HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Finland

Finnish Top Prospects ( In Future)

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
_vivelequebec_

vCash: 500
Do finish hockey gonna produce talent such as Koivu, Selanne, Jokinen, Pitkanen, etc. for next 10-15 years? Because I look at last 2-3 drafts and finish hockey seems sick...

Old
07-18-2008, 02:38 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by _vivelequebec_ View Post
Do finish hockey gonna produce talent such as Koivu, Selanne, Jokinen, Pitkanen, etc. for next 10-15 years? Because I look at last 2-3 drafts and finish hockey seems sick...
Hopefully Finland produces even better players.

Pulkkinen, Rajala, Granlunds etc. look very promising. I don't think the national team will have problems filling up the offensive positions nor goal. And we'll likely always have a couple of good puckmovers at D, but the biggest lack looks to be the stay-at-home defensemen.

Old
07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
fashi13

Osala and Lepisto look real promissing for the Caps. Osala was the Rookie of the year for Finnish top league and reminds me of Holmstrom, but more physical, better skater and shot as a youngster. Lepisto was great in the AHL last year.

Old
07-18-2008, 07:22 PM
korben*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashi13 View Post
Osala and Lepisto look real promissing for the Caps. Osala was the Rookie of the year for Finnish top league and reminds me of Holmstrom, but more physical, better skater and shot as a youngster. Lepisto was great in the AHL last year.
You are going to Lepistö. He is Caps 4th D
Or even 3rd. Of Osala I don´t know. He is either solid 4th liner or damn good 2nd liner. Or anything between. Might end up with 50 or so NHL matches and back to Finland. Thanks to his skating. That is not NHL level. He has all other tools. But that skating....

Old
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
korben*

Quote:
Originally Posted by _vivelequebec_ View Post
Rajala, Pulkkinen, Granlund , Manelius... we have some coming.
At least two of those four are going to be future of finnish hockey.
Stars like Sundin and/or Selänne. I know where my bet is!

Old
08-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Tony Rae and Moses Mustonen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifk88 View Post
I decided to predict our roster for the next years U18 WJC which are held in Canada. Good thing to waste my time ecpecially now when we are out of the medal games "again". and i'm also kinda thrilled about our -91 age group.
I realize this is a bit of an old post but since you mentioned two players I thought fairly highly of at their Pohjola camp that year - one of whom was subsequently picked for the national team (Mustonen) and one who wasn't (Rae) - I thought you could give me some information as to their progress.

I notice that neither was named to the current roster for the upcoming U-18 tournament in Tsekki.

Old
08-17-2008, 04:41 PM
hifk88

I did the latest finnish prospects list about 3 years ago and now i have done some research all over the internet about a year now so it's time to update you guys a bit and give some new names to look forward in the future. Not saying any of these will be superstars or anything, but at least it's good to know there are some pretty good prospects/youngsters coming out from Finland's Nuori Suomi system (especially in the forward position).

(NOTICE: haven't seen most of these players, just trying to give some new names for all of you so you can go watch them for yourself. Peace.)

Mikael Granlund, Kärpät A (CE)
Joonas Donskoi, Kärpät A (CE)
Teemu Pulkkinen, Jokerit A (FW)
Petteri Halinen Blues A (FW)
Joel Mustonen, Skellefteå IK SWE Jr.18/20 (FW)
Johannes Lehto, TuTo A/B (FW)
Eetu Koski, Lukko A/B (CE)
Roope Hämäläinen, SaiPa A/B (FW)
Mikael Kuronen, Ilves B/A (FW)
Tomi Iso-Mustajärvi, Ilves B/A (FW)
Riku Väkiparta, Lukko B/A (D)
Ville Kolppanen, Ilves B/A (G)

Jesper Kokkonen, Ilves B (FW)
Sami Salminen, HIFK B (FW)
Miikka Salomäki, ?????? (FW)
Markus Granlund, Kärpät C/B (FW)
Tomi Wilenius, Ilves B (FW)
Joel Armia, Ässät B (FW)
Jesse Huhtala, Ässät B (FW)
Aleksi Niemitalo, Kärpät B (CE)
Ville Järveläinen, HPK B (CE)
Aleksi Rekonen, Jokerit C/B (FW)
Santeri Arousva, Ässät B (D)
Niklas Nevalainen, Ässät B (D)
Henri Allen, HPK B (D)

