HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Valtteri Filppula called up to Detroit

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Valtteri Filppula called up to Detroit

http://www.griffinshockey.com/newsroom/news/?id=4357

BTW Hudler was sent back down. Lets hope he has a better impact than Jiri did.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
http://www.griffinshockey.com/newsroom/news/?id=4357

BTW Hudler was sent back down. Lets hope he has a better impact than Jiri did.
Let's hope he actually gets some ice time.

Also, that is beyond stange. Hudler finally gets to see some ice against Pittsburgh, actually plays pretty well (imagine that), and then he's sent back down? ***?

Old
12-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon

Also, that is beyond stange. Hudler finally gets to see some ice against Pittsburgh, actually plays pretty well (imagine that), and then he's sent back down? ***?

Dont get it either and i dont understand why someone as skilled as Hudler didn't get any PP time.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:34 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:

The letters W,T,F form a "curse word"? You have got to be kidding...

Old
12-14-2005, 08:40 PM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
Dont get it either and i dont understand why someone as skilled as Hudler didn't get any PP time.
Don't get it either. Really disappointed he didn't get any time. They better not be writing off this kid.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:55 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:
The letters W,T,F form a "curse word"? You have got to be kidding...

Yeah i got that to lets try what the hell

WTH

Old
12-14-2005, 09:38 PM
naihlflames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin
Don't get it either. Really disappointed he didn't get any time. They better not be writing off this kid.
Filppula will play a better two-way game than Hudler. Hudler is flashier in some ways like a young Datysuk and Filppula does many things much like a young Zetterberg.

Hudler is not being written off, but Filppula's game may fit better in the NHL right now for 3'rd or 4;th line ice time.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:00 PM
Winger98
powers combined

Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by naihlflames
Filppula will play a better two-way game than Hudler. Hudler is flashier in some ways like a young Datysuk and Filppula does many things much like a young Zetterberg.

Hudler is not being written off, but Filppula's game may fit better in the NHL right now for 3'rd or 4;th line ice time.

I think that's the problem, though...neither of these guys should be getting less than 10 minutes a night. Hudler should have gotten and Filppula should get 12+ minutes a night. I wasn't for Hudler making the team out of camp and I'm not entirely certain they are ready now but, if they're called up, they should be put into a position to excell and not just in a position to see ice time. Will either of them make mistakes? Sure. But they are both talanted enough to learn from them. The handling of Hudler's time up here was botched, imo.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:14 PM
A Good Flying Bird*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winger98
I think that's the problem, though...neither of these guys should be getting less than 10 minutes a night. Hudler should have gotten and Filppula should get 12+ minutes a night. I wasn't for Hudler making the team out of camp and I'm not entirely certain they are ready now but, if they're called up, they should be put into a position to excell and not just in a position to see ice time. Will either of them make mistakes? Sure. But they are both talanted enough to learn from them. The handling of Hudler's time up here was botched, imo.
Agreed.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:21 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

Quote:

Well said, taking a skilled guy like Hudler and dumping him on the 3rd or 4th line isn't a smart move. Hudler was slated to play on the top line so let him play on the tip line. Not every 3rd shift, he should have played every damn shift.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:00 PM
kira

Send a message via ICQ to kira Send a message via Yahoo to kira
I liked Fippula at camp and hopefully he will not disappoint on this stretch with the big team.

By the way, my tickets to the game on the 5th came today - Section 126, Row 18! Right on the corner in front of the goal, so I get to watch either Ozzie, Manny or Howard for two periods fairly close up!

21 days and counting!

Old
12-15-2005, 01:45 AM
Raimo Sillanpää

Filppula will become the first Finn to ever be suited up or iced by the Red Wings.
congrats to Valtteri for making history.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:53 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Filppula will become the first Finn to ever be suited up or iced by the Red Wings.
Nice fact, didn't know that.

Congratz Valtteri

Old
12-15-2005, 02:44 AM
psycho_dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raimo Sillanpää
Hope he does well. Last year I was really impressed by this youngster, especially in the playoffs. Especially one deflection goal he scored was a big promise....looked like a real goal scorers goal. Though I guess he is a good playmaking center too.

