HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should we trade Comrie for?

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
FacelessButcher

vCash: 500
What should we trade Comrie for?

K, most people seem to want a big goal scoring center or a top 4 offensive defense man.

If we get a center its almost certain that Chimera is gonna be the one bumped down but he had an awesome game tonight which makes me kind of tenative to dish for one.It comes with the benefit of getting one of York or Smyth off the center when they are more natural on the LW. Smyth is not great in the face-off circle but if we trade for a center we can try to get a center with that attribute. It overfills our already apparent glut of overabundance of forwards we also have two centers coming up who should be first and second-line material.(rent a center?).

K we could really use a defense man to quarter back the power play or even a good stay at home defense man. Our top 4 d is Brewer, Smith, Staios, and Semenov some people say Staios over achieved last year and cannot repeat the feat and putting Semenov in a top 4 role might be premature based on his youth and inexperience. If we get a top 4 defense man it's probably Semenov seeing third pairing ice time and could stop him from moving up if he plays well and lack of ice-time could hurt or slow his development. Many see Smith as the next to go and I very much doubt he stays if he asks Lowe for another sizeable raise next contract by getting a defense man now we can ease the pain of his trade quickly and a year older Semenov could probably take his place.

The prospect route we can trade for the future which is cheap with no high salary players coming our way also allows our kids to get more ice-time in the big leagues. Some less educated fans may be upset about this and think Lowe is getting an unfair return or want a serviceable player right away to contribute for what many consider to be our star franchise player. Building for the future is not the most glamorous route a GM can take fans always like the win now mentality and always try for the best possible team on the ice now versus a few years from now. Prospects are a risky buisness and there is always a high profile player who becomes a bust or a lesser star than was anticipated could we afford not to be unsure of our return when we trade our no.1 center?

Pesonally I want a third line vet RW(sorry Pisani)and a top 5d-man almost 4 like Dandenault and a really exceptional defensive prospect, and get it all for Comrie and a few mid level Lw prospects+ possibly mid-picks

Old
10-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Staois didn't overachieve. That guy is plain solid. His smarts cannot be a fluke. I wasn't a fan of his when he came over, heck i wasn't a fan of his when he played well that season either. However I came to appreciate his solid performance day in and day out and I actually like the guy now.

As for Comrie, I have to disagree with you on Pisani, I think he signifies what a true Oiler is. He plays hard, and he worked even harder to get here. His play is not flashy, but it does the job.

As for Comrie, I want a Dman to replace Ferguson or Cross.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
I know it's not a very popular idea, but if the deal's right, I would definitely take prospect(s). This is the year they can afford to do that, and if they can get enough for him, I say go for it.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:08 PM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life
Staois didn't overachieve. That guy is plain solid. His smarts cannot be a fluke. I wasn't a fan of his when he came over, heck i wasn't a fan of his when he played well that season either. However I came to appreciate his solid performance day in and day out and I actually like the guy now.

As for Comrie, I have to disagree with you on Pisani, I think he signifies what a true Oiler is. He plays hard, and he worked even harder to get here. His play is not flashy, but it does the job.

As for Comrie, I want a Dman to replace Ferguson or Cross.
I never said I thought Staios over achieved its just the consensus in the media I have said numerous times he is highly under-rated and thought he was hands down our best defense man last year. I like Pisani and hes cheap but am not as certain about his long term potential as u so we'll disagree and having a veteran in that spot could help a lot.I think Cross is passable on the third pairing but his slowness makes me cringe Oilers are supposed to be fast and Fergie is super cheap I would not mind keeping him till he retires just as a 7th d-man but do not want him starting regularly with a healthy line-up

Old
10-09-2003, 10:09 PM
Cerebral

Ideally I'd like a top 4 d-man.. if that's not available, a couple really good prospects would be nice as well. I personally think we're better of to let some our younger guys (Stoll, Rita) get some ice time up here than to trade for another forward with "potential" (unless he's a definitive top two line centerman). Did anyone else watch the Detroit game today? I thought Fischer looked really good..

Old
10-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Digger12

Dman + prospect would do it for me. Seriously.

Fischer + Hudler would make me squeal with glee. They'd want more than Comrie though.

Old
10-09-2003, 10:38 PM
dem

A center... we need a center... please god... PLEASE

Old
10-09-2003, 11:36 PM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd
I know it's not a very popular idea, but if the deal's right, I would definitely take prospect(s). This is the year they can afford to do that, and if they can get enough for him, I say go for it.
They have to be super high end prospects.

