HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's not the end of the world people

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 06:45 AM
metallicat

vCash: 500
It's not the end of the world people

I wish the complaining would stop, at least until we get 10 games into the season or something. I would rather them have a small scoring slump right now than in the middle of the season where it always hurts us. The fact that we haven't scored in two games doesn't really bother me, because we did score 5 goals in game one. Give us a little time, and we will be popping them into the net.

This is my first year at HF Boards, does it always get this negative after losses? I say we all need to relax, and stop calling for a Comrie deal immediately.

Old
10-15-2003, 06:59 AM
Oilers Hockey

I know its only 3 games in, I simply wish they could have put more effort into beating our obvious rivals. I was pumped for both games, they should have been too. All I'm complaining about is the lack of effort.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:01 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I wish the complaining would stop, at least until we get 10 games into the season or something. I would rather them have a small scoring slump right now than in the middle of the season where it always hurts us. The fact that we haven't scored in two games doesn't really bother me, because we did score 5 goals in game one. Give us a little time, and we will be popping them into the net.

This is my first year at HF Boards, does it always get this negative after losses? I say we all need to relax, and stop calling for a Comrie deal immediately.

It's not the loss, I can handle losing. I can't handle the complete lack of emotion and fire. Also the skating. For the "fastest team in the league" we sure are getting beat to a lot of pucks.

I don't care if we go 5 games without scoring, as long as we are playing our game and not some bastardized version of the Wild's.

OILERS HOCKEY = SKATE - HIT - SCORE. It is exciting and fast paced - the last 2 snoozefests I watched were boring and not fun at all. And infact we have really only played 1 period of Oilers hockey this year. I really hope the managment wakes up and realizes that the Oilers are popular for the style they play, not the results they get.

I love my Oil and always have, but they have to play their style of hockey. I now know what a Wild fan feels like, minus the winning.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark
It's not the loss, I can handle losing. I can't handle the complete lack of emotion and fire. Also the skating. For the "fastest team in the league" we sure are getting beat to a lot of pucks.

I don't care if we go 5 games without scoring, as long as we are playing our game and not some bastardized version of the Wild's.

OILERS HOCKEY = SKATE - HIT - SCORE. It is exciting and fast paced - the last 2 snoozefests I watched were boring and not fun at all. And infact we have really only played 1 period of Oilers hockey this year. I really hope the managment wakes up and realizes that the Oilers are popular for the style they play, not the results they get.

I love my Oil and always have, but they have to play their style of hockey. I now know what a Wild fan feels like, minus the winning.
My thoughts exactly.... I don't think people are calling for Comrie to be traded right away, either. Just talking about what it looks like we will be needing after three games - you can start to get a tiny little glimpse (but no conclusions until about 15-20 games in). Whatever happens with the Comrie situation he'll be signed or traded around the 15-20 game mark, or else we won't see him ALL year. I would LOVE to see the Oilers use the 4.5 he made last year and go out and sign Berard and Oates - that would solve all our problems and we'd still have Comrie that we could use at the draft to try and get the first overall pick to nab Ovechkin

Old
10-15-2003, 07:36 AM
Dr_Gonz0

vCash: 830
Quote:

True, but look at our next 4 games, if we keep at the current rate, a win against BUF possibbly, then we face COL, STL, and COL again, YIKES~! We could end up gonig 2-5 after this stretch quite easily. :mad:

Old
10-15-2003, 07:42 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Gonz0
True, but look at our next 4 games, if we keep at the current rate, a win against BUF possibbly, then we face COL, STL, and COL again, YIKES~! We could end up gonig 2-5 after this stretch quite easily. :mad:
Yes, we have positioned ourselves marvelously to start the season in a hole. We need the Buffalo game and one of the Avs games - and then cross atleast a point against St. Louis - if we can do that through the next stretch I'll be pleased. I think 3 points in those three games should be our goal and 5 points including Buffalo. Anything more then that is bonus. ANything less is bad.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:48 AM
Obsessed

Quote:

I agree. Our team has to break in some new faces. Beregeron, Isbister, Dvorak, Cross, Stoll are all in there first full season with the team. Give them some rope. If at the end of Oct we are still slumping then hit the panic button.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
I agree. Our team has to break in some new faces. Beregeron, Isbister, Dvorak, Cross, Stoll are all in there first full season with the team. Give them some rope. If at the end of Oct we are still slumping then hit the panic button.
Yep, some of the new guys deserve some slack, especially Dvo. But Isbister HAS played well - he just hasn't been able to make that last move or perfect shot yet - but that'll come. Cross how ever is being asked of to much. This guy IS NOT a top pairing Dman!!! He's a 13-15 minute/game or Press box sitter. Not a bloody 20 min/game. MacT is so blinded by his love of older guys who bring nothing to the table, but don't often make REALLY costly mistakes it hurts (Cleary, Pisani, Cross)

Old
10-15-2003, 08:08 AM
oilflash

I don't think lack of scoring is the major problem at the moment. In today's NHL, if you don't have consistent and well tuned specialty teams, i.e., power play and penalty killing, you're never likely to see the sweet side of a Stanley Cup.

