HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

Hockey Arena

Closed Thread

Old
09-13-2006, 09:11 PM
OhioGuy

vCash: 500
They still having problems? Haven't been able to access the site in about a day or so...

Old
09-14-2006, 04:21 AM
hluraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
They still having problems? Haven't been able to access the site in about a day or so...
Try typing either www.hockeyarena.net or www.hockeyarena.net/hokej.php in your address bar. The latter usually works. I'm logged into HA now, and got on fine yesterday as well.

Old
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
Ranger35
Zuccarello!

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:
There were apparently some ISP problems the other day, it's all working well right now.

Old
09-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Gamerz

Send a message via MSN to Gamerz Send a message via Yahoo to Gamerz
I took over a team a couple weeks ago. Luckily for me they left me with a great goaltender to start with (56 goal, 44 speed), and with the support of a good defense, I won 7 out of the first 8 league games I played...and that was after my team started out with 4 wins and 7 losses. I just need to find some good forwards now...cause mine well...suck.

Old
09-14-2006, 07:24 PM
jacketracket*

This really sounds interesting, and I'd like to play. But I'm not the most technically proficient. How are the games actually played? Does it require specialized software?

Old
09-14-2006, 09:22 PM
OhioGuy

I've got a question: I've had my team for about 2 weeks now. I've pretty much got the hang of everything except for training, specifically about training my prospects. I've got all of my prospects on a training regimen similar to that of my regular team, but the stats on the prospects never seem to go up. Every few days, somone on the regular team will get a little green arrow next to one of their stats; I assume this means that stat has improved?

Does the training area in the stadium have an affect on how fast players level up their skills? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old
09-14-2006, 09:31 PM
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket View Post
This really sounds interesting, and I'd like to play. But I'm not the most technically proficient. How are the games actually played? Does it require specialized software?
You don't actually see the games being played. Every night the server gets reset and the games and training and such are simulated. Then when the server comes back up you log on and check the score and stats of the game. No specialized software, its just a website you go to and it shows you everything having to do with your team.

I'm hooked on it. I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I can't wait to get home and check to see what happened to my team, how much money I made, and where I'm at in the standings. I'm definitely still getting the hang of it, I started out at like 2-12 and now I'm 6-15. I usually beat the bottom 8 teams but the top 8 are just crazy in my league. I got handed a pretty crappy team but it had some decent prospects. I guess its a toss-up about what kind of team you'll get, but its kind of fun to build a team pretty much from the ground up.

Old
09-14-2006, 09:56 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
You don't actually see the games being played. Every night the server gets reset and the games and training and such are simulated. Then when the server comes back up you log on and check the score and stats of the game. No specialized software, its just a website you go to and it shows you everything having to do with your team.

I'm hooked on it. I've been playing for about 2 weeks and I can't wait to get home and check to see what happened to my team, how much money I made, and where I'm at in the standings. I'm definitely still getting the hang of it, I started out at like 2-12 and now I'm 6-15. I usually beat the bottom 8 teams but the top 8 are just crazy in my league. I got handed a pretty crappy team but it had some decent prospects. I guess its a toss-up about what kind of team you'll get, but its kind of fun to build a team pretty much from the ground up.
Thanks!

I've never played a sim league before, so I don't really know how they work. I took a look around after registering, and kind of found my answer. As a manager, you "set" the shooting tendencies, etc. of your players, and when the game is ran the simulator takes those settings into account when determining the outcome?

The team you're assigned is an actual team that has been abandoned, then?

Looks really interesting. I can see spending too much time with this!

Last edited by jacketracket*: 09-14-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old
09-15-2006, 02:24 AM
E-Mac

Quote:
Does the training area in the stadium have an affect on how fast players level up their skills? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Your stadium's training % and each players' quality rating determines how much they train each day. Say you have the base 15% training you start with, and you've got a really high quality guy who gets 30% training every day (you can see their training % in their profiles, as well as in the training screen): that would work out to training 15% of 30, or 4.5 %.

Keep in mind that players actually playing usually train at a higher rate than farmies, reason being that your players get boosts for whatever skills they use in game, and then train on top of that with as much energy as they've got left post-game. I've had guys gain entire points over a single game from scoring a hat trick while training in Shooting. Those are awesome...

