HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Sean Burke Trade Rumours from Spector's Hockey

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 11:05 PM
CoyoteBaloney

vCash: 500
Sean Burke Trade Rumours from Spector's Hockey

FLYERS TO GO GOALIE-SHOPPING?

ESPN.COM: Al Morganti suggests the Philadelphia Flyers will be in the market for a goaltending upgrade, rather than pin their hopes to Jeff Hackett and Robert Esche. Morgantia believe the Flyers may have interest in Phoenix's Sean Burke and Detroit's Curtis Joseph, even suggesting Philly GM Bob Clarke might offer up winger John LeClair for CuJo.

Spector's Note: First of all, the Wings are looking for depth at centre, not on the wing. Second, they won't be interested in an ailing, over-priced LeClair. Third, the Flyers are commmitted to Hackett and Esche. Both would have to be sidelined before they'll consider jumping into the trade market for another.

and

- It's believed Colorado Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix has contacted his counterparts in Tampa Bay and Phoenix regarding netminder Nikolai Khabibulin and Sean Burke respectively.

Spector's Note: One shouldn't rule out that possibility, but I doubt Lacroix will make any moves to upgrade his goaltending just yet. He'll give David Aebischer the first two months of the season to see how the kid pans out.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:56 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
The usual choices ... There's many ''not proven yet'' or '''can get the job done'' goalie around and the goalie market is suffering .

Old
10-15-2003, 01:57 AM
Adityase

Send a message via AIM to Adityase
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteTony
FLYERS TO GO GOALIE-SHOPPING?

ESPN.COM: Al Morganti suggests the Philadelphia Flyers will be in the market for a goaltending upgrade, rather than pin their hopes to Jeff Hackett and Robert Esche. Morgantia believe the Flyers may have interest in Phoenix's Sean Burke and Detroit's Curtis Joseph, even suggesting Philly GM Bob Clarke might offer up winger John LeClair for CuJo.

Spector's Note: First of all, the Wings are looking for depth at centre, not on the wing. Second, they won't be interested in an ailing, over-priced LeClair. Third, the Flyers are commmitted to Hackett and Esche. Both would have to be sidelined before they'll consider jumping into the trade market for another.

and

- It's believed Colorado Avalanche GM Pierre Lacroix has contacted his counterparts in Tampa Bay and Phoenix regarding netminder Nikolai Khabibulin and Sean Burke respectively.

Spector's Note: One shouldn't rule out that possibility, but I doubt Lacroix will make any moves to upgrade his goaltending just yet. He'll give David Aebischer the first two months of the season to see how the kid pans out.

In regards to the first, I can see the Wings doing Cujo for Primeau, but that's about it.

As for the second, well I drafted Khabibulin, Kolzing, and Nabokov for my fantasy team because I figured one of them would end up on the Avs. Plus after Colorado's dismal start last year, I think they might even allow Abby a few more growing pains for a few months.

Old
10-15-2003, 02:27 AM
JCD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase
In regards to the first, I can see the Wings doing Cujo for Primeau, but that's about it.

I can't see the Flyers doing that though. Primeau is overpaid, but still contributes.

CuJo is the highest paid back-up in NHL history and survived the waiver draft. If he goes, it will be for a mutual dump. Flyers are not looking to dump Primeau.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:04 AM
Timmy1973

Didn't I just see Wayne Gretzky saying that they wouldn't trade their best player unless the Coyotes got an offer that blew their socks off? The same probably holds true for Khabibulin in the fact that he won't be traded unless there is an excellent return. Is Colorado prepared to part with what would be necessary to land Nikolai?

Old
10-15-2003, 03:13 AM
Dr Love

Another year, another "Flyers in market for goalie" rumor. And wasn't it Morganti who said that Hackett was the man for the Flyers?

Old
10-15-2003, 03:29 AM
Steve L*

Let me get this straight

The Flyers sign an UFA goalie.
He plays one game and gets a shutout.
Then Morganti thinks they are in the market for another goalie?

Talk about clueless.

Old
10-15-2003, 04:42 AM
btmarshall

vCash:
Morganti is both an ascerbic curmudgeon, and a rumor monger who is as guilty as any in the press of making up rumors wholesale, when there is otherwise little to discuss.

This is probably mere speculation right now. Hackett should continue to be the main guy unless he gets injured again, or unless he gets beat out for playing time by his precocious colleague Esche.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Frenzy1

There is not doubt in my mind that the Aves have place calls to both Tampa Bay and Phoenix. It is, afterall, the GMs job to find out who is available and for what.

However, I also have no doubt that Lacroix was told by both GMs what that either the player wasn't available or would cost then way to much to get.

BTW, what exactly do the Aves have to trade? Tangay???

And would Tangay/whoever help the other team win more games then either Burke of the Wall? Answer is NO.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:04 AM
Green Mile

Here's the exact quote from Morganti, from October 7th:

Quote:
6. The goalie hunt will start very early with the Philadelphia Flyers, who are depending on Robert Esche and Jeff Hackett. The Flyers will be tempted by Sean Burke of the Phoenix Coyotes, and especially Curtis Joseph of the Detroit Red Wings. Don't be surprised when a deal is discussed sending John LeClair to the Wings in exchange for Joseph.
...sigh

Old
10-15-2003, 06:19 AM
CoyoteBaloney

Morganti was right about the Flyers signing Hackett. Why can't he be right about their disappointment in Hackett now?

Makes one wonder what Hackett has done to tick-off/disappoint Clarke.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:30 AM
Dr Love

Quote:
Morganti was right about the Flyers signing Hackett. Why can't he be right about their disappointment in Hackett now?

