HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The name's Jagr...Jaromir "Work Ethic of a Potato Chip" Jagr...

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2003, 06:24 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
The name's Jagr...Jaromir "Work Ethic of a Potato Chip" Jagr...

Did anybody catch the Canadiens/Capitals game tonight? Jaromir Jagr put together an unmotivated performance worthy of Mariusz Czerkawski, circa 2002-2003.

It was terrible. He was benched during the first Washington power play, ruined the second one by not getting back onside fast enough, and didn't register a shot on net. Bruce Cassidy looked right pissed off the whole time. The announcers repeatedly pointed out stupid, lazy plays he was making and really had it out for him.

Thoughts?

Old
10-14-2003, 06:27 PM
Jacob

I want to know why Pierre McGuire said the Penguins have been getting "beaten up lately".

Old
10-14-2003, 06:30 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
I want to know why Pierre McGuire said the Penguins have been getting "beaten up lately".
McGuire's the reason why i watched tonights game on RDS...

Old
10-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Well, I've known some pretty hard-working potato chips in my time... :clown:

Am in the minority here, but for the most part, I like McGuire's work. Don't always agree with him, but he knows the game (obviously) and is not afraid to speak his mind.

Calling out Jagr tonight is one example. And he was right in this case.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:35 PM
Jacob

I don't know, the tie against the Flyers was impressive to me.

Old
10-14-2003, 06:46 PM
Biscuit Bullet

Send a message via AIM to Biscuit Bullet
The fact that he's getting 18 minutes a game must be pretty unencouraging for him...

Old
10-14-2003, 07:01 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Well, I've known some pretty hard-working potato chips in my time... :clown:

Am in the minority here, but for the most part, I like McGuire's work. Don't always agree with him, but he knows the game (obviously) and is not afraid to speak his mind.

Calling out Jagr tonight is one example. And he was right in this case.
McGuire has really grown on me. I don't know if he's changed his style or if I've just gotten used to him, but right now I think I'd rather watch him than any other color-man in Canada.

Earlier on he seemed to be trying a little too hard to be a Boo-ya, in-yer-face, Sport-Poochie type, and it just wasn't him. He seems a lot more natural now.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:11 PM
Master Kush

here's what i posted on the mtl board:

Anyone watching it on TSN?

What the hell is wrong with McGuire. He's been basing Jagr constantly for the dumbest things. He commented on how Jagr's demeanor "doesn't look like he's interested the game" when he came off the bench during a stoppage. And then he keeps on repeating how jagr isn't on the ice for the full 60 minutes or something, commenting on how he's not on at the beginning of the PP when he was just on when the infraction occurred...

There's no way Jagr should have been singled out like that. Most caps fans have been impressed with Jagr so far this season. I actually used to like McGuire, but all he seems to do is nitpick on the dumbest things and making something out of nothing. He simply just over-analyzes everything.

If it was Sakic or Kariya doing the exact same thing Jagr was tonight, McGuire would be spewing his load all over the ice..

Old
10-14-2003, 07:14 PM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Jagr's work ethic has sucked consistently over the last 5 years or so. Talk to any Pens fan who watched practices at Southpoint and they'll tell you even then the guy blew off team stretching exercises, drills, etc.

Jagr is a textbook case of someone with tremendous talent knowing as much and trying to get by without working hard. I have no respect left for the guy... sad what he's become.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Histrion

Send a message via MSN to Histrion
TQS, a television station from Montreal, are talking about the Jagr case right now, and they pointed out that Jagr might have been angry because Cassidy didn't putted him on the PP unit when they had their first opportunity, and that he seemed frustrated about it.

It might have some truth in it, but it is still a total disgrace to see such a player doing nothing. Hell, when it was 5-1 Canadiens, we could still see him smiling and laughing on the bench: DIS-GUS-TING!

Old
10-14-2003, 07:32 PM
tom_servo

This is 2003, not 1990. Jagr is 32 years old, not 18. He's played here all of his adult life.

The thing is, he seemed a lot happier in his early days. Never moody. This is only a fairly recent problem.

Jagr's sick of the money? He says that, but then signs a lengthy extension.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euro
Jagr came to America at the age of 18 without knowing the language. He left ALL of his family behind and all he had in life was his hockey talents. Try growing up with your friends for 10+ years then leaving them to go to another world where you are considered different.

Jagr said if he had a choice he would give up all he has here just to bring all his friends here.

He's sick of his money to a point where he'd rather gamble it away.

Jagr has more heart then most. How many of you would leave your life to go to another world and only have a stick in your hand.

I don't respect anyone that rips Jagr and his heart. He's been through more then most of you fat nerds can even imagine.

That is such bs. There are a lot of Euros who come here when they are 18 some even younger and they work their ***** off. The problem with Jagr is that he should dominate with his talents, but chooses not to.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:36 PM
Blackshad

He is the guys with the most points in 3 years. Calm Down.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Jagr came to America at the age of 18 without knowing the language. He left ALL of his family behind and all he had in life was his hockey talents. Try growing up with your friends for 10+ years then leaving them to go to another world where you are considered different.
For the kind of fame and money he got? Sure, where do i sign?

