HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hudler

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Higgy4

vCash: 500
Hudler

Hudler played 2:58 seconds tonight.

Bring somebody else up or use Mowers for this type of crap. Dont let this kid waste away on the pine. And tonight was against the Caps too. If he cant get 10-13 minutes in games like this then he shouldnt be up.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:49 PM
JonathanTwinkleToews
is a Canuck fan.

I think he got injured or benched. He didn't play a single shift after half-way past the 1st period.

Old
12-09-2005, 09:51 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brule
I think he got injured or benched. He didn't play a single shift after half-way past the 1st period.
He didnt get injured or benched. Well...he was benched...but it wasnt for bad play. Babcock simply played 3 lines the last 2 periods. I think Yzerman only had 1 shift after the 1st period also.

Hudler cant be sitting like this. He needs to be playing. If not here, than in the AHL.

Old
12-09-2005, 10:52 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
He got just under ten minutes vs the Devils, though, right? I think tonight was a case of him being the oddman out in forming lines to combat Washington's speed and physical play. It sucks, but I can see why he's the one that got pushed down the depth chart. The only real gripe I have is that he still should have gotten power play time.

I don't think he fits well with Datsyuk, though.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:11 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
He got just under ten minutes vs the Devils, though, right? I think tonight was a case of him being the oddman out in forming lines to combat Washington's speed and physical play. It sucks, but I can see why he's the one that got pushed down the depth chart. The only real gripe I have is that he still should have gotten power play time.

I don't think he fits well with Datsyuk, though.

Well, other than Z and Hull, Datsyuk hasn't fouind much chemistry with anyone. I wouldn't write off a hudler-Datsyuk connection yet.

Pretty effin' lame to bench Hudler against the Caps.

I get the feeling Babcock doesn't like the kid.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:37 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
He didnt get injured or benched. Well...he was benched...but it wasnt for bad play. Babcock simply played 3 lines the last 2 periods. I think Yzerman only had 1 shift after the 1st period also.

Hudler cant be sitting like this. He needs to be playing. If not here, than in the AHL.
Actually it was just Hudler who was benched. Yzerman didn't get a ton of IT, just short of 7 minutes, but he took several shifts in the 2nd & 3rd with Datsyuk & Shanahan.

I'm with NGO, I think Babcock just doesn't like Hudler. Babs probably didn't see enough effort out of Jiri in the 1st so he rode the pine. Maybe this is a sign he'll be sent down, maybe not. If this happens again tho I'm sure he's headed to GR.

What was up with Woolley? He also didn't take a shift after the midway point of the 1st. Did I miss an injury? Groin again???

Old
12-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
Actually it was just Hudler who was benched. Yzerman didn't get a ton of IT, just short of 7 minutes, but he took several shifts in the 2nd & 3rd with Datsyuk & Shanahan.

I'm with NGO, I think Babcock just doesn't like Hudler. Babs probably didn't see enough effort out of Jiri in the 1st so he rode the pine. Maybe this is a sign he'll be sent down, maybe not. If this happens again tho I'm sure he's headed to GR.

What was up with Woolley? He also didn't take a shift after the midway point of the 1st. Did I miss an injury? Groin again???
Good, send him down then. This cannot be good for Hudlers confidence to get benched for the final 2 periods of a game versus one of the worst 2-3 teams in the NHL. Sure...the Caps played well tonight, but if he can get 10+ minutes against the Devils he should be able to see atleast that much time against the Caps too.

Good question on Woolley. I didnt even realize that he missed most of the game until you brought it up.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:53 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack

Woolley was out there in the second because he was the guy who pinched on the shorty.

If Babcock doesn't like Hudler's effort, then he's a moron. Hudler was skating around, working in the corners on all three of his shifts.
And he looked good against Jersey.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Good, send him down then. This cannot be good for Hudlers confidence to get benched for the final 2 periods of a game versus one of the worst 2-3 teams in the NHL. Sure...the Caps played well tonight, but if he can get 10+ minutes against the Devils he should be able to see atleast that much time against the Caps too.

Good question on Woolley. I didnt even realize that he missed most of the game until you brought it up.

Hudler was benched for most of the third in the Devils game.

I think he's had three or four shifts in the last four periods.

It's Dave Clueless all over again.

Old
12-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Higgy4

Yeah, I just checked. Woolley had 2 shifts in the 2nd periond and 1 short shift in the 3rd.

