gonna play with the men atleast at the beginning of the season, he have been good player for jokerit. Very talented player with good work ethic. I think that he has brighter future than Teemu Pulkkinen. will get drafted at 1st-2nd round and he's selected into U-20 tournament.
My prediction with finland goggles on: Almost full season with mens despite one demotion. Will start in 3rd line and score points here and there. At the end of the season he'll get to play on the 1st line and in his last 10 games scores 9 points (3+6). Gets drafted no. 21, plays in U-20 games

Old
09-07-2011, 11:35 AM
ElHefe

I made a high-quality list of the best possible/most talented possible finnish team of the 90-decade born players. It contains only players who have the potential skill-set to turn games and i have totally forgot the ones who have ''wooden-hands''. I admire the pure skill in hockey and that's why i did not want to add those players who one could also be calling the ''grinders''.

I do admit that some of the players - mostly 90 and 91 borns are on the list because they have experience and would automatically be on the team. I have also added some 94-born and one 95-born player because i think they have the greatest future upside.

I would like to hear everyone's comments about my list and i welcome you to critisize it and change players as much as possible. Maybe i will get to know some new names also. So here we go:

F:
Teemu Hartikainen(90)
Jani Lajunen(90)
Mikael Granlund(92)
Teemu Pulkkinen(92)
Joel Armia(93)
Joonas Donskoi(92)
Miikka Salomäki(93)
Toni Rajala(91)
Teuvo Teräväinen(94)
Markus Granlund(93)
Alexander Ruuttu(93)
Alexander Barkov(95)
Erik Haula(91)
Iiro Pakarinen(91)
D:
Sami Vatanen(91)
Teemu Eronen(90)
Jani Hakanpää(92)
Jyri Niemi(90)
Simo-Pekka Riikola(93)
Olli Määttä(94)
Rasmus Ristolainen(94)
Ville Pokka(94)
G:
Sami Aittokallio(92)
Joni Ortio(91)
Harri Säteri(90)
Christopher Gibson(93)

Old
09-07-2011, 11:39 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
I got to see I am much more excited about the hockey future now than I was 2 years ago. We seem to have some players who if they don't become stars will become solid NHLers.

Old
09-14-2011, 01:32 PM
thomast

Matias pulli 2013 draftee undersized defender 3 goals in his first game on jr. A level, Ikonen had 3 Pts aswell. I wonder if Ikonen manages to put up Better points than Granlund @ jr. A.

Last edited by thomast: 09-14-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old
09-14-2011, 03:55 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Markus pulli 2013 draftee undersized defender 3 goals in his first game on jr. A level, Ikonen had 3 Pts aswell. I wonder if Ikonen manages to put up Better points than Granlund @ jr. A.
It's Matias Pulli.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:01 PM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
It's Matias Pulli.
Yeah Matias my bad.

Old
09-14-2011, 04:14 PM
YARR123

Nice start of the season for some 95's in Jr. A!
Artturi Lehkonen 2+0
Matias Pulli 3+0
Juuso Ikonen 1+2
Alex Barkov Jr. 0+1
Aleksi Ainali 1+2

Wonder where Jonatan Tanus was, he wasn't in the lineup

Old
09-14-2011, 04:31 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Would anybody say that the state of the Finnish development system in 5 years time may mirror (Obviously in relation to the smaller pool) the Swedish system of the last 3-4 years?

Sweden obviously went through a long period of development stagnation and regression, but with well thought out initatives and policies, have managed to reverse the trend and the system is now thriving. Finland has had a similar drought in the past decade to the one Sweden experienced. The previous two drafts were relatively positive and the upcoming 2-3 drafts look particularly promising in relation to the last decade.

Clearly Finland isn't ever likely to produce the numbers and quality Sweden produced in 2009/11 drafts because of the limitations it has in resources compared to Sweden. But are we likely to see drafts such as that in relation to Finland's "maximum" development potential output?

