HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Game #27 12/10 Predators @ Tampa Bay 7:00CST

Closed Thread

Old
12-10-2005, 09:34 AM
Pred303

vCash: 500
GDT: Game #27 12/10 Predators @ Tampa Bay 7:00CST

i'll start it..

the type of game/situation where the preds probably aren't expected to win... Tampa Bay red hot, 8-1-1 in their last 10.. first game after the Vokoun, Legwand injuries, lots of unanswered questions about new lines for the preds going in... first look at Beech, who not only steps in for his first game, but steps in as the probable first line center... Mason for the first time in his career, looking at a stretch of games where he's not Vokoun's backup, but instead is the man with the burden on his shoulders for 6-7 straight games to carry the team... shakeup in the 1st pp unit that has been winning games for us recently here with Legwand out..

lots of questions tonight..

see where trotz has said his intent is to keep the harts-perreault-sully line together, and fit beech in between kariya and erat...or in between upshall and hall (read into this, if he doesn't think beech is playing well enough to center the first line that fiddler will get a shot instead)

all of these unknowns and questions means one thing..tonight is a big game for the pred nation.. find a way to play well and steal a win here and think of the confidence gained by the team... lose weakly and watch the momentum swing the other way.. that's why it's a key game more than anything else

wonder how trotz will shake up the 1st pp unit tonight?... beech either steps straight into legwand's job there.. or do we see perreualt?.. or do we see sully-kariya-hartnell up front on the first unit instead?.. beech has scored most of his goals in Milwaukee this year on the pp.. i think trotz gives him a look.. interested in seeing if beech can use his size up here, and how he can play defensively in this league, and if he can win faceoffs...

also interested in seeing mason's game...seeing how he adapts to being looked at to hold the fort down for a long stretch of games.. he's got to be nervous about it, needs to play well early you feel to settle in.. preds defense needs to be really sharp early and limit TB's early good chances and let him work his way into the game and situation in my mind

and so, it becomes a key game, and one i dread and look forward to all at the same time

Last edited by Pred303: 12-10-2005 at 12:24 PM.
Old
12-10-2005, 11:12 AM
Predonater

I almost want to forget that this game is tonight. UGH. I hope we can get a win on the road though. I think it would help the empty feeling I still feel from the Rangers game. LOL!!

Old
12-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

*sense of dread coming over me*

without our #1 Center, #1 RW *1 man PK & our heart and soul*, our top 5 goalie *in the league*, our captain, Nichol & Markov *looks for puking emoticon*

Old
12-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I think we win this game. Grahme is a goalie we can beat, and our speed should match well with Tampa's forwards. We need a big game out of Mason, Kimmo, and Hamhuis....OUr defense is the key tonight.

It would also be nice for Kariya to pick tonight as the time to start burying those breaks .

12-10-2005, 12:03 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
I think we win this game. Grahme is a goalie we can beat, and our speed should match well with Tampa's forwards. We need a big game out of Mason, Kimmo, and Hamhuis....OUr defense is the key tonight.

It would also be nice for Kariya to pick tonight as the time to start burying those breaks .

I'm with you. I'm not dreading this game the way some are. Mason stepped up last year when Vokoun had the flu for a few games, and I think he can do it again.The defense needs to tighten up with Legwand's backchecking out, but I believe we can do it.

Old
12-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Pred303

i think we come out and play well to be honest... one thing that will be a change is the fact we're not near same speed team we started out the year as...walker, johnson,nicholand legwand are probably 4 of our fastest 7 skaters (along with erat, kariya and sully).. now we're bigger up the middle (beech,smithson) but definitely slower overall...

