Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

Rogers TV announcers

Closed Thread

Old
12-15-2005, 10:03 AM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Rogers TV announcers

Anyone have any TV guys that they like or dislike? Some of them can be real homers and some are pretty good.

I actually find the Windsor crew to be pretty good. They didn't bury their heads when the hazing stuff came out.

The Owen Sound crew is one of the ones I really get irritated by. That bald guy (Hahn?) is particularly irritating. Seems to always take time to take a shot at London.Last year they were playing their "big guns too much" according to him. He thought they would get tired (even his co-host disagreed). Last night it was a shot about the Hunters not developing players, particularly in net with Dennis starting all the games. Funny how some criticized alternating Coleman and McDonald last year.

I can agree to a point that Mason should get the odd start, but I really do not see how Owen Sound is really developing any back-up either. If memory serves haven't they traded for Brown, Knechtel, and now Ouzas in about a year. They seem to go through a lot of goalies.

Old
12-15-2005, 11:44 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
The Owen Sound crew is one of the ones I really get irritated by. That bald guy (Hahn?) is particularly irritating. Seems to always take time to take a shot at London.Last year they were playing their "big guns too much" according to him. He thought they would get tired (even his co-host disagreed).
Maybe it's Gagne's father or something?

The London guys IMO focus too much on London - They are decent and know their stuff pretty good (apart from using the term loose disc waayy to much), but I wish they would spend their time talking more about the other teams strengths and key guys. I notice other cities hosts will talk about London a fair bit, so I don't see why the situation isn't reversed

Old
12-15-2005, 12:09 PM
CharlieGirl

There are good and bad ones spread across the province. Considering they're volunteers, I tend to give them some leeway on pronunciations and the like. Some of them are downright hilarious though!

The Guelph announcers are probably the best I've seen for impartiality. I agree Tom, the London guys are a little over the top. If you were away from the TV and just listened to the game, you'd have a difficult time trying to find out what other team is on the ice. Kitchener used to have an ex-ref who brought an interesting viewpoint, but they have their own overused phrases too. Turple never makes a save; he robs someone.

After talking with a few American team fans, I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky that we get to see games, no matter who is broadcasting them!

Old
12-15-2005, 08:00 PM
JrHockeyFan

Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
Maybe it's Gagne's father or something?

The London guys IMO focus too much on London - They are decent and know their stuff pretty good (apart from using the term loose disc waayy to much), but I wish they would spend their time talking more about the other teams strengths and key guys. I notice other cities hosts will talk about London a fair bit, so I don't see why the situation isn't reversed
I think you are right there. Although I hardly ever hear London announcers any more since I am almost always at the game.

Ottawa's crew seems okay too. Belleville is alright. Kitchener crew can get a bit whiny at times. I can honestly say the only guy that grates is that Hahn guy for Owen Sound. Talks WAYYYY too much.

For radio on the other hand I think for London that Stubbs and James do a good job. They call a pretty fair game and Pete is a terrific colour man who knows when to be quiet and apologizes to Mike when he speaks over him on play by play.

Old
12-15-2005, 08:06 PM
JrHockeyFan

Sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl
There are good and bad ones spread across the province. Considering they're volunteers, I tend to give them some leeway on pronunciations and the like. Some of them are downright hilarious though!

The Guelph announcers are probably the best I've seen for impartiality. I agree Tom, the London guys are a little over the top. If you were away from the TV and just listened to the game, you'd have a difficult time trying to find out what other team is on the ice. Kitchener used to have an ex-ref who brought an interesting viewpoint, but they have their own overused phrases too. Turple never makes a save; he robs someone.

After talking with a few American team fans, I guess we should just consider ourselves lucky that we get to see games, no matter who is broadcasting them!

You make some pretty good points. They are all amateurs for the most part and we are lucky to get the feed. The OHL pack is a nice addition to the rest of the sports package.

I saw the ex-ref, and although he was a bit old school and gruff, his points were usually pretty good ones. The Kitchener crew is not bad, but sometimes they get a bit whiny and over the top. But hey, at least they are calling the game.

If the guys calling the game get too bad I will put on the local radio feed if it is a London game. The time delay is irritating, but sometimes not as much as the TV feed.

I wish they would standardize the Rogers score clock and penalty times on the various broadcast screens. Sometimes the times are way out of synch or not on the screen at all.

Closed Thread