Old
09-15-2011, 06:22 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J17 Vs Proclamation View Post
Would anybody say that the state of the Finnish development system in 5 years time may mirror (Obviously in relation to the smaller pool) the Swedish system of the last 3-4 years?
After just watching some games from TV-pucken (Swedish youth tournament for district teams), I have to say that Sweden is continuing to produce great prospects. They have a lot of depth; most players skate well, can handle and pass the puck, play well as a member of a team and so on. It was staggering how well these 14 and 15 year old kids were playing. Not only were the players highly skilled, the game was faster and more physical than in Finland at this age. Sweden will continue to produce a lot of NHL prospects and some future stars as well.

After a few dry years Finland has started to produce few promising kids almost every year, but otherwise the situation hasn’t improved that much and can’t be compared to the quality of Swedish youth hockey. Compared to Finland Sweden has a lot more teams which are capable of bringing up and training quality prospects. In addition Swedish team sport culture is a lot more developed and helps to support not only hockey, but other sports as well. Genetics might play a small role as well, because you see a lot of tall, lean and athletically talented kids in Swedish hockey.

I have a feeling that some Finnish teams are focusing on wrong things in player development and maybe putting too much emphasis on winning games from an early age onwards. Players should have more freedoms and making mistakes should more often be seen as a possibility to learn. Especially defensemen need to be encouraged to more active role, because the present make no mistakes and give a simple short pass mentality won’t develop them to take initiative when it’s required.

I also think that more should be required from Finnish juniors, so that they’d have a better chance of developing into pro athletes. Many of them aren’t practising enough or aren’t challenged on a regular basis. There are some positive things happening in Finnish hockey, like for example some former pros getting a bit more involved with youth hockey, so maybe the future will be a bit brighter but that remains to be seen. The good thing in Finland is that we quite often learn something from our mistakes and aren’t afraid of searching for better ideas from abroad, so perhaps things will start to change once some of the older opinion leaders withdraw from the game.

Old
09-16-2011, 02:24 AM
CPFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post

I have a feeling that some Finnish teams are focusing on wrong things in player development and maybe putting too much emphasis on winning games from an early age onwards. Players should have more freedoms and making mistakes should more often be seen as a possibility to learn. Especially defensemen need to be encouraged to more active role, because the present make no mistakes and give a simple short pass mentality won’t develop them to take initiative when it’s required.
This is the worst problem. Finnish kids are taught to be afraid of mistakes. Even the younger kids are taught to play it simple and not to use any fancy skills. That kills all the creativity and flow from their playing. Sure, we produce a lot of good 3rd-line grinders that way but having a team full of them isn't really the way to go.

Another big problem is the lack of good coaches at junior lever. I think that the coaches in Sweden, in general, are a lot more supportive and positive than in Finland.

Old
09-16-2011, 08:07 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
Genetics might play a small role as well, because you see a lot of tall, lean and athletically talented kids in Swedish hockey.
I've been wondering this for a while now.

In the last years we've seen lots of skilled prospects coming from the Northern, Eastern and "Savo" parts of this country. At the same time the average size of our top prospects has seen a dramatic decrease. The western and southern clubs haven't been able to produce such skilled prospects, but when they do, they are very often tall.

Maybe we should fix the developmental systems of western, and southern clubs and the size problem would go away. IIRC Easter and northern Finns are only 178cm tall in average while we southern, southwestern and western are in average 182cm. (influence of the Swedish genetic admixture and of course the fact that we are Germanic)

Old
09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
Pajicz

Send a message via Yahoo to Pajicz
So Ristolainen didn't get into TPS' SM-Liiga roster after all... maybe he will be called up later (injuries etc.)?

Had 0+1 in the first game of Nuorten SM-Liiga against K-Vantaa, which TPS won 3-10.

Old
09-16-2011, 11:33 AM
YARR123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajicz View Post
So Ristolainen didn't get into TPS' SM-Liiga roster after all... maybe he will be called up later (injuries etc.)?

Had 0+1 in the first game of Nuorten SM-Liiga against K-Vantaa, which TPS won 3-10.
He's guaranteed to make the roster at some point. There's bound to be injuries and I doubt someone like Palmroth plays the entire season especially when there's Ristolainen waiting for his chance. TPS defense isn't very strong so I'm sure they'll give him a try even without injuries

Old
09-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Fat Doctor

You know, I've started to get a feeling that Teemu Eronen is going to a really good defenseman some day (maybe even on NHL level). He is already 20 years old and a bit small, but he is a great skater and absolutely phenomenal when it comes to positioning and opening passes. This summer he has finally grabbed some strength, pre-season games and the opening game were almost mistake-free. Easily the most underrated player in Jokerit, puts together a great duo with Ossi Väänänen. If only he had a better shot... If I could describe Eronen with only one sentence, it would be 'makes it look so easy'.

