HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Nylander

Closed Thread

Old
12-13-2005, 10:56 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

vCash: 500
Nylander

Whats Nylander's deal lately?

The first quarter of the season he was a dynamic, playmaking, space creating, impressive player and the last number of games hes been almost invisible, not skatingand ending up with last nights bone-headed play of the game by not clearing that rebound out of harms way.

Is it a result of his line demotion? Loss of confidence? An injury? Just a slump?

To be honest, coming into the season I hadn't seen him play much, but was excited to have him on this team especially since Jagr had him as a sidekick before and they put together some good numbers.
But can someone who had seen him play in the past please tell me if this is a usual lul in his play, and not just his OLD SELF, because I was actually becoming very impressed and a fan of his in the first 20 games or so...

Old
12-13-2005, 10:59 PM
FLYLine24*

Its a bad attitude. A lazy attitude. That what is problem as been recently. A good swift kick in the arse should do it...or being scratched a game.

Old
12-13-2005, 11:34 PM
Edge

Nylander's deal is that he;s Nylander. He's played like this his whole career and I doubt that is going to change at the age of 33.

Sometimes he is a solid playmaker who comes in under the radar.

Other times he makes moves that makes you scratch your head and wonder if he is sleep walking.

Old
12-13-2005, 11:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

He has slowed down a bit. He did have a nagging injury and since then he does seem to have slowed down. Earlier in the season he was making nice cuts and turns on the ice, now you dont see it too much.

Old
12-14-2005, 12:06 AM
nyr7andcounting

He's 33 years old. He's not going to be at the top of his game all season. I also think he was playing well because he was with Jagr. Jagr creates a lot of space and draws a lot of attention. Lately he's been on the 2nd line and hasn't created any offense, probably because he needs top wingers if he's going to do anything decent.

Old
12-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Edge

Guys this has nothing to do with age or injuries or whatnot. What you see is what you get with this guy. This isn't news, this is his M.O.

Old
12-14-2005, 05:26 AM
heywood*

he (like many rangers) is soft with the puck.

Old
12-14-2005, 06:52 AM
Nacho
Special

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88
Its a bad attitude. A lazy attitude. That what is problem as been recently. A good swift kick in the arse should do it...or being scratched a game.
Or you could just put him back on the 1st line...

Old
12-14-2005, 06:54 AM
shoothepuck

He is what he is and maybe expectations were a bit high for him. He did have a nice assist with Prucha, but then the dumb clearing play at the end makes him look bad.

Old
12-14-2005, 07:26 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
I agree in that he has been a capable journeyman all his life. He was/is certainly good enough to attract attention but not good enough to stay and perform consistently....

He is and never was a long term solution....

Old
12-14-2005, 07:44 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
I think he should be on the first line with Jagr and Rucinsky. Putting Straka with Prucha would create a lot of speed and would cause a lot of problems for other teams.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:01 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Nylander's deal is that he;s Nylander. He's played like this his whole career and I doubt that is going to change at the age of 33.

Sometimes he is a solid playmaker who comes in under the radar.

Other times he makes moves that makes you scratch your head and wonder if he is sleep walking.
You are dead on. Though, it may be hard to belive but he was much worse in his younger days, he have always been really skilled but that was what really kept him back when he was young. In his early 20's he would try to take the puck end to end up one goal with 1 minute left to play. I am not joking or using a extreme example, he would do that.

He have some serious mental issues that defenitly won't be cured by kicking him in the ***, he is just not that type of guy who will respond on that. His misstake last night for example, like FLY said should warrent a scratch or a big kick in the ***, for any other player, Nyllet don't respond well to thoose kind of stuff. Nyllet are like Jagr in that aspect.

What you see is what you get with Nyllet. He will come back and play well for a while, then make some misstakes, play well again, misstakes again and on.

Nyllet defenitly have his sides, but they aren't only negative sides. Most players are affected by pressure. But Nyllet more often then not plays his best hockey, which is pretty darn good, when the pressure is the highest or when the team around him sucks. I've seen Nylander a ton on the national team, often when the other stars have the jitters in a important game its Nylander who steps up, or when the team just have a bad day Nylander often steps up.

