HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fischer Press Conference Monday @ 4pm

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2005, 05:32 PM
interminded

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
My rough summary.

Very choked up.

He's very thankful. Referred to Dr. Collucci as his guardian angel. "Unfortunately, what happened happened. I'm really, really glad I'm still here. Not many people get a 2nd chance. You do what you like to do, but staying alive is more important." Wants to thank everyone involved (mentioned some names those in the 6 people article). "People I'll never forget."

"You don't get to be born twice." "In the three weeks so many people sent letters and prayed for me." "I've always believed in faith and in something way more powerful that watches over me." "The same day I was lucky.. a 15 year old girl didn't make it. It really put things in perspective that I was in the right place at the right time and you should really value it."

More thanks. " I don't want to forget anyone, but they know."

Q - Any idea when you can play again?
Jiri - Well the game's in three hours, right? *chuckle* Well not tonight. I would like to return one day.

Q - Have you changed how you live you life being given this "2nd chance"?
Jiri - really broken up. The last three weeks... I get up every day... and... I live. Doesn't really matter how, but I live. Everybody says you should live life to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close when nothing matters except being alive.

Q - Do you expect to play again/Wings or other team to take a chance. You to take a chance to play again?
Jiri - Will someone let you play? With today's technology and medicine there are still things undiscovered, unknowns. Hopefully things in months... years.. can be explained things found out. Sometimes things have to happen (like what happened to me) for answers or advances to be made.

*Choked up* "This is what I worked for, this is what I know. I don't want it to be taken away."

Q - I missed it but it addressed his fiancee, Avery.
Jiri - most choked up of the PC and sobbing at points. "I could never wish.. to meet someone... even remotely... as good of a person... as my fiancee... my fiancee Avery." *really broke up at this point and they just went to the next question*

Q - Have you been advised to give up hockey?
Jiri - What would you advise me? *chuckle* If any athlete goes through what happened to me a lot of people, doctors try to be as cautious as possible to keep it from occuring. I'm 25. I might not play tomorrow or the next few weeks. There is time to come where hopefully there are better answers or solutions.

Q - About the hospital stuff and tests since the event.
Jiri/Dr. - Tests coming back clear. A couple times he had to go back to the hospital with heart rate issues.

Q - Have you thought/faced life w/o hockey?
Jiri - Well, sooner or later I'll have to. A lot of tests still need to be done to clarify things. Not just looking for a cure but asking why? Why it happened when it did in the middle of the period instead of after the game? What triggered it. There is no answer yet.

Q - Would you clear him to play now, this season, and a clarification of what happened with his heart that night.
Collucci - We're still testing. It's premature to project whether we can clear him at this point. He mentioned a couple of months of de-conditioning? He's on some medication and need to see how he responds. And if he were to be cleared it would come from the cardiologist, he'd be the authority. Then goes into the same explanation we've read with the fatal rhythm and being de-fibbed back to a regular beat.

Q - How is it to live not knowing what caused it?
Jiri - Could be pretty scary. On the other hand I'll take my chances, it's better than not being here at all. What triggered it is most important. There were a lot of worried guys around the league. I got a lot of phone calls from players. Because there is uncertainty of how and why.

I really believe in faith, maybe it was just meant to be. If someone told me a year ago... I really felt fine. Every summer I'd work really hard and never felt anything. Nothing ever happened, my blood pressure was always almost perfect.

I feel good. I am enjoying it and for what the future brings. I'm excited to find out.

Feel free to point out mistakes or omissions. Early on I used ""s to mark what I thought I got down pretty good, but gave up partway through. I think I missed one question to Collucci near the end.

My take is that while he couldn't come out and say it he realizes that at this point with what we know about the heart and medicine he's done for the time being. I'd like to return one day. And the comment about being 25 followed by hopes for future advances and breakthroughs sort of spells it out "between the lines" so to speak.

Enjoy the life you still have. May you and Avery have many happy years together.
Thanks for sharing this Norris and for taking the time to type all this !!!

it's just a F-upped situation.. I feel terribly terribly sorry for Jiri, or everybody for that matter who can't do what they love to do !!
It's terrible.

On the other hand, I try to keep this in perspective.
Jiri is alive, he can get a 100 years old with this, raise a family and have a great life.
That's worth something, in my opinion.

And should he have to retire someday, Jiri will realize this too.

Old
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
Fischer is making me cry!
You weren't alone in that...trust me.

Old
12-12-2005, 05:43 PM
norrisnick

Here is an audio link (realplayer) from Mlive. I've edited my summary a time or to (over at LGW) to fix things but it's best to hear it IMO.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/audio/...o/audio07.html

Old
12-12-2005, 05:46 PM
FlyerFire

on behalf of the Flyers

I'd like to offer my prayers to Jiri and the Red Wings.He is a very good player. Hope he lives a long and productive life.God bless

Old
12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Sharks fan here.....nothing but the best for him. Obviously it would be wonderful for him to come back to play, but for him and his loved ones..I just want him to have a full and happy life.

Best of luck Jiri. All best wishes to you.

Old
12-12-2005, 07:04 PM
MotownMadman

Quote:
My rough summary.
Thanks for posting the summary nick (for the sake of space I didn't repost everything. A lot of times people think athletes aren't that bright because they possess such physical talent, I think that Jiri is a counter example to that stereotype in his remarks.

I wish Jiri and his family the best, whether that involves a more games in the NHL or not.

Old
12-12-2005, 07:19 PM
luv_canadian_hockey

Good luck to Jiri.. I hope he can come back and play again.

Old
12-12-2005, 07:27 PM
Schenn02

Quote:
My rough summary.

Very choked up.

