HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Here's What Happened At "Breakfast With The Kings"

Closed Thread

Old
12-09-2005, 03:17 PM
CBGB

vCash: 500
Here's What Happened At "Breakfast With The Kings"

This morning at the Toyota Training center, the Kings held their 2nd "Breakfast with the Kings" for the fans of Los Angeles

It was nicely packed, I would guess 275-325, the food was “continental” style and Kings GM Dave Taylor, Assistant GM Kevin Gilmore and Kings Coach Andy Murray all spoke along with a special guest who had been lurking who came out to address the fans (if you want to cheat, see transcript at the bottom)

They pretty much said the same “build from within” philosophy. Gilmore spoke about Manchester and how they were surprised how well they were doing given the youth of the team.

First up to answer questions was Dave Taylor: (I’ve edited some of the questions and comments)

CBGB:“A couple of things the fans at letsgokings.com (blatant plug) would like to know is, what happened with the Ziggy Palffy negotiations? Is it that he just didn’t want to play here? You didn’t offer him a 3rd year?

Also, now that we know Val Bure is out for a while, are you going to replace him?”

DT:”As most people in here know, we offered Ziggy Palffy a three year contract right at the end of the last season before the lockout which was rejected. We did talk to Ziggy after July 1st and we were interested in bringing him back. The indication we got from his agent was he was looking for more money than what he had turned down with us the first time around and that didn’t make economic sense for us. After we had signed Demitra, we did go back to Ziggy and talk to him about a shorter term deal and I think it was about that time he got the offer from Pittsburgh and he eventually signed with them.”

“Are we going to replace Bure? We’re certainly hoping that we get Val back and give him the opportunity to play for our team. He really hasn’t had any history of a back injury and for him not to play in any games is certainly disappointing for him but also discppointing for us. The first thing we’d like to see is him get his health back. If we can get him back in 8 to 10 weeks, I think he can really give us a lift on the back end. “

”But we do have some flexibility with our budget. We have a payroll now that would be from a cap perspective just under 35 million, so we do have room and if we have the opportunity to add the right player, from an offensive point of view or to help on our power play we would look into that.”

QUESTION: “Are you happy with our defense?”

DT: “I would say, up to this point we’ve been very happy with our defense. We were concerned that we didn’t have a lot of depth there, but we haven’t… knock on wood… we haven’t had a lot of injuries to defense so far. We’ve been getting good offense from Lubomir early on… one of the areas we look at is how can we improve the power play, and the coaching staff works on that every day. In general, I like our defensive corp. If we could add a little offense back there, it would certainly help.”

QUESTION: "We need a power play quarterback"

DT: "Other teams in the NHL have had an opportunity to watch us and they’ve made a lot of adjustements that we haven’t been able to overcome. We have the personnel, but this an area that I’ve been looking at and if we have an opportunity to add an offensive minded D, we would do that."

QUESTION: "We have a marvelously talented player who can skate and hit, but how you can control the mouth of Sean Avery?"

Laughter

DT: "We’ve uh… we’ve had a lot of discussions with Sean."

QUESTION: "Comment on the injuries to Parros and Flinn"

DT: "George is back skating now. High ankle sprains have been real tough to deal with but we hope that he’s back within a couple of weeks."

"Ryan Flinn hit his head and had a concussion from that episode. He’s having some problems right now with his balance and they’ve been running a lot of test on him. We don’t have a time frame for him."

Andy Murray comes to the podium, talks about the recent string of games and then answered a few questions

QUESTION: "Will we ever see your son and you on the bench together?"

AM: "I guess that depends on how long I can hang on to my job here! Brady’s playing in Switzerland. People don’t understand… I’ve read different things on the websites… why did he go over there and leave school and was he having academic… he didn’t want to leave school… we were in Switzerland when he was three and I got him a Swiss license and the rule in the Swiss federation says that if your first license is in Switzerland you can always play as an import, but you have to play before you turn 21 in the pro league or you’re ineligible. They pay well, too. He’s got to continue to develop and become a better player. He’s got some ability but he needs to work on is game.

My daughter’s a pretty good player!"

QUESTION: "Is it possible to play “Saturday Night Fever” BEFORE the game to get Jeremy Roenick into the game?"

