HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Go USA? Go Canada? How about just GO AWAY!

Closed Thread

Old
12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Go USA? Go Canada? How about just GO AWAY!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2252497

What a self-absorbed buttwipe. I'm really wishing he'd come up with one of his glorious season ending injuries any time now... with Laviolette watching, tonight would be ideal.

Old
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

JR's mouth is really starting to wear on me. How the hell can he justify being on the national squad with his putrid play thus far this season?

Maybe he should be more concerned with improving his on-ice performance rather than wishing he could finish his career in Toronto or his future in broadcasting or acting.

Old
12-08-2005, 02:19 PM
willie

I'm not going to lie, the insurance $$$ would be nice.

I like Roenick and all but he's got to give this up. Let your play determine how worthy you are of making the squad. (and so far, he certainly isn't. In fact there are 4 Kings, Miller, Gleason, Brown & Conroy, who are more deserving to make the team.) He should have done the classy thing like Yzerman and just told the team that he doens't belong there at the expense of better players. Instead, he's doing the exact opposite...

Old
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
he's starting to become a bum. personally, i think things like this are much worse than some of the s*** Avery says.

Old
12-08-2005, 02:56 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Let us observe the contributions of the $4.94 million dollar man this season.

He is on a 5-game goal scoring drought. He has netted 2 goals in the past 21 games. He has had 5 games this season where he has not registered a shot on goal, and 5 games where he has had only 1 shot on goal. He is 10th on the Kings with 45 shots on goal.

JR has taken the third most amount of the teams faceoffs, and has the worst faceoff percentage among Kings centers (behind Belanger, Conroy, Armstrong, Cammalleri and Avery).

Four of his 11 points have come on the powerplay (2G,2A). JR averages over 17:20 in ice time, fourth most among forwards after the top line of Demitra, Conroy, Frolov. He will be turning 36 next month and has a total of 5 goals and 6 assists in 26 games.

He has whined about his skates and used the year off due to the lockout as an excuse for his poor start. He said he will be back to form by the end of November. It is now early December, two months into the season.

Letís see how he does this month. If we get the same old results from him heading into 2006, then I don't think he is going to improve much more going further into the season. We can then conclude whether or not his acquisition, given his salary, has been a major bust. If he can put it together, the Kings will be lucky to get 40+ points out of him this season, and I think that is what he can reach, tops. At this point, seeing him register 50 points would come as a major surprise to me.

Old
12-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

What a joke he has become. I wish he would just retire already. If he gets spot on that team and a player like Gleason, Brown, Conroy or Parise doesn't.....now that will be a travesty.

Old
12-08-2005, 03:30 PM
Haik

What a waste of $5 mill....

Old
12-08-2005, 03:56 PM
TubbyTerrion*

the next time Dave Taylor picks up the White Courtesy Phone, and Bobby Clarke is on the other end, I PRAY HE HANGS UP

Old
12-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Kick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR
When the United States announces its men's Olympic hockey team on Dec. 19, one player expects to make the cut ... or else.
Or else what JR? Youíll take your puck and go home??

Why don't you just go take up residence in Bora Bora or some place and start your own hockey team.

Old
12-08-2005, 04:22 PM
bacchusbuddha

Send a message via AIM to bacchusbuddha
Someone had to do it (poorly)...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoser2.jpg‎ (15.4 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by bacchusbuddha: 12-08-2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old
12-08-2005, 05:56 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik
What a waste of $5 mill....
Nah. He could be the team's worst player (which he hasn't been) and it still be arguably a wash.

Remember, we got a 3rd round pick for eating the contract. Secondly, I'm sure him coming over has generated an untold sum of money for the Kings. From merchandise (I saw more JR jersey's than any other current King at the ACC), ticket sales, increased t.v. ratings and helping the Kings gain more media exposure, he has been a success. This deal was as much for business reasons as it was for on-ice purposes.

Plus, let's not write him off on-ice yet. I suspect his most valuable contributions are likely to be seen in the months of April. (and hopefully beyond)

Old
12-08-2005, 06:23 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by willie
I suspect his most valuable contributions are likely to be seen in the months of April. (and hopefully beyond)
Is he good at planning golf outings?

