HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fischer Press Conference Monday @ 4pm

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 07:44 PM
doublejack

vCash: 500
Fischer Press Conference Monday @ 4pm

During the game vs. Washington, Ken Daniels made the announcement that there will be a press conference on Monday @ the Joe. It will be live on FSN Detroit. Jiri Fischer will be there along with his doctors.

Just a guess on my part, but I really believe it's to announce his retirement. IMO, there would be no need for a presser if he were coming back.

Old
12-09-2005, 08:45 PM
stu the grim reaper

Old
12-09-2005, 08:52 PM
Higgy4

Makes me sad too, but its the absolute right thing to do.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:05 PM
GoBoltz56
Mantha's Coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
During the game vs. Washington, Ken Daniels made the announcement that there will be a press conference on Monday @ the Joe. It will be live on FSN Detroit. Jiri Fischer will be there along with his doctors.

Just a guess on my part, but I really believe it's to announce his retirement. IMO, there would be no need for a presser if he were coming back.
Thats what immediately popped into my head when I heard it. They wouldn't have a press conference to announce he's coming back. Not only that, but it's kind of hard to fix a genetic heart problem that almost killed him.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:13 PM
MetalMilitia

It did kill him for a few seconds or so. Accoring to the Washington commentators, Fischer spent about 90 minutes with the Wings around the dressing room for the game in Washington, which leaves me to think that he will retire as well. Let's just hope that isn't the case and his heart problem is a one time thing... two time thing.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:22 PM
O'shizzle

It's probably one of two things. He could be announcing his retirement, or he could be announcing that he's through for the season, and further evaluation will be done during the summer.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
guinness
those were the days

I think it's to announce his retirement too; while giving up the sport you love would be hard, when your life is at stake, it puts everything into perspective.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:18 PM
octopi

Speaking of heartbreak, did you know you can be so sad you can actually get sick or die? I was reading about it the other day.

(Thank you, captain Morose)

The timing of the conference is really weird, too. An hour before game time with the Pens? Are you kidding me?!

Last edited by octopi: 12-09-2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old
12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I don't know what is going to happen...I hope it's just a progress report and not a retirement announcement...unfortunately, my heart tells me otherwise. But we shall see...I intend to TiVo it one way or the other.

Maybe he will just take the rest of the season off to recuperate...one never knows.

Say a prayer...

Old
12-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Higgy4

I know its sad and many of you are holding out hope that he can come back. But lets be realistic here. He had heart problems a couple seasons ago. He basically died on the bench a few weeks ago. This is obviously something he will be living with for the rest of his life.

I WANT him to retire. It isnt worth the risk.

Its sad that his career is cut short, but lets be happy for him that he can go on and live a happy, healthy life.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:43 AM
Howard35

Send a message via AIM to Howard35

Old
12-10-2005, 01:45 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:

We just have to wait and see. I just hope that it is not what I am thinking.

Old
12-10-2005, 06:00 AM
interminded

It could be the announcement of his retirement, but frankly I don't think so (well, at least I hope so..)

I think they only want to clarify some things, explain what has happened and explain what will happen.

Anyway, if this would be his retirement, I would fully understand.
Although it's a sad sad thing, if one can choose between hockey and life, who wouldn't choose LIFE ?

Old
12-10-2005, 12:50 PM
kira

The thing is, if he does have what I think he has, which is a form of cardiomyopathy, this can be controlled by medication, and with proper monitoring and care, he can come back and play again. I'm hoping that it's just an update on what's going on, and not Jiri's farewell. But it sure will be great to see him...I missed his presence on the ice last night...I can just imagine him going after the guy who tried to do Pasha in...he would not have stood for that at all.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Higgy4

Again...I say its not worth the risk. Medication is not the cure all. And what if they missed something that the medication cannot control? This is not the first heart problem Fischer has had. Thats the bottom line for me. Ask Sergei Zholtok's family about the risk of continuing to play with a heart ailment.

Retire Jiri...for your sake.

Old
12-11-2005, 04:47 AM
Shoalzie

I don't want to see him leave but he's got to do what he's got to do. I hope he's able to live a peaceful and healthy life after hockey. I wish him and Avery nothing but the best as they start their lives together. Thank you Fisch!

Should be an emotional night at the Joe on Monday if he does hang it up. After work, I'll be heading to Detroit to see the game against Crosby and the Penguins. I wonder what kind of a buzz there will be in the arena...will he be in attendance? I don't think he'll have the same inspirational power as Konstantinov after his accident but that's a different set of circumstances. He and Vlady always be a Red Wings.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Sanderson

Things like that can happen at home as well. He wouldn't have to work on the same physical level, so the risk might be a bit lower, but sometimes it can take much less to get a heard attack or something similar.

Heard problems are a nasty thing, hopefully he will never have to cope with something similar to what happened in that game, again.

Old
12-12-2005, 02:27 PM
Heaton
#hope

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Again...I say its not worth the risk. Medication is not the cure all. And what if they missed something that the medication cannot control? This is not the first heart problem Fischer has had. Thats the bottom line for me. Ask Sergei Zholtok's family about the risk of continuing to play with a heart ailment.

Retire Jiri...for your sake.
You can't live your life in fear, if Fischer gets cleared to play again, and wants to, I think he should.

Old
12-12-2005, 02:35 PM
sarcastro

My first thought was that he would announce he's done for the year. You figure even if they tell him in 6 or 8 weeks that he can come back, he will have gone 2 months or more without any kind of activity and won't be in game shape.

I find it hard to believe that he would announce his retirement, for a few reasons. First off, he's so young, and so committed to the game, I can't see him giving up. Second, he hasn't even gotten a clear diagnosis. Like Kira said, what if it turns out to be something that's treatable?

