HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The writing is on the wall

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2005, 08:02 AM
facts

vCash: 500
The writing is on the wall

and it was rather loud and clear during the game Saturday afternoon. Although I am a huge fan of Gagne, he has a long way to go to fill Foppas shoes not only offensively but in the leadership role as well.
After watching Forsberg return, dominate, dictate the pace of the game and generally spark the whole team it was clear to me that this is already his team, and that Gagnes has a long way to go.
Secondly, one must feel for Prims at it appears that he is lost in the shuffle if you will. This team has had to develop several new identities over the last month or so and as of late Prims has rarely been used as an excuse for the PK or lack luster play.
Finally, it was neat to see Eager in the lineup again on Saturday as he is having a positive influence on Brashear. Not only did he challenge Boogaard and throttle him he was argueable a top 3 player during the game. Obviously he is recognizing the Eager is in the rear view mirror and competition for his ice. Great game boys.

Old
12-12-2005, 08:59 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by facts
and it was rather loud and clear during the game Saturday afternoon. Although I am a huge fan of Gagne, he has a long way to go to fill Foppas shoes not only offensively but in the leadership role as well.
After watching Forsberg return, dominate, dictate the pace of the game and generally spark the whole team it was clear to me that this is already his team, and that Gagnes has a long way to go.
Secondly, one must feel for Prims at it appears that he is lost in the shuffle if you will. This team has had to develop several new identities over the last month or so and as of late Prims has rarely been used as an excuse for the PK or lack luster play.
Finally, it was neat to see Eager in the lineup again on Saturday as he is having a positive influence on Brashear. Not only did he challenge Boogaard and throttle him he was argueable a top 3 player during the game. Obviously he is recognizing the Eager is in the rear view mirror and competition for his ice. Great game boys.
Forsberg is the best friggin player in the world... who was saying/thinking that Gags could fill his shoes? not to mention Forsberg plays center, not wing. Gags is NEVER going to fill the shoes of Forsberg...

1. I've not ONCE heard anyone actually on/associated with this team use the absence of Preems as an excuse for ANYTHING.

2. the guy who will be wearing the "C" has NOT been lost in the shuffle... whenever you hear Hitch talking about the "Cavalry is coming..." he's talking about Preems among others. we need Preems anchoring the checking line to free up bodies for offensive roles.

anyone else think that if Carter proves he can play wing he ends up staying on one of the top two lines at wing? if carter can stick up there, i could definitely see something like...

Gags - Forsberg - Knuble
Handzus - Richards - Carter

...being what we do. maybe flip Knuble and Carter just to isolate the rooks with vets, but i'm not jumping to break-up the chemistry the first line had. then behind that you could have something like.

Kapanen - Primeau - Stevenson/Radio
Umberger/Ellison centering whoever is around.

Umberger shifting to LW on the 2nd or 3rd line when we need Zeus at C (since there is no way Preems' head is going to make it through the rest of the season).

Old
12-12-2005, 11:30 AM
kingjdv

Send a message via AIM to kingjdv
[QUOTE=facts]Secondly, one must feel for Prims at it appears that he is lost in the shuffle if you will. This team has had to develop several new identities over the last month or so and as of late Prims has rarely been used as an excuse for the PK or lack luster play.
QUOTE]

From today Ice Chips section of TSN.

"Flyers centre Keith Primeau skated for the third straight day on Saturday and could be close to returning from a concussion." - Philly Blurbs

Old
12-12-2005, 11:32 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I think it was quite obvious that Gagne was playing hurt the last week and "sucked it up" for the team until Forsberg was able to return. anyone think that was a conisidence that Gagne was listed out 2 weeks with a groin injury on the same day Forsberg was allowed to come back? I dont think it was.
Preems has not been lost in the shuffle. he will come back when he is ready. I dont want the guy coming back to soon from this at all. I hope he takes his time, the team is going to need him much more in the spring then in late fall/early winter.
I do like what i see from the kids. they have stepped in and played about as well as could be expected. Of course it helps that we have a coach who can put them in positions where they can play well.
That being said I want to see where this team is after that 11 game roadtrip.

