HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Senators talking trade for Bertuzzi? (Rumor)

Closed Thread

Old
12-11-2005, 11:58 AM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

vCash: 500
Senators talking trade for Bertuzzi? (Rumor)

From Spectors hockey: (www.spectorshockey.net)

BERTUZZI TRADE TALK CONTINUES.

VANCOUVER PROVINCE: Tony Gallagher reports a strong effort by Todd Bertuzzi in the Canucks 3-2 win over the Ottawa Senators has done nothing to quell the trade rumours, but Bertuzzi and his agent insist they're not seeking or thinking about a trade. GM Dave Nonis backed this up, but Gallagher cites an unnamed GM claiming on Thursday that Bertuzzi wants out of Vancouver and the Canucks were talking "face to face" with the Ottawa Senators about either Zdeno Chara or Wade Redden because the Sens can't afford to re-sign both after this season. There remains speculation Bertuzzi could be dealt in a big package to the Florida Panthers for Roberto Luongo but the GMs of both clubs continue to deny those rumours.

Redden...perhaps...Chara...no.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:05 PM
Captain_Cunney

Honestly that makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure they could resign the other one of them for Bertuzzi type money. If money was a factor they would be dealing one of them for a younger cheaper player, not someone in the same age category who makes 5+ mil.

I love Big Bert, but with the way he is playing and the salary he brings with him, I want no part of him. If he doesn't regain his form, you are stuck with an overpaid player that cripples your cap. Keep our d and go get Weight and then pick up another scorer (if needed) at the deadline.

Defence wins championships - keep Chara and Reds (at least for the remainder of this year).

Old
12-11-2005, 12:23 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney
Honestly that makes absolutely no sense. I'm sure they could resign the other one of them for Bertuzzi type money. If money was a factor they would be dealing one of them for a younger cheaper player, not someone in the same age category who makes 5+ mil.

I love Big Bert, but with the way he is playing and the salary he brings with him, I want no part of him. If he doesn't regain his form, you are stuck with an overpaid player that cripples your cap. Keep our d and go get Weight and then pick up another scorer (if needed) at the deadline.

Defence wins championships - keep Chara and Reds (at least for the remainder of this year).
You make some great points...it doesn't really make sense to say the Sens can't afford to re-sign both Chara and Redden, but we can take on Bertuzzi and the $5.2 million cap hit Bertuzzi would put on us next year. Perhaps Chara's people have told Muckler he's looking for max money?

Rumor season is sure picking up...Weight, Nolan, Bertuzzi, Sykora...this is what makes hockey fun.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:26 PM
CheeseSandwich*

don't post stupid rumours that make no sense.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:31 PM
HfxMoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Cunney

That pretty much sums it up.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:37 PM
The Lehner
#LehnerTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbone77
I just posted a rumor with a link to discuss. If you don't want to comment, go somewhere else.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:40 PM
CheeseSandwich*

i do want to comment, and i did.

And allright I shouldn't have told you not to post them, I just think its a dumb trade.

Last edited by CheeseSandwich*: 12-11-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old
12-11-2005, 12:51 PM
Zaddik

Send a message via MSN to Zaddik
Quote:
what makes you the judge of what 'makes sense'? for all we know this rumour may not be showing the entire picture regarding what really is happening.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
DaveMatthew

No offense to Bertuzzi, but currently his worth isn't even close to Redden's or Chara's. 2 years ago it was, but right now, not even close.

I could see Phillips and something else going to Vancouver for him, as Meszaros looks like he can handle to be in the top 4, but still, doesn't Bertuzzi make over 5 million? That alone makes this trade impossible.

Besides, I think we've seen that this team is a lot worse without Redden in the lineup.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:54 PM
CheeseSandwich*

i mean in refence to why they're doing it.

The article says they're making the trade because they don't think they'll be able to sign Redden next year.

Well, as mentioned above by other people, if you can't sign Redden, you can't pay for Bertuzzi.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach
No offense to Bertuzzi, but currently his worth isn't even close to Redden's or Chara's. 2 years ago it was, but right now, not even close.

I could see Phillips and something else going to Vancouver for him, as Meszaros looks like he can handle to be in the top 4, but still, doesn't Bertuzzi make over 5 million? That alone makes this trade impossible.

Besides, I think we've seen that this team is a lot worse without Redden in the lineup.
Since the cap was introduced this year, steals have been available to the team willing to take on salary. The team dumping salary has had their lunch handed to them. Will this trade be the same? Hard to say.

One thing is for sure, I would value Bertuzzi at his alltime high value of a couple years back. Once he's traded I'm expecting him to regain form into one of the most dominant players in the game.

He's like the forward version Zdeno Chara...imagine those two on the same line in Ottawa..... .... I don't see it happening.

Old
12-11-2005, 01:26 PM
nneate

If Muckler were to trade one of Redden or Chara to Vancouver for Todd, then I would personally Bertuzzi him.

