HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's Prucha's potential?

Closed Thread

Old
12-14-2005, 12:14 AM
Edge

vCash: 500
I think point on Prucha and Gartner got misread a little.

I'm not saying Prucha is going to score 700 NHL goals, but rather be Mr. Consistency. Despite his numbers, there were always better scorers than Gartner. He was just strangely consistent about it. Kind of like what Palmiero was in baseball.

Prucha has the potential of a very good player who could consistently net the same amount of goals.

As for Ranger prospect being underrated, I don't really think so. I think they tend to be a bit overrated as a whole. Every nice third line player, is turned into a potential higher player when he has a good game or is a potential bust when he has a bad game.

The Rangers as a whole have nice, solid players. Some will rise a little above that, but I still don't see a cornerstone forward. I think they have guys who could be GREAT core players, but they still lack some cornerstones. That will be interesting to watch.

I think as a whole the board tends to be either too high or too low. Patience and room for evaluation go a long way.

It's also very important to rmember that everyone is trying to adjust projections and potential to reflect the new NHL. A smaller guy with good hands and a weak body projects a little higher now than he did two years ago. A bigger stronger, but slower guy is also going to be judged different.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:23 AM
abe jr

vCash: 3510
35g 25a

Old
12-14-2005, 02:40 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Staal I still think projects as a very safe number two defenseman who can move the puck and play defense. I haven't really changed on that, I think he is continuing his natural progression. Unfortunatly (and this a result of so many Rangers draftees under achieving or flopping) when a player progresses now, we see it more as evolving and I don't think that's really fair to the prospect. We start turning them into something that they still probably won't be. Unfortunatly what also happens is (because this a "prospect" site) we've gotten into this stigma where any player (especially first rounders) who isn't a future star is worthless. You know a number two, two-way defenseman at the NHL is still a pretty damn valuable player when all is said and done.
Would you see him as a Scott Hannan type player - a shutdown defenseman with good wheels and can contribute somewhat to the offense?

I think the "requirement" of great teams having a "#1 defenseman" is vastly overstated. There are very, very few defensemen who are dominant on both ends of the rink, and many teams win the Cup without one. The defensively dominant, physical defenseman who is a good skater and can contribute to the offense (though isn't excellent there) is almost as rare as the stereotypical #1 defenseman, and I would say almost as valuable.

Old
12-14-2005, 07:04 AM
Entrancemperium

The cool thing is that Prucha is getting noticed over here in sweden and swedish tv only cares about swedes scoring and ofcourse they've mentioned Crosby and Ovechkin but Pruchais getting noticed and that is truly unusual

Old
12-14-2005, 08:22 AM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenSteen
Higher than most Rangers fans thought his potential was before they saw him play, obviously.

On a numbers standpoint, it is fairly difficult to tell.. but he will be a legit 1st liner.
i agree

prucha is the first ranger prospect that has exceeded my expectations

i thought tyutin would be that guy

Old
12-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
lets revisit this point after his sophomore year!

Old
12-14-2005, 08:47 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Again, I still see Prucha as being our version of Brian Gionta.

12-14-2005, 08:53 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Could be. IF (notice the rather large if) his scoring touch is for real (meaning he can score 30 rather than 20), with his grit and willingness to both give and take a hit, he could end up in the Elias range. If Sather managed to unearth such a gem in the 8th round, then he would deserve full kudos (despite the fact that I would still wish him pain).
But let's see how Prucha continues. I know that last night was quite a Pru-ha-ha with his goals and a few hits. But let's see if he wears down at all when the season hits 50 games. I know we are all excited by him, but before I do a sommesault and admit that we have that top-6 forward that I have been craving, I would like to see how he does over the course of an entire season.
But for now, he sure is fun to watch. Anyone see the open ice hit he laid on Cooke? Looked like a safety hitting a running back.

Old
12-14-2005, 09:08 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
If wee-man could score 40 goals, Prucha can certainly do that and more. Gionta is an overachiever, I see Prucha with more skill and greater size potential.

Old
12-14-2005, 09:25 AM
JerseyRangers

I believe someone else made this comparison and I agree. Prucha reminds me of Dino Ciccarelli. Same type of player; gets involved down low in front of the crease, can deflect the puck or wait for a rebound and put it back in. Prucha's a better skater but other than that he is very similiar.