Anyways, hope that helps.

Oh, and if anyone's got some cash to burn, I've got a 19 yo defender, 69 ai, 93 q and 88 p. We're talking in the hundreds of millions here

Old
09-15-2006, 03:54 AM
hluraven

Quote:
As a manager, you "set" the shooting tendencies, etc. of your players, and when the game is ran the simulator takes those settings into account when determining the outcome?

Sort of. You set things like how important the match is, if you want to pay a win bonus and you get a number of tactics points to assign per match.

You get 30 tactics points per game, to split over defence/attack and over three periods so you can give a boost of 5 points to both defence and attack each period or any other split you want.

You also set whether you want 3 or 4 lines and how long shifts these lines take.

All these things are taken into account in the simulation.

Quote:
The team you're assigned is an actual team that has been abandoned, then?
Yeah normally, unless there is a team in a bottom league that has never been assigned to anyone. When you get an abandoned team you get a choice from their players (under 26 only IIRC as 27 is free agent age) and some randomly generated players to complete your squad

Old
09-15-2006, 10:17 AM
jacketracket*

Thanks for the info, hluraven.

I'm hoping I'll be assigned a team after tonight's update. I can see spending most of the weekend on this ... I'm listed as first in line for a US team --- are there typically turnovers every day?

Old
09-16-2006, 10:14 AM
jacketracket*

I was assigned a team last night. The team I was given is currently in sixth place, 14-8 --- I was expecting a much worse record ...

Picked my players (screwed up and only kept 25), set my lines and training schedules.

My next game isn't until Monday. I sent some challenges for friendlies --- I'd like to get a look at how my existing lines do, before Monday's league game.

Old
09-16-2006, 07:01 PM
jacketracket*

Just curious ... how does traimig affect the players on game days? I set training schedules for my players (they were 'idle'), and then got an acceptance for a friendly tonight.

Do you "turn off" the training, on game days?

Old
09-17-2006, 09:03 AM
Ranger35
Zuccarello!

Quote:
Just curious ... how does traimig affect the players on game days? I set training schedules for my players (they were 'idle'), and then got an acceptance for a friendly tonight.

Do you "turn off" the training, on game days?
Congratulations on getting a team.

As far as training goes, it affects all players who are set to a training schedule. Those who play a game just tend to train a little bit differently than the players who are scratched. The trade off is that players playing a game also gain experience, and that becomes really important the higher the level of competition.

That's one reason why many people have a youth squad that they play on friendlies to help them along in getting experience.

Old
09-17-2006, 06:55 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
That's one reason why many people have a youth squad that they play on friendlies to help them along in getting experience.
Ooohh ... good idea, and thanks!

I've spent the weekend playing with this. Good stuff! I only kept 25 players. but I've got 'zero' bids in on a few prospects with Q/P ratings over 170, and decent AI. Now if I can just figure out how to actually sign them, once the bidding is closed.

Thanks for the pm --- how long have you been playing?

Old
09-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Gunnar Staal

Quote:
I've spent the weekend playing with this. Good stuff! I only kept 25 players. but I've got 'zero' bids in on a few prospects with Q/P ratings over 170, and decent AI. Now if I can just figure out how to actually sign them, once the bidding is closed.
The prospects that you signed are transferred to your team during the day simulation.

Old
09-17-2006, 08:53 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossmann View Post
The prospects that you signed are transferred to your team during the day simulation.
I think I got snookered.

One has now transferred, and his Q and P aren't nearly what they were when I bid. Does the red '?' indicate that those values are only estimates, and can you get actual ratings if you pay to scout a prospect?

Edit: I figured it out --- always something new to learn, with this. So, once I've built up my scouting dept., the sort of one- or two-day reports on prospects (like I should have done, before bidding) won't be as expensive as they are at this point, and the estimated figures I see will be much nearer actual value.