Can't see us bringing him in.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:30 PM
SENSational

Id hate that. We just had 2 bad games and everybody is talking about a trade. Apperently Murray didnt yell at them enough on Friday. Hopefully he did yesterday. Plus Redden should be back tommorow.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:53 PM
sandbox

Quote:
Just because trades don't make sense, doesn't mean that GM's still wont do it...2 weeks ago the thornton trade would have made a lot less " sense" then a trade for bert.

Old
12-11-2005, 03:04 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico_Persson
Since the cap was introduced this year, steals have been available to the team willing to take on salary. The team dumping salary has had their lunch handed to them. Will this trade be the same? Hard to say.

One thing is for sure, I would value Bertuzzi at his alltime high value of a couple years back. Once he's traded I'm expecting him to regain form into one of the most dominant players in the game.

He's like the forward version Zdeno Chara...imagine those two on the same line in Ottawa..... .... I don't see it happening.
Well, I don't really know what to think of all these rumours, seems especially unlikely with Ottawa, but if Bertuzzi is traded, it would be for a good package. The Ducks hadn't been leading their division all year when they traded Federov. The guys that get dumped generally play for bad teams. It may be true that Bertuzzi may not get much back in a trade, but then he just wouldn't be traded, and the fans will be perfectly happy.

Old
12-11-2005, 03:46 PM
Rover*

We'll take spezza for bertuzzi please.

Old
12-11-2005, 03:53 PM
clay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCoach

I've actually been thinking of this one a lot. I think that a trade along the lines of Bertuzzi for Phillips and Fisher or Bochenski might be considerable.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Phanuthier*

Do you really want a underachineving player who takes bad penelties at bad times, dissapears when the game is on the line, and makes dumb comments like "you might as well book those tee times" when Vancouver had a 3-1 series lead on Minnisota, only to lose in 7?

And do you really want to give up a stud like Wade Redden, after seeing the Ottawa defense delt without Redden against a hard forcheck like the Flames?

I think Ottawa should go after cheaper guys like maybe a Doug Weight (if they can take his salary). I don't think Bertuzzi is the kind of guy that can lead a team to win anything.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:46 PM
Don Draper

I dont want Bertuzzi on our team under any circumstance. It has nothing to do with the incident, just what his contract would do to our cap for the next year. No way would I choose Bertuzzi over keeping Redden, that is poor reporting at its finest Mr. Gallagher

Old
12-11-2005, 05:50 PM
Roy G Biv*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
I dont want Bertuzzi on our team under any circumstance. It has nothing to do with the incident, just what his contract would do to our cap for the next year. No way would I choose Bertuzzi over keeping Redden, that is poor reporting at its finest Mr. Gallagher
Agreed. I think a team with an elite defense will always be in contention.

ie. Calgary vs. Atlanta

Old
12-11-2005, 05:53 PM
The Fuhr*

We can not take Bertuzzi on our team. He salary goes over the Alfredsson cap.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:55 PM
Leb_Hitch*

Is there anyway a team can pick up a player and re-negociate his contract...??

Old
12-11-2005, 05:59 PM
CheeseSandwich*

Quote:
Originally Posted by speztacular
Is there anyway a team can pick up a player and re-negociate his contract...??
I believe that's one of the things that the new CBA does not allow.

What you can do if you're in dire straits, which Vancouver's not, is waive a player twice, and on the second time if he's taken the team that had him must pay half his salary and the taker pays the other half.

Again, this isn't valuable in this situation, but that's a way to renegotiate i guess.

Old
12-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Milpool

Why would the Sens go after Bertuzzi? Is Heatley not getting the job done? Havlat may be injured now, but he should be ready by the playoffs, and it's not like the Sens are going to be battling for a spot. Bertuzzi, regardless of how good he can be, brings a truckload of emotional baggage and a chip on his shoulder that's not going away.

(Yes, I know Heatley's been playing some stellar hockey. It was sarcasm.)

The Sens are primed for a Cup run this season, and Redden & Chara are key players on the team. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Old
12-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier
Do you really want a underachineving player who takes bad penelties at bad times, dissapears when the game is on the line, and makes dumb comments like "you might as well book those tee times" when Vancouver had a 3-1 series lead on Minnisota, only to lose in 7?

And do you really want to give up a stud like Wade Redden, after seeing the Ottawa defense delt without Redden against a hard forcheck like the Flames?

I think Ottawa should go after cheaper guys like maybe a Doug Weight (if they can take his salary). I don't think Bertuzzi is the kind of guy that can lead a team to win anything.
Yeah, that Minny trash talk was rather embarassing and uncalled for and a part of me was glad he had to eat those assinine words.

He seems to have matured a lot since then though; the 'incident' has no doubt humbled him and that's a good thing imo. I don't think he'll be spouting off like that again. *hopes*

If Bertuzzi is traded and he becomes "happy and motivated" again like today's papers suggest... look out, he'd be a force that would dramatically improve any team he played on.

He's not as useless as you make him out to be. I'd find it hard to believe you wouldn't want to add him to your Flames' roster if you had the opportunity.

Closed Thread