Niko Friman, Jokerit C (FW)
Miro Saarelainen, HIFK C (FW)
Ville Koskela, HIFK C (FW)
Saku Salminen, HIFK C (FW)
Kalle Torniainen, Djurgårdens IF, SWE U-16 (FW)
Rasmus Hämäläinen, Saipa C (FW)
Samu Pulli, Saipa C (D)
Jesse Paukku, Jokipojat C (FW)
Juuso Rämö, Tappara C (FW)
Henrik Haapala, Tappara C-94 (FW)
Joni Pekkala, HPK C (FW)
Oskari Lehtinen, TPS C (FW)
Niklas Tikkinen, Blues C (FW)

1995 (I added 95's also, because there were so many players who needed to be mentioned...)
Niklas Lehtimäki, Ässät C (FW)
Jonatan Tanus, Tappara C-94 (FW)
Oskari Ojanen, Tappara C-95/94 (FW)
Robin Kokkonen, Flemingsberg IK, SWE 95 (FW)
Eetu Koivistoinen, Jokerit C-94 (FW)
Mikael Vihriälä, Tappara C-95/94 (FW)
Sasha Barkov, Tappara C-95/94 (FW)
Saku Kinunnen, KuKi-HT C-94 (FW)
Erik Linnemäki, Ässät C-94 (FW)
Joose Antonen, Ilves C-94 (FW)
Artturi Lehkonen, TPS C-94 (FW)
Aleksi Mustonen, Jokerit C-94 (FW)
Alex Lintuniemi, HIFK C-94 (D)

Last edited by hifk88: 03-06-2009 at 02:39 AM.
Old
08-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

What's so good about the -95's

Wow I can't believe 1995 is already being a talked about... I'm 8 years older than these players =\ Seems like just yesterday people my age were getting taken.

EDIT: You could make the 1991's too

Last edited by Granlund2Pulkkinen*: 08-25-2008 at 04:28 PM.
Old
08-25-2008, 05:10 PM
SChan*

Finnish hockey look very bright imo. Right in time for selanne and koivu to retire.

Old
08-26-2008, 12:01 AM
Tony Piscotta
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifk88 View Post
I did the latest finnish prospects list about 3 years ago and now i have done some research all over the internet about a year now so it's time to update you guys a bit and give some new names to look forward in the future. Not saying any of these will be superstars or anything, but at least it's good to know there are some pretty good prospects/youngsters coming out from Finland's Nuori Suomi system (especially in the forward position).
Seems like you've taken quite a bit of time on this - but it seems like central Finland, especially Lahti, Kuopio, Kajaani, Jyvaskyla and even Joensuu area are under-represented on this list. Or are these players already in the bigger clubs - even at C juniors?

Old
08-26-2008, 02:46 AM
ES

I had a look on the list.

Oskari Ojanen is son of Janne isn't he? And Henri Allen, is he son of Marko (who was also part of 1987 WJC winning team)?

Any other relations to former or current players there?

Old
08-29-2008, 12:05 PM
korben*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES View Post
Oskari Ojanen is son of Janne isn't he? And Henri Allen, is he son of Marko
Yes & Yes

Old
08-30-2008, 04:23 AM
mattihp

Hopefully Oskari has the same kind of skillset as his father...

Old
08-30-2008, 05:24 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Hopefully Oskari has the same kind of skillset as his father...
And is a better skater...

Old
09-01-2008, 01:50 PM
Tormentor

I've seen some exhibition/practice games here in Oulu and I thought that it would be a good time to share some of my observations(I apologize in advance for my English that is even rustier than usual after the brake I had during the summer):

30th of August: Kärpät jrA - Jyp jrA (2-2)
Mikael Granlund and Joonas Donskoi played together on the 4th line for Kärpät, Granlund played center and Donskoi played left wing (same positions as last season), although Donskoi took a few offensive zone face-offs. Both players received icetime on PP- and SH-game, and their icetime increased towards the end of the game.

The only notable change in Granlund's game was the fact that he forechecked a lot more than previously and tried to force turnovers deep in the offensive zone. This is a radical change compared to the center position game that he played last season in Kärpät and the probable reason to this is his new coach. Naturally juniorA players are bigger than juniorB players, so Granlund's reach wasn't enough in some of the one-on-one situations, but in general he played on a good level and has already adapted to juniorA hockey very well.

Donskoi has gained strength during the summer, so he wasn't pushed away from the puck as easily as before, but there are still some things in his game that need improvement before it can be said that he has adapted to juniorA hockey. Opponent's strong backchecking really bothered him and he wasn't able to effectively make his usual moves with the puck on the open ice. Also at the start of the game he was struggling with the high tempo, especially when his team was playing defense, but his game improved a lot towards the end of the game. All in all the improvement in his overall game during the match left me with a good impression and I have a feeling that Donskoi just needs more games and expierience to master juniorA level.