Eg:

LA: Denis Grebeshkov and Aulin

Fla: Weiss Krahjicek

Nyr: Lundmark, Tyutin

players of this ilk come to mind.

Old
10-10-2003, 05:33 AM
speeds

Because of the impending lockout, I think Lowe can trade for pretty much anything in terms of positions, when moving Comrie. The main thing is to get value.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:04 AM
metallicat

I am quite happy with our current lineup, and as of right now, I don't care that Comrie is sitting out anymore. Its too late for him. What about getting a good young goalie? I think we will need that the most in the future.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:09 AM
speeds

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds
Because of the impending lockout, I think Lowe can trade for pretty much anything in terms of positions, when moving Comrie. The main thing is to get value.
I should add that the only thing I'd consider important in movig Comrie is that the return be about Comrie's age or younger, to try and build with the rest of the young core.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:09 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
I am quite happy with our current lineup, and as of right now, I don't care that Comrie is sitting out anymore. Its too late for him. What about getting a good young goalie? I think we will need that the most in the future.
Not a fan of JDD?

With Fleury signing with the Pens I see him as one of the front runners to start for Canada at the WJC this year.

Old
10-10-2003, 06:43 AM
jadeddog

in a perfect world i would want a big scoring centerman, but as many a article has mentioned over the lasts little while, why would a team trade for a small scoring centermen when they already havea BIG scoring centermen?? exactly, they wont, so i think we can all stop dreaming about a large 70+point centermen coming back for comrie.....

a top 4 defensemen is a good possibility because the teams that would want comrie in a couple weeks or months are gonna be the ones who are having trouble scoring..... these are the types of teams that will most likely be willing to trade away some defensive depth to get that scoring (personally this is the trade i would like to see because staios is UFA next year, so that means hes for-sure goners, smith is getting older as is cross... essentially not too far down the road we are gonna lose 3 of our top 6 dmen, so a defensemen would be perfect for us... as long as hes about 25 years old or younger)

prospects are an easy trade to make, because most every team has a few of them and lots of the "big teams" are usually willing to trade prospects since these teams just sign UFAs all the time anyhow.... now that is kinda chaning with the CBA coming up, but i think a trade of this nature would be the easiest to get done. the only problem with this is that edmonton already has tons of prospects, but really.... but we all know how many "for sure" prospects end up being career AHLers or career 3rd liners, so having an extra couple kids in the system never hurt any team (personally, i do not want a purely prospects trade done for comrie.... a top4 dman and a good prospect for comrie is how i see this trade getting done)

Old
10-10-2003, 07:08 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I'd like to see Comrie be traded with one of our Dmen for a top prospect and a top pairing Dman. Bergeron looked excellent last night - and I think he'll be able to be our puck moving Dman. We can't have Semenov sitting in th PB for extended amounts of time though - that'd be very bad for his career at such a tender age. Thats why if we get a Dman, I'd like to see us sending one back as well.

Old
10-10-2003, 07:46 AM
Oiltalk

Hmm how about Comrie, Staios, and a 3rd for Havlat and Rachunek?
Would end both holdouts.

In reality it will most likely be a top 3 Dman or else #4 dman plus a pick for Comrie.

Old
10-10-2003, 08:30 AM
sidelines

vCash:
What I'd like to see go down would be something like:

Comrie + Ferguson/Cross

for

Top Four D-man + Good prospect

Maybe throw in a pick somewhere to even it out. I personally love the Oilers forward line-up right now, and by trading one of Ferguson/Cross, we would still have 7 D spots. One of them added in could even help us get a better prospect or d-man than just Comrie or Comrie and pick would get.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:30 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

After seeing this group of forwards in action last night, I'm thinking that Lowe probably isn't feeling any sense of urgency over the Comrie situation. I'm not expecially convinced that Mike Comrie himself would add anything, and when you can get that kind of balanced performance, I don't think there's any need to add any forward. Right now I'm thinking prospect or defenseman, but I'm in favor of putting the whole Comrie issue on the backburner.

