HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rumor - Kvasha, Richards and Allison Possible Flame Targets

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Ronald Pagan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
I also don't understand why posters keep harping on the "value that Thornton returned...". Thornton, even with his huge contract, brought back one of the best young dmen in the league and an excellent two-way winger. If the Bolts had to trade Richards, and they could get that kind of package in return, it wouldn't be so bad.
I don't want to turn this discussion into a Thornton vs Richards trade value debate but I think it's pretty safe to say that Thornton has more value. The contracts are a wash because Thornton has 3 more years and Richards is an impending RFA. Richards will certainly see his salary go up over $5 million while Thornton is at $6 million. So from a contractual perspective they're about even with slight value to Richards.

On the ice though, it's still Thornton who has more value even though he hasn't done much in the playoffs. He is an established franchise centre it's that simple. Richards is an excellent player but is not a franchise centre, yet. So on the trade market with contracts being about the same, Thornton will hold more value.

Other intangibles, such as Boston was struggling or they only shopped him to a select number of teams I think is balanced by Tampa's cap situation. Teams who know that Tampa will need to trade Richards wont give full value. Whether this comes true or not, we don't know but it does lower his value across the league.

Therefore, we can use the Thornton trade to gauge what type of return Richards could get. Thornton received a good to great young defenceman (who is a impending UFA), a good to great top 6 forward and a good checking centre. It's important to note Stewart's contract situation which significantly reduces his value.

Richards could garner a comparable to lesser value. To say that Richards is worth Iginla or Kipprusoff or whatever is just plain false when compared to the trade above. And it adds further evidence that the trade listed of Regehr and Langkow is fair value when all intangibles (contracts) are factored.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:18 PM
Erik

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via MSN to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Pagan
Other intangibles, such as Boston was struggling or they only shopped him to a select number of teams I think is balanced by Tampa's cap situation. Teams who know that Tampa will need to trade Richards wont give full value. Whether this comes true or not, we don't know but it does lower his value across the league.
You mean the cap situation that's going to leave Tampa with plenty of money with which sign Richards?

Old
12-14-2005, 01:21 PM
projexns
Welcome Back Jets!

Quote:
Teams who know that Tampa will need to trade Richards wont give full value. Whether this comes true or not, we don't know but it does lower his value across the league.
I disagree with this part. As long as there are a fair number of teams desiring a very good first-line center, then the Lightning will be assured that the highest bidder will be giving up assets of significance. If Feaster is in a position where say
St. Louis, Chicago, Edmonton, Calgary, and Anaheim (I'll leave the entire Eastern Conference out of this discussion) are all vying for Richards, someone will clearly
have to step up with a significant offer to get to the head of the class.

Question: What would Tampa's blue-line look like next year if they don't dip into
the free-agent market? Isn't Kubina a UFA? Are they trying to dump the Sydor contract?

Old
12-14-2005, 01:22 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I don't want to turn this discussion into a Thornton vs Richards trade value debate but I think it's pretty safe to say that Thornton has more value. The contracts are a wash because Thornton has 3 more years and Richards is an impending RFA. Richards will certainly see his salary go up over $5 million while Thornton is at $6 million. So from a contractual perspective they're about even with slight value to Richards.

On the ice though, it's still Thornton who has more value even though he hasn't done much in the playoffs. He is an established franchise centre it's that simple. Richards is an excellent player but is not a franchise centre, yet. So on the trade market with contracts being about the same, Thornton will hold more value.

Therefore, we can use the Thornton trade to gauge what type of return Richards could get. Thornton received a good to great young defenceman (who is a impending UFA), a good to great top 6 forward and a good checking centre. It's important to note Stewart's contract situation which significantly reduces his value.

Richards could garner a comparable to lesser value. To say that Richards is worth Iginla or Kipprusoff or whatever is just plain false when compared to the trade above. And it adds further evidence that the trade listed of Regehr and Langkow is fair value when all intangibles (contracts) are factored.
So, Thornton's big contract, and Richards' impending RFA status, greatly reduce their market values BUT Iginla's huge contract has no impact on his market value? In all honesty, I don't see Richard's on-ice value being a lot below Iginla's,and Richards isn't going to make as much money. I don't see any reason to believe the two players are in much different brackets as far as trade value.

That said, I agree that Regehr and Langkow is fair value. I just don't buy some of the silly packages built around guys like Rhino.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:31 PM
Erik

Send a message via ICQ to Erik Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via MSN to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
So, Thornton's big contract, and Richards' impending RFA status, greatly reduce their market values BUT Iginla's huge contract has no impact on his market value? In all honesty, I don't see Richard's on-ice value being a lot below Iginla's,and Richards isn't going to make as much money. I don't see any reason to believe the two players are in much different brackets as far as trade value.
Thank you.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:32 PM
Ronald Pagan

I never said their contracts reduced their values, only that their contracts or contractual situations make this factor somewhat even.

And sure maybe Richards and Iggy have comparable trade value. But, at $3 million for the next 3 years, Kipprusoff has some of the highest value in the league.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:37 PM
Erik

Quote:
I never said their contracts reduced their values, only that their contracts or contractual situations make this factor somewhat even.

And sure maybe Richards and Iggy have comparable trade value. But, at $3 million for the next 3 years, Kipprusoff has some of the highest value in the league.
He does, but Tampa isn't really looking for a goalie as badly as everyone thinks (not bad enough to trade one of our two franchise players), hence his value to the Lightning.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Darth Milbury
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something here.

Kipprusoff is making 2.9 million this year alone. His total contract is 10 million dollars. He actually one of the more highly paid netminders in the league.

http://www.cbc.ca/storyview/MSN/spor...off050812.html

Closed Thread