HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13/05 GDT Detroit Vs. Atlanta (away)

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2005, 12:44 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

vCash: 500
What a game

Lilja broke his stick and Stefan scored on the breakaway FFS

Old
12-14-2005, 12:50 AM
interminded

I just looked at the highlights on NHL.com and I must say: both Jimmy and Ozzy didn't allow any soft goals.

Of course, if Ozzy had stopped the breakaway, maybe the game would have had a different outcome. But he didn't. Bad luck.

Florida waits for us on Thursday and Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Let's move on !

Old
12-14-2005, 12:55 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded
I just looked at the highlights on NHL.com and I must say: both Jimmy and Ozzy didn't allow any soft goals.

Of course, if Ozzy had stopped the breakaway, maybe the game would have had a different outcome. But he didn't. Bad luck.

Florida waits for us on Thursday and Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Let's move on !
I agree, really bad defense. If we play again like this against Tampa and even Florida...I am afraid that we will lose those 2 also (whit big numbers)

Old
12-14-2005, 01:37 AM
TOPGUN
I Am Terrible!

Oh and another thing!

WHAT THE HELL HAPPEND DEFENSIVELY?

Old
12-14-2005, 06:43 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
bad penalities and bad breakaway ( lilja broken stick) killed the wings last night.

Old
12-14-2005, 06:46 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
The D was awful, both Howie and Ozzie made some great stops. I was pissed when they yanked Howie because it wasn't his fault, but then I was glad he wasn't in the net when the Thrashers went on the 5 on 3 for the next HOUR AND A HALF.

BTW, if Jim Slater is not suspended for the WORST DIVE EVER, I'm going to be even more pissed. What a joke. "Oh, I got hooked on the hand. From the front. I'm going to hop around on one foot and fall over backwards."

Old
12-14-2005, 06:53 AM
octopi

vCash: 703
Thats it...good feelings gone

The way the Wings(Yes, the Wings, not just the goalies, thank you for reminding me ) have played since early Novemberish has really been worrying me. Then, after the last two games, particularly seeing how the Wings dominated the Pens, I was starting to think they'd finally gotten out of mediocrity.Then I saw how the Blues handed the Pens last night. Pretty much the same as the Wings did.SIGH.

Old
12-14-2005, 06:56 AM
octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by interminded
Fact: The Wings won their previous three games with Chris Osgood in goal.
Fact: Jimmy Howard let in 3 goals on 16 shots, Chris Osgood let in 4 goals on 16 shots against Atlanta.

So now they both suck and Manny is our only saviour ?

Come on octopi, get real.
This was clearly not about goaltending.
Be as that may, I still think Manny is the best option of the three.

Old
12-14-2005, 09:37 AM
interminded

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Be as that may, I still think Manny is the best option of the three.
Naturally, you're fully entitled to that opinion.
(no sarcasm intented..)

Old
12-14-2005, 10:42 AM
doublejack

I thought it was a great effort coming from 4 goals down to tie the game. We got a lot of help from Atlanta though, but I guess they did too when they scored all their goals in the second on the PP. So it worked out in the end. At least it was entertaining.

During our 11-1 run in October we averaged 4 goals a game and allowed 2 per. In the past ten games we're still averaging 4 goals, but we've allowed 3.2 against. That's why we're 6-4 over that span. We clearly need help on the blueline. Teams are getting way too many quality scoring chances against us... odd-man rushes, breakaways, second chances, you name it. We need

Old
12-14-2005, 11:28 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublejack
I thought it was a great effort coming from 4 goals down to tie the game. We got a lot of help from Atlanta though, but I guess they did too when they scored all their goals in the second on the PP. So it worked out in the end. At least it was entertaining.

During our 11-1 run in October we averaged 4 goals a game and allowed 2 per. In the past ten games we're still averaging 4 goals, but we've allowed 3.2 against. That's why we're 6-4 over that span. We clearly need help on the blueline. Teams are getting way too many quality scoring chances against us... odd-man rushes, breakaways, second chances, you name it. We need
The kind of help the Wings need isn't exactly the kind of help they can afford though. They need a top 4 guy, maybe even a top 2 guy to bump Lilja down to the third pair. That ain't gonna be cheap, and I don't think the Wings should cough up any of the guys it would take to get it done (Flip, Howard, Grigs, etc). If they can tread water until Kronwall comes back, they should be ok. They may want to consider bringing up Quincey and putting him with Lidstrom. He can physically handle a ton of minutes (he got 35+ a game when he was in Mississauga) and he keeps it simple. It would be great experience for him and it would allow Lidstrom to get more involved offensively. Plus, then Nick wouldn't be the last guy back, having 4th liners whiz by him and beat him to the corners. They could use Schneider with Lebda or Lilja and put Chelios with Woolley, or the odd man out of the Lebda/Lilja combo.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:44 AM
doublejack

Yeah, I know it's going to cost but we need a top-4 guy to replace Fischer. All I have to say to Holland is "Git-R-done".

Old
12-14-2005, 11:56 AM
octopi

Quote:
Yeah, I know it's going to cost but we need a top-4 guy to replace Fischer. All I have to say to Holland is "Git-R-done".
Cough*Kronwall*Cough

Old
12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi
Cough*Kronwall*Cough
He's unproven and I'm counting him anyway. We have Lidstrom & Schneider, and a big dropoff from there. Chelios has been great, for a 44 year-old, asking him to play 20+ minutes a night is probably too much. And Lilja is a solid stay-at-home type but he doesn't make a good partner for either Nick or Matt.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:05 PM
Goldark

Quote:
He's unproven and I'm counting him anyway. We have Lidstrom & Schneider, and a big dropoff from there. Chelios has been great, for a 44 year-old, asking him to play 20+ minutes a night is probably too much. And Lilja is a solid stay-at-home type but he doesn't make a good partner for either Nick or Matt.