Old
10-10-2003, 09:38 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
Pesonally I want a third line vet RW(sorry Pisani)and a top 5d-man almost 4 like Dandenault and a really exceptional defensive prospect, and get it all for Comrie and a few mid level Lw prospects+ possibly mid-picks
K it sounds like Detroit would part with Dandenault for a 3rd+maybe a 5th far as I am concerned that fixes third line rw should Pisani faulter and 5th d-man which ever need is greater. Now we just trade Comrie for one of the best d prospects we can lay our hands on Krajicek,Whitney,Orpik,Stuart,Hannan,Hainsey,Komis arek, Leopold, and Grebeshkov?
presto Oilers to the Stanley Cup Finals (....or atleast a little closer)

Old
10-10-2003, 09:43 AM
FacelessButcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie
After seeing this group of forwards in action last night, I'm thinking that Lowe probably isn't feeling any sense of urgency over the Comrie situation. I'm not expecially convinced that Mike Comrie himself would add anything, and when you can get that kind of balanced performance, I don't think there's any need to add any forward. Right now I'm thinking prospect or defenseman, but I'm in favor of putting the whole Comrie issue on the backburner.
I think Lowe wants to get resolved as soon as possible while getting a good return,but yes last night was impressive so he should not be any huge rush.I think Lowe will use the Canuck for a measuring stick of our needs as he has fervently pushed that rivalry and this is the game that brings the best out in us should we fall short at our best the problems should be apparent.

Old
10-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Asiaoil

Comrie for Blackburn - allows us to ditch Salo's salary next year unless he agrees to a large salary cut (the goalie market is so bad that Salo would have few options)

Comrie for a young dman - lots of potential guys out there but Nashville and Philly have a ton of great young talent

Comrie plus ? for Stefan and Exelby - still the best all-round deal I've seen put together

Old
10-10-2003, 10:49 AM
Mr Sakich

I don't want a forward to be the return in a comrie trade and here is why:

If lowe gets a forward, it won't be a superstar because of dollars, it won't be a grinder or max 3rd/4th liner because we have enough of those guys signed to long term deals already, it will be a young guy like gomez.

If we get a guy like gomez, then someone like chimera or horcoff is denied top 6 minutes. This stunts their development without a lot of gain. How many extra goals would we score if we had gomez between smyth and hemsky instead of horcoff? Probably less than 20. So the return is just 20 goals.

IMO, lowe should be looking at prospects. Hamhuis, woywitka, suter etc

Old
10-10-2003, 11:16 AM
Chayos

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor dyck
I don't want a forward to be the return in a comrie trade and here is why:

If lowe gets a forward, it won't be a superstar because of dollars, it won't be a grinder or max 3rd/4th liner because we have enough of those guys signed to long term deals already, it will be a young guy like gomez.

If we get a guy like gomez, then someone like chimera or horcoff is denied top 6 minutes. This stunts their development without a lot of gain. How many extra goals would we score if we had gomez between smyth and hemsky instead of horcoff? Probably less than 20. So the return is just 20 goals.

IMO, lowe should be looking at prospects. Hamhuis, woywitka, suter etc

I agree we need to have a D-man coming back in any comrie trade. My 1st choice would be a player we could add to the lineup right now, but if we got someone who could step in after th lockout and play a top 4 role i would be ok with that too.

Old
10-10-2003, 11:53 AM
Oilers4life

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
I'd like to see Comrie be traded with one of our Dmen for a top prospect and a top pairing Dman. Bergeron looked excellent last night - and I think he'll be able to be our puck moving Dman. We can't have Semenov sitting in th PB for extended amounts of time though - that'd be very bad for his career at such a tender age. Thats why if we get a Dman, I'd like to see us sending one back as well.

my thoughts exactly and all along. We need a top pairing Dman to take some load off of Brew and Staois. Fergy and Cross have to go for a more younger, talented and faster player.

Old
10-10-2003, 12:43 PM
ginner classic

Comrie and Rita + ? for Marleau + ? would be very fair. You need a big #1 pivot as badly as you need a d-man. Can trade with Florida to pick up a d-man using Moreau. Best plan IMO. If Marleau starts slow like he did two years ago, I could see San Jose losing patience. Marleau and the ice in Edmonton would be a match made in heaven.

Old
10-10-2003, 02:51 PM
Big T

D-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers4life
my thoughts exactly and all along. We need a top pairing Dman to take some load off of Brew and Staois. Fergy and Cross have to go for a more younger, talented and faster player.

We need a puck moving D-man!! Not just to improve the powerplay but to improve the offense period. Smyth's nice goal from Dvo was created by a terrific outlet pass from Bergeron.

That outlet pass is so critical and allows the forwards to come through the neutral zone with lots of speed. That's Oiler's Hockey!!

When a forward is coming at you with speed it really keeps the opposing defense on their heels and creates offense.

Admittedly I'm biased being from Lloydminster, but a huge reason Ottawa has the offense they have is b/c of guys like Redden making that great first pass out of their own end. Ask any player how much this helps and they'll agree its soooo important.

D-man, D-man, D-man!!!!!

Closed Thread