Certainly it wasn't an opening night shutout. Morganti doesn't know what he is talking about. He truly doesn't. I learn more about what's going on throughout the league reading posts here than listening to Morganti on any given day on the morning show on WIP, where he is the definition of boring, or any of his columns or reports. He was saying Hackett is the man all along, and now he's saying he's not. Hackett hasn't done anything at this point in a newborn season to dissapoint. He shut up his critics (myself included) for a little while with a shutout in a close game. But it's a new season so it's time for the new goalie rumors to start up. The little "inside" info that Morganti has is only because he is a reporter and thus he has access to people the rest of us don't. His hockey knowledge and reporting though, are horrible, as he rehashes story after story or relays second hand information. Perhaps the Flyers will find themselves in the market for a goalie. But not at this point in the season.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:43 AM
weissfan9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adityase
Please no, I'd be happy with picks.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:48 AM
JCD

Quote:

Morganti was right about Hackett. Just 4 years too early. He has been saying the Flyers were going to trade for Hackett since 1999.

Maybe he will be right again. In 2007, Flyers will opt for Burke.

This doesn't make anyone wonder anything about Hackett. Just wonder what kind of saps still thinks Morganti has any 'inside information' to share when he spouts these rumors.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:07 AM
Coffey77

Primeau wouldn't want to go back to Detroit so that's doubtful. Primeau hated being in Detroit because of the high expectations. I think he still refuses to talk to Detroit media.

Wings will be lucky to get anything for Cujo. Although I don't want LeClair either. His contract is even more silly.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:42 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Circle the Bandwagon

Quote:
This doesn't make anyone wonder anything about Hackett. Just wonder what kind of saps still thinks Morganti has any 'inside information' to share when he spouts these rumors.
When I read that clip I saw more of a predicition on Morganti's part rather than a real "rumor".

I think there is a very good chance that the Flyers won't be happy with Hackett and will be looking to make a move in net.

Even more likely is that Hackett plays OK and then injures himself trying to cover up a loose puck causing Clarke to have to make a deal.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:12 AM
Timmy1973

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzy1
There is not doubt in my mind that the Aves have place calls to both Tampa Bay and Phoenix. It is, afterall, the GMs job to find out who is available and for what.

However, I also have no doubt that Lacroix was told by both GMs what that either the player wasn't available or would cost then way to much to get.

BTW, what exactly do the Aves have to trade? Tangay???

And would Tangay/whoever help the other team win more games then either Burke of the Wall? Answer is NO.
Pierre did call Jay Feaster in Tampa, but it was only a very preliminary talk. I think it was just a basic inquiry to see if there would be the possibility of a trade and the likes of what it would take. However, I don't think any names were throw around, and I don't think they have spoken again since the price was too high.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:41 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
If Tanguay were offered for Burke, I would lose all confidence in PL's ability as a GM. Burke is no better than what the Avs have, to give up a young, cheap 1st line forward for an ancient goalie who cannot win in the playoffs, will retire after the season, and is coming off an injury, is ridiculous.

--
KL
If thats bait, Ill bite

Abby is not even close to Burkes level of skill
You probably havent ever watched one of Burkes games, he gives the poor coyotes a chance to win everynight. He rightfully earned that shutout against the ducks by stopping an insane amount of shots near the end of the 3rd period.

The cost is too great for the Avs, they dont want to pay up for either goalie. If KL is consistant with most COL fans, PL would have a riot on his hands if he trades anything more than a 5th.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:17 PM
Frightened Inmate #2

KL you are a complete idiot at times. No offence but you fail to see another individuals side. I odn;t believe that tanguay is a first liner but you know what i don't go on a rampage about it.

Plus the first rond pick thing, no GM has ever went out and stated that they offered this but got rejected. Give it up already it only makes you look bad.

Old
10-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Dancing Chicken

what did this dead horse have a heart beat..

First off those of you who think Burke Sucks look at his stats over the last three years or even the last two games. Burke SHOULD not be traded but if he did get traded the return would be great because Burke means that much to the Yotes..

Old
10-15-2003, 04:32 PM
evman150*

I am going to split the difference in opinion here between KL and xavierx.

I agree with xx when he says Burke is a much better goalie than Aebischer. It's not even close.

BUT...

I agree with KL when he says Burke is worth no more than a 3rd. Old, injury prone and chokes in the playoffs. Yuck.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:07 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
By the way, you need to back up your claim that Boston offered a 1st. I am not going to leave you alone until you do. Post that quote or admit you have no evidence.
:p

I just knew it would come to this.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:47 PM
PhoPhan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
If he would just man up and admit that there isnt a quote from a GM, and thus, he has no evidence that an offer was ever made, then there wouldnt be a problem.

But he wont admit it. So I will hound him until he does.

--
KL
We are all in agreement that no GM has been quoted as saying it. Most of us are also in agreement that he is looking like a much bigger man in this by dropping it, as opposed to you who looks like a child by dwelling on it.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:02 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL

The cost isnt too great, Burke wouldnt cost more than a 2nd or 3rd. I just hope that they dont want to pay it, because he isnt any better than Aebischer.
--
KL

Im not going to bother with the rest of his post, it speaks for itself. But since you didnt pay attention Ill say it again.

Burke will not be traded for anything less than a 1st and a great prospect. What hes worth is a different arguement, but to directly quote the front office (har har)

"Burke is our franchise player. To trade him an offer would have to completely blow our socks off" - Gretzky

Old
10-15-2003, 06:05 PM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL
I will not go away. I am going to hound you until you admit your mistake.

--
KL
Please, Continue. Your title only deepens the plot.

Closed Thread