AM: "Jeremy’s got a lot of pride and he’ll be the first one to tell you that he needs to play better, and we need Jeremy to play better. We brought him in here to be our #1 center. He’s not hiding from the fact that he needs to play better, but I’ve got to hold these players accountable. The better he plays, the more ice time you’re gonna get. You probably saw in the game last night that some guys that usually play quite a bit weren’t playing in the 3rd period and I owe that to you as fans to make sure that the people that are on the ice are putting out all the time. I thought Jeff Cowan last night. I thought Brownie… how good has that line been for us? They just work every single night. I thought they deserved to be on the ice and some of the other guys didn’t."

QUESTION: "The power play is just not there. I would like to think the team is actively searching for somebody that can help our power play."

AM: "Those personnel things are Dave’s area, and they work all the time to see what’s on the market and what’s available. We work with the guys we’ve got. Your power play is only as good as your best players are playing. We’ve got to get some of our guys stepping up and getting the job done. We’ve go to find a way, when our defenseman have the puck at the blue line, and you have a shooting lane to the goal, to shoot the puck! Last night, our last 3 power plays we did generate quite a few chances. Right now we’re having trouble putting the puck in the net."

"All of the questions you have, all of your concerns you have… let me tell you, we’re working on it. We’re not just sitting back and letting things slide here. I had 3 or 4 guys in my office this morning for meetings. "

Sean Avery then stopped by to speak for a few minutes with the fans!

SA: "I know I wanted to get up and leave after the 1st period last night. For you guys to stay and keep the seats filled and then coming on in the 3rd and hearing you guys, that’s what we need. Sometimes that’s the difference maker in the games and I just wanted to thank everybody for that.

We had a good first 6 weeks and now we’ve had a little bit of a tough time the last couple of weeks. I certainly don’t let anybody feel too good about themselves for too long, and I let them know when things are going bad. We’re trying to get things better."

QUESTION: “Will you be vacationing in Ottawa anytime soon?”

SA: (laughs) "No. Only there on a work basis. No, I won’t be vacationing there."

QUESTION: "How do you like the (What Would Avery Do) T-Shirts?"

SA: "They’re great! I see them all over the place. I think it’s great for the charity, but I might have to charge a commission to pay for all the fines I’m gonna get".

Old
12-09-2005, 04:53 PM
KingTin

Thanks! Nice read.

Old
12-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
So basically no defenseman anytime soon.

Old
12-09-2005, 04:58 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
So basically no defenseman anytime soon.
No defense, no offense, no nothing...All is fine and Andy Murray's daughter will replace Flinn on the roster...

Old
12-09-2005, 04:58 PM
Osprey

Very good post. Thanks a lot.

Some thoughts:

It's good to hear that DT is interested in bringing in an "offensive-minded D," especially to improve the powerplay. I don't know why a few of you think he's not going after D. He dropped more than enough hints that he's looking. It also sounds like he may pursue an offensive forward (to replace Bure, though he wouldn't say that).

Regarding the powerplay, DT says that "we have the personnel" and then immediately contradicts himself by suggesting that they could use a powerplay quarterback. Just before that, he says that "other teams in the NHL have... made a lot of adjustments that we haven’t been able to overcome." Who's job is it to overcome adjustments? It's the coaches'. Perhaps the problem is with the PP strategy, not the personnel; you think?

Again, AM implies that the team's PP strategy is spot-on and it's all the fault of players for not executing. Then he goes on to suggest that he's happy with the PP for generating scoring chances and it's as simple a problem as not finishing. As we all know, the PP problems go way beyond just finishing!

Again, very interesting and revealing transcript. Thanks.

Old
12-09-2005, 05:26 PM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Regarding the powerplay, DT says that "we have the personnel" and then immediately contradicts himself by suggesting that they could use a powerplay quarterback. Just before that, he says that "other teams in the NHL have... made a lot of adjustments that we haven’t been able to overcome." Who's job is it to overcome adjustments? It's the coaches'. Perhaps the problem is with the PP strategy, not the personnel; you think?
Actually, I think it's a pretty good combination of the two, but I stand by my statement that the day Mathieu Schneider left the equation is the day the PP went into the toilet.

Old
12-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
Actually, I think it's a pretty good combination of the two, but I stand by my statement that the day Mathieu Schneider left the equation is the day the PP went into the toilet.
The last two great powerplay quarterbacks (the Kings had 2 of the top 10!) and overall leaders that the team has had got fed-up with the team while under AM's tenure. Makes you go hmm.