I was also hoping to see Sami Vatanen, but Janne Kumpulainen was the only 91born player in JYP. Kumpulainen played wing and showed good movement and skill, but didn't receive too much ice time.

15th of August: Kärpät jrB - Kalpa jrB (7-3)
93born center Aleksi Niemitalo played well in this game and was brought up to center the 1st line during the game. It seems that Aleksi will receive icetime on the two top lines next season and will probably fetch good points in jrB.

Goalie Tuomas Saarela who won the juniorC championship last season as a playing goaltender for Kärpät is the other 93born player in Kärpät jrB team this season. If Härmä has moved to another organization as it now seems, Saarela might get quite a lot of games and might surprise many followers. I think that he has almost as much talent as Härmä does. One thing we have to remember is that Saarela is born in September and if he manages to attain the starting goalie job; it will be a even greater achievement compared to Härmä last season, who is born in January.

16-17th of August: Stockmann tournament for jrC
Jokerit won the both events (93born and 94born), so it's fairly safe to say that they will continue to be a major force in Finnish junior hockey in the coming years. Unfortunately the tournament publication didn't have the names and numbers of Jokerit 93-Team, so I can't give any insights of their players.

Here's some thoughts of four players from Kärpät 93team that I followed in the games that I was able to attend:

Mikko Tauriainen: The only 94born player in Kärpät 93team. Has played center before, but was moved to play wing during this summer/autumn. Not especially strong in any areas of the game at the moment, but with the combination of many different skills he manages to play on a good level with the older players.

Arttu Heikkinen: Big and strong center with a good wrist shot. Fairly good skater and has surprisingly good hands for a guy of his size. Needs to participate to the game more and occasionally his concentration ain't at the required level. Reminds me a bit of another big forward from Kainuu: Joonas Kemppainen.

Markus Granlund: Very good skills, good offensive vision, lots of flair. Skating not as powerful as his older brother and needs a lot more strength. Needs to be defensively more responsible.

Jere Tihinen: Probably the only defender worth mentioning in Kärpät juniors, besides 91born Risto Mattila now that Sami Suorsa has moved to HIFK. Tihinen is a very good skater and has pretty good skills and vision. The downside is that he's quite small as many other promising Kärpät players are.

Random:
Apparently Miikka Salomäki has moved to Laser HT juniorB-team. Surprising decision, because the team has only three 60minute ice-times per week, so one can question the sense in this decision. My opinion is that Miikka would really have needed good coaching and plenty of ice to fix the weaknesses in his game.

To hifk88:
Ismo Lehkonen's 95born son Artturi Lehkonen played for TuTo-C93 last season. Haven't seen him play, but might be a player worth of adding to your list?

Last edited by Tormentor: 09-01-2008 at 02:05 PM.
Old
09-05-2008, 01:23 PM
Tormentor

Tommi Kivistö

A week old article about Kivistö in Red Deer: http://www.albertalocalnews.com/redd...th_Rebels.html
He’s very skilled. He skates well, moves the puck well and he’s got a big shot from the point,” said assistant coach Dallas Gaume. “That’s something that we desperately needed here — someone who could play our power play and someone with a hard shot from the blueline. We’ll be looking for him to fill that role for us."

Ivan Hlinka scouting report: http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...to-Cehlin.html
“He sees the ice very well and always seemed to make a great first pass while playing a real steady defensive game,” Bowman noted. (Team USA’s Collin Bowman of the Kelowna Rockets)

2009 NHL draft top 15 rankings from the front page of International Scouting Services website: http://isshockey.com/
1. John Tavares
2. Victor Hedman
3. Magnus Svensson-Pääjärvi
4. Matt Duchene
5. Brayden Schenn
6. Jared Cowen
7. Jordan Schroeder
8: Richard Panik
9. Nazem Kadri
10. Toni Rajala
11. Jeremy Morin
12. Anton Lander
13. Drew Shore
14. Tommi Kivistö
15. Tomas Vincour

I'm a bit surprised how highly valued Kivistö is at the moment, but perhaps it's time to accept the fact that Kivistö might be the first Finn taken next summer? Of course a lot depends on his performance in NA, but he might be a safer pick compared to for example Rajala whose height is a big question mark for many GM's.

