HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where is Kopitar playing this year?

Closed Thread

Old
08-07-2005, 07:39 PM
Peter James Bond

vCash: 500
Where is Kopitar playing this year?

I read somehwere that he was going to play another year in Sweden, but that was before the draft.

I know that the Regina Pats of the WHL drafted him in the CHL import draft, thus he could play there this year.

I would like to see him come over to the Kings training camp, so he could see LA and get acquainted with the organization - staff and players - and maybe get in a few pre-season games...then play in the WHL to get acustomed to North American style of play. It would be interesting to see how he would do versus his age peers, as well as giving the Kings a better chance to monitor his play.

And if he is playing in Sweden this year, is he playing in the Junior League again, or moving up a Division? It seems that since he led the Jr League in scoring his first year there, it would be pointless to play at that level again.

Anyone heard anything?

For that matter, is Tukonen slated to play on the same team this year? If so, hopefully he gets more icetime and plays a significant role.

thanks.

Last edited by Peter James Bond: 08-07-2005 at 07:46 PM.
Old
08-07-2005, 07:45 PM
King Blazer

There are 4-options with Kopitar

1. NHL (I'd be shocked)
2. AHL (Oh yes he can, he's a first round pick!!!)
3. CHL (more specifically the Regina Pats, the DFL team in the WHL last season)
4. Europe (back to Sweden)

I vote #2...

Old
08-07-2005, 07:51 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Blazer

1. NHL (I'd be shocked)

I vote #2...
I was thinking, lets just sign Kopitar and Tukonen and get them over here to play in Manchester this year.

However, with the new CBA rules, what are the ramifications of that situation, if any? The new CBA has stipulations regarding years of service; that after 7 years (I think) you can become a free agent. Does that apply only to NHL service, or does it encompass pro hockey service, which would include AHL play? I wouldn't want to start Kopitar and Tukonen early in the AHL, only to be able to lose them to free agency at the age of 25. ?? Then again, you now have to offer Euros a contract 2 years after you draft them, correct?

Old
08-07-2005, 07:56 PM
King Blazer

I believe I read that a player will need to play in 40 or more NHL games (regular season and playoffs) for it to be considered a year of service. I'm NOT SURE if that's what was finally agreed to in the final CBA so if someone can confirm this PLEASE do...

Old
08-07-2005, 08:18 PM
Sam
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd have to guess Kopitar would be playing with Södertälje of the SEL. Regina selected Kopitar pretty late into the import draft and you'd have to think he would have been taken in the first if he was serious about coming over.

Also, Kopitar didn't even bother to attend the draft. Doesn't seem like he would come over this year.

Old
08-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
I'd have to guess Kopitar would be playing with Södertälje of the SEL. Regina selected Kopitar pretty late into the import draft and you'd have to think he would have been taken in the first if he was serious about coming over.

Also, Kopitar didn't even bother to attend the draft. Doesn't seem like he would come over this year.
He would probably come over if he was assured to be on the big club this year. I don't see that happening. Next year is more realistic.

Old
08-07-2005, 08:49 PM
Tadite

Quote:

1. NHL (I'd be shocked)

I vote #2...

Why you want to rush the kid to the AHL I have no idea.

Guy is going to be staying in Sweden. Which is fine. Good leagues, good coaches, good development. Can't go wrong with that.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:01 PM
King Blazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
Why you want to rush the kid to the AHL I have no idea.

Guy is going to be staying in Sweden. Which is fine. Good leagues, good coaches, good development. Can't go wrong with that.
I was just looking at it from a Monarchs fan's perspective.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:02 PM
Tadite

Quote:
I was just looking at it from a Monarchs fan's perspective.

Makes sense to me.

After camp we maybe will get a better idea. You could be geting Karlsson.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:28 PM
KINGLEWOOD

I think it would be best for him to come over and play in the WHL, if not I don't think he should stay in Sweeden after next season. Same goes for Tukonen in Finland, there are good teams in those countries in great leagues but both Finland and Sweeden have not been as good as in the past with player development. Hell look at Jens Karlsson he's a vet in the SEL and he's still struggling for ice time.

Old
08-07-2005, 09:34 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
The Kings did say that they were going to try and bring some of the Euros over right?

Who does eveyone think they will be? It's not like there are too many open spots in Manchester, so I'm pretty curious. Tukonen? I doubt it. Kopitar? I doubt it. Karlsson. Possibly.

Who else?

Old
08-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45
The Kings did say that they were going to try and bring some of the Euros over right?

Who does eveyone think they will be? It's not like there are too many open spots in Manchester, so I'm pretty curious. Tukonen? I doubt it. Kopitar? I doubt it. Karlsson. Possibly.

Who else?
Hadn't heard that. Karlsson is the only Euro Prospect that has come over so far that seem interesting. Maybe one of the smaller guys like Lyubushin or Juntunen?

Thinking about it though. You never know with Kopitar. We did sign Brown soon after the draft and sent him to the CHL. Guess we could do that same thing with Kopitar. Doubt it but you never know...

