HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Source: NHL Cap to be Between 40-45 Million Next Season

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-15-2005, 02:36 PM
  #1
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck
 
FLYLine24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,628
vCash: 500
Source: NHL Cap to be Between 40-45 Million Next Season

Ok..now is this good or bad for us? Sather has done an A+ job so far with the cap in place but will he go a little crazy if the caps goes up to 45 and hes got bundles of free cap room to spend?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=147082&hubname=nhl

FLYLine24 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 02:42 PM
  #2
Anthony Mauro
DraftBuzz Hockey
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 500
I'd only say its justified if he brings in a Redden/Chara and a decent top line winger.

Anthony Mauro is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:12 PM
  #3
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Good for us. Aren't there a good amount of solid players in their primes that are UFA's? Like Redden for example

nyr7andcounting is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:36 PM
  #4
BeckeramosIsHere
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 88
vCash: 500
Aren't we at around $34-$35million right now?

BeckeramosIsHere is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:40 PM
  #5
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19,012
vCash: 500
All existing contracts are written up right? So teams with allot of money tied up next year won't get much additional cap room. For example a team with 1m of cap room will only get [the new cap for example 45]/[what the cap is today, for example 40] * 1m=1.25 , resulting in 250k additional cap room.

Does anyone know who we have tied up next year?

On what we should do with the cap room we get, my opinion is that I want whoever we sign to be the best player available for the position we want to fill, I want quality instead of quantity. And we shouldn't commit to long term contracts. I have no problem with a big name, as long as he is still a good player...

Ola is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:49 PM
  #6
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
All existing contracts are written up right? So teams with allot of money tied up next year won't get much additional cap room. For example a team with 1m of cap room will only get [the new cap for example 45]/[what the cap is today, for example 40] * 1m=1.25 , resulting in 250k additional cap room.
What are you talking about here?

You can spend up to the cap. If the cap goes from 40 to 45, we have an extra $5 million in cap room not counting contracts which end at the end of the season

nyr7andcounting is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:50 PM
  #7
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
What would happen if the cap comes down? Won't there be a whole lot of high paid players basically ineligible to play anywhere because no one can fit them under the cap?

Ola, are you saying there's formula to calculating each individual team's new cap? I've never heard that.

Melrose_Jr. is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 03:51 PM
  #8
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 21,162
vCash: 500
yeah, as far as i know the contracts are still the same regardless. there is no proration to the current contracts.

Inferno is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:03 PM
  #9
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej's Dance
I'd only say its justified if he brings in a Redden/Chara and a decent top line winger.
agreed

our D can use that sort of upgrade (rozy, poti, strud)

i just hope he doesn't go overboard on giving bigger contracts to our one year guys

in the hall is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
  #10
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
They need to work in 2 or 3 rookies into the lineup for the next five years. And I don't think that should be too hard. Montoya, Dawes, Immonen and Staal seem like they're close right now. This will help keep them below the cap. Very selective shopping. Try to bring in one very good D next year. Try to bring in a legitimate top 6 forward with size and hopefully grit. Can cut loose Poti, Roszival, Rucchin, Rucinsky, Strudwick and Straka--all of them or some of them. The year after Nieminen, Weekes and Nylander.


Last edited by eco's bones: 12-15-2005 at 04:18 PM. Reason: add name
eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:22 PM
  #11
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 13,225
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
What would happen if the cap comes down? Won't there be a whole lot of high paid players basically ineligible to play anywhere because no one can fit them under the cap?

Ola, are you saying there's formula to calculating each individual team's new cap? I've never heard that.
I think thas when the Escrow accounts come into effect. Im not quite sure but i think if the profits arent threre, then the players have to give back to make up that difference... Its a very complex situation, i could be wrong, but i believe thats why they put that into place.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:27 PM
  #12
in the hall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,009
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones
They need to work in 2 or 3 rookies into the lineup for the next five years. And I don't think that should be too hard. Montoya, Dawes, Immonen and Staal seem like they're close right now. This will help keep them below the cap. Very selective shopping. Try to bring in one very good D next year. Try to bring in a legitimate top 6 forward with size and hopefully grit. Can cut loose Poti, Roszival, Rucchin, Rucinsky, Strudwick and Straka--all of them or some of them. The year after Nieminen, Weekes and Nylander.
i don't think they need to.. if the rookies are ready, they will play
with that said i can see immonen and staal being on this team next year

in the hall is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:36 PM
  #13
shoothepuck
88
 
shoothepuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: upstate
Country: Italy
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 500
No reason for NY to go crazy. Sign a good D and don't resign Poti. Get a solid offensive forward and let some UFA's go. As stated before, some good rookies should be available to fill some spots currently filled by vets that are UFA's. Also this team has done better than expected, and players that turned down NY at the beginning of the season are wishing they were here. Maybe some young prospects can be added, but there is no reason for NY to waste $ on anyone.

shoothepuck is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:48 PM
  #14
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,473
vCash: 500
Mj...

I think that's what the escrow concept is for. If it goes down, funds in the escrow go to the teams.

Fletch is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
  #15
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall
i don't think they need to.. if the rookies are ready, they will play
with that said i can see immonen and staal being on this team next year
You make a good point but we do have a ton of players to work into the system and the window's open only so long for them. The potential ufa's I mentioned--you might keep some but they all are replaceable or upgradeable. In two years if they are still around Moore and Hollweg and Prucha and Lundqvist and Tyutin etc. will be vets. We could have a good but pretty young team. I agree with Immonen and Staal but if Montoya continues like he has before his injury he's going to be hard to keep off the team even next year.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 07:25 PM
  #16
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 19,012
vCash: 500
I just took for granted that if revenues goes down, salarys goes down. Thats correct, right? Because they split everything 55% or something.