Old
12-12-2005, 11:41 AM
mikedifr

Someone criticizing Gagne again, it never ends!! Some people are just clueless!!!

Of course Gagne has a long way to go compared to Forsberg, doesnt 99.99999999% of the rest of the league?

Gagne is what he is, works his butt off, great two way player, can put the puck in the net, but he needs someone to feed him the puck. He is not Jagr, Kovalchuk, Lemieux, etc.

When he has that

12 goals 10 games in 2003-2004 with Zhamnov feeding him
21 goals 21 games in 2005-2006 with Forsberg feeding him

If I hear one more criticism of Gagne I think I am going to explode!

Old
12-12-2005, 12:14 PM
Brad*

Outside of Jagr, Kovalchuk, and maybe Iginla, there is basically no one in the NHL who could "fill in" for Forsberg and make you forget that he was gone. He's just that good. You do not replace the man who is arguably the best hockey player in the world. Asking that of Gagne is not only unrealistic and setting yourself up for disappointment, but it's rather unfair to Gagne himself. You just don't replace Peter Forsberg.

As far as Gagne himself is concerned, he is still an excellent top line left winger. He's a great player to have on this team in particular, as he can do a little bit of everything. He can score, he can work on the power play, and he can play defense and kill penalties. There is not a whole lot more you could ask of Gagne. He does it all, and is a great player. He is not Peter Forsberg however, and anyone who is asking him to be is simply kidding themselves. End of story.

Old
12-12-2005, 12:18 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
The only writing on the wall is that you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:15 PM
stanley

I think we could collectively take a more moderate tack when responding to someone. Is it necessary to insult someone if we disagree with them? Just asking...

------------------

It's clear to me that Forsberg literally controls the pace of the game from the end of his stick. Without him, it appears they have to work much harder for their opportunities. As Jester said, it's easy to forget that he's one of the best players in the world, so it's probably best to temper any comparisons of other players with that in mind.

Old
12-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
I think we could collectively take a more moderate tack when responding to someone. Is it necessary to insult someone if we disagree with them? Just asking...

------------------

It's clear to me that Forsberg literally controls the pace of the game from the end of his stick. Without him, it appears they have to work much harder for their opportunities. As Jester said, it's easy to forget that he's one of the best players in the world, so it's probably best to temper any comparisons of other players with that in mind.
I said at the beginning when the Flyers acquired Forsberg...he is the most dominant player in the game today. His ability to hold onto the puck combined with his vision is simply unmatched in the game right now. He doesn't blow people away with his speed, nor is he overly aggressive, but at the same time, when he gets the puck.....teams do not know what to do. The only past tactic to handle him was to obstruct him, and try to bust his spleen (see Norstrom of the LA Kings ). Bottomline: Playing with Forsberg gives his linemates the space to truly showcase their skills. Gagne isn't leaching off Forsberg, but he is able to truly use his speed and heart to score the goals that Peter makes available. I also think that if you truly want to grow a player into a superstar.......you let them play with Forsberg. Look at Tanguay and Hejduk. Both were skilled forwards prior to playing with Forsberg.....after their line in 03.....they both turned into superstars, and Tanguay is one of the best forwards in the game as a result.

Is Gagne better than Forsberg? No. Is he better as a player now with Forsberg in the lineup? Yes. Together the two are killing teams....who cares whose team it is...I'm sure if you ask Peter, he will tell you he isn't the leader in the lockerroom.....he never has been. He leads on the ice, which is what this team needs offensively.

12-12-2005, 02:16 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Gagne is a finisher, and an elite one, I think he has proved that much. Put him in an offensive role with a playmaking center and watch him score by the bucketload.

On top of that, he's a great two way player. He's a 40 goal scorer without an elite center, and one hell of a responcible backchecker. He has far exceeded expectations from when he was drafted.

Old
12-12-2005, 03:41 PM
stanley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonces
He has far exceeded expectations from when he was drafted.
And as I remember it, he would have been Nick Boynton had he not been selected at #21 overall.

Old
12-12-2005, 04:55 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley
as forrest would say, stupid is as stupid does & this thead is very close to

Closed Thread