Old
12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Is he good at planning golf outings?
I know it's hip to be pessimistic and all but surely you don't expect the Kings to miss the playoffs altogether?

Old
12-08-2005, 06:55 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
I know it's hip to be pessimistic and all but surely you don't expect the Kings to miss the playoffs altogether?
If they don't work on their special teams and get their ***** in gear then yeah, I don't think they'll make the playoffs.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:08 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh?
If they don't work on their special teams and get their ***** in gear then yeah, I don't think they'll make the playoffs.
I don't know about "hip to be pessimistic" but I have followed this team for long enough to know that it doesn't have the necessary magic to compete for the grand prize. I think it's a pretty decent team, but to ask two rookie (essentially) goaltenders to shoulder a load come playoff time is absurd. To ask a team that can't figure out how to set up a power play (much less score on one, or not give up a crucial shorthanded goal on one) to go deep into the playoffs is equally absurd.

This team has as good a chance of not making the playoffs as it does of making them. And, of course, once they get there, they have to play even better. I don't see them getting much past the first round, but if that's being pessimistic, I guess I'm a hip kinda guy.

Calgary just passed Vancouver... Buffalo is currently the league's hottest team (I know, not our conference)... San Jose is going to be stronger than they showed in the early part of the season... Like it or not, Anaheim could get healthy quick, and don't dismiss the play of teams like Edmonton, or Colorado... Nashville was BUILT for the new NHL, and they have perhaps the best goaltender in the game... To say the Kings are a shoo-in for the playoffs is myopic in nature, and prematurely optimistic by all reasonable shadow of a doubt.

Interesting to see how this will unfold, but I couldn't begin to predict the results.

Old
12-08-2005, 07:16 PM
jfont

Awards:
Quote:
Nah. He could be the team's worst player (which he hasn't been) and it still be arguably a wash.

Remember, we got a 3rd round pick for eating the contract. Secondly, I'm sure him coming over has generated an untold sum of money for the Kings. From merchandise (I saw more JR jersey's than any other current King at the ACC), ticket sales, increased t.v. ratings and helping the Kings gain more media exposure, he has been a success. This deal was as much for business reasons as it was for on-ice purposes.

Plus, let's not write him off on-ice yet. I suspect his most valuable contributions are likely to be seen in the months of April. (and hopefully beyond)
or maybe as a package deal in february for a first line defenseman...

12-08-2005, 07:43 PM
willie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I don't know about "hip to be pessimistic" but I have followed this team for long enough to know that it doesn't have the necessary magic to compete for the grand prize.
I wasn't suggesting a Cup victory. Just merely a playoff berth. And as cliche as it sounds, once you get there anything can happen. It's entire within the realm of posisibility that this team could win a playoff round. (or more)

Quote:
I think it's a pretty decent team, but to ask two rookie (essentially) goaltenders to shoulder a load come playoff time is absurd.
How confident would you have been with Roloson/Fernandez? Yet Minny went to the WCF with that tandem. Kiprusoff was just as green as these two when the Flames went to the Cup. Obviously our goaltending situation is far from ideal for the playoffs but they are playing reasonably well right now and it's silly to write them off before they even get the chance. Barbs has a Calder Cup and Garon is (or perhaps was) the hip choice throughout the league to be the "next Kipper". Most importantly, this year's is not going to be the best Kings team we'll see in the next 5 years. If (more likely when) we reach the playoffs, it makes sense to give these guys a chance and see what we've got going ahead into the future. And they very well may surprise.

Quote:
To ask a team that can't figure out how to set up a power play (much less score on one, or not give up a crucial shorthanded goal on one) to go deep into the playoffs is equally absurd.
I can't disagree here. At the ACC the other day, I was terrified everytime we got a powerplay. If this team is going to mount any challenge in the playoffs, they'll have to improve the powerplay. The only thing we can do now is hope that between now and April, that area will improve.

Quote:
I don't see them getting much past the first round, but if that's being pessimistic, I guess I'm a hip kinda guy.
I'd agree that they probably have a better chance of losing in the first round than they do of winning. My pessisimistic reference was that you implied they weren't going to make it all. This team has been one of the best eight in the conference thus far and I don't see that changing.