Old
12-14-2005, 09:37 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Could be. IF (notice the rather large if) his scoring touch is for real (meaning he can score 30 rather than 20), with his grit and willingness to both give and take a hit, he could end up in the Elias range. If Sather managed to unearth such a gem in the 8th round, then he would deserve full kudos (despite the fact that I would still wish him pain).
I'm more willing to give Renney credit on Prucha. I still think Maloney and Renney are more responsible for the procurement of young talent. If Sather gets credit, its for having the responsibility of having Renney and Maloney in place.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:25 AM
Park 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
I believe someone else made this comparison and I agree. Prucha reminds me of Dino Ciccarelli. Same type of player; gets involved down low in front of the crease, can deflect the puck or wait for a rebound and put it back in. Prucha's a better skater but other than that he is very similiar.
Dino Ciccarelli was tougher and much dirtier than Prucha and would work in the corners - particularly early in his career with Minnesota.

Old
12-14-2005, 10:37 AM
Draft Guru

40 G, 25 A..65 pts.

Old
12-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Nemchinov13

What impresses me about Prucha is that he's the only forward from the 1st PP unit who is willing to stand in front of the net to deflect shots and get rebounds. In this quality, he reminds me of Mike York who would do the same. Of course, this is the "new" NHL and Prucha would simply be cross-checked and crushed in the old NHL. Still, he did the deflection and rebound collection on his 1st goal yesterday, and it speaks volumes about what this kid is ready to do to score. And he is always willing to take a hit to make a play. He is our 1st line LW for years to come.

Edge, who would fill in the rest 5 spots on top two lines from our prospect pool?

Old
12-14-2005, 12:33 PM
schmieder44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru
40 G, 25 A..65 pts.
Right on. You watch enough sports sadly as i do, you can tell when a player is gonna be a special player. This kid has that look or that intangible aspect to his game that is different than most prospects, no doubt about it. At this point in his career he is a sniper. He plays a solid 2 way game and perhaps if he played with a good playmaker his stats can be 45g 35. Perhaps a little below Pavel bure(offensively), but far better defensively. thats how is see him anyway

Old
12-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan
Would you see him as a Scott Hannan type player - a shutdown defenseman with good wheels and can contribute somewhat to the offense?

I think the "requirement" of great teams having a "#1 defenseman" is vastly overstated. There are very, very few defensemen who are dominant on both ends of the rink, and many teams win the Cup without one. The defensively dominant, physical defenseman who is a good skater and can contribute to the offense (though isn't excellent there) is almost as rare as the stereotypical #1 defenseman, and I would say almost as valuable.

I think he as a lot more natural talent than Hannan.

I think great teams need a number one defenseman, though that doesn't necessarily mean he dominates both ends of the ice. I also think the Rangers could be a great team without one. Staal not being a number 1 defenseman doesn't make the team any less great, it just means Staal is what he is. Of course he could surpass that, but I think at the NHL level he's a steady two guy. I think more than anything what Staal does very well, is fly somewhat under the radar. Somewhat he reminds me of Larry Robinson. That's not a projection for him, but rather the "kind" of player he is.

Old
12-14-2005, 03:46 PM
natureboy*

Prucha reminds me of martin st louis

Old
12-14-2005, 04:03 PM
LoonieToon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Park #2
Heatley is a Franchise player, as are all of those you mention. (I'm not big on Kovalchuk, he's lazy and has a horrible attitude)
You are 100% wrong about Kovalchuk. The way he acted after the Heatley accident was admirable - stood by his buddy Heatley, supported the Snyder family, and carried the team on his back all season. Instead of making sweeping generalizations about Kovalchuk's character, consider his actual behavior. He is always the first one to congratulate a teammate on a goal, he's super with the fans, and he runs a serious charity in Atlanta. He is still a defensive liability, but he's getting better: he certainly makes an effort to backcheck and he's always been physical. I have no idea why you think Kovalchuk has a bad attitude. He's exteremely popular in Atlanta and his teammates seem to love him.

Old
12-14-2005, 06:18 PM
Sicilian

i'm not gonna get into numbers, cuz i don't think they're the most important thing to consider, but what i love about the kid so far is his nose for the net. he clearly has the instincts to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of goal scoring opportunities. a lot like lucky luc in his day (DISCLAIMER: i don't think he'll get anywhere NEAR robitaille's production, just using the style as an example)

now, 15 goals in 27 games with his limited ice time is impressive, but he only has 3 assists. part of that could be his linemates, but what we should all watch out for is whether this kid can improve upon his playmaking abilities and become a more complete offensive player WITHOUT his finishing abilities suffering any. they be mutually exclusive.

Old
12-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
i'm not gonna get into numbers, cuz i don't think they're the most important thing to consider, but what i love about the kid so far is his nose for the net. he clearly has the instincts to be in the right place at the right time to take advantage of goal scoring opportunities. a lot like lucky luc in his day (DISCLAIMER: i don't think he'll get anywhere NEAR robitaille's production, just using the style as an example)
I was thinking the exact same thing!