Old
12-15-2005, 03:55 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Galvin

I'll be very pissed off if they do write this guy off, he's got skills, like everyone already mentioned, no clue why he didn't get pp time.

Hope Filppula gets some ice time.

Old
12-15-2005, 04:00 AM
Korkki

First Finn ever to play NHL season games in my fav NHL team. Congrats!

Old
12-15-2005, 06:25 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
I think Flip has a number of things going for him that Huds doesn't. He's not as small as Hudler, he moves better, he's capable of playing on a 3rd line effectively, and, most importantly, Babcock raved about him in camp while he dumped on Hudler for not playing hard. I think all this will translate into more ice time for Flip than they gave to Hudler.

I think in time Flip could be a PK guy as well, and nobody would ever mistake Huds for a PKer.

Old
12-15-2005, 07:28 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Yes, I agree with that 100%

Old
12-15-2005, 07:29 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro
I think Flip has a number of things going for him that Huds doesn't. He's not as small as Hudler, he moves better, he's capable of playing on a 3rd line effectively, and, most importantly, Babcock raved about him in camp while he dumped on Hudler for not playing hard. I think all this will translate into more ice time for Flip than they gave to Hudler.

I think in time Flip could be a PK guy as well, and nobody would ever mistake Huds for a PKer.
I think so too. If they are not going to have Hudler or Filppula on the first two lines then Filppula is the one to go with. Although with Lang and Yzerman out I still would have thought Jiri would have got more ice time. Maybe he slept with Babcock's wife?

Old
12-15-2005, 07:33 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Congrats to Filppula and being the first Fin Red Wing. I remember reading something about that over the summer. Hard to believe. Good luck. I will be wearing my Jokerit Filppula in support tonight!

Old
12-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Fugu

vCash:
I think it was a conspiracy by the Swedes here to keep the Finns out! Just kidding, taking a jab at ancient history- at least I hope it is ancient.

That is incredible though that no Finn has started in a Wings' uniform yet. Awesome for Filppula that he gets to be the one on an Original Six team!

Old
12-15-2005, 09:14 AM
doublejack

Technically Filppula will not be the first Finn ever to play for the Red wings. Well, maybe the first Finn in spirit, but not the first person born in Finland. Tomas Sandstrom is generally considered Swedish but he was born in Jakobstab, Finland. It gets kind of blurred along borders though and Sandstrom played internationally for Sweden. This does cast some amount of controversy on the accolade though.

Anyway, I've been saying since the preseason games that I have doubts Hudler is an NHLer. He looks like a boy among men out there. He may prove me wrong, hopefully he will, but from the way this callup went I have even more doubt. He's just too small. That's not a problem in and of itself, but coupled with his very average skating ability it becomes one. We've probably not heard the last of Jiri Hudler but I wouldn't be surprised to see him dealt for help on the blueline. Oh, and Hudler did get some PP time against the Pens, he was just nearly invisible and totally ineffective.

Filppula on the other hand looks like the real deal. I think he can have an impact right away, whether it's as a wingman on a top line or 3/4th line grinder. I'm not totally sure he's ready yet and I agree it would be better for him to play on a top line, but with Lang and Yzerman out we need help now. Hudler wasn't the answer, maybe Filppula is.

Old
12-15-2005, 09:46 AM
Shoalzie

Did Hudler just not perform well playing the wing instead of center? Hopefully a natural winger like Filppula would be more effective in that role.

Old
12-15-2005, 09:54 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie
Did Hudler just not perform well playing the wing instead of center? Hopefully a natural winger like Filppula would be more effective in that role.
Flip is actually a natural center. But again, he is versatile and Hudler is not. This is why Flip will have a longer and brighter career, IMO.

Old
12-15-2005, 09:56 AM
Finnpin

Yes Sandstrom was born in Finland but he is a pure Swede and he was a Swede in NHL and still is a Swede. So Filppula is the first Finn ever at Red Wings uniform. Period. For example you don't count Heatley as first German in the Thrashers.

Yeah and I really hated Sandstrom when he played against Finland. Maybe he got that grit from Finnish blood or were his parents swedes?

I hope Valtteri will get ice time to show his skills! Go Valtteri Go!

Closed Thread