Last edited by Tormentor: 09-05-2008 at 02:26 PM.
Old
09-06-2008, 12:02 PM
Tormentor

I saw last season's Pohlola camp "most skilled player"-award winner Miro Aaltonen from JoKP today while his team beat Kärpät 6-5 in JrC qualifications. Poised, determined and of course skilled center with good wheels and some unpredictable moves and passes. I was pretty impressed.

Another player that stood out from JoKP was Aaltonen's linemate 94born right winger Jesse Paukku. Clearly stronger than Kärpät's top 94born forward Mikko Tauriainen in this game and had no problems keeping up with Aaltonen's pace. Strong skater and always looking for open spaces and scoring chances, clearly a sniper type whereas Aaltonen was a bit more of a playmaker.

Old
09-10-2008, 04:16 PM
Korkki

Ässät's Santeri Arousva (-93) attended in U17 roller blading world championships and made a Finnish record on 200m, but did not succeed with it. He was 28th (OK, 2 years underaged). I knew he is quite good skater and this is very good achievement though it was not in the ice.

Old
09-10-2008, 07:06 PM
Tormentor

TSN's Top 2009 Draft Prospects (released today)

LINK1: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=4844
LINK2: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=2490...s=topStory_nhl

Players receiving Top 10 votes:
1. Victor Hedman, Defence (96 votes)
2. John Tavares, Forward (93 votes)
3. Jared Cowen, Defence (73 votes)
4. Matt Duchene, Forward (68 votes)
5. Brayden Schenn, Forward (60 votes)
6. Magnus Svensson-Paajarvi, Forward (57 votes)
7. Nazem Kadri, Forward (30 votes)
8. Jordan Schroeder, Forward (22 votes)
9. Evander Kane, Forward (14 votes)
10. Louis Leblanc, Forward (10 votes)

11 players, outside of TSN's consensus top 10, received at least one vote in the top 10.

Tommi Kivistö was just outside the top 10, picking up seven points with two other players. -> Kivistö was tied 11th with two other players. Kivistö was also the only Finn that received a vote in the top10.

There was also another five prospects that received some honorable mentions from the scouts but did not receive a top-10 vote. These players didn't include any Finns.

-> Kivistö was the only Finn mentioned among the 26 players.

Old
09-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Korkki

Rajala should regularly play in the SM-liiga next season to be drafted high, but his coach does not trust young players. So his stock is dropping. Kivistö will play in Canada and that's why he is rising.

Old
09-11-2008, 05:50 AM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korkki View Post
Rajala should regularly play in the SM-liiga next season to be drafted high, but his coach does not trust young players. So his stock is dropping.
That's true, but I believe that the biggest reason why Rajala's stock is dropping at the moment is the somewhat mediocre performance in the Hlinka Memorial Tournament a month ago. Scouts often put too much value on performance in a single tournament. Luckily Rajala still has a chance to turn their heads in the U18 World Championships next April. Another tournament that is extremely important and overvalued by many scouts and GM's.

Quote:
Kivistö will play in Canada and that's why he is rising.
I agree, but if his performance there isn't on par with the expectations, his stock will also drop rapidly.

Last edited by Tormentor: 09-11-2008 at 08:38 AM.
Old
09-11-2008, 07:53 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormentor View Post
That's true, but I believe that the biggest reason why Rajala's stock is dropping at the moment is the somewhat mediocre performance in the Hlinka Memorial Tournament a month ago.
Since Pääjärvi outclassed everyone, including Schenn (and still was voted behind him) I am not sure how much stock scouts took in Hlinka.

Old
09-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Joretus

Quote:
Rajala should regularly play in the SM-liiga next season to be drafted high, but his coach does not trust young players. So his stock is dropping. Kivistö will play in Canada and that's why he is rising.
I do agree reasons. As addition Ivan Hlinka Tournament, while playing injured...

But as you did say it's mostly about NA biased rankings. In reality they aren't even in same ballpark when it comes down to potential. That said Kivistö might be very good D in the future, but ranking him above Rajala is just joke, quite big even.

Old
09-11-2008, 10:44 AM
korxi

I saw Rajala first time in U-18 Finnkampen and to me he didint show anything special, but neither did others in Finlands 2-7 loss to Sweden. Rajala seemed pretty fast in skating competition, at least he was faster than the swedish competitor. Generally Swedes were clearly bigger than Finns.

I was more impressed with Granlund, he´s got a bit of same feistiness as Saku Koivu. Anyway it was only a one game.

Old
09-11-2008, 01:41 PM
Tormentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by korxi View Post
Thank you, it's always nice to read comments and observations that actually are from a real game.

Off-Topic: Updated rosters from finhockey.fi show that Riku Härmä has moved to JYP.

Closed Thread