It's too early for him to retire based on inconclusive medical tests. If he takes the rest of the year off, chances are that by June or July, they will have figured out what the problem is. At that point, he and his doctors can decide what his future holds. But unless they've got something a lot more conclusive than what we've been given so far, I don't think he'll retire today.

Old
12-12-2005, 02:42 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton
You can't live your life in fear, if Fischer gets cleared to play again, and wants to, I think he should.
He doesnt have a broken bone or even cancer (like Lemieux). He apparently has a permanent heart problem.

I would definitly live in fear of dying from that. Medication and doctors giving clearance is still not good enough for me. A hockey career or living? Easy choice for me.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:08 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Fischer is making me cry!

Old
12-12-2005, 03:44 PM
doublejack

Very touching, that's for sure.

He didn't come out with any hard & fast answers, but this was a retirement speech if I ever saw one. All the talk about "second life" and "I would like to return one day" make it clear to me he's done.

I wish Jiri the very best, hopefully he has a long & fruitful life.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:54 PM
El_Scoobo

Quote:
Very touching, that's for sure.

He didn't come out with any hard & fast answers, but this was a retirement speech if I ever saw one. All the talk about "second life" and "I would like to return one day" make it clear to me he's done.

I wish Jiri the very best, hopefully he has a long & fruitful life.
Good post. He can still live over 60 years and raise a family. That is more important than hockey. Good luck to him.

Old
12-12-2005, 04:19 PM
sparr0w

My rough summary.

Very choked up.

He's very thankful. Referred to Dr. Collucci as his guardian angel. "Unfortunately, what happened happened. I'm really, really glad I'm still here. Not many people get a 2nd chance. You do what you like to do, but staying alive is more important." Wants to thank everyone involved (mentioned some names those in the 6 people article). "People I'll never forget."

"You don't get to be born twice." "In the three weeks so many people sent letters and prayed for me." "I've always believed in faith and in something way more powerful that watches over me." "The same day I was lucky.. a 15 year old girl didn't make it. It really put things in perspective that I was in the right place at the right time and you should really value it."

More thanks. " I don't want to forget anyone, but they know."

Q - Any idea when you can play again?
Jiri - Well the game's in three hours, right? *chuckle* Well not tonight. I would like to return one day.

Q - Have you changed how you live you life being given this "2nd chance"?
Jiri - really broken up. The last three weeks... I get up every day... and... I live. Doesn't really matter how, but I live. Everybody says you should live life to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close when nothing matters except being alive.

Q - Do you expect to play again/Wings or other team to take a chance. You to take a chance to play again?
Jiri - Will someone let you play? With today's technology and medicine there are still things undiscovered, unknowns. Hopefully things in months... years.. can be explained things found out. Sometimes things have to happen (like what happened to me) for answers or advances to be made.

*Choked up* "This is what I worked for, this is what I know. I don't want it to be taken away."

Q - I missed it but it addressed his fiancee, Avery.
Jiri - most choked up of the PC and sobbing at points. "I could never wish.. to meet someone... even remotely... as good of a person... as my fiancee... my fiancee Avery." *really broke up at this point and they just went to the next question*

Q - Have you been advised to give up hockey?
Jiri - What would you advise me? *chuckle* If any athlete goes through what happened to me a lot of people, doctors try to be as cautious as possible to keep it from occuring. I'm 25. I might not play tomorrow or the next few weeks. There is time to come where hopefully there are better answers or solutions.

Q - About the hospital stuff and tests since the event.
Jiri/Dr. - Tests coming back clear. A couple times he had to go back to the hospital with heart rate issues.

Q - Have you thought/faced life w/o hockey?
Jiri - Well, sooner or later I'll have to. A lot of tests still need to be done to clarify things. Not just looking for a cure but asking why? Why it happened when it did in the middle of the period instead of after the game? What triggered it. There is no answer yet.

Q - Would you clear him to play now, this season, and a clarification of what happened with his heart that night.
Collucci - We're still testing. It's premature to project whether we can clear him at this point. He mentioned a couple of months of de-conditioning? He's on some medication and need to see how he responds. And if he were to be cleared it would come from the cardiologist, he'd be the authority. Then goes into the same explanation we've read with the fatal rhythm and being de-fibbed back to a regular beat.

Q - How is it to live not knowing what caused it?
Jiri - Could be pretty scary. On the other hand I'll take my chances, it's better than not being here at all. What triggered it is most important. There were a lot of worried guys around the league. I got a lot of phone calls from players. Because there is uncertainty of how and why.

I really believe in faith, maybe it was just meant to be. If someone told me a year ago... I really felt fine. Every summer I'd work really hard and never felt anything. Nothing ever happened, my blood pressure was always almost perfect.

I feel good. I am enjoying it and for what the future brings. I'm excited to find out.

Feel free to point out mistakes or omissions. Early on I used ""s to mark what I thought I got down pretty good, but gave up partway through. I think I missed one question to Collucci near the end.

My take is that while he couldn't come out and say it he realizes that at this point with what we know about the heart and medicine he's done for the time being. I'd like to return one day. And the comment about being 25 followed by hopes for future advances and breakthroughs sort of spells it out "between the lines" so to speak.

Enjoy the life you still have. May you and Avery have many happy years together.

Old
12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
kira

I hereby admit it - I lost it watching him try to get through this. I cried almost as much as he did.

I know your faith and strength will be tested more and more, but Jiri, if anyone can come back from this, I know you can. In the meantime, know that our hearts and thoughts are with you.

Closed Thread