Last edited by jacketracket*: 09-17-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old
09-18-2006, 05:58 AM
hluraven

Quote:
So, once I've built up my scouting dept., the sort of one- or two-day reports on prospects (like I should have done, before bidding) won't be as expensive as they are at this point, and the estimated figures I see will be much nearer actual value.
True and true. If you are going to be busy in the transfer market you need good scouts. If you are going to try to build up your squad from home grown players you don't need scouting as much as you can work out Q and P from scouting estimates over time and training %

Couple of tips based on your earlier questions, Never ever set training to idle, they do not train OR rest. Set up a training schedule called rest with 0% in all attributes and use this if you want to rest players ever.

Players train more if you play them (except goalies IIRC) than if you don't. They also gain experience only if played, so a small squad is not a bad idea if you have a core of players you want to keep as they train and gain experience more quickly if they play 7 games a week. The disadvantage of a youth squad is the experience gain is spread across 40 players instead of 25. Both strategies work though so go with personal preference.

Keep asking questions here and on the in-game forums though and you will be ok

Old
09-18-2006, 01:59 PM
Ranger35
Zuccarello!

Quote:
I think I got snookered.

One has now transferred, and his Q and P aren't nearly what they were when I bid. Does the red '?' indicate that those values are only estimates, and can you get actual ratings if you pay to scout a prospect?

Edit: I figured it out --- always something new to learn, with this. So, once I've built up my scouting dept., the sort of one- or two-day reports on prospects (like I should have done, before bidding) won't be as expensive as they are at this point, and the estimated figures I see will be much nearer actual value.

Yup, that's a problem of your scouts not being good enough. As you build up your scouting, your estimations get more accurate, at 100 percent you get exact read but it's a long way and a whole lot of money to get there.

Poster above me gave you some good tips to consider.

Old
09-19-2006, 06:18 AM
hluraven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger35 View Post
As you build up your scouting, your estimations get more accurate, at 100 percent you get exact read
Not quite 100% accurate even with 100% scouts, it's still a few percentage points either side of accurate but close enough to accept at face value.

Old
09-23-2006, 02:41 PM
jacketracket*

The "randomness' of this bugs me a bit, at times.

I'm tied for fifth, and played the team I'm tied with last night. My team out-shot his, 28-16 (shooting targets for both were set at 'normal'). I won draws, 32-21.

I had lost the only two D-men I have with D attributes over 25 to injury the previous game, so I debated consolidating and playing only three lines, but decided against it as I figured the simulator would "tire" my players at the end of the game. I went with four lines.

The other guy played only three lines, and won 3-2.

Old
09-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Mr BLUEandWHITE

A quick question the season is almost over and I am in 8th place with one game left, and cannot do any better/worse. this is what the standings look like
1-8
-------------------
9-12
-------------------
13-16

now does 1-8 play in the playoffs?
what happens to 13-16 places? (relegation I assume)
what happens to 9-12 places?
Also, when does the next season start?

Thanks for the help

Old
09-26-2006, 08:45 PM
Ranger35
Zuccarello!

Quote:
The "randomness' of this bugs me a bit, at times.

I'm tied for fifth, and played the team I'm tied with last night. My team out-shot his, 28-16 (shooting targets for both were set at 'normal'). I won draws, 32-21.

I had lost the only two D-men I have with D attributes over 25 to injury the previous game, so I debated consolidating and playing only three lines, but decided against it as I figured the simulator would "tire" my players at the end of the game. I went with four lines.

The other guy played only three lines, and won 3-2.
I believe the affect of exhaustion shows after the game when you play 3 lines, not during the game. The risk in playing 3 lines is that if the other team's top two lines get more shots at your weaker 3rd line.

Old
09-26-2006, 08:48 PM
Ranger35
Zuccarello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr BLUEandWHITE View Post
A quick question the season is almost over and I am in 8th place with one game left, and cannot do any better/worse. this is what the standings look like
1-8
-------------------
9-12
-------------------
13-16

now does 1-8 play in the playoffs?
what happens to 13-16 places? (relegation I assume)
what happens to 9-12 places?
Also, when does the next season start?

Thanks for the help
1 vs 8
2 vs 7
3 vs 6
4 vs 5

13 and 16 are relegated to one league, 14 and 15 are relegated to another league.

9-10 are upset they missed the playoffs

11-12 are happy they avoided relegation.

Old
09-29-2006, 11:07 PM
jacketracket*

I'm just not getting this.

Closed Thread