HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Hockey Talk by Country > Russia
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC - Russia 2017

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-07-2017, 10:51 AM
  #476
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
So, looking back at it.

Kaprizov+Vorobyov - no comment.
Polunin - I'd say he looked fine, but not excellent comparing to Vorobyov and Kaprizov. Also I think he failed to adapt his shot to small ice rink angles.
Kvartalnov - reliable, but lacks offense for the second line, more like a 3-rd line guy. Also we expected a bit more from him after a great Canada/Russia series.
Guryanov - got better as the tournament went on (I think it was like that at the U18 2 years ago too) and finally showed his talents when it mattered. If I understood correctly, Bragin advised him to work on his hands.
Karnaukhov - I kind of didn't like him actually: he was doing a lot of dirty work, but I couldn't get away from a thought that he isn't too comfortable at W.
Trenin - his game got much better when he was moved to C from wing and that doesn't surprise me. Great offensively, has been able to generate chances by himself, but a bit shaky at defensive responsibilities.
Urakov - Skudra's pitbull brought a lot of energy and aggressiveness to the third line, also showed decent understanding of the game at the attack.
Belyayev - was mostly invisible, but I think that was his role.
Rubtsov - on this team he could be only a 4-th line winger: poor faceoffs didn't allow him to play at C, but at W the offense wasn't there for him, although I think he did well at D and PK. Got injured, but Guryanov had enough athleticism to replace him too.
Yurtaikin+Alexeyev - while Yurtaikin showed some explosive skating (although injury got him out of the game tempo a bit), those guys can't do much at the 4-th line. They could effectively fit only into a second line role, but they weren't good enough for that somehow.

Rykov - showed what he could do and why he is a #1 D guy on this team, although that goal Vs. Sweden reminded me of an 'old' Rykov two years ago, he was pretty error prone back then.
Sidorov - one of the reasons that Rykov posted those numbers was that Sidorov covered his back. Great tournament for him too, although it isn't that noticeable. Very strong kid, to me one of the best moments was him fighting along the boards with Greenway, who is 5 inches bigger and Sidorov didn't lose that.
Sergachyov - I think he did very well, maybe a bit shaky at the start. I think he could be better if his partner wouldn't be Kudako, I had an impression that Sergachyov was paired with him as he was the only one who could effectively cover up his mistakes.
Kudako - he just shouldn't be there.
Voronkov - was more or less invisible, but that's actually great for his role.
Zborovskiy - looked nervous somehow, although much better as the tournament went on, Bragin told that it took some time for him to understand team's tactics.
Dronov - looked rather raw and overall underwhelming, but he was younger than all the other guys, really hope that he will make significant progress until next year.
Volkov - got injured (officially it was a cold though, I kind of doubt that) too early to tell something about him.

Samsonov - kind of a mixed feelings about him and quite a lot can be written about him as he looked a bit raw, but still extremely talented. Still those feelings are dominantly positive.
Sukhachyov - basically looked as expected Vs. Latvia, looking forward to see him next year. By the way, I had a thought that if Sukhachyov didn't get injured, Bragin might've decided to pull Samsonov after that injury.

Overall I'd say it was good and bronze is the right result. In my opinion the biggest issue was that we didn't have a summer training camp and friendlies in Canada like we did before (I guess we weren't invited this time), like we did in recent years, as it would allow Bragin to have more time to work with NA guys and with overall line chemistry thing. Having less opportunities to work on that resulted in Bragin not able to construct his usual team model (top line + two-way middle-six + fourth line) and having to compose that roster and lines at the last moment. Top line looked fine, but I still had an impression that Polunin is there only because he doesn't fit anywhere else. Middle-six was more like 'two third lines + Trenin/Guryanov's individual efforts. We hoped Yurtaikin and Alexeyev to become new Korshkov and Kraskovskiy, but they weren't good enough for the second line and obviously they are no fourth line guys. More or less same thing was there at D - last year there were guys like Zhuldikov and NA based guys who stepped up in the summer games, but this year apart from the top 5, other guys were just mediocre, unfortunately so far it seems that this issue might be there next year too.

About the roster speculations: Abramov is great now, but he didn't show anything close to that at the Can/Rus series and, what is more important, we got Kaprizov and Guryanov on his possible roster positions, so it just wasn't happening, more or less the same could be told about Smirnov. It could be argued that Chebykin could be better than Belyayev, but while in terms of attack I would agree with that, I doubt that he would be better at D.

So yes, Bragin did well and bronze is a good thing for him too considering that this wasn't a "Bragin's team".


P.S. Merry Christmas!!!

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 11:11 AM
  #477
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
And yes, since it is a topic for a neighbouring thread, it is worth mentioning that our centers have been very impressive at face-offs this year and it really helped, I guess it was important for Bragin too.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 11:13 AM
  #478
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
So, looking back at it.

