HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

How is the Summit Series viewed in Russia?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-11-2005, 10:30 PM
  #1
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
How is the Summit Series viewed in Russia?

Is it no big deal...just another Russia vs. Canada game?

Is it seen as a dissapointment that they lost?

Is it seen with pride, because they proved all the doubters wrong about European hockey?

arrbez is online now  
Old
12-11-2005, 10:38 PM
  #2
Yureeka47*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
I was born in the USSR, but I immigrated to Canada when i was only 4.

What I collected from my parents about hockey and the summit series was basically that it was never one of the biggest sports there. Soccer always seemed to be more popular. The popularity of hockey in the USSR could be compared to the popularity of football in Canada roughly. The summit series were not considered a big deal or a disappointment, since they won the majority of olympic medals in that time period. Quite frankly, no one cared, except for the more dedicated hockey fans (def. not the majority of the country). Obviously, people that were raised in that time period and lived there can correct me if im wrong.

I answer that question with a question of my own... Why was it always considered such a big deal here?

Yureeka47* is offline  
Old
12-11-2005, 10:43 PM
  #3
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,671
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yureeka47
I answer that question with a question of my own... Why was it always considered such a big deal here?
Because it was the first time the two best hockey nations in the world played a best-on-best tournament I believe. Also, the cold wat had a lot to do with it as well

arrbez is online now  
Old
12-11-2005, 10:48 PM
  #4
joe_shannon_1983*
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,518
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
I have heard that many Russians claim they won the Summit Series, due to the fact that they scored more goals than they let in.

Apparently, many Russians think that the reason the Summit Series was 8 games, not 7 game, was because the series was never meant to be decided by wins and losses, but rather it was to be decided by goals for and goals against.

All of this are just things I have heard from a few Russians on message boards over the last couple of years, so take what I say with a grain of salt as I am only going off of what I have heard a few Russians say.

joe_shannon_1983* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 10:47 AM
  #5
albertGQ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferns8916
I have heard that many Russians claim they won the Summit Series, due to the fact that they scored more goals than they let in.

Apparently, many Russians think that the reason the Summit Series was 8 games, not 7 game, was because the series was never meant to be decided by wins and losses, but rather it was to be decided by goals for and goals against.

All of this are just things I have heard from a few Russians on message boards over the last couple of years, so take what I say with a grain of salt as I am only going off of what I have heard a few Russians say.
I believe the GF and GA was even. Thats why if Henderson didn't score that GWG, then the Russians would've claimed victory since they would've scored one more goal then Canada at the time

albertGQ is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 11:44 AM
  #6
jamiebez
Registered User
 
jamiebez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ
I believe the GF and GA was even. Thats why if Henderson didn't score that GWG, then the Russians would've claimed victory since they would've scored one more goal then Canada at the time
Here's the scores:
USSR 7 - Canada 3
Canada 4 - USSR 1
Canada 4 - USSR 4
USSR 5 - Canada 3
USSR 5 - Canada 4
Canada 3 - USSR 2
Canada 4 - USSR 4
Canada 6 - USSR 5

Total goals: Canada 31, USSR 33

So the Russians DID win! Conspiracy!

Seriously, whoever heard of an 8-game total goals series? If that was the case, why didn't they keep a running total as the series went on?

jamiebez is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 11:50 AM
  #7
Chili
Registered User
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: la Belle Province
Country: Antarctica
Posts: 1,954
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yureeka47
I answer that question with a question of my own... Why was it always considered such a big deal here?
Because hockey ruled here then, just as it does now.

Also, there had never been a tournament of that kind before. The Olympics was for amateurs (or supposedly so), many of the best players in the world were not involved.

There were many political overtones as well, East vs West, Capitalism vs Communism.

This tournament spawned the Canada Cup, now the World Cup so it was important event in hockey history.

Chili is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 03:21 PM
  #8
Den
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Stockholm
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 6,037
vCash: 500
Well, it is kind of well-known, but nothing like in Canada. First of all, soccer really rules and overshadows hockey. Second, it was a loss, thus never really trumpeted about. Like the Challange Cup in Canada, or the 74 series. Nobody would ever go as far as calling it the "most important sports and cultural" event of the century. Probably want even make first 20.

Many feel that that was a freakish loss, blamed on an unexperienced coach. Was Tarasov at helm, he would never allow the players to relax and loose concentration as many of them did in Moscow. The Clark on Kharlamov incident is also cited, but few really think that that was the reason behind the loss. And of course, nobody doubts that the Soviet team was superior to Canada even despite the loss. The "Canadian spirit" is not considered to be a factor, as it is believed that the 72 well-trained Soviet team should be beating the slow Canadians even under the spirit thing.

Den is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 04:03 PM
  #9
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,989
vCash: 500
I read once in Paul Henderson's book that he and teammates Ron Ellis knew some Russians over in Russia (or something like that) and after the series I guess they had contacted them over there and their Russian friends offered condolences on the Canadians losing over in Russia. It just showed you how much the Russian government controlled the media. They needed victory that badly. Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism. If not they'd still be brainwashed over there.

Its just too bad that Orr couldnt play. Imagine him skating with the Russians. I dont think anyone would have ever heard of Henderson if he had played. Why? Well for one Canada wouldnt have needed an eighth game we probably would have own the series 6-2. Henderson would be just another Leaf alumni.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 04:20 PM
  #10
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
It was 8 games because neither country would ever allow the other to play more games on their own soil. It had to be 8 or I guess six, simply to be fair in terms of homefield advantage.

