HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draper's Play

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 05:23 AM
SIM_C

vCash: 500
Draper's Play

He doesn't look like he's got the jump he had before the lockout. I thought he'd be scoring a ton in the new nhl but doesn't look like it yet. I noticed he's shooting a lot more so maybe he's getting warmed up. I realize he plays good defence but what made him a complete player in 03 was when he was a threat to score against the opponenets top line and short handed. Maybe he's a little rusty any other theories?

Old
12-09-2005, 07:22 AM
shadoz19

I think one of thw big differences is playing time and who he is playing with. The one thing you have to remeber is that there was no Robert Lang here and Zetterberg did not play center last year. The Wings had Datsyuk, Draper and Yzerman as the top centers. There were times when Yzerman didn't play center too or was hurt. Plus I know in the second half of the season he got PP time which he isn't getting now. I'm sure rust is a part of it too. I've seen too many guys have break-out seasons, sign a new contract, and then have a sub-par season. So that would not surprise me either.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

I think it's hard to make a judgement on the guys who didn't play last year. I think we will see a better idea during the second half of the season.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Higgy4

I think it was foolish for any of us to expect Draper to score 24+ goals again like he did last season. Due to injuries and whatnot, Drapes was forced into a much larger role on the 03/04 team. He overachievied and had a terrific year.

I would LOVE to see the Draper that worked his *** off, killed penalties like a mad man and popped in 12-15 goals. We havent even seen that yet. But he still has his wheels and has been playing better as of late.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:18 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I thought Draper had his best game by far this season vs NJ. That being said, it's really depressing to think that the Wings are locked in to paying him $2.1 mil each of the next two seasons. Something will have to give there, and as much as everyone, including myself, likes Draper, he's probably going to get the gate next summer if he doesn't kick it up several notches the rest of the way in.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I thought Draper had his best game by far this season vs NJ. That being said, it's really depressing to think that the Wings are locked in to paying him $2.1 mil each of the next two seasons. Something will have to give there, and as much as everyone, including myself, likes Draper, he's probably going to get the gate next summer if he doesn't kick it up several notches the rest of the way in.
the problem is if his contract is bought out, I'm fairly certain a percentage of the buyout will go against our cap anyway. And to ditch him in a trade would probably mean we take someone back who is also a cap problem or far less than equal value. Perhaps, unfortunately, just keeping him and continuing to pay him his $2.1 mil might actually be the best option for the wings.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
Shoalzie

Just throwing this one out there, do you think not having McCarty around has affected in some way?

Old
12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
PigPen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
Just throwing this one out there, do you think not having McCarty around has affected in some way?
No. McCarty was seldom available (due to injuries) to play with Draper. When he was available he was frequently plugged into a fourth line.

from W98:
"the problem is if his contract is bought out, I'm fairly certain a percentage of the buyout will go against our cap anyway. And to ditch him in a trade would probably mean we take someone back who is also a cap problem or far less than equal value. Perhaps, unfortunately, just keeping him and continuing to pay him his $2.1 mil might actually be the best option for the wings."

ALL of any buyout (2/3 salary) would count against cap. This years buyout spree was a one-time, one week special event designed to give teams the opportunity to adjust to the new realities of a cap system. It won't happen again.
If the DRW were to buyout Draper, they would save $700K cap room, but his replacement would cost a minimum of $450K (This is the bare bones model ... To get Draperesque performance would cost IMO $1.5M ... so therefore It would cost an ADDITIONAL $1.050M to buyout Draper and get a comparable player. Or they could buyout Kris and he could apply for his old job (I think the one year restriction only applied to this season) at $1.5M and pocket the $700k himself ... don't look for this to happen!!

If someone wants to check my arithmetic go ahead ... JUST Don't post the results. I don't want to know.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie

Wasn't it Brett Hull who used to help him with his shoot? I thought i remember hearing that.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:46 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
the problem is if his contract is bought out, I'm fairly certain a percentage of the buyout will go against our cap anyway. And to ditch him in a trade would probably mean we take someone back who is also a cap problem or far less than equal value. Perhaps, unfortunately, just keeping him and continuing to pay him his $2.1 mil might actually be the best option for the wings.
I wasn't suggesting a buyout, I don't think those are even an option anymore. Or, if they are, they still count vs your cap, so why bother?

I was really thinking they could trade him, even if it's for a 7th rounder or a bag of pucks or something. It would be sad, but probably necessary to improve the team. Put it this way - next season would you rather have Draper on your team for 2.1 mil, or a guy like Norstrom or McKee? If that's the choice, even if it means giving him away for a dollar, it's one that has to be made.

Also, I like the idea that Draper would be traded for a dollar twice. Not as a slight against him at all, but it would be funny. If it were possible to renegotiate contracts I'd say great, halve his salary and keep him. But there's no such thing in the new CBA.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:05 AM
wilka91*

wait a minute ... contracts can't be bought out anymore! or can they? I thought it was possible only before August 1, 2005. after that all the players will be paid what they signed for.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:08 AM
doublejack

Contracts can be bought out at 2/3rds the total value as was stated. The problem is the entire amount of the buyout counts against the cap so it doesn't save much. The pre-Aug 1st. buyouts were different in that they were cap exempt.

I'm with sarcastro. I would dump Draper for nothing just to free up the salary space. I'd even ship him & a late round future pick in a package if that's what it took to get him off our hands. It's a shame to have to say this kind of thing about such a likeable guy, but Draper is nowhere near worth what he's paid, and with the salary cap that makes him a hindrance to success.

Old
12-09-2005, 04:43 PM
hockeytown9321

He isn't getting the ice time he did last season. He's also not a 20 or 30 goal scorer. Babcock plays him almost exclusively in defensive situations. With all the power plays, he doesn't really get a regular shift.

I do agree with Babcock, Draper is going to break out soon. He's had lots of chances the last few games.

Closed Thread