Kaprizov+Vorobyov - no comment.
Polunin - I'd say he looked fine, but not excellent comparing to Vorobyov and Kaprizov. Also I think he failed to adapt his shot to small ice rink angles.
Kvartalnov - reliable, but lacks offense for the second line, more like a 3-rd line guy. Also we expected a bit more from him after a great Canada/Russia series.
Guryanov - got better as the tournament went on (I think it was like that at the U18 2 years ago too) and finally showed his talents when it mattered. If I understood correctly, Bragin advised him to work on his hands.
Karnaukhov - I kind of didn't like him actually: he was doing a lot of dirty work, but I couldn't get away from a thought that he isn't too comfortable at W.
Trenin - his game got much better when he was moved to C from wing and that doesn't surprise me. Great offensively, has been able to generate chances by himself, but a bit shaky at defensive responsibilities.
Urakov - Skudra's pitbull brought a lot of energy and aggressiveness to the third line, also showed decent understanding of the game at the attack.
Belyayev - was mostly invisible, but I think that was his role.
Rubtsov - on this team he could be only a 4-th line winger: poor faceoffs didn't allow him to play at C, but at W the offense wasn't there for him, although I think he did well at D and PK. Got injured, but Guryanov had enough athleticism to replace him too.
Yurtaikin+Alexeyev - while Yurtaikin showed some explosive skating (although injury got him out of the game tempo a bit), those guys can't do much at the 4-th line. They could effectively fit only into a second line role, but they weren't good enough for that somehow.

Rykov - showed what he could do and why he is a #1 D guy on this team, although that goal Vs. Sweden reminded me of an 'old' Rykov two years ago, he was pretty error prone back then.
Sidorov - one of the reasons that Rykov posted those numbers was that Sidorov covered his back. Great tournament for him too, although it isn't that noticeable. Very strong kid, to me one of the best moments was him fighting along the boards with Greenway, who is 5 inches bigger and Sidorov didn't lose that.
Sergachyov - I think he did very well, maybe a bit shaky at the start. I think he could be better if his partner wouldn't be Kudako, I had an impression that Sergachyov was paired with him as he was the only one who could effectively cover up his mistakes.
Kudako - he just shouldn't be there.
Voronkov - was more or less invisible, but that's actually great for his role.
Zborovskiy - looked nervous somehow, although much better as the tournament went on, Bragin told that it took some time for him to understand team's tactics.
Dronov - looked rather raw and overall underwhelming, but he was younger than all the other guys, really hope that he will make significant progress until next year.
Volkov - got injured (officially it was a cold though, I kind of doubt that) too early to tell something about him.

Samsonov - kind of a mixed feelings about him and quite a lot can be written about him as he looked a bit raw, but still extremely talented. Still those feelings are dominantly positive.
Sukhachyov - basically looked as expected Vs. Latvia, looking forward to see him next year. By the way, I had a thought that if Sukhachyov didn't get injured, Bragin might've decided to pull Samsonov after that injury.

Overall I'd say it was good and bronze is the right result. In my opinion the biggest issue was that we didn't have a summer training camp and friendlies in Canada like we did before (I guess we weren't invited this time), like we did in recent years, as it would allow Bragin to have more time to work with NA guys and with overall line chemistry thing. Having less opportunities to work on that resulted in Bragin not able to construct his usual team model (top line + two-way middle-six + fourth line) and having to compose that roster and lines at the last moment. Top line looked fine, but I still had an impression that Polunin is there only because he doesn't fit anywhere else. Middle-six was more like 'two third lines + Trenin/Guryanov's individual efforts. We hoped Yurtaikin and Alexeyev to become new Korshkov and Kraskovskiy, but they weren't good enough for the second line and obviously they are no fourth line guys. More or less same thing was there at D - last year there were guys like Zhuldikov and NA based guys who stepped up in the summer games, but this year apart from the top 5, other guys were just mediocre, unfortunately so far it seems that this issue might be there next year too.

About the roster speculations: Abramov is great now, but he didn't show anything close to that at the Can/Rus series and, what is more important, we got Kaprizov and Guryanov on his possible roster positions, so it just wasn't happening, more or less the same could be told about Smirnov. It could be argued that Chebykin could be better than Belyayev, but while in terms of attack I would agree with that, I doubt that he would be better at D.

So yes, Bragin did well and bronze is a good thing for him too considering that this wasn't a "Bragin's team".


P.S. Merry Christmas!!!
Agree overall. Great work. Most disappointing for me was Polunin. He seemed to lack the speed and strength to skate around defenders, which limited him to wrist shots from the outside. Biggest surprise was Trenin. He was aggressive, powerful, skilled and full of finesse. His game has really advanced.

On defense, Rykov was the best. Sergachyov is talented, but too nonchalant and low-key to be a force. In my opinion, pre-tournament hopes for an improved defense were not realized. The defense continued to give up far too many good chances from in close to challenge for a Gold Medal.

In the end, the difference between Bronze and at least a Silver was Samsonov. In the shootout, he could not stop shots between the 5-hole. Overall, I expected much more from him, based on his performance in the 2016 SF.