He's very thankful. Referred to Dr. Collucci as his guardian angel. "Unfortunately, what happened happened. I'm really, really glad I'm still here. Not many people get a 2nd chance. You do what you like to do, but staying alive is more important." Wants to thank everyone involved (mentioned some names those in the 6 people article). "People I'll never forget."

"You don't get to be born twice." "In the three weeks so many people sent letters and prayed for me." "I've always believed in faith and in something way more powerful that watches over me." "The same day I was lucky.. a 15 year old girl didn't make it. It really put things in perspective that I was in the right place at the right time and you should really value it."

More thanks. " I don't want to forget anyone, but they know."

Q - Any idea when you can play again?
Jiri - Well the game's in three hours, right? *chuckle* Well not tonight. I would like to return one day.

Q - Have you changed how you live you life being given this "2nd chance"?
Jiri - really broken up. The last three weeks... I get up every day... and... I live. Doesn't really matter how, but I live. Everybody says you should live life to the fullest, but what is it? No one knows until you come so close when nothing matters except being alive.

Q - Do you expect to play again/Wings or other team to take a chance. You to take a chance to play again?
Jiri - Will someone let you play? With today's technology and medicine there are still things undiscovered, unknowns. Hopefully things in months... years.. can be explained things found out. Sometimes things have to happen (like what happened to me) for answers or advances to be made.

*Choked up* "This is what I worked for, this is what I know. I don't want it to be taken away."

Q - I missed it but it addressed his fiancee, Avery.
Jiri - most choked up of the PC and sobbing at points. "I could never wish.. to meet someone... even remotely... as good of a person... as my fiancee... my fiancee Avery." *really broke up at this point and they just went to the next question*

Q - Have you been advised to give up hockey?
Jiri - What would you advise me? *chuckle* If any athlete goes through what happened to me a lot of people, doctors try to be as cautious as possible to keep it from occuring. I'm 25. I might not play tomorrow or the next few weeks. There is time to come where hopefully there are better answers or solutions.

Q - About the hospital stuff and tests since the event.
Jiri/Dr. - Tests coming back clear. A couple times he had to go back to the hospital with heart rate issues.

Q - Have you thought/faced life w/o hockey?
Jiri - Well, sooner or later I'll have to. A lot of tests still need to be done to clarify things. Not just looking for a cure but asking why? Why it happened when it did in the middle of the period instead of after the game? What triggered it. There is no answer yet.

Q - Would you clear him to play now, this season, and a clarification of what happened with his heart that night.
Collucci - We're still testing. It's premature to project whether we can clear him at this point. He mentioned a couple of months of de-conditioning? He's on some medication and need to see how he responds. And if he were to be cleared it would come from the cardiologist, he'd be the authority. Then goes into the same explanation we've read with the fatal rhythm and being de-fibbed back to a regular beat.

Q - How is it to live not knowing what caused it?
Jiri - Could be pretty scary. On the other hand I'll take my chances, it's better than not being here at all. What triggered it is most important. There were a lot of worried guys around the league. I got a lot of phone calls from players. Because there is uncertainty of how and why.

I really believe in faith, maybe it was just meant to be. If someone told me a year ago... I really felt fine. Every summer I'd work really hard and never felt anything. Nothing ever happened, my blood pressure was always almost perfect.

I feel good. I am enjoying it and for what the future brings. I'm excited to find out.

Feel free to point out mistakes or omissions. Early on I used ""s to mark what I thought I got down pretty good, but gave up partway through. I think I missed one question to Collucci near the end.

My take is that while he couldn't come out and say it he realizes that at this point with what we know about the heart and medicine he's done for the time being. I'd like to return one day. And the comment about being 25 followed by hopes for future advances and breakthroughs sort of spells it out "between the lines" so to speak.

Enjoy the life you still have. May you and Avery have many happy years together.
Wow reading that makes me choke up. And now I am listening to it. I wish him all the best in life

Old
12-12-2005, 10:33 PM
octopi

vCash: 703
I could have sworn this was about 15 minutes long. And thats just the parts I saw. Why I am just now noticing how flawlessly Jiri speaks English? I must have heard him talk before....

Anyways, I think the obvious implication is he's out for at least this season, in all probability.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:16 PM
Alain Racette

I'm not a very emotional guy, but this made me cry. Especially when he brought up his fiancee, especially when he started to break up with "My fiancee Avery". Very sad, indeed. I wish Fisch all the best.

Old
12-13-2005, 01:02 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Here is an audio link (realplayer) from Mlive. I've edited my summary a time or to (over at LGW) to fix things but it's best to hear it IMO.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/audio/...o/audio07.html
Thanks for this link.

I really don't know what to say about it. It was really hard to hear Jiri talk like that. I wish Jiri the best of luck!

Old
12-13-2005, 01:18 AM
kira

They replayed it tonight on FSD, and even watching it the second time didn't make it any easier...I cried all over again.

Jiri, I wish I could give you your heart's desire...just hang in there, sweetheart...

Old
12-13-2005, 05:23 AM
interminded

Dear fans,

Although it was a sad press conference and it was emotional for a lot of us,
let's keep in mind that Jiri is doing well.

He got a second chance.. how many people can say that ?

Life is now a bonus, not hockey.

Old
12-13-2005, 07:56 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded
Dear fans,

Although it was a sad press conference and it was emotional for a lot of us,
let's keep in mind that Jiri is doing well.

He got a second chance.. how many people can say that ?

Life is now a bonus, not hockey.

I found the conference sad as well, but burying him would be much sadder.

Frankly,I think he really needs to look around and start counting his blessings, if he hasn't already.

Hey, were his teamates at the conference? I got the impression they weren't.

Last edited by octopi: 12-13-2005 at 09:16 AM.
Old
12-13-2005, 01:56 PM
kira

I didn't see them, but you can bet the farm that, a) they weren't far away, and b) they were listening to it.

Closed Thread