You think Jagr's had a tough life; well i think you need a dose of reality.

Quote:
Jagr said if he had a choice he would give up all he has here just to bring all his friends here.
Then put your money where your mouth is Jagr. Retire and bring over all your friends and relatives and enjoy life..god knows he's made enough money to retire tomorrow and never have to worry about a dime....

Old
10-14-2003, 07:41 PM
Jacob

Quote:
He also once said he only wants money, beaches, and girls.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:43 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:

He's sick of his money to a point where he'd rather gamble it away.

Jagr has more heart then most. How many of you would leave your life to go to another world and only have a stick in your hand.

I don't respect anyone that rips Jagr and his heart. He's been through more then most of you fat nerds can even imagine.

Yeah, I feel so sorry for him. Your story almost makes me want to cry.
Oh, and BTW, I'm sure Jagr has more than enough money to bring all of his friends and family to the U.S. if he wanted to.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:46 PM
tom_servo

Jagr only lives here during the season, anyway. He goes back to the Czech Republic in the offseason. This isn't a military commitment; he could've retired to play in the Czech Leagues at any time. Everything that he complains about is in his hands.

Old
10-14-2003, 07:46 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Fat nerd? Speak for yourself, slappy.

This spoiled buffoon hasn't been through a thing. He makes a bajillion dollars and could buy all of his friends houses and set them all up for life over here if he wanted to. You think this guy is suffering?

You don't know what real suffering is if you think that.

He's being paid as a guy who dominates games and piles up huge points. That's one reason why Washington gave him all that dough. And it's been a miserable failure, since he hasn't dominated or put kiesters in the seats. Total bust.

Where is the mighty mullet? Where is the motivation?

He needs a change of scenery. If fired up and in a better environment (like a better team, for instance), this guy is still capable of being the premier offensive player in the league IMO. Besides Mario.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:03 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_servo
This is 2003, not 1990. Jagr is 32 years old, not 18. He's played here all of his adult life.

The thing is, he seemed a lot happier in his early days. Never moody. This is only a fairly recent problem.
Exactly. Since 2001 (coinciding with #66's return) Jagr has been a moody enigma. Up until that time, he was enjoying one of the better careers in NHL history.

He is still a supreme talent. But I'm certain that Ted Leonis expected more for his money. Understandably.

When a team's best player is an erratic personality (as Jagr seems to be at times), it affects the entire team.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:08 PM
EroCaps

the management in Washington has done everything in it's power to accomodate Jaromir outside of mandatory counseling.

He's the professional, and it's his responsibility to come to work motivated. Who heard Sakic and Yzerman complaining 10 years ago, vintage Nordique and Red Wing ineptitude?

4 pts in 4 games ain't bad, but 3 periods of effort over that span is pitiful.

Switching gears for a sec, what do Canadian/Leaf fans think of Semin/Eminger's play the last couple nights? I thought Alex was breathtaking tonight with the puck. Eminger continues to shine.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:35 PM
Reign Nateo

Poor baby,had to go play a sport he loved for a living, for millions of dollars, and become famous in the process. Cry me a river.

If you tell me I can make millions of dollars and become famous playing hockey and I have to go to Antartica I do it, without hesitation.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:58 PM
Dr.Strangelove91

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps
the management in Washington has done everything in it's power to accomodate Jaromir outside of mandatory counseling.

He's the professional, and it's his responsibility to come to work motivated. Who heard Sakic and Yzerman complaining 10 years ago, vintage Nordique and Red Wing ineptitude?

4 pts in 4 games ain't bad, but 3 periods of effort over that span is pitiful.

Switching gears for a sec, what do Canadian/Leaf fans think of Semin/Eminger's play the last couple nights? I thought Alex was breathtaking tonight with the puck. Eminger continues to shine.
I was at the game tonight and Semin looked pretty sharp. Quick hands and feet. Sweet puck handler. I was wondering who was that number 28 guy until late in the first. He's going to be very good once he bulks up and get his act together.

Old
10-14-2003, 08:59 PM
SwisshockeyAcademy

Jagr's days of domination are over. he has lost his burst in tight and his will to drag people to the net. he still has wonderful hands and a good offensive mind. he can still put up points for many years but he will never again carry a team. He makes too much money to move and is too moody. he is virtually untradeable. I think what pisses everyone off the most is seeing someone refuse to maximize their talents, everyone wishing they had 1 tenth of that ability and saying to themselves they would not waste it if they had it. jagr does not maximize and it does not seem to bother him. Leonisis is embarassed by him because he is a man that has thrived in the business world and he has not been able to get this to work. More money can often equal more problems if you do not spend the money well.

Old
10-14-2003, 10:10 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobv2
He also once said he only wants money, beaches, and girls.

i believe that was fedorov....

Old
10-14-2003, 10:17 PM
tom_servo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel datsyuk
i believe that was fedorov....
Perhaps, but Jagr indeed said that a while ago. Of course, he has a quirky sense of humor, so not everything he says, especially in English, can be taken a face value.

Closed Thread