There are some Lucky Luc in him.

I am not gooing to try to estimate Pruchas "potential". Just enjoy the ride!!!

Old
12-14-2005, 07:37 PM
Scumgrief

Send a message via AIM to Scumgrief Send a message via Yahoo to Scumgrief
you know this kid kinda reminds me of Bure..But can play two ways. has moves like WHOA , fast as the wind, and knows where ot be to score..He might never score as many goals as Bure but he kidna looks like him a bit.

Old
12-14-2005, 07:54 PM
ihatenewjersey

as soon as i saw him shoot a lazer of a wrister past brodeur in the pre season, i knew i would love him....

Old
12-14-2005, 08:01 PM
BlackRanger

if u look at the prospects that we have and the ones that are successful esp. the late rounders they one big thing in common...RELENTLESS WORK ETHIC in order to continually improve

Old
12-14-2005, 08:15 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Depends on who you are talking about as Ranger fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas
Okay, let me ask you a question - when you begin to see a player like Prucha, who was not expected to already reach this level, or Moore immediately take to a successful role in the NHL, or Lundqvist immediately setting a high standard in goal, do you begin to re-evaluate what exactly the Rangers have in their system?
evaluating what we had. Some venture valuations without ever seeing someone play, either in person or on the dish.

None of the players you have mentioned has surprised me all that much. Prucha & Lundqvist are the classic example of what scouting is all about. Many ranger fans were wholly ignorant as to what Sather was doing and still do see it. While his record with the big squad was very iffy at best, the opposite was true on the scouting and development end. He spent money bring in top quality talent evaluators. At last count I think we have 4 guys who were directors of scouting for other teams. Now you know they aren't cheap.

Renney said from day one they were looking for specfic types of players, attitude and skill wise. Again many fans have failed to comprehend how long it takes for drafted players to develop. Many think it should only take a year or two. Late round picks are late round picks because they are not as developed, in theory, as the earlier round players or possess some grave flaw in their game.

Talking about prospects do you have any idea when Ahonen will be NHL ready?

There are posters here who have scuffed at the idea that we have over 30 quality prospects. Whether they all pan out is up to those players, how committed they are. Prucha and Lundqvist were dedicated, so is Moore, same with Hollweg. Tyutin and was a 2nd rounder like Moore and you expect them to at least have a decent shot. But Moore was from Havard, not a known hockey player producing environement.

Nigel Dawes is another one. He had just as good, if not better WJC than did Parise. In fact he led the WJC in scoring (he had more goals, same # of points and in any scoring race the guy with the most goals is the winner if tied in points). Yet Parise is the 2nd coming and Dawes is dog meat because he a whole 2 inches shorter!
Dawes goes out and has another solid WJC the follwoing year. Still no respect. Goes out and has back to back to back 40 goal + seasons in the physically tough WHL! Dawes will be heard from.

Staal was a steal. There are going to be several teams kicking themselves for passing on him. Reminds me of Larry Robinson at the same age.

Personally I go by what I see, not what I read on here, THN (which is quoted as bible my some on here) or McKeens or any of the other publications. Don't get me wrong. They serve a purpose. They peak your interest. But I make it a habit to see the player first and I key on the things I focus on and deem important and try to get several opportunties to see the player before formulating an opinion and evaluation.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:17 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

After seeing clips of him and some game film

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
I think point on Prucha and Gartner got misread a little.

I'm not saying Prucha is going to score 700 NHL goals, but rather be Mr. Consistency. Despite his numbers, there were always better scorers than Gartner. He was just strangely consistent about it. Kind of like what Palmiero was in baseball.

Prucha has the potential of a very good player who could consistently net the same amount of goals.

As for Ranger prospect being underrated, I don't really think so. I think they tend to be a bit overrated as a whole. Every nice third line player, is turned into a potential higher player when he has a good game or is a potential bust when he has a bad game.

The Rangers as a whole have nice, solid players. Some will rise a little above that, but I still don't see a cornerstone forward. I think they have guys who could be GREAT core players, but they still lack some cornerstones. That will be interesting to watch.

I think as a whole the board tends to be either too high or too low. Patience and room for evaluation go a long way.

It's also very important to rmember that everyone is trying to adjust projections and potential to reflect the new NHL. A smaller guy with good hands and a weak body projects a little higher now than he did two years ago. A bigger stronger, but slower guy is also going to be judged different.
I thought he reminded me of Ricky Middleton. Maybe not the play maker, but damn shifty. He's got some Pat Verbeek in him too!

Closed Thread