my biggest concerns about replacing legwand have to do with 1)his speed getting back defensively- which has led to 1-2 per game at the minimum backchecking pass intercepts, 2)us having the ability to actually skate the puck into the offensive zone and not have to dump it in, legwand remained the best we had at doing that, especially noticable on the pp, 3) our first unit pp puck control, that's one thing legwand provided the pp since he was put on the first unit... we have to come up with another guy who can cleanly handle the puck on the pp, hopefully beech is better at it than erat or perreault.. other than that, i think we'll be ok if beech demonstates his ability to be the playmaker that he's supposed to be... to be honest if that is the case, we shouldn't hurt offensively with this change.. it's more on the defensive end i expect things to have a slight turn for the worse.. wouldn't be surprised if our goals per game actually slightly improves and our goals allowed per game gets slightly worse during the next month.. should be a different look team we're fielding with this lineup.. hope beech has taken trotzies third man deep concept to heart while playing in Milwaukee or he'll be in the doghouse in three shifts

the ideal situation is that mason stands on his head tonight.. and thereby peps the team up and builds our confidence level thigns will be fine... i don't worry about mason positionally at all..in fact he's probably fundamentaly sounder than vokoun as far as squaring up to shooters and rarely being caught out of position... rebound control is what i worry about from mase, he leaves far worse rebounds than vokoun...so with him in net it's much more important to backcheck and the defenders to play strong clearing rebounds and tieing up sticks than when vokoun's in net

looking forward to it, well in a heartsick worried kind of way

Old
12-10-2005, 12:46 PM
Basher
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Basher Send a message via MSN to Basher Send a message via Skype™ to Basher
i see perrrault moving up to #1 center on the PP, trotz is heartless at times like this, he wont take a "chance" on beech, but he'll probably get the 2nd shift of the PP.

Old
12-10-2005, 01:08 PM
handtrick

I'm with you guys.....alot of what happens, depends on the confidence and resilence that this group shows over the course of this game.

Beech and Mase have opportunities that they may never have again.

If Mase has a barnburning stretch....some other teams may start looking at him as a potential 1b or even starting goalie and thereby give him an opportunity that may not have been there before. I am as big a Mason fan as we have, but everyone knows with Finley, Rinne, and Lassila in Europe, his time as the Pred backup is limited. Now he may find a job as a backup elsewhere, but this is his real chance to display an ability to be a #1. The question in my mind is.....does Mase have the mindset of a career backup.....or does he have something more.
Pred303...you hit it on the head....backchecking will be the key, as Mase leaves far more rebounds than Koun...eventhough he is positionally sound.

Now Beech, I don't know well enough to make a prediction. He has been a career underachiever and a "self proclaimed" slow starter. Does that mean eventhough he has made strides in Milwaukee.....he becomes tentative again stepping up to the NHL level? This trait could be the explanation for the "underachievement tag." If it is, I would predict that we will be very underimpressed by Beech in the first two weeks of Legwand's absence and may see some promise in the 2nd two weeks.
That being said, I don't think Trotzy will give him a lengthy adjustment time on the 1st line. If he is tentative....Fiddler will be centering the top line, or less likely, a move will be made.

I am nervous about this game....not to win or lose....but to what extent these two guys play, will determine whether we hold the fort or screw the pooch over the next 2 weeks.

Old
12-10-2005, 02:59 PM
lstcyr

Let's look at the bright side. If this had happened in every season prior to this one, we'd be screwed. But now we're trying to decide whether it will all work out or not and have decent hope that it will.

I think Mason steps up. He's a lot better than everyone gives him credit for. I'd love to see Finley get a shot in the next two weeks.

I think the Preds are now a team that will pull together and take care of business. Will we be as dominant. Nope! But we'll be competitive enough.

Old
12-10-2005, 04:55 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

I look forward to seeing if Beech steps up or not.

Old
12-10-2005, 05:28 PM
jstreet
Sad McDavid

vCash: 50
I have no predictions, no thoughts, or anything...

We will now have to win the way we did last season, with super hard work and determination.

Old
12-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Perreault took Beech's spot between Kariya and Erat in the final 90 seconds of the first period. Interested to see what the lines are at the start of the second.

Old
12-10-2005, 08:05 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
GOAL 1-0 Preds!

Timonen with the blast from the slot with Hartnell in front providing the screen at the end of a PP.

BTW, Beech is back in between Kariya and Erat to start the second.

Old
12-10-2005, 09:56 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I feel like we got screwed. Second time in as many games that a quick whistle has cost us a goal. THis one would have let us get a point out of the game, and maybe even won.