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 05:21 PM
  #11
Steveorama
Registered User
 
Steveorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism. If not they'd still be brainwashed over there.
Some have said that the Russian people had a hand in changing their government, in spite of what Fox News tells you.

Steveorama is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 05:54 PM
  #12
Trottier
Very Random
 
Trottier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Diego
Posts: 29,239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Thank God that Ronald Regan and co. helped with the fall of communism.

Not to get political but...Ronald Reagan certainly deserves major credit...But so too do the seven other US Presidents - Republican and Democrat - that presided over this nation during the period of Soviet communism. From Truman on down. None of them budged, none of them gave in and, at the same time, all managed to avoid a nuclear confrontation.

Pop news-reporting today tends to like to simplify and dumb down history. And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.

It's simply not factual history.

Trottier is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
  #13
Steveorama
Registered User
 
Steveorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Oakville, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,910
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.
It's simply not factual history.
I was going to be nice and not point out the irony of saying that Reagan single-handedly defeated communism and then mentioning brain-washing in the same post.

Steveorama is offline  
Old
12-12-2005, 07:25 PM
  #14
VanIslander
Hope for better 2015
 
VanIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,619
vCash: 500
How?

With a black market DVD, bottles of vodka, Anna Kournikova, and a toque (for protection).

VanIslander is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 07:27 AM
  #15
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveorama
I was going to be nice and not point out the irony of saying that Reagan single-handedly defeated communism and then mentioning brain-washing in the same post.
HAHAHAHAHA Thatcher, Regan and Mulroney. The big ``empty`` so to speak (If we`re referring to the uniformisation of the western culture). You tear down a regime and replace it with a more culturally repressive one, those were the good days.

Form and Substance is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 03:29 PM
  #16
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
Not to get political but...Ronald Reagan certainly deserves major credit...But so too do the seven other US Presidents - Republican and Democrat - that presided over this nation during the period of Soviet communism. From Truman on down. None of them budged, none of them gave in and, at the same time, all managed to avoid a nuclear confrontation.

Pop news-reporting today tends to like to simplify and dumb down history. And some mythmakers would like nothing more than to give sole credit to President Reagan for "ending" communism.

It's simply not factual history.

Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term. Hey if it wasnt for JFK the US would have been "missiled" to death in '63.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 03:38 PM
  #17
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term.
IMO Reagan deserves the most credit because he was the first that actually scared the hell out of the Russians. A much more itchy trigger finger if you know what I mean.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 03:53 PM
  #18
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Hasbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: South Rectangle
Country: Sami
Posts: 31,997
vCash: 500
Due credit to the Pope, Lech Walesa and Gorby.

How about the Miracle on Ice?

Hasbro is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 04:30 PM
  #19
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable
 
Fish on The Sand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Posts: 52,259
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil
Not to get off Hockey but I agree with you there that's why I said Regan and co. All of the Presidents stood firm. It just ended during Regan's term. Hey if it wasnt for JFK the US would have been "missiled" to death in '63.
If it wasn't for JFK being weak in the first place Russia never would have had the guts to put the missiles there.

Fish on The Sand is online now  
Old
12-13-2005, 07:32 PM
  #20
chooch*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand
If it wasn't for JFK being weak in the first place Russia never would have had the guts to put the missiles there.
I'd check out jfkmontreal.com before talking.


Last edited by chooch*: 12-13-2005 at 08:08 PM.
chooch* is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 10:50 PM
  #21
Yureeka47*
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Moscow, Russia
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 471
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Yureeka47*
WOW, im really offended by the blatant ignorance in this thread. Reagan did NOTHING to cause the fall of communism. Nor did any other US president. Give me a break. Stop believing everything you were meant to hear. Talk about brainwashing in the USSR

The USSR fell from the inside out. The Russians did not fear Reagan or his itchy finger. Give me an effin break. Wow.

GORBACHEV WAS THE REASON THE USSR FELL APART. GET A CLUE. The reasons were ALL internal.

Yureeka47* is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 11:11 PM
  #22
TheFinalWord
Registered User
 
TheFinalWord's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 1,179
vCash: 500
Actually, I was the cause of the fall of the USSR. I didn't really like the setup any longer so I decided to make a change.
Simple as that.

TheFinalWord is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 11:14 PM
  #23
KariyaIsGod*
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,140
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yureeka47
WOW, im really offended by the blatant ignorance in this thread. Reagan did NOTHING to cause the fall of communism. Nor did any other US president. Give me a break. Stop believing everything you were meant to hear. Talk about brainwashing in the USSR

The USSR fell from the inside out. The Russians did not fear Reagan or his itchy finger. Give me an effin break. Wow.

GORBACHEV WAS THE REASON THE USSR FELL APART. GET A CLUE. The reasons were ALL internal.
This is true. It was Gorbatchev...

KariyaIsGod* is offline  
Old
12-13-2005, 11:42 PM
  #24
Form and Substance
Registered User
 
Form and Substance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,673
vCash: 500
Well Gorbachev isn`t very well like in Russia, I mean there were years of total misery that followed the fall of communism, hell, they're still recovering in some regions or so I hear. But on the other hand, those saying Regan and co. were the factors in the dissolving of the USSR, well time to give up your weekly subscriptions to Newsweek.


Last edited by Form and Substance: 12-13-2005 at 11:48 PM.
Form and Substance is offline  
Old
12-14-2005, 12:38 AM
  #25
Zine
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,317
vCash: 500
The USSR was in a slow decline ever since Stalin died. The country collapsed from within (stagnation, poor leadership, etc. etc.). Reagan and co. may have sped up the process, but they weren't the cause of it. The USSR was going to eventually collapse regardless of who was President.

Zine is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.