With Nyllet you can't have it all, his bad stretches will always come.

Old
12-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Canadude*

It all changed when he was taken off of Jagr's line. In fact team scoring changed at that moment. The Rangers have struggled ever since. Put him back with Jagr!

Old
12-14-2005, 12:41 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
You are dead on. Though, it may be hard to belive but he was much worse in his younger days, he have always been really skilled but that was what really kept him back when he was young. In his early 20's he would try to take the puck end to end up one goal with 1 minute left to play. I am not joking or using a extreme example, he would do that.

He have some serious mental issues that defenitly won't be cured by kicking him in the ***, he is just not that type of guy who will respond on that. His misstake last night for example, like FLY said should warrent a scratch or a big kick in the ***, for any other player, Nyllet don't respond well to thoose kind of stuff. Nyllet are like Jagr in that aspect.

What you see is what you get with Nyllet. He will come back and play well for a while, then make some misstakes, play well again, misstakes again and on.

Nyllet defenitly have his sides, but they aren't only negative sides. Most players are affected by pressure. But Nyllet more often then not plays his best hockey, which is pretty darn good, when the pressure is the highest or when the team around him sucks. I've seen Nylander a ton on the national team, often when the other stars have the jitters in a important game its Nylander who steps up, or when the team just have a bad day Nylander often steps up.

With Nyllet you can't have it all, his bad stretches will always come.

Pretty much sums it up.

I was never a huge Nylander fan, but when he's on he's a quiet but effective weapon.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Fletch

The Rangers' scoring...

seemed to be in the doldrums while Nylander was with Jagr, prompting the move. People in here were ******** all over Nylander for some time. And realistically, if Jags kept up the pace, he'd be breaking some records; he is still leading the league in scoring and tied for first in goals.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:14 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I think you guys just get frustrated any time a player has a slump. Look at this: Prucha (15G, 3A) is to his left... Prucha has chemistry with Jagr, but on even strength, he creates plays on his own, so Nylander is obsolete with him... to the right is Hossa... watching the 15-round shootout with WSH, I've basically written him off. He's the laziest player we've got.

Nylander is still skating well, especially with the puck. He's not Nedved. At least he gets involved. I'd like to see you guys sprain your ankles like that and then play hockey.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
I think you guys just get frustrated any time a player has a slump. Look at this: Prucha (15G, 3A) is to his left... Prucha has chemistry with Jagr, but on even strength, he creates plays on his own, so Nylander is obsolete with him... to the right is Hossa... watching the 15-round shootout with WSH, I've basically written him off. He's the laziest player we've got.

Nylander is still skating well, especially with the puck. He's not Nedved. At least he gets involved. I'd like to see you guys sprain your ankles like that and then play hockey.
I think we could have done allot worse. Nylander stands out a little because he causes people to pull their hair more then the most. But overall I think he plays pretty well, and deserves more credit then he gets when dooing so. Take Prucha's 2nd goal against Nashville, thats a amazing play right there. How often does Alex Yashin creates something like that? Nylander also takes the puck up ice really well, that canŽ't be said about Yashin, Lindros, Nedved, Allison and even Thornton. That don't warrant many points ect. but offense is the best defense.

Old
12-14-2005, 01:30 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
I agree 100%

Old
12-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR
I agree 100%
Its also interesting when you compare him to other centers in our division. Who have been better then him this year, Crosby and Forsberg? Other then that he practically have outplayed them all. Yashin, Kvasha, Gomez, Madden, Parise, Handzus, Carter and Lemiuxe. He have his sides but he is still playing pretty well.

Old
12-14-2005, 04:29 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
It's also worth noting that even though he is obviously in a slump and not playing as well as he was earlier in the season, he's still putting up points on a regular basis.

Old
12-14-2005, 04:47 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Nacho.....who is that wailling away in your avatar? Damn!

Old
12-14-2005, 05:14 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
Nylander was playing like crap for the Rangers, until Chuck Norris showed up to roundhouse Nylander. Nylander then went on to break Gretzsky's single season records, for fear of his life.

Closed Thread