Anyway, then if revenues goes up, salarys to must go up, right? So if a team have allot of players under contract next year their salarys will go up? How else would you hit exactly 55%? You can't know before the season...

But it doesn't sound like that when I read the article. Maybe they solve it some other way...

Ola is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 08:02 PM
  #17
romba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 2,053
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to romba
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I just took for granted that if revenues goes down, salarys goes down. Thats correct, right? Because they split everything 55% or something.

Anyway, then if revenues goes up, salarys to must go up, right? So if a team have allot of players under contract next year their salarys will go up? How else would you hit exactly 55%? You can't know before the season...

But it doesn't sound like that when I read the article. Maybe they solve it some other way...
Salaries don't go up with profits(I think), the cap goes up with profits- higher profits = higher cap. So assuming that each team spends their entire allotment of salary then the players will recieve their 55%. If some teams don't, than the players will recieve a little less than 55%.

romba is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:36 PM
  #18
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
I just took for granted that if revenues goes down, salarys goes down. Thats correct, right? Because they split everything 55% or something.

Anyway, then if revenues goes up, salarys to must go up, right? So if a team have allot of players under contract next year their salarys will go up? How else would you hit exactly 55%? You can't know before the season...
I don't think it works like that, I'm 99% sure it doesn't work like that.

The cap/salary against the cap for each player every season is based on their contract. After the season, total salaries are adjusted to hit 55%, or whatever % needs to be hit. But they are 2 different issues.

So, if the cap goes up then all teams have an extra $X in cap room. But, current contracts stay the same value. I'm sure Prucha is signed for next year at his rookie salary... probably like 600k or something I dunno. But, next season the cap can go anywhere and Prucha still gets that 600k. The only way he gets more is if, after the season, the players only got 54% of revenue instead of 55%... then he would get a little extra (so would every player).

Point is, when it comes to cap room all you need to know is salaries and the cap. The % is taken care of after the season. So if next years cap is $45M, than add up whoever we have under contract for 06-07 and subtract from $45M... that's how much cap room we'll have.

nyr7andcounting is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:57 PM
  #19
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
All existing contracts are written up right? So teams with allot of money tied up next year won't get much additional cap room. For example a team with 1m of cap room will only get [the new cap for example 45]/[what the cap is today, for example 40] * 1m=1.25 , resulting in 250k additional cap room.

Does anyone know who we have tied up next year?

On what we should do with the cap room we get, my opinion is that I want whoever we sign to be the best player available for the position we want to fill, I want quality instead of quantity. And we shouldn't commit to long term contracts. I have no problem with a big name, as long as he is still a good player...
the salary cap is the same for everyone...if the cap is $45 mil it is $45 mil for everyone whether your current salary commitments are $27 mil or $40 mil. only difference is the team at $40 mil only has $5 mil to spend while the team at $27 mil has $18 mil

NYR469 is offline  
Old
12-15-2005, 09:59 PM
  #20
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
btw the rangers currently have about $4.5 mil left in cap space, and at the end of the year contracts of rucchin, rucinsky, poti and straka expire for a combined $10 mil...

so if the cap raises to $45 mil, that would give the rangers roughly $20 mil in cap space to make a move...and since hopefully some of the roster spots will be filled by guys in hartford (who will have low salaries) that leaves the plenty of room to make 1 or 2 big moves.

NYR469 is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 12:52 AM
  #21
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,085
vCash: 500
I'd like to see most of the teams needs met from within the system. However, Zdeno Chara would be a spectacular addition. Infact i think Chara would make a bigger differance than many of the big name forwards that we're talked about and taken off the market this summer.


Last edited by xander: 12-16-2005 at 01:02 AM.
xander is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 09:43 AM
  #22
NYR469
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 5,785
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander
I'd like to see most of the teams needs met from within the system. However, Zdeno Chara would be a spectacular addition. Infact i think Chara would make a bigger differance than many of the big name forwards that we're talked about and taken off the market this summer.
most needs yes...the ideal thing is to build from within and thats also the best way to beat the cap since that young talent from within is cheap. but it doesn't have to be 100% within. imo the ideal situation is to build the foundation from within and then had 2-4 key additions to put the team 'over the top'

NYR469 is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 11:10 AM
  #23
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 14,274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
most needs yes...the ideal thing is to build from within and thats also the best way to beat the cap since that young talent from within is cheap. but it doesn't have to be 100% within. imo the ideal situation is to build the foundation from within and then had 2-4 key additions to put the team 'over the top'
Very well put and more or less the point I was trying to make.

eco's bones is offline  
Old
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
  #24
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
What I think it will do is loosen up the market for some players at the trading deadline who are either a) less marketable under the current cap because they have another year to run on their contract (i.e. John LeClair) or b) desireable but about to be a free agent and potentially open to signing an extension (i.e. Ollie Jokinen)

bobbop is offline  
Old
12-17-2005, 01:08 AM
  #25
ECL
If it weren’t for me
 
ECL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 82,481
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ECL
If we don't re-sign Poti and Ruca gives us that 1M deal, we should have ~8.5-9M to spend.

Sign Redden and Samsonov.

Bam. Done.

ECL is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.