I agree with your conclusion that lack of balanced scoring limited their chances for Gold.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-07-2017, 11:54 AM
  #479
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Agree overall. Great work. Most disappointing for me was Polunin. He seemed to lack the speed and strength to skate around defenders, which limited him to wrist shots from the outside. Biggest surprise was Trenin. He was aggressive, powerful, skilled and full of finesse. His game has really advanced.

On defense, Rykov was the best. Sergachyov is talented, but too nonchalant and low-key to be a force. In my opinion, pre-tournament hopes for an improved defense were not realized. The defense continued to give up far too many good chances from in close to challenge for a Gold Medal.

In the end, the difference between Bronze and at least a Silver was Samsonov. In the shootout, he could not stop shots between the 5-hole. Overall, I expected much more from him, based on his performance in the 2016 SF.

I agree with your conclusion that lack of balanced scoring limited their chances for Gold.
Actually my conclusion was not about the scoring, it was more about that for several reasons those composed lines didn't suit the tasks that those lines should be performing. I mean, just compare the fourth lines of 'Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Rubtsov' and 'Lauta-Fazleyev-Dergachyov'.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 12:12 PM
  #480
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 11,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Anyone saw the life interview with Bragin on FB with Sport-Express. I luv Bragin, but him complaining that he didn't have enough creative players this year, while cutting Popugaev, Korostelev, Abramov????

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 12:15 PM
  #481
cska78
Registered User
 
cska78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: USA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 11,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
I agree with Caser, except for Sidorov, he was god awful for a guy skating a regular shift for a string KHL team.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2017, 03:57 PM
  #482
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
Anyone saw the life interview with Bragin on FB with Sport-Express. I luv Bragin, but him complaining that he didn't have enough creative players this year, while cutting Popugaev, Korostelev, Abramov????
Actually it is also quite interesting if we look back at it. I think the whole idea was to 'fix' the Loko line, after Krikunenko failed at the Series and there were two options: to fix it with Korostelev/Tyanulin (or even both) or to fix it with Abramov. Since Abramov looked much worse at the Series (and also he is younger and smaller), Bragin didn't hesitate to choose the former option. Now we can say that it was a mistake, since Korostelev and Tyanulin were really bad in friendlies and Abramov got on fire by that time (and with Abramov in that form, Yurtaikin-Alexeyev-Abramov line could solve our struggle for the second line), but there was some logic behind that at that moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I agree with Caser, except for Sidorov, he was god awful for a guy skating a regular shift for a string KHL team.
I don't know, I think he was quite good defensively, I felt very calm about the D when he was on ice. Of course, he almost didn't contribute offensively at all, but I think that was exactly his task.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2017, 09:04 AM
  #483
MaxV
Registered User
 
MaxV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York, NY
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,078
vCash: 500
The VHL guys were the biggest disappointment.

MaxV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-13-2017, 11:48 AM
  #484
Caser
Moderator
@RUSProspects
 
Caser's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Riga/Yaroslavl
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
The VHL guys were the biggest disappointment.
Who exactly?

Karnaukhov probably yes (although again, I think he is just not a winger), Sukhachyov was fine in his limited opportunity. Yurtaikin and Alexeyev were actually pretty decent at some moments, but they're just not a 4-th liners, not sure if it is correct to blame them at anything here. Btw, looks like Yurtaikin played last two games through an injury, as he was immediately sidelined upon his return to VHL.

Caser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 02:20 PM
  #485
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Registered User
 
Alessandro Seren Rosso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Europe
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caser View Post
So, looking back at it.
Thought I'd share it after Caser's masterpiece. My review is more NA-oriented, though.
http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-wjc...russia-review/

__________________
Алексей Черепанов навсегда в наших сердцах
Alessandro Seren Rosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 02:41 PM
  #486
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
I think Polunin was more of a disappointment than anything. Wouldn't be shocked if he's not drafted again.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 06:50 PM
  #487
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxV View Post
The VHL guys were the biggest disappointment.
I agree Kaurnakhov, Alexeyev, Kudako even Kvartalnov were disappointments after a solid super series (Kvartalnov).

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2017, 07:06 PM
  #488
malkinfan
Registered User
 
malkinfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 4,166
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Must admit I was wrong about Trenin, he played well in the final 2 games.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2017, 11:34 PM
  #489
Yakushev72
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,753
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantomas View Post
I think Polunin was more of a disappointment than anything. Wouldn't be shocked if he's not drafted again.
Couldn't agree more. He was much better last year. He is a great puck handler, but he isn't fast enough or strong enough to go around defenders, and he isn't physical enough to fight for pucks near the crease, which limited him to wrist shots from outside or at bad angles. He was never dangerous except against Latvia, but we didn't need him in that game.

Yakushev72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-09-2017, 11:34 PM
  #490
Fantomas
Registered User
 
Fantomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 7,185
vCash: 500
Interesting factoid. Abramov has taken 59 faceoffs this year and won 41 of them.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.