Right now, the Oilers have neither. Let's face it, if you haven't got a decent power play, no team is going to think twice about taking the obstruction hooking or interference call to prevent a possible goal.The logic is, why not, what's the worst that could happen here--maybe we get a shortie??? Until the Oilers put together a power play line that invokes fear or respect from the other teams, they will continue to be the victims of the scoring chances that might have been. Even the best scorers can't make the shot once they've been hauled down.

Let's make Craig Simpson work more than an hour each practice please.

My 2 cents.

Old
10-15-2003, 10:16 AM
hmminvisiblecola1279
I just hope we can

very excellent points oilflash. last year the oilers were lucky to make the playoffs with that horrible embarrassment of a powerplay and that killed them once again in the playoffs. this year is no different, if it does not improve the oilers most likely will be on the outside looking in.
the powerplay is predictable and there is no puck movement whatsoever. watch teams with a good powerplay like detroit or vancouver the players are always moving as is the puck. standing around and watching the play develop is suicide and again the oilers are playing that style this year. simpson should be out there not mact running the powerplay.

Old
10-15-2003, 01:34 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Losing games like that comes back to bite you, plain and simple.

There is no excuse for playing like that, NONE.

We have every right to dog the Oilers very harshly for whatever THAT was last night, it does not matter how many games have been played.

Old
10-15-2003, 05:33 PM
Digger12

Quote:

You're absolutely right, it's not the end of the world; it COULD be the beginning of the end if they get shut out against Buffalo though.

I guess so many of us were starved for some hockey after a long offseason, then comes September...

BANG - Comrie not in camp, still not here.
BANG - Smyth breaks finger, playing out of position.
BANG - York not 100%, playing out of position.
BANG - Pisani playing like someone who just signed a 3 year contract.
BANG - Rita once again fails to force himself on the team.
BANG - Semenov, the guy Lowe referred to during last year's trading deadline as the reason he could get away with trading Niinimaa, has an 'ordinary' training camp and rides the pine for the first 3 games.
BANG - Despite the addition of Simpson, PP looks even WORSE than last year. So is it still the coaching?

Looking for some good news here...

Old
10-15-2003, 07:42 PM
jadeddog

your gonna have to look pretty deep for some good news..... "how are the st. albert saints doing this year?" is probably about how deep your gonna have to look..... everybody is saying "its only been 3 games" etc etc etc..... and they are right, but 2 2/3 of those games have been 2 and 2/3 of the worst games ive seen edmonton play in a long time.... no emotion, no skating, no effort, no results..... everybody is right when they are syaing the season is long and such, but those of us who dont like what we are seeing are also VERY right when we say that the oilers have been VERY VERY VERY VERY....... VERY bad so far this season

Old
10-15-2003, 09:12 PM
MrMackey

I has only been three games, but we haven't looked good in any of the three & the two losses have come against division rivals. We're going to lose more than 2 games this season, so it's obviously not the end of the world. I want Lowe to make the right deal for the Oil, and that may take time, but the coaches have to step up and make some better decisions...

I think these new line combos are just brutal (the ones that start with Torres-Smyth-Hemsky). Does anyone think these lines will stay together for any length of time? It pretty much tells me that MacT is already panicking, and in 3 games time the lines will be put in the blender once again.

There are options here - Rita and Salmo are available for call-up, Semenov is waiting in the PB, the Torres-Laraque experiment has produced results, Hemsky's still creating, and some of the problems are so glaringly obvious they should be easy to fix.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:46 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMackey
Hemsky's still creating.
The problem is that no one is cashing in on his creations! I'm starting to think that the Smyth experiment at center is detracting from his game.. I haven't seen him working the corners or the front of the net at all this season! I think as soon as we see Smyth back on the wing, we'll see more scoresheets with #83 and #94 all over them..

Old
10-15-2003, 10:35 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
The problem is that no one is cashing in on his creations! I'm starting to think that the Smyth experiment at center is detracting from his game.. I haven't seen him working the corners or the front of the net at all this season! I think as soon as we see Smyth back on the wing, we'll see more scoresheets with #83 and #94 all over them..
Smyth is playing injured in case some of you forgot. Remember Bryan Allen slashed him in the preseason. He missed 5 preseason games. I think it mentioned in the paper that it'll be another 3 or 4 weeks before he's fully healthy again.