HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So What Do We Do About Dustin Brown ?

Closed Thread

Old
11-23-2005, 12:32 AM
Rob Stauber*

vCash: 500
So What Do We Do About Dustin Brown ?

1. Nothing ?

2. Bench him ?

Ever since that SJ game where his penalty led to the late goal, he hasn't been playing as well. He'll still throw the occasional hit but the puck just cant stay on his stick.

What do we do ?

Old
11-23-2005, 12:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Stauber
1. Nothing ?

2. Bench him ?

Ever since that SJ game where his penalty led to the late goal, he hasn't been playing as well. He'll still throw the occasional hit but the puck just cant stay on his stick.

What do we do ?
send him to Manchester

Old
11-23-2005, 12:39 AM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
send him to Manchester

That would be balderdash.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:39 AM
ILuvLA

He's been pretty tentative, almost like he's afraid of taking a penalty.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:41 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I think that's the problem, he's scared he's going to get called for something. Maybe a game or two in Manchester would do the trick, but I'd say bench him and let him watch for a couple of games.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Rob Stauber*

I think if you were to put him on a line with Avery & Belanger, he could REALLY flourish. Problem is Cowan has been playing pretty damn well on that line (And I was a Cowan Hater)

Old
11-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
I think that's the problem, he's scared he's going to get called for something. Maybe a game or two in Manchester would do the trick, but I'd say bench him and let him watch for a couple of games.
The problem with sending him to Manchester is the fact that he would not clear waivers.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:51 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
The problem with sending him to Manchester is the fact that he would not clear waivers.
Agree - there' no way he'd clear waiver. Benching seemed to work for Camalleri, so why not Brownie?

Old
11-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Agree - there' no way he'd clear waiver. Benching seemed to work for Camalleri, so why not Brownie?

Here's how I look at it:

You have to take each case differently.

In Cammalleri's case, he had/has a chip on his shoulder and when Murray benched him, he basically came back with a big FU to AM.

For some reason, with Brownie, I think if they were to bench, and if they kept winning, it could harm him mentally.

I mean, he's been playin tenatively of late. If you bench, it could get worse. It worked with Cammy but that doesnt mean it would work with Brown.

If I was AM, I'd put him on the 4th line to take any pressure/expectations of him.

And heck, keep him in front of the net on the PP and drop Conroy to the second unit.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:56 AM
GoneFullHextall
JR=clueless

vCash: 50
Quote:
That would be balderdash.

i know it would. I was kidding btw

Old
11-23-2005, 01:02 AM
William H Bonney

He just seems to be scared to make a mistake in all facets....Whether it's taking a shot and not passing it, or making a hit and taking a penalty, he looks scared to make a mistake...Hopefully the coaches talk to him about it, it's up to them.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:04 AM
Rob Stauber*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey
He just seems to be scared to make a mistake in all facets....Whether it's taking a shot and not passing it, or making a hit and taking a penalty, he looks scared to make a mistake...Hopefully the coaches talk to him about it, it's up to them.

Exactly. Talk to him and let him in a caring fashion.

Play hardball with Frolov & Cammy worked, but maybe Brown's a different case.

Im really interested in seeing how Murray handles him.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Reaper45

Yeah I didn't know he'd have to clear waivers.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:25 AM
TubbyTerrion*

Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
Yeah I didn't know he'd have to clear waivers.
I have a feeling he wouldn't, but that being said, sending him to Manchester would probably not be the answer...

Old
11-23-2005, 01:30 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
I have a feeling he wouldn't, but that being said, sending him to Manchester would probably not be the answer...
Hey Tubby, I know you love my avatar!

Old
11-23-2005, 01:41 AM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Exactly. Talk to him and let him in a caring fashion.

Play hardball with Frolov & Cammy worked, but maybe Brown's a different case.

Im really interested in seeing how Murray handles him.
I think this is more telling in regards to Andy Murray than it is towards the players....it just seems more and more obvious that he's clueless when it comes to younger players.

Old
11-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyTerrion
My bad....I thought he had played in more games than he has. He would need to clear waivers after playing in 80 NHL games. He is currently at 53.

Old
11-23-2005, 02:13 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

i think brown is still effective in our lineup....he may be struggling offesnively, but should be expected of a 20 year old playing in his first full season....whats important is that he's still the most physical FW the team has, and he still make s for a great checking FW.

Old
11-23-2005, 02:34 AM
Osprey

Well, he was demoted to the 3rd line against the Blues. That is something that I suggested a couple days ago. It'd make sense to give him at least a couple more games in that position before making another change (such as benching him or sending him down). It's not looking good after one game, though.