Old
08-07-2005, 10:16 PM
King Blazer

In an interview on the 4th? at www.nhsportsradio.com Gilmore indicated that they are looking to bring some of the Euros over and that they had to get them signed by Aug. 15 to be able to do it. He didn't name any of the players they are considering bringing over, just that they're forwards...

Old
08-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
In an interview on the 4th? at www.nhsportsradio.com Gilmore indicated that they are looking to bring some of the Euros over and that they had to get them signed by Aug. 15 to be able to do it. He didn't name any of the players they are considering bringing over, just that they're forwards...
I'm guessing it's Karlsson, and possibly Kopitar. I don't see Tukonen coming over yet, he just signed that new deal with the Blues. I'd be totally shocked if it was someone off the board like Shefer or Juntunen.

Old
08-07-2005, 10:47 PM
King Blazer

The guys coming over are going to have to play for $75,000 or less so that they can be moved between the NHL and the AHL. Honestly, I don't know how attractive that would be to these guys because I have no clue about how much they're making in Europe. Also, the Czechs and Russians have rejected the NHL-IIHF transfer agreement. I don't know if and how this effects any of the players the Kings are hoping to bring over...

Old
08-07-2005, 11:10 PM
Glockaxis

Have him play w/ the Kings on the first line since we lost Pallfy and might not get Frolov back (give him a Maybach as a signing bonus to replace his Benz).

Of course I'm joking.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:23 PM
Haik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
Hadn't heard that. Karlsson is the only Euro Prospect that has come over so far that seem interesting. Maybe one of the smaller guys like Lyubushin or Juntunen?

Thinking about it though. You never know with Kopitar. We did sign Brown soon after the draft and sent him to the CHL. Guess we could do that same thing with Kopitar. Doubt it but you never know...

We sent Brown to the CHL? Are you sure? I thought he made the team out of camp.

Old
08-07-2005, 11:31 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haik
We sent Brown to the CHL? Are you sure? I thought he made the team out of camp.
He did make the club out of camp. He played 30 games for the Kings that year. He might have been sent down after that. I can't remember.

Old
08-08-2005, 12:44 AM
2padstack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongebob
He did make the club out of camp. He played 30 games for the Kings that year. He might have been sent down after that. I can't remember.
he got hurt, and since he played more than ten games we could not send him back to guelph. after getting hurt in november he got hurt again in january/february for a while and came back to play a couple games at the end of the season.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:10 AM
SSK-Peter

I've seen Anze Kopitar play and I've seen Jens Karlsson play and I would take Kopitar over Karlsson any day of the week. Two completely different types of players. Karlsson will be, at best, a 3-4th line grinder and Kopitar will be a 1st line playmaking and goalscoring center.
I think the Kings will gain the most by leaving him in Sodertalje SK, in the Swedish Elite Series, another year to develop his skills.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:47 AM
lakonigla

Quote:
I believe I read that a player will need to play in 40 or more NHL games (regular season and playoffs) for it to be considered a year of service. I'm NOT SURE if that's what was finally agreed to in the final CBA so if someone can confirm this PLEASE do...
I guess I read this (40 or more NHL games) too, but I'm not sure. And I guess it's going to be an very important issue for the Kings (and likely for all NHL Teams), not today but down the road. In 2003-04 Brown played 31 games (for that reason his injury could be positiv) and even Grebeshkov played in 4 games. My guess is that for every player who played that 40 games in 2003-04 the cancelled season 2004-05 will also count as a year of service, just like the contracts. If a player played less than the 40 games in 2003-04 like Brown and Grebshkov I think both have today no years of NHL service under their belt. I hope thats true and Brown will be UFA with 27 (in 2012) instead of 25 (7 years NHL service) and Grebeshkov with 27 instead of 26.

Old
08-08-2005, 06:51 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Tukka Mantyla could be among the Euros the Kings want to bring to NA

Old
08-08-2005, 10:19 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Tukka Mantyla could be among the Euros the Kings want to bring to NA
I hope so. He can fly. Who cares if he's a small guy. From what I hear, he doesn't play like one.

Old
08-08-2005, 11:48 AM
fuzzerson
¡Ándele!

Send a message via ICQ to fuzzerson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam

Only one Euro came to the Draft, Bergfors. That was simply because he is playing in NA this year. Kopitar was in camp at the time of the draft.

Old
08-08-2005, 05:31 PM
Peter James Bond

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSK-Peter
I've seen Anze Kopitar play and I've seen Jens Karlsson play and I would take Kopitar over Karlsson any day of the week. Two completely different types of players. Karlsson will be, at best, a 3-4th line grinder and Kopitar will be a 1st line playmaking and goalscoring center.
I think the Kings will gain the most by leaving him in Sodertalje SK, in the Swedish Elite Series, another year to develop his skills.
Peter, thanks for the info! It would be great if you could update us on Anze's play this year.

Thanks!

Closed Thread