Old
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
jeffreyaa

Guys on the team better start getting nervous. Things have to change quick, we can't keep waiting forever for them to snap out of it. Number one change I'd like to see RIGHT NOW [really 2 years ago] is Van Boxmeer being shown the door. He's probably a lovely man, but for us to struggle as badly as we have on the PP during his tenure - especially now, w/the talent he's got to play around with - he's got to go. The curse of being a coach- it's easier to send a message that way than break up a team.

Old
12-09-2005, 06:16 PM
kingsfan25

Were the questions screened before you guys asked them?

Because, on Lgk (sorry, I know we're not supposed to mention them) a lot of guys were calling or someone to ask about Van Boxmeer.

Old
12-09-2005, 06:49 PM
CBGB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25

Because, on Lgk (sorry, I know we're not supposed to mention them) a lot of guys were calling or someone to ask about Van Boxmeer.
VB questions were for AM and I had my hand raised when AM spoke, but since I had already burned my time on the mic with DT, the mic guy quickly ran to the back end of the room.

Old
12-09-2005, 07:02 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB
VB questions were for AM and I had my hand raised when AM spoke, but since I had already burned my time on the mic with DT, the mic guy quickly ran to the back end of the room.

you need to pick your spots better... man, you should've been bobbin' & weavin'!!!

Old
12-09-2005, 07:14 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabwat
you need to pick your spots better... man, you should've been bobbin' & weavin'!!!
Hey, take it easy on CBGB. We all know he's got the talent to deke out the mic guy and score us some hard-hitting questions. He's just been mired by footwear problems. You see, he likes his shoes treaded a special way and certain people can't seem to get the treads right. It might take him about 20-25 breakfasts to get acclimated. But things'll turn around...he knows they will.

Last edited by kingsfan25: 12-09-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old
12-09-2005, 08:28 PM
jeffreyaa

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25

Agreed. Personally, by now I don't care about the Ziggy negotiations, and certainly not about Brady Murray. I would want to hear about:

1] Improving: the slump, coaching [Van Boxmeer....], JR and Luc's performance, team toughness, the amount of penalties we're taking, etc

2] Thoughts on: goaltending, young Kings development [Cammy, Brownie, Gleason, Fro], prospect development [Grebs, Tuk, Tambs, Lehoux, Petiot, Kanko, Pushky], etc

3] Keeping Avery focused on hockey, AND defending him for the good player he is

4] Pleasant surprises like EBel

Last edited by jeffreyaa: 12-09-2005 at 08:33 PM.
Old
12-09-2005, 09:04 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBGB

QUESTION: "Comment on the injuries to Parros and Flinn"

DT: "George is back skating now. High ankle sprains have been real tough to deal with but we hope that he’s back within a couple of weeks."

"Ryan Flinn hit his head and had a concussion from that episode. He’s having some problems right now with his balance and they’ve been running a lot of test on him. We don’t have a time frame for him."
That right there tells me that we will be without an enforcer for awhile.

No time frame for Flinn = he's done for the season.

Please get another enforcer DT, at least someone to play in Manchester!

Old
12-09-2005, 09:33 PM
Johnny Utah

Agreed. He should at least add someone for Manchester.

Just like the Kings to say they are happy with what we have. I like our forwards too, but the D is far from good and will be even worse next year when Matty and Miller are one year older...

Old
12-09-2005, 10:16 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
Very good post. Thanks a lot.

Some thoughts:

It's good to hear that DT is interested in bringing in an "offensive-minded D," especially to improve the powerplay. I don't know why a few of you think he's not going after D. He dropped more than enough hints that he's looking. It also sounds like he may pursue an offensive forward (to replace Bure, though he wouldn't say that).

Again, AM implies that the team's PP strategy is spot-on and it's all the fault of players for not executing. Then he goes on to suggest that he's happy with the PP for generating scoring chances and it's as simple a problem as not finishing. As we all know, the PP problems go way beyond just finishing!

Again, very interesting and revealing transcript. Thanks.
Sounds like they said what everyone wanted to hear and then contradicted themselves. Classic speaking out of the side of the mouth. Unfortunately, I don't expect to see any changes anytime soon. And that's a shame as the PP or should I say lack of PP is killing us and will continue to kill us.

Closed Thread