I think maybe he got benched because of the shorty.

Old
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Woolley was out there in the second because he was the guy who pinched on the shorty.

If Babcock doesn't like Hudler's effort, then he's a moron. Hudler was skating around, working in the corners on all three of his shifts.
And he looked good against Jersey.
I actually didn't notice Woolley was the one that got cought pinching in. But you are right. Now that I've looked at a shift chart I see that Jason took 2 shifts in the 2nd and 1 in the 3rd. So he slipped out there a few times but his IT took a major nosedive after the middle of the 1st period. It's just so flippin weird to treat a veteran defenseman that way.

And you won't get any arguement from me on Hudler's effort, but that's a recurring theme with Babcock. Even if a guy is trying hard, if Babs doesn't think they are he's going to sit them. And Babs has already gone on record saying Hudler needs to put in more effort on a consistent basis. Otherwise I can't think of a single possible motive for benching Jiri like he did.

Old
12-10-2005, 12:01 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Yeah, I just checked. Woolley had 2 shifts in the 2nd periond and 1 short shift in the 3rd.

I think maybe he got benched because of the shorty.
Could be. Babcock needs to settle down with his line matching and changing and shortening, etc.

You gotta play to find a groove.
It ain't like baseball, where you can come off the bench and get a pinch hit.
Hockey's all about being part of the flow, or dictating the flow.

You can't do that playing 5 minutes a night.

Old
12-10-2005, 12:52 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

My first real gripe with Babcock. Kid was working hard out there. No reason for him not to be playing. Wow this really ticked me off

Old
12-10-2005, 01:31 AM
8snake

I'm just not sure how effective Hudler will be on this level. Watching him in his limited time so far this time with the big club he appears to be the same player he was when people in the organization kept saying the kid wasnt ready. I've watched him some this season in G-Raps, and while the numbers he's put up so far are impressive I've been hesitant to get too excited because I knew the time and space he was getting in the AHL wouldnt be there if he got called up. The kid just strikes me as a fringe NHL'er, bordering on career minor leaguer or solid European league guy.

Old
12-10-2005, 09:04 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanCommunications
Well, other than Z and Hull, Datsyuk hasn't fouind much chemistry with anyone. I wouldn't write off a hudler-Datsyuk connection yet.

Pretty effin' lame to bench Hudler against the Caps.

I get the feeling Babcock doesn't like the kid.
I'm still pushing for Williams and Datsyuk to get paired up. Williams' best asset is his shot and Datsyuk should be the best guy to get him the puck in places to use it. Despite his size, Hudler looks like a real north-south player and doesn't appear to fit well with Datsyuk's keep away game.

The guy I'd like to see Hudler paired with is Lang, when he gets back. They meshed well in the preseason and watching Hudler play now, he looks like someone who could compliment Lang well. plus, it could give us three decent scoring lines:

Zetterberg-Shanny
Datsyuk-Williams
Lang-Hudler
Draper-Maltby

then mix and match down the remaining wing with the remaining forwards. One of Cleary, Samuelsson, Franzen and Yzerman would have to be benched, though...

Old
12-10-2005, 11:09 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8snake
I'm just not sure how effective Hudler will be on this level. Watching him in his limited time so far this time with the big club he appears to be the same player he was when people in the organization kept saying the kid wasnt ready. I've watched him some this season in G-Raps, and while the numbers he's put up so far are impressive I've been hesitant to get too excited because I knew the time and space he was getting in the AHL wouldnt be there if he got called up. The kid just strikes me as a fringe NHL'er, bordering on career minor leaguer or solid European league guy.

And how can you reach this opinion by watching him play 2 periods against the Devils and 2:58 seconds last night? Watching him in the AHL is one thing. But you cant get a firm grasp on somebodys talent level by seeing them play about 14 minutes in the NHL. Which is about what he has played so far in 3 periods of hockey.

The point is still the same however. Why even bring him up to sit like this? Your boy Mowers was doing a fine job sitting or playing 5 minutes a night. No sense in Hudler being called up to simply take Mowers role, which is essentially what he is doing.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:52 AM
8snake

I've played and watched enough hockey to have a feel for a guys ability, and likelihood of success regardless of ice time. Hudler is 5'8...and watching him play in G-raps even that may be a tad generous. Given his size, name for me another smallish player in the NHL that is an average to below average skater. I'm not talking about a star like St. Louis, ANY player 5'8 and under. Go ahead. Gionta, Walker, Sullivan....there is NO player in the league Hudler's size that isnt an exceptional skater. Commom knowledge in the NHL is if you are small, you better be able to skate. There is nothing else in Hudler's game that can compensate for his poor skating. He's a very creative, crafty kid with slick moves and a decent touch....but those positives in his game dont make up for his lack of size and speed. Either Hudler works like hell on his skating or he wont be in the league, simple as that.