He's unproven in the sense that he doesn't have much NHL experience but when he has played, he's looked great. I do think we need a defensively responsible depth defenseman (how's that for alliteration?) though. But even without Fischer, a top 4 of Lidstrom, Kronwall, Schneider, and Chelios should suffice.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:13 PM
heywood*

ahh, somebody is in serious need of a goaltender.

very surprised martin prusek cleared waivers, given this.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:19 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood
ahh, somebody is in serious need of a goaltender.

very surprised martin prusek cleared waivers, given this.
Goaltending was fine. I thought Osgood played very well considering the circumstances of being tossed in cold and immediately facing two long 5 on 3s and a handful of oddman breaks (the most ridiculous being a 3 on 0 on the PK no less) in his first 5 minutes. Maybe Manny could have performed better coming in cold like that (Manny's specialty), but I doubt many other goalies in the league would have fared any better in that situation. Osgood gave us a chance to win this game and a ****** break cost us in the end.

Old
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
Fryer

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisnick
Goaltending was fine. I thought Osgood played very well considering the circumstances of being tossed in cold and immediately facing two long 5 on 3s and a handful of oddman breaks (the most ridiculous being a 3 on 0 on the PK no less) in his first 5 minutes. Maybe Manny could have performed better coming in cold like that (Manny's specialty), but I doubt many other goalies in the league would have fared any better in that situation. Osgood gave us a chance to win this game and a ****** break cost us in the end.
respectfully disagree
one goal allowed coming in cold is understandable. 3 is something different. After that - yes, Osgood gave a chance to come back although Atlanta's goalie helped as well.
Both goalies did not let in any softies but they did not save the team's arses when it was needed
Hence, goaltending is a concern as there is a number of goalies in the league that are capable of fishing their teams outta deep water

Old
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fryer
respectfully disagree
one goal allowed coming in cold is understandable. 3 is something different. After that - yes, Osgood gave a chance to come back although Atlanta's goalie helped as well.
Both goalies did not let in any softies but they did not save the team's arses when it was needed
Hence, goaltending is a concern as there is a number of goalies in the league that are capable of fishing their teams outta deep water
Why only one goal? Especially considering the first two were on a 5 on 3 and the third (in that three minute span) was a 3 on 0 break? It's like taking a starting pitcher out of the bullpen without the luxury of throwing ANY warm up pitches and being faced with no outs, bases loaded, and for good measure all batters in that inning will be spotted three balls on the count. Pick any goalie and you'd be exceedingly lucky if only 2 goals were given up in that span.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
respectfully disagree

You didn't watch the game did you?

the first two goals came on a 5 on 3. Hard to fault him on that

The other goal was a PP goal which was a 3 Thrashers against Osgood because Schneider and Lebda got caught pinching.

The last goal was weak IMO but in the meanwhile he made some GREAT saves including stoning Kovalchuk on a breakaway.

If the Wings had skated insteadof just hooking guy and not high sticking guys they wouldn't have been shorthanded so much.

Old
12-15-2005, 04:02 AM
interminded

Quote:
There is ?
Name one !

This was a tough situation for ANY goalie to get into the game.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:40 PM
Fryer

There is ?
Name one !

DiPietro, Kolzig, Vokoun, Hasek, Brodeur, Giguere, Luongo, Turco, etc
You didn't watch the game did you?
no, listened to the radio and saw the highlights on the net
the first two goals came on a 5 on 3. Hard to fault him on that
The other goal was a PP goal which was a 3 Thrashers against Osgood because Schneider and Lebda got caught pinching.

re-read my post - I am not blaming Osgood for letting a softie. I am stating that he did not save the team's behind.
I consistently stayed away from all Ozzie/Legace bashing most of you guys so much like to engage in. I also had no illusions that Wings will be saved by great goaltending. The last game simply does not add any enthusiasm to this issue.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:44 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
re-read my post - I am not blaming Osgood for letting a softie. I am stating that he did not save the team's behind.
He did for as long as he could, which allowed us to press to come back but once it tied we were still pressing a bit too much and a broken stick and a pinching defenseman killed us.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:10 PM
Higgy4

Osgood was thrown into a tough spot and was ambushed immediately. I dont fault him for any of the 3 goals he allowed right out of the shoot.

This is just all the same. We have people saying the standard stuff. "I dont blame Osgood, but he did have a chance to save the teams *** if he makes those saves". LOL

Osgood played very well the rest of the game and was a big reason the Wings were able to come back and tie it up. The Thrashers have alot of talented offensive players. It isnt like these guys are slouches.

Old
12-15-2005, 02:33 PM
interminded

@Fryer:

I have to disagree on the goaltending part.
Of your list, I would say only DiPietro, Hasek and maybe Turco or in that kind of shape that they can truly win games for their teams.
All the others or somewhat struggling...

But even DiPietro, Hasek or Turco would have had a hard time coming in cold on a long 5 on 3 PP.

I too don't participate in goaltendning bashing (whoever it may be).
I even started a thread that Manny and Ozzy fans should unite at the beginning of this season.

The only thing I do and will keep doing (along with others) is defending Ozzy when he (almost) traditionally gets kicked in the corner.
But mind you, I would do the same for Manny !

Closed Thread