Old
11-23-2005, 06:17 AM
King Blazer

Although sending him to Manchester might be an option, it translates to him probably taking away ice time from Pushkarev and trust me, Pushkarev needs to see a lot of ice time...

As far as benching him goes, it doesn't appear that they're considering it at this time. They just sent Giuliano and Flinn back to Manchester. There are no healthy scratch forwards with the Kings at the moment. Basically the Kings would need to recall a player from Manchester or skate with 7 d-men. They've got Noah available to them, but he's on the 30-day - 10-game cumulative program before he'd have to clear waivers again. They might be saving some of Noah's time for later in the season if he's needed for injuries. Tambellini? Probably needs some more time in the AHL...

At the moment, the Kings system isn't really very deep with NHL ready players...

They rushed Brown into the NHL a couple of seasons ago. They rushed him into a top-6 spot this season. I'm not in the least bit surprised at what we're seeing from him at this point. His offensive game is still very young and his defensive game barely exists. If his name was Cammalleri, he'd already be in Manchester IF offensive production is something they expect from him at this point. So they'll likely continue to pay Brown his close to a million dollar salary to learn how to play all the while preaching fiscal responsibility and singing their own praises about their player "development" system...

Last edited by King Blazer: 11-23-2005 at 06:25 AM.
Old
11-23-2005, 06:28 AM
Kick

I think, as some posters have been saying for some time now, that we're seeing that Brown is not ready to be a top 6 NHL forward yet. Give him time on the 3rd or 4th line for a while, take some pressure off him and he'll work it out.

Old
11-23-2005, 07:33 AM
Brodie562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobey
I think this is more telling in regards to Andy Murray than it is towards the players....it just seems more and more obvious that he's clueless when it comes to younger players.
Brown just needs to play on a bottom 6 line where there isnt any pressure on him to score. He'll work his way up.

Now with regards to Andy Murray not knowing what hes doing with the younger players, i think he's proven that he does:

Frolov: is having a break out year and putting up great numbers. AM handled him really well his rookie year, i believe he benched him for a couple of games to let him know that his spot on the team wasn't set in stone.

Cammalleri: I was upset with the benching of Cammalleri at the beginning of the season, but he responded. Even if Cammalleri's play is in spite of Andy Murray. The benching and trips to Manchester seem to be paying off now. They seem to have humbled him and now he's working his @$$ off to not give AM a reason to say he doesnt belong in the NHL.(throwing a couple of checks, making some very heads up defensive plays while on the point during the power play and on the wing, Jim Fox has pointed many out)

Then theres Gleason, nothing i could say here just that hes just a stud!

In what way has Andy Murray mishandled the young players and which player/s?

Last edited by Brodie562: 11-23-2005 at 07:42 AM.
Old
11-23-2005, 08:47 AM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie562
Then there's Gleason...
I don't believe Gleason is a product of Andy Murray's player management or mismanagement style. I'd probably chalk that one up instead to the GM and/or the scouts and likely be thankful that Murray didn't have to do anything but put him in the lineup and get out of the way.

As for Brown, the question that has to be answered is, what do they (not us) expect of him? How do you condition a potential point-every-other-game scorer? On the bottom six lines? Or is he supposed to be a grinder? I'm sure AM has some plan for how to condition Brown for the role(s) he is to play, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see what Murray does.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:38 PM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:

What do we do ?
Move him to a third or fourth line. Eventually the offense will come.

Some speech therapy wouldnt hurt.

Old
11-23-2005, 12:47 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer
Although sending him to Manchester might be an option, it translates to him probably taking away ice time from Pushkarev and trust me, Pushkarev needs to see a lot of ice time...

As far as benching him goes, it doesn't appear that they're considering it at this time. They just sent Giuliano and Flinn back to Manchester. There are no healthy scratch forwards with the Kings at the moment. Basically the Kings would need to recall a player from Manchester or skate with 7 d-men. They've got Noah available to them, but he's on the 30-day - 10-game cumulative program before he'd have to clear waivers again. They might be saving some of Noah's time for later in the season if he's needed for injuries. Tambellini? Probably needs some more time in the AHL...

At the moment, the Kings system isn't really very deep with NHL ready players...

They rushed Brown into the NHL a couple of seasons ago. They rushed him into a top-6 spot this season. I'm not in the least bit surprised at what we're seeing from him at this point. His offensive game is still very young and his defensive game barely exists. If his name was Cammalleri, he'd already be in Manchester IF offensive production is something they expect from him at this point. So they'll likely continue to pay Brown his close to a million dollar salary to learn how to play all the while preaching fiscal responsibility and singing their own praises about their player "development" system...

Closed Thread