Old
12-10-2005, 11:56 AM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Are you kidding?
The kid looks good to me.

He's skating hard (those short strides don't get him anywhere real fast though)
He's buzzing. He's working in the corners.

He's had about 10 shifts so far. And one of them, in the Jersey game, was tremendous.

IMO, I think his icetime was cut after Jersey scored the goal after the faceoff. Datsyuk tied up his guy, but Hudler didn't get to the loose puck fast enough.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:51 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Any explanation given? I didn't see anything in the papers.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:20 PM
8snake

Tin, you say he's working in the corners....Hudler isnt going to stick on this team or in the NHL because of his effort along the boards. I think "buzzing" is much to strong a word to describe even his best shifts. At best he's looked O.K. It's obvious Babcock put Cleary on the Datsyuk line to add some defensive presence to counter Hanlon's strategy of using the Ovechkin line against Pav's line. And I must say that Pav's line looked much better with Cleary up there...but that in itself is not a knock on Hudler. I said after the Devil game Hudler with Datsyuk looks good in theory, but not on the ice.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:36 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
I've played and watched enough hockey to have a feel for a guys ability, and likelihood of success regardless of ice time. Hudler is 5'8...and watching him play in G-raps even that may be a tad generous. Given his size, name for me another smallish player in the NHL that is an average to below average skater. I'm not talking about a star like St. Louis, ANY player 5'8 and under. Go ahead. Gionta, Walker, Sullivan....there is NO player in the league Hudler's size that isnt an exceptional skater. Commom knowledge in the NHL is if you are small, you better be able to skate. There is nothing else in Hudler's game that can compensate for his poor skating. He's a very creative, crafty kid with slick moves and a decent touch....but those positives in his game dont make up for his lack of size and speed. Either Hudler works like hell on his skating or he wont be in the league, simple as that.
Well...if you say so. I am curious. Given your knack for judging ability I am amazed you are not an NHL scout of some sort.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:49 PM
Higgy4

Quote:
Many of us on here have played and watched enough hockey to give opinions on ability also. You are not alone in that group.

You bring up some good names there. Gionta is a good skater...not exceptional. Sullivan is a good skater...not exceptional. Walker? I assume you mean Scott Walker? If so, he is a good skater, but by no means is his skating one of his best assets. And you also mention St.Louis. I dont consider any of these guys to be among the leagues best skaters. Its all about talent and work ethic with small guys too. Hudlers work ethic has been questioned by Babcock this year. That would be the only hurdle I think he needs to clear to be a good NHL player. I am no talking about a superstar by any means. Simply a good NHL hockey player. Hudler has the tools to be just that.

Funny that StLouis was given up on by atleast 2 teams. Sullivan was given up on by atleast 2 teams. I wonder if someday people will be saying the same thing about Hudler? I dont know...its TOO EARLY to tell.

Which is my main point. You cant tell squat about a guy by the way he slumps his shoulders while riding the pine.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:48 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Given his size, name for me another smallish player in the NHL that is an average to below average skater. .

Mike Riberio

He's listed to be taller but trust me... he's no bigger... and riberio put up 65 points playing as a 2nd line center in 03-04 as a 24 year old

I hope they will just deal hudler if he's not in babcock's plans cuz I have him in my pool of prospects

Mind you,Babcock is not the only coach strangely benching youngsters... there's alot of habs fans wondering why perezhogin is only getting like 2 minutes of ice time when he looks so good out there on his rare shifts.

My opinion on this is that Hudler has done some thin behind the scenes that upset babcock... and I dont think bab is the type of coach to slam him in a public manner...

Old
12-11-2005, 05:41 AM
HOCKEY_GURU

well hudler played in GR tonight...anyone surprised?

Old
12-11-2005, 08:49 AM
Winger98
powers combined

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOCKEY_GURU
well hudler played in GR tonight...anyone surprised?
Howard was sent down to GR, also. It's just the wings saving as much money as possible by sending them to GR as often as possible.

Closed Thread