Quote:
To say the Kings are a shoo-in for the playoffs is myopic in nature, and prematurely optimistic by all reasonable shadow of a doubt.
Nobody said shoo-in. I'm a Kings fan, I'm well versed of this teams inglorius past. It'd be absurd to say this team is assured of the post-season. That said, I'd certainly bet that it is more likely they make it than not. However, expecting that this team will not even make the playoffs is a pessimistic outlook.

Things that seem to get lost in the midst of our recent struggles. This team went the entire first quarter of the season without losing back to back games. Ottawa is the only other team in the league to claim that title. In fact, during that period, I would suggest the Kings were only clearly outplayed in 1 game. (4-0 loss to Phx) Other than that game the Kings either outplayed the opposition or the game was a tossup as to who controlled the action. This team was a model of consistency through the first quarter.

And while the team has looked poor recently, every team in the league (besides Ottawa) goes through similar patches. That Nashville team you herald (And rightly so, they've got a nice lineup. But I question their team toughness come playoffs.) lost five consecutive games. The Red Wings lost four consecutive. I'm sure I could continue with every team.

This team is hardly perfect. But on paper and on the ice (so far) they are a playoff-worthy team.

Last edited by willie: 12-08-2005 at 07:48 PM.
Old
12-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Osprey

JR probably just about assured his place at home this Olympics with that interview. You don't want a player who puts himself ahead of the team, nor one who would (even jokingly) cheer for your chief rival if he's not picked. This is the ugly side of JR that is rearing its head -- the side that helped trash an Olympic hotel room in '98. I hope he realizes the jerk he's coming across as and stuffs it away from now on. That bitterness will only hurt his reputation, his chance to make Team USA and, especially, his chance to rebound in the 2nd half with the Kings.

Old
12-09-2005, 12:34 AM
uclaw

I just lost all respect for JR; that's unbelievable. Bure made it clear that he won't pick any Russian players who don't want to play for Russia. Hopefully the USA will not pick any players who want to be picked so bad... they will support a rival country if they don't get their way.

Old
12-09-2005, 12:18 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
This team is hardly perfect. But on paper and on the ice (so far) they are a playoff-worthy team.
There are teams that may be "playoff worthy" that don't make the top 16. I could argue and say that with their special teams as piss poor as they are, the Kings are NOT playoff worthy, but given that, I could agree with you and say they are, and that is still no guarantee they make the playoffs in the parity laden "new" NHL.

P.S. I'm sure Coach Laviolette was in awe of JR's magnificent performance last night and put him down in ink as a definite... to sit home and watch the Olympics.

Old
12-09-2005, 12:57 PM
Game Misconduct

I guess I need to pick up my new Roenick jersey so I can wear it on Saturday.

You guys disappoint me. Especially you, tubby. Wishing injuries on players is not cool.

Old
12-09-2005, 04:31 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game Misconduct
I guess I need to pick up my new Roenick jersey so I can wear it on Saturday.

You guys disappoint me. Especially you, tubby. Wishing injuries on players is not cool.
Nothing life threatening... just something to keep him off the ice for the rest of the season would be fine.

Old
12-09-2005, 04:40 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Anyone remember the last time Roenick looked like the player in this video?

Roenick's Heyday

When you watch that, and then look at the player he has become today, it makes one wonder what has become of him. Too bad he won't do the organization a favor and bow down, just as Brett Hull did.

Hull knew his time had come, and we saw what happened during the World Cup with Hull, and now the same crap is happening with JR. He needs to learn that his time has come and passed and the player he is today is a shell of what he used to be.

Old
12-09-2005, 05:52 PM
Quattro

It was also nice to hear he was skipping practice today to got shoot a TV pilot unbelievable...

Old
12-10-2005, 12:42 AM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro
It was also nice to hear he was skipping practice today to got shoot a TV pilot unbelievable...
Good lord. I wish the Kings would just buy him out. I know it will still count against the cap, but at least we wouldn't have to deal with him and his excuses anymore.

Closed Thread