Old
09-16-2011, 01:56 PM
ChadS

Eronen is a pretty good choice for Liigapörssi, costs only about 300,000 He's going to score a good amount of points since he gets top pairing minutes and PP-time and he's a really good offensive d-man.

Nice spin-o-rama move yesterday on the blueline and pass to Väänänen who then scored the final goal.

The amount of U20 players in the Sm-liiga opening match line-ups looks really bad, especially for defence men. I think there were like 25 U20's in the Elitserien in their starting line-ups, 8 in the SM-liiga. Then again there are more guys starting in Mestis so that's a good development.

Old
09-16-2011, 03:09 PM
The Saw Is the Law

WJC eligible players who started in SM-liiga:

Donskoi
Salomäki -93
Granlund
Pulkkinen
Paajanen
Armia -93
Kuronen
Hintz

Klingberg, John (SWE)
Volden, Lars (NOR)

WJC eligible, started in Mestis:

Oula Uski
Roope Hämäläinen
Henri Auvinen
Samuli Kankaanperä
Aleksi Salonen
Petteri Halinen
Oula Palve
Simon Suoranta
Julius Nyqvist
Eetu Koski
Mikael Salmivirta
Micke Åsten
Jesse Koskinen -93
Joonas Valkonen -93
Markus Västilä
Niko Karhu -93
Patrik Moisio

Old
09-16-2011, 05:25 PM
YARR123

Ville Pokka
Rasmus Ristolainen
Alexander Barkov Jr.
Teuvo Teräväinen
Alexander Ruuttu
Jani Hakanpää

Players I think could've/should've started in the lineups
Especially Jani Hakanpää, Ville Pokka and Rasmus Ristolainen. Hakanpää really needs to get a solid season with the mens team, and instead of letting him play he's replaced by soft midget Laakso

It's kind of frustrating really

Old
09-16-2011, 06:41 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

I think we need a new liiiiistttt.....

Old
09-16-2011, 07:07 PM
bebl

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
Ville Pokka
Rasmus Ristolainen
Alexander Barkov Jr.
Teuvo Teräväinen
Alexander Ruuttu
Jani Hakanpää

Players I think could've/should've started in the lineups
Especially Jani Hakanpää, Ville Pokka and Rasmus Ristolainen. Hakanpää really needs to get a solid season with the mens team, and instead of letting him play he's replaced by soft midget Laakso

It's kind of frustrating really
Agree. Also Ma.Granlund got injury and he missed season opener.

Old
09-16-2011, 08:57 PM
cheerupmurray

Sounds a bit crazy that genetic should play a part in how good prospects a country could develop Looking in to it it seems like the swedish male average height is 1,81 cm (5'11'' 1/2) and the finnish average height is 1,78 cm (5'10'').

Guess it's unlikely that Indonesia would ever develop any power forwards since their average height is 1,58 cm (5'2'') .

Old
09-17-2011, 04:02 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Sounds a bit crazy that genetic should play a part in how good prospects a country could develop Looking in to it it seems like the swedish male average height is 1,81 cm (5'11'' 1/2) and the finnish average height is 1,78 cm (5'10'').

Guess it's unlikely that Indonesia would ever develop any power forwards since their average height is 1,58 cm (5'2'') .
Your saying that with 1,81 im taller than average? Haha, **** those shorties

Looks like we're cathing up, in this research that searched the height of 20-30 years old youngsters its even with Sweden http://forums.interbasket.net/f10/av...-updated-9287/

Old
09-17-2011, 04:35 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post

The median heights would probably be crazy in Finland since there are more people who are insanely tall in Finland, but also much more people who are far below the average compared to sweden. Sweden must be the country where the highest percentage of the people are close to the average height.

Closed Thread