HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The refs in the Panthers/Coyotes game

Closed Thread

Old
10-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Laperriere22*

vCash: 500
The refs in the Panthers/Coyotes game

For those that didn't watch the game, they actually gave Landon Wilson a 2 minute unsportsmanlike penalty for giving Luongo a little ice bath (and it was little). They gave a team a PP for that?
And for the record, they also gave Tyson Nash a highsticking call when he didn't actually highstick anybody whatsoever.

Congratulations to Don Koharski or Rob Martell. Which ever of them made that call on Wilson should be fired immediately. The word stupid just keeps popping into my mind when thinking about that call. What idiocy!

Old
10-15-2003, 07:44 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I watch some games and the no-calls are ridiculous. I watch others, and the calls are ridiculous. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a happy medium ;/

Lappy, I didn't watch the game because I cannot stand listening to the Phoenix announcers. Man, they are awful :mad:

Old
10-15-2003, 07:51 PM
evman150*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Lappy, I didn't watch the game because I cannot stand listening to the Phoenix announcers. Man, they are awful :mad:
Agreed. That pbp guy is absolutely horrid.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by evman150
Agreed. That pbp guy is absolutely horrid.
It drives me insane. I tried to watch the game 3 different times tonight, but everytime the man started commentating, I turned it.

Old
10-15-2003, 07:59 PM
aylib
User and abuser

Send a message via Yahoo to aylib
None of you know how to operate the volume button?

Old
10-15-2003, 08:00 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylib
None of you know how to operate the volume button?
I prefer to hear the game while watching it.....

Old
10-15-2003, 08:25 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laperriere22
For those that didn't watch the game, they actually gave Landon Wilson a 2 minute unsportsmanlike penalty for giving Luongo a little ice bath (and it was little). They gave a team a PP for that?
Damn rights. I would have done the same. Spraying a goaltender with ice is one of the easiest Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties a referee can call.

Old
10-15-2003, 08:28 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
i suppose early season kinks are to be expected. 16 minor penalties tonight in the sens vs la game. most of them useless calls.

i've never seen a penalty for giving a goalie a little shower, ever

Old
10-15-2003, 09:16 PM
topshelf331

Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Quote:
And for the record, they also gave Tyson Nash a highsticking call when he didn't actually highstick anybody whatsoever.
Towards the end of his stay in stl, it was like he was a marked man. The refs didnt take their eyes off him. It seemed like if anything was close to a penalty they called him for it.

Old
10-15-2003, 09:54 PM
IGM

The Dogs have the worst call guys in the game but only slightly worse then the "CAN WE TALK ABOUT IT" fools in Ana. Everytime I saw the ducks do anything in the playoffs last year I would run to turn down the tele so I could avoid that awful and humiliating garbage.

I am watching the game on tape now and "have another doughnut fatboy" is up to his usual crap. This is the worst stinkeroo game by the refs so far this season. Oh, and I am not even through the second period yet!

Old
10-15-2003, 11:03 PM
BCCHL inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
That surprises me. As far as I see it, it should be an automatic penalty.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:05 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
That surprises me. As far as I see it, it should be an automatic penalty.
I agree. It is a blatant unsportmanlike penalty. everyone in the rink knows what you are doing. Same with most of the face washes in scrums.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:09 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
how ANAL do we have to be.. i mean.. really :p.. facewashes aren't happening all the time in games...

an automatic penalty?.. sheesh

Old
10-16-2003, 02:27 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
how ANAL do we have to be.. i mean.. really :p.. facewashes aren't happening all the time in games...

an automatic penalty?.. sheesh
didn't say that. just saying you call it once in a while, it can cut that crap down. Some refs have the good sense to just call one team in those scrums for a penalty. after putting your team down for two minutes for giving someone a glove in the face, you look a bit foolish to your teammates.

And ANAL? I fail to see how wanted a cleaner, more professional game in which the tyson nash's and sean avery's of the league aren't getting away with senseless crap every night is ANAL.

Old
10-16-2003, 02:41 AM
andora

Send a message via MSN to andora
well relax, i wasn't saying you said that.. or else i would have quoted you...

and depending on the frequency of calling it, it is anal...

i do disagree with you saying it's a blatant unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. i won't try and rationalize an argument to prove why, i just do

Old
10-16-2003, 03:00 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by andora's box
well relax, i wasn't saying you said that.. or else i would have quoted you...

and depending on the frequency of calling it, it is anal...

i do disagree with you saying it's a blatant unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. i won't try and rationalize an argument to prove why, i just do
Wasn't mad or anything, just stating my case. It is rather had to express what your exact emotion is on here.

