HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Eddie O out in Pittsburgh/personal story

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2005, 12:44 AM
TheZherdev

vCash: 500
Penguins fire coach Ed Olczyk

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=146965&hubname=

Old
12-15-2005, 12:47 AM
Large_Farva*

Send a message via MSN to Large_Farva*
Now Olczyk is by no means a good coach but I have to feel bad for him having to coach a horrible team that Patrick put together. But, he'll have to take most of the blame.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:47 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Eddie O out in Pittsburgh/personal story

former Ranger Eddie Olczyk was fired as Pens coach today and while I see on the Pens board he's not much a fan favorite, ill add my two cents and a little story from when I was younger.

When I was eight I was diagnosed with a pretty serious but not life threatening sickness. All in all it wasn't too big of a deal. Spent a week in the hospital, was out of school a few months etc. A friend of my uncle who knew a guy who knew a guy etc, knew Eddie's agent or someone like that. My uncle asked if I could get an autograph, just something to cheer my spirits up.

Not only did he agree to sign some autographs, he suggested coming to my house in Jersey for a suprise visit. I found it a little weird that when I got up that morning my brother kept pushing for me to put on my stanley cup t-shirt and when I walked downstairs there were some family members and my parents, all wearing jersey, t-shirts etc. Then the doorbell rang and there was Eddie-O just being a good guy showing up at a sick kids house. it was like christmas. i never would have thought this guy would come to my house even if i was dying.

We hung out in my kitchen for a while, he took what must have been 100 pictures and signed a million autographs for everyone and just acted like a regular guy talking with me at the kitchen table. He brought a few sticks and then he asked if I wanted to shoot some pucks in the driveway cause he saw my net out there. So there we were, outside my house shooting on goal with an NHLer. So while some people want to say thank God Eddie is out in Pittsburgh, the guy really helped me out when I was down and I'll never forget it.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:49 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Wow. Thats really incredible, man. That's touching as hell.

Old
12-15-2005, 12:55 AM
Pens75
Pens Fan Since 1975

Edzo is a class act and a stand up guy.

Great human.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:06 AM
NYR2

Wow what a great story.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:12 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
yea they are underachieving, but not by much. this team isn't that good.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:09 AM
in the hall

great story

Old
12-15-2005, 06:26 AM

Good to hear. The guys a first class person. I'm hoping that he can groom himself to be a coach instead of just jumping into it again and catch a break in the future. He seemed to love what he was doing and from all accounts was a non stop worker.

Old
12-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmessier011
So while some people want to say thank God Eddie is out in Pittsburgh, the guy really helped me out when I was down and I'll never forget it.
Great story man. It's great to see guys who are living their dream to take some time out and help out people who don't have it so good.

Will be interesting to see how the Pens respond to this. Seems like this is a make or break time for the franchise. I wouldn't want to be Michele Therrien right now, that's for sure.

Old
12-15-2005, 09:42 AM
You 'Orns!

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
For the Penguins this was the right move. With the firepower on that team, they could be very dangerous. Or they could be the Atlanta Thrashers, which would still be an improvement.

I am very disappointed for Eddie O, though. The guy was one of my favourite players, has always seemed like a class act (which has now been confirmed by nyrmessier011) and I think that as a smart hockey player, he could be a pretty good coach with the right organisation. Even if he doesn't coach any more, I am sure he'll stay in the hockey universe, though. A guy with his sort of personality is too valuable to be passed up by any NHL team. He could return to the broadcast booth or be hired by Pittsburgh or Chicago in a similar capacity to what Adam Graves does with the Rangers.

Good luck, Eddie!

Old
12-15-2005, 10:39 AM
heywood*

Quote:
yea they are underachieving, but not by much. this team isn't that good.
very accurate comment.

Old
12-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Benji Frank

Eddie was an awesome player & person in Wpg. Unfortunately, when it comes to coaching, the good guys certainly finish last. You got 23 of the most talented players in the world rich beyond their wildest dreams and it's your job to try to motivate them to win. I don't think you'll ever see a "nice guy" win the cup. Just look at the guys who won the last few years. For the most part, they were egotistic guys who their players grudgingly respected... Therien sounds like a disciplinarian type coach. Over the next 20 or so games, Mario and Patrick will realize removing Eddie was the right choice.......

Old
12-15-2005, 01:25 PM
heywood*

wonderful story.

Old
12-15-2005, 01:29 PM
tom_servo

Quote:

former Ranger Eddie Olczyk was fired as Pens coach today and while I see on the Pens board he's not much a fan favorite, ill add my two cents and a little story from when I was younger.

When I was eight I was diagnosed with a pretty serious but not life threatening sickness. All in all it wasn't too big of a deal. Spent a week in the hospital, was out of school a few months etc. A friend of my uncle who knew a guy who knew a guy etc, knew Eddie's agent or someone like that. My uncle asked if I could get an autograph, just something to cheer my spirits up.

Not only did he agree to sign some autographs, he suggested coming to my house in Jersey for a suprise visit. I found it a little weird that when I got up that morning my brother kept pushing for me to put on my stanley cup t-shirt and when I walked downstairs there were some family members and my parents, all wearing jersey, t-shirts etc. Then the doorbell rang and there was Eddie-O just being a good guy showing up at a sick kids house. it was like christmas. i never would have thought this guy would come to my house even if i was dying.

We hung out in my kitchen for a while, he took what must have been 100 pictures and signed a million autographs for everyone and just acted like a regular guy talking with me at the kitchen table. He brought a few sticks and then he asked if I wanted to shoot some pucks in the driveway cause he saw my net out there. So there we were, outside my house shooting on goal with an NHLer. So while some people want to say thank God Eddie is out in Pittsburgh, the guy really helped me out when I was down and I'll never forget it.
That's a great story.

Edzo may not have had a great start to his coaching career, but I will say that he's still very much respected around here, for things just like that. Speaking as a Penguins fan, we very much want him to succeed, and are disappointed that it didn't work out here.

Old
12-15-2005, 02:45 PM
Fletch

eddie's a great guy, supposedly...

and apparently he was a great teammate too. Everybody on the Rangers wanted his name on the Cup, even though he spent a lot of time as captain of the Black Aces. Shame his team sucked.

Old
12-15-2005, 04:51 PM
shoothepuck

Nice story. Some of the players need to get fired-up, now that they fired the coach.

Old
12-15-2005, 05:13 PM
ru22ss

Send a message via ICQ to ru22ss
As a Penguins fan, it is a real shame that Eddie didn't work out as coach. More so, I think it's a real shame that the Penguins are off to such a bad "start" this season, that a shake up was needed and Eddie was the guy to go.
Last season I went to the last game of the year and was very impressed with Edzo. Not only did he have the Penguins playing great hockey to finish the season, but was a real classy guy...came out on the ice, gave a nice speech to the fans, etc.
OT, you wanna talk about a poor team, THAT Penguins team sucked. The lineup the Pens have now should be able to compete....

Closed Thread