I think what bugged me the most about the disallowed goal was how badly the official misjudged the play. The rebound didn't even come close to the goalie, yet he blew it dead immeadiately....

Ah well, it happens. Good to see us keep fighting. The one bad thing with Mason is rebounds....We have to tighten up defensively around the net when he is playing.

Old
12-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Pred303

a few observations while the taste is still bitter in my mouth;

..nothing horribly surprising, unfortunately
..difficult to score enough to win when you cann't generate any offensive pressure, and we couldn't all night, even on the pp
..on the pp, we simply couldn't establish an offensive zone presence all night. we couldn't carry the puck in, we couldn't dump it and gain control. we did score once once, but it was on a halfway busted play
..16 shots. 5 full power plays,including a minute and a half 5 on 3 and only about 5 shots on the pp all night.
..mason actually played well for the first two periods. made 3 great saves and the first two goals he could do nothing about. he royally goofed on the third one not holding the post. and the last one he simply got used as a backboard by lacavilier. the guy played well enough to give us a shot thru two periods, but when you only have 10 shots thru 2 periods, and have had 11:56 of pp time and failed to get any more shots than that, you're going to get beat
..what a terrible early whistle to steal a shorthanded goal from eaton would have made this a game late... horrible, horrible call.. stupid ref simply anticipated graham covering the puck and blew the whistle, and he couldn't get to the puck.. that one was horrible, among the worst i've seen, stealing a goal from us
..beech is going to be ok, probably. about like i remembered, a big slow guy. on a bottom tier team he would probably be a good 2nd line centerman. a slightly better version of perreault is my take on him at this point. we now have two slow centermen on the two top lines that have possibly 3 of the fastest wingers in the league. but you can see beech will score some points and he was ok in the faceoff circle. still not sure how he will fit with our first pp unit.
.. we needed kariya and sullivan and zidlicky to take this game over. and they didn't. in fact they didn't come close. sullivan with a terrible game honestly. tunrovers everywhere. no shots on net. none, with 22 1/2 minutes of icetime and almost 6 minutes of pp time and no shots. we cann't have this when we badly need offense. kariya with one official shot on net in 19 minutes. he did just miss that one off the post, and that one could have changed the game.. our third leading scorer zidlicky with no official shots on net either. none. he too had a great chance and shot it off the crossbar, that one too would have changed things.
.. and if kariya,sullivan cann't get it done we have to have big games from someone among hartnell,erat or perreault...perreault with no shots on net either and 17 minutes of frigging icetime and a horrible penalty..erat with 1 shot and no real threat, hartnell with zero shots on net...
..how in the world could we actually win a game, when our biggest guns- kariya,sully,zids,hartnell,erat and perreault... have exactly 2 shots on net between the 6 of them?!?!.. 2 frigging shots from our top 6... that is almost unbelevable that this group of 6 could get so much icetime and so much pp time and only get 2 flipping shots on net from all 6 of them!?
..discipline. we didn't show any. any fool could see after their first pp that if we gave them chances on the pp tonight they would score. too much talent, too much puck control for it not to happen. and yet we go out and take tickytac penalties all night. put them on 9 pp's. we're lucky they didn't score 5 pp goals. zidlicky,suter, allion simply cann't stay out of the box. upshall with two bad penalties, and perreault taking that one early they scored on to tie it up and change the complexion of this game

..timonen with a nice shot on the first goal after a good pass from harts and a good shot from beech.. mason with several great early saves.. stevenson with a bullet nice shot from the faceoff circle.. hall with a nice deflection late.. we won in the faceoff circle.. beech looked ok for a first game.. we didn't quit and came back too late to try to make a game of it... but at least we tried.. and it's just one game... we didn't get anyone else hurt i don't think.. but those are about the only positives a guy could take away from this one

Old
12-10-2005, 10:34 PM
PredDave

Quote:
I feel like we got screwed. Second time in as many games that a quick whistle has cost us a goal. THis one would have let us get a point out of the game, and maybe even won.