Old
10-16-2003, 03:01 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Inconsistant refereeing (in a game, or between games) ruins the game. I would much rather have referees be too lenient or too harsh, if at least they were doing it constantly. Then they players know what goes and play from that. It's when the players have no idea what will be called and what will not we will see more stupid stuff on the ice, like diving and cheapshots.

I know it is hard to get a steady level with so many referees and games, but it has to be the ambition of the league to get there. If you are going to call hooking, call it with consistency. If you are going to call slashing, call it with consistency. When it becomes a PP lottery the players play so much worse hockey out there the fans have to suffer for the poor officiating.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:00 AM
Sotnos

Quote:
Me either! Didn't even know it was an infraction.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:20 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
Damn rights. I would have done the same. Spraying a goaltender with ice is one of the easiest Unsportsmanlike Conduct penalties a referee can call.
I slept and I've totally changed my position. Clearly, spraying the goaltender with ice shavings is one of the biggest problems in today's game. I expect Colin Campbell to be sending a memo out to all the refs to crackdown on what is truly a cowardly play that ruins the game. I mean why call diving when you can call players for making a hard stop. By calling that a penalty, it does correctly encourage the forwards to not even try to stop and to just run over the goaltender. While we're at it, let's have the refs start calling players for spitting on the ice. I think that's a great place to go next. Spitting is just so unattractive to the game of hockey and it really needs to be cracked down on as well.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:24 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
i suppose early season kinks are to be expected. 16 minor penalties tonight in the sens vs la game. most of them useless calls.
I watched that game too. It was like watching a special teams practice. Ridiculous. The best one I saw was when they took away Dustin Brown's first ever NHL goal because they said he hit the puck with a high stick. He clearly never touched the puck when it was in the air. Saw it live and wondered what the call was. Once I saw the refs had stopped play for a highstick, I thought somebody should be reffing in the minors for awhile.

My condolences to the Kings BTW. Visnovsky and Modry as a PK defensive pairing? I don't know how the Kings can even win a game with those two killing penalties.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:28 AM
RoyIsALegend*

People complain when the referees miss the calls.

Well, icing a goaltender is an infraction that the officials are told to call, so why criticize them when they make it? As a goaltender myself, I hate having that happen because it's not allowed and borders goaltender interference/unsportsmanlike conduct. It may not be one of the 'biggest problems in hockey,' but I commend an official for having the guts to make that call.

Goalies get ran away too often now-a-days as opposed to a decade ago even, and one of the main reasons is because the hard pegs have been taken out of the posts and now they just use that small chip into the ice to secure it. Snowing a goaltender leads to goalies being ran, so that was the *right* call in that incident.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:32 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshelf331
Towards the end of his stay in stl, it was like he was a marked man. The refs didnt take their eyes off him. It seemed like if anything was close to a penalty they called him for it.
That is definitely true and that's sad in and of itself. What happened tonight was Nash took a shot on net and a defenseman hit him. Nash didn't fall down, but tried to keep his balance with two hands on his stick. While trying to regain his balance, the stick was up high, but he didn't touch anybody with it. I've seen silly calls before (especially on Nash), but that one and the ice shower call were so far beyond humorous I had to say something about it. I just couldn't let those two pass by without comment; it's calls like that that make the game tedious for me. It's almost like the NHL has instituted a penalty quota for officials now; so, they make up a call here and there to meet their quota (just like a traffic cop would).

Old
10-16-2003, 05:40 AM
Laperriere22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Snowing a goaltender leads to goalies being ran, so that was the *right* call in that incident.
That comment right there is so utterly humorous and offbase that I can't even try to debate your other points right now.

Old
10-16-2003, 05:52 AM
scarecrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Goalies get ran away too often now-a-days as opposed to a decade ago even
man, these Colorado fans are killing me...

Old
10-16-2003, 06:07 AM
islandnucker

Send a message via ICQ to islandnucker
Quote:
I slept and I've totally changed my position. Clearly, spraying the goaltender with ice shavings is one of the biggest problems in today's game. I expect Colin Campbell to be sending a memo out to all the refs to crackdown on what is truly a cowardly play that ruins the game. I mean why call diving when you can call players for making a hard stop. By calling that a penalty, it does correctly encourage the forwards to not even try to stop and to just run over the goaltender. While we're at it, let's have the refs start calling players for spitting on the ice. I think that's a great place to go next. Spitting is just so unattractive to the game of hockey and it really needs to be cracked down on as well.
Why the sarcasm? It brings a lot to the conversation.

I think the refs should call it every now and then. It used to be something that like would get you into a fight (I'm pretty sure it was some kind of unwritten rule???) but now that would probably fall under the instigator rule if a player went after the player that sprayed the goalie. Of course there will be the odd accident where the player is honestly trying not to spray the goalie while going for a loose puck around the crease.

Closed Thread