HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Garrioch speculates -- In light of Havlat injury

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2005, 05:25 PM
brucegarrioch

vCash: 500
Garrioch speculates -- In light of Havlat injury

Quote:
Can the recently recalled Brandon Bochenski, who scored a hat trick and added an assist against Florida on Monday, handle the job on a full-time basis while Havlat heals?
This is the immediate direction of the Senators. Ottawa will look to fill Havlat's position from within, and if that fails, they'll look at making a move. However, it's arguable that Ottawa makes a move before the trade deadline whether Havlat is injured or not.

If Bochenski fails, Garrioch suggests the following:

Quote:
Indications have the Canucks listening to offers for winger Todd Bertuzzi, who has two years at $5.2 million per season left on his deal. Although Bertuzzi hasn't been playing as well as he has in the past, there's no question he's among the elite power forwards when he's at his best. Following the Steve Moore incident and subsequent suspension, a change of scenery could be just what he needs.

Former Leafs winger Owen Nolan is a possibility. He is waiting to get his contract dispute with Toronto settled, but is getting ready to make a comeback. Nolan has been working out in Cali-fornia, is in good shape and would be a force in the playoffs -- especially if the Senators face the Leafs. Ottawa, however, will have plenty of competition once Nolan is cleared to play. The Sharks and Flames are both ready to make a pitch.

The Flames would like to move centre Steven Reinprecht, but that kind of deal would only happen if the Senators decided to move Fisher to the wing.

Moving Fisher out of the middle spot would also allow the Senators to take a serious look at St. Louis centre Doug Weight. He would be a legitimate scoring force in the playoffs and might take some of the pressure off the big line of Dany Heatley, Jason Spezza and Daniel Alfredsson.
How likely are any of these scenarios, and what could each player command in the trade market?

Source: http://ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnis...8/1343445.html

Old
12-08-2005, 05:40 PM
PECAhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
This is the immediate direction of the Senators. Ottawa will look to fill Havlat's position from within, and if that fails, they'll look at making a move. However, it's arguable that Ottawa makes a move before the trade deadline whether Havlat is injured or not.

If Bochenski fails, Garrioch suggests the following:

How likely are any of these scenarios, and what could each player command in the trade market?

Source: http://ottawasun.com/Sports/Columnis...8/1343445.html

Ottawa doesn't need to do anything! They have won 21 out of 25 games thus far. There's 57 games remaining for Ottawa. Even if they go 30W and 27L they still finish with over 100 pnts. And honestly, I don't think there is a way in hell that Ottawa will do so poorly because of the loss of Havlat.

Ottawa has won plenty without Havlat before, and they will do so easily now. Now, I'm not suggesting that the Sens won't make a trade. They may very well do so. But, I'd imagine the trade would be more focused on adding final pieces for a cup run rather than filling Havlat's spot.

Old
12-08-2005, 05:42 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Bertuzzi to Ottawa isn't feasible, as the Senators don't have the cap room and will need to re-sign most of Chara, Redden, Havlat (might sign cheap b/c of injuries?), and Spezza. Havlat's injury, coupled with the salary dump of Smolinski and Varada, may provide Ottawa with enough room to sign its all four of its core players. Ofcourse, I am being OVERLY optimistic.

It is still possible for Ottawa to acquire Bertuzzi for something like Phillips (relatively cheap top 3 defenceman) and Varada, but it doesn't make sense to take away a key d-man from arguably the best defensive corp in the NHL.

Owen Nolan should be paid to stay away from the Ottawa Senators.

Reinprect doesn't really help in secondary scoring. All these points are made if Bochenksi fails (and is subsequently sent down as he is only effective as a scorer). In that case, what's the point of having Reinprect centering Varada and Smolinski - who is the same sort of player as Reinprect?

Moving Fisher on the LW, an idea that I was a strong proponent of in the Senators board, and obtaining Doug Weight (for prospects + picks) would make the 2nd line look something like this:

Fisher-Weight-Varada.

I don't quite see the benefit of having this line at this point of time. Rather, a deal for Weight at the trade deadline is ideal, as hopefully Havlat will be back soon after to form:

Fisher-Weight-Havlat

Now that's a killer 2nd line.

I think Muckler will "Weight" until sometimes in late February/early March to pull the trigger. Ofcourse, it all depends on how the team performs over the next few months.

Old
12-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Don Draper

Does anyone remember when Office Glen used to take every Garrioch Rumour Mill and just blast it to smitherines? The good ol days

Old
12-08-2005, 05:47 PM
IdiotsPickedMyName*

My first thought upon seeing this thread was "Not Again" after reading his comments its now more of a

Old
12-08-2005, 06:04 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG
How likely are any of these scenarios?
Not very likely. Ottawa has still averaged 4.22 goals in the 9 games that Havlat has missed... which is still good for 1st place in the league (2nd place Col has 3.82/GP).

Old
12-08-2005, 06:08 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Reinprecht is arguably better on LW actually. Just thought I'd throw that in.

Old
12-08-2005, 06:14 PM
SlapnutsV1

Do the Flames really want to move Reinpecht, or is Garrioch blowing smoke?

Old
12-08-2005, 06:16 PM
Redden Punches Faces*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_of_66
No no, Garrioch blows cheese whiz, not smoke.

Old
12-08-2005, 06:40 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

eh...how about Sykora to fill Havlat's spot for a while?

To Anaheim: 2nd rd pick

To Ottawa: Sykora

Old
12-08-2005, 07:27 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDonald19
eh...how about Sykora to fill Havlat's spot for a while?

To Anaheim: 2nd rd pick

To Ottawa: Sykora
I think there might be some interest from a Sens point of view...perhaps a 3rd round pick might be more appropriate.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:31 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
I'd be interested in Sykora. He can't carry a line like Havlat but he would certainly help provide some secondary scoring. Also, he's proven to be quite productive in the playoffs.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:33 PM
Hanson Brothers

FWIW: Sykora a healthy scratch today...

Old
12-08-2005, 08:33 PM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
If Bertuzzi and/or Nolan become Senators players...I'm becoming a Leafs fan.

Neither one of these guys is the solution to any of the potential issues we have. Especially Nolan...he's far too slow to play now.

My issues with Bertuzzi are that I don't respect him as a player after that crap he pulled and almost killed someone...

Quite frankly...I'll take Neils 9 goals so far this season at $500 000 over Bertuzzi's 8 goals at $5 000 000.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havlat9
I think there might be some interest from a Sens point of view...perhaps a 3rd round pick might be more appropriate.
for over 3 million a season on Sykora...the Duckie's will be lucky to get a 4th for him.

But then again...what do I know.

What was it again...? we got a 4th for Bonk and a 4th for Lalime?

Old
12-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
If Bertuzzi and/or Nolan become Senators players...I'm becoming a Leafs fan.
I love quotes like this. Everyone hates Bertuzzi when he's not on their team, but the second he's putting up points and helping their team win, they'll change their mind.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:50 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin
I love quotes like this. Everyone hates Bertuzzi when he's not on their team, but the second he's putting up points and helping their team win, they'll change their mind.
Oh no...not at all...well for me personally.

I may not put on a Leafs jersey....but I can tell you this. I'll be counting the days till he becomes a UFA and screws off or gets traded away.

I just don't respect the player.

As a case and point...I HATED Varada...but I respected him as a player. He had a role and he did it very well...no matter how irritating it was.

As well...I really dislike Tucker and McCabe...but I respect them as hockey players.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
richardn

Why not get Owen Nolan. I am sure he would be motivated to play against the Leafs. He is an excellent 2nd line RW Bochenski can fill in there till Nolan is ready to play. With Havlat done for the season that opens up some cap space for Ottawa. Picking up Nolan would mean they wouldn't have to make a trade to bring in a hired gun. I honestly think Nolan is the perfect fit.

Old
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
trentmccleary

Quote:
3 million a season on Sykora
Havlat only makes 2.6M, I don't believe that Sykora can be used as the injury replacement for cap purposes. So even if he were an improvement on either Bochenski or Eaves... which it's not certain that he is... no thanks.

Old
12-08-2005, 09:00 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardn
Why not get Owen Nolan. I am sure he would be motivated to play against the Leafs. He is an excellent 2nd line RW Bochenski can fill in there till Nolan is ready to play. With Havlat done for the season that opens up some cap space for Ottawa. Picking up Nolan would mean they wouldn't have to make a trade to bring in a hired gun. I honestly think Nolan is the perfect fit.
5 years ago...sure. Not today. Last time I saw him play he was already brocken down and slow.

In the "New NHL"...he'd make the likes of Allison look like a speedster.

Old
12-08-2005, 09:02 PM
SensGod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary
Havlat only makes 2.6M, I don't believe that Sykora can be used as the injury replacement for cap purposes. So even if he were an improvement on either Bochenski or Eaves... which it's not certain that he is... no thanks.
If I'm not mistaken...we can float both of them at the same time.

Anyone know what Sykora's contract status is? Is he a UFA in the summer?

Old
12-08-2005, 09:06 PM
The Hamburglar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGod
If I'm not mistaken...we can float both of them at the same time.

Anyone know what Sykora's contract status is? Is he a UFA in the summer?
He is a UFA in the summer but...

Bochenski - 5 goals (11 points) in 13 games

Sykora - 4 goals (11 points) in 23 games

Not worth it IMO.

Old
12-08-2005, 09:39 PM
Kritty

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani
Reinprect doesn't really help in secondary scoring. All these points are made if Bochenksi fails (and is subsequently sent down as he is only effective as a scorer). In that case, what's the point of having Reinprect centering Varada and Smolinski - who is the same sort of player as Reinprect?
Reinprecht and Smolinski are not the same type of player. Reinprecht has far more speed and far superior offensive abilities. He is a definite top 6 forward, Smolinski is not.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Flames Draft Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan_of_66
Wouldn't surprise me. He's been a bit inconsistent this year, not as good as last season when he was injured for the whole year. Perhaps Huselius will supplant him. He is UFA at the end of the year.

We'd probably have to get a forward with some skill back.

Old
12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
I'm pretty sure they'll run with Bochenski for a while. If he keeps playing the way he has the past couple games, he should fill his shoes. He definately does not have near the skill level of Havlat, but he's seemingly playing MUCH better than usual. Muckler won't make a deal until the deadline. I fully expect Weight though when the time comes, and Fisher moving to the wing probably. A line of Fisher-Weight-Havlat would be incredible for a 2nd line.

Closed Thread