I think what bugged me the most about the disallowed goal was how badly the official misjudged the play. The rebound didn't even come close to the goalie, yet he blew it dead immeadiately....

Ah well, it happens. Good to see us keep fighting. The one bad thing with Mason is rebounds....We have to tighten up defensively around the net when he is playing.
Amen! We truly got screwed tonight... there is no reason why we shouldn't have gone to overtime or even won the game tonight. The Predators had a little trouble getting their power play set up early on and wasted some good opportunities, but overall I thought they played pretty well.

We won some close games early in the season, so maybe this is karma catching up to us?

We'll still catch the Wings and pass them by in due time...

Go Predators!

Old
12-10-2005, 10:57 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:

that's what happens when you have your #1 Center, Captain, #1 RW & Heart and Soul, #1 goalie, Markov & Nichol all on IR ... we didn't get screwed, we lost this game, plain and simple ... I'd much rather have Legwand's even rating with no goals or assists & a win rather than Panic's even rating and a loss

Old
12-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole
that's what happens when you have your #1 Center, Captain, #1 RW & Heart and Soul, #1 goalie, Markov & Nichol all on IR ... we didn't get screwed, we lost this game, plain and simple ... I'd much rather have Legwand's even rating with no goals or assists & a win rather than Panic's even rating and a loss
Yeah, I don't disagree. We lost this game, and didn't deserve to win, but we still managed to get 4 goals, while 3 only counted. It tells you what this team can be capable of when fully healthy.

Old
12-11-2005, 12:00 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Frustrating game to watch. No puck control. The Bolts were simply skating around, while we chased after, swinging our sticks. We'd get the puck back, and immediately turn it back over.

Isn't it funny that the best forechecking line...the fourth...is also the line with absolutely no one capable of finishing?

Also, we've gone overboard back into the "too cute, too many passes" way of doing things. Kariya and Sullivan are the two guiltiest parties. I know our team is decimated by injuries right now, but this game could have been better, if we had kept it simple.

Old
12-11-2005, 02:03 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Nashville (18-6-3), which entered as the NHL's second-most penalized team at 21.2 minutes per game, had 11 penalties for 22 minutes. Coach Barry Trotz was especially unhappy with two penalties taken by right wing Scottie Upshall.

"You're sort of surprised that we have the record we have because we take too many penalties," Trotz said. "Upshall took two. If he wants to stick around, he can't take two a game. He's not that valuable of a player for us.

"You keep putting yourself behind the eight ball. I'm sick and tired of it. We're going to change that, there's no question because it's costing us games. As soon as we get healthy, we're going to sit some guys out. That's a definite."

wow. trotz is pissed.

Old
12-11-2005, 10:33 AM
handtrick

On the TB Board they mentioned that in the post game show they discussed how Sullivan speared Sarich in the back of the knee to start the scrum at the end of the game.
Anybody catch any discussion of that anywhere?

Old
12-11-2005, 11:29 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by handtrick
On the TB Board they mentioned that in the post game show they discussed how Sullivan speared Sarich in the back of the knee to start the scrum at the end of the game.
Anybody catch any discussion of that anywhere?
Yeah he might have "speared" him while he was trying to get the puck away in the final seconds.....as soon as the game ended the guy went for Sully's head with his stick...

Old
12-11-2005, 04:56 PM
joe_shannon_1983*

Send a message via MSN to joe_shannon_1983*
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
wow. trotz is pissed.
I think that those statements made by Trotz about Upshall are out of line.

I don't care how bad a game went for you or how stupid a player played in one game.

You don't say to the media, "He's not that valuable of a player for us."

That is the type of stuff that causes a team to quit on it's coach.

Old
12-11-2005, 05:10 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferns8916

I don't care how bad a game went for you or how stupid a player played in one game.

But it's becoming a theme with certain players. When you're costing your team more than you're helping, you deserve to be called out for it. Sometimes, a wake-up call is the best thing in the world for a player.

Old
12-11-2005, 08:09 PM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferns8916

I'